Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I only just beat Defilled Castle

at this point I did respec to Kusarigama build, whoever recommended it was on point. Goddamn is it a damage dealer. In terms of primary weapon I just upgrade to whatever is the highest thing i pick up. I have yet to forge or even upgrade a single thing at the blacksmith. Am I wrongthinking? It's worked out for me so far but I haven't been soul sperging so I don't know if I'm missing out on some heavenly minmax meta weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Digirat posted:

Ghost cat buddy... :(

Ghost cat is such a straight OG baller that he does't even sweat his own death for a second. He looks at you like "why you sad brah? I did this on purpose, its cool" like, he's so chill he helps YOU mourn HIM. Shame you never get him as a guardian spirit though.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

A couple tips for people who find the loot overwhelming: Nothing matters in NG, so just equip the highest number thing in each slot and sell everything else. You can batch sell stuff by hitting the touchpad in the sell screen and selecting "rare or below" (or exotic) and you only have to do it on 2 of the categories to clear out your inventory. Make sure you lock the stuff you're actually using. Don't even bother soul matching anything until NG+.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Alan Smithee posted:

I only just beat Defilled Castle

at this point I did respec to Kusarigama build, whoever recommended it was on point. Goddamn is it a damage dealer. In terms of primary weapon I just upgrade to whatever is the highest thing i pick up. I have yet to forge or even upgrade a single thing at the blacksmith. Am I wrongthinking? It's worked out for me so far but I haven't been soul sperging so I don't know if I'm missing out on some heavenly minmax meta weapons

The character building is completely revamped in NG+, introducing new mechanics that aren't available in NG.

So don't bother before that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I've died to saiko magoichi like 4 dozen times now. I lost a 250k bloodstain and there's no reason I shouldn't have beaten him on the first go and none of this clicking

It's like he has just enough moves to punish every kind of bad habit and there's nothing particularly hard about him

Please tell me how garbage I am at this game and how you eat him in one go with no elixirs using a spear

And his loving fire arena god loving damnit

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 13, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Can't you just cheat a sl1 run by leveling up for hairs then respeccing with the book to go back to sl1?

I'm sure there's plenty of people doing a true sl1 run from the beginning but it seems easy to cheat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ineffiable posted:

Can't you just cheat a sl1 run by leveling up for hairs then respeccing with the book to go back to sl1?

I'm sure there's plenty of people doing a true sl1 run from the beginning but it seems easy to cheat.

Isn't there a 'hairs consumed' or similar stat on your gameplay record? I assume that stays as is even if you respec.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't see why SL1 has to be SL1 no hairs - no stats is probably plenty hard.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, no hairs and sl1 would mean you have no skills. That sounds very stupid. Like, yeah, it's a legit challenge, but it's closer to the equivalent of an sl1+no weapons run of darksouls. Which is a whole different thing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there a trick I'm missing with Tengu? These birds are jerks.

Shadowbag
Jun 1, 2011

When shitposting, it's always important to properly stretch first.
Soiled Meat
Without magic? Punish their attacks a heavy attack(or two, depending on your weapon) before dodging back to drain their ki, then combo them to get as much damage as you can in.

With magic? Stack element debuffs on them with shots or buffed weapons(sloth helps here) and go hog wild when confusion procs. If they don't have any buddies around to attack you, or if you're good at dodging, Carnage talismans help a great deal.

Or, just avoid them. gently caress tengus.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think the eyes on their chest are actually weak points. I think this because one time I had a ranged weapon with auto target weak point and it aimed for one of their chest eyes.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
I find the key to beating raven tengu, much like Hiro Enma, is knowing what to dodge and what to block. The staff swipe comes out super fast and has a wide sweep, and often they will swoop forward when doing it. This makes it impractical to reliably dodge in any direction. It has to be blocked, and costs surprisingly little ki to do so despite the massive damage it does otherwise. The spin, sonic boom-type move, and air grapple all have long tells and are fairly easy to dodge, the former especially since it has next to no range.

Really, raven tengu are a lot like mini Hino Enmas. Play defensively, know the appropriate counter to each of their moves and punish them a little bit after each.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm a DW/spinny chain ninja, so Git Gud it is.

Can counter moves only be used on humans?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

The sword counters can be used on the smaller skeletons. Haze inflicts knockdown rather than stagger, though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Figures! Got my face smashed when I countered Yokai.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

your best opening is when they do the 2 attack, claw followed by spin. After that spin to win of your own. They are pretty vulnerable to fire too

Cheese tactic: a lot of the optional Tengus don't close the arena and let you run like a bitch. When they go "yeah that's what a I thought" and turn around to go back to napping blast them in the back with a cannon

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

I've died to saiko magoichi like 4 dozen times now. I lost a 250k bloodstain and there's no reason I shouldn't have beaten him on the first go and none of this clicking

It's like he has just enough moves to punish every kind of bad habit and there's nothing particularly hard about him

Please tell me how garbage I am at this game and how you eat him in one go with no elixirs using a spear

And his loving fire arena god loving damnit

When he's in the air, if you hit him with a kunai or shuriken attack, he'll fall down and let you execute a finishing blow on him. He pops up there pretty frequently, so you can continuously punish him for it for tons of damage.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Kagon posted:

When he's in the air, if you hit him with a kunai or shuriken attack, he'll fall down and let you execute a finishing blow on him. He pops up there pretty frequently, so you can continuously punish him for it for tons of damage.

Yeah I got him down. In my defense I had a self imposed "talisman healing only" policy for a while...

Shadowbag
Jun 1, 2011

When shitposting, it's always important to properly stretch first.
Soiled Meat
Do people really have that much of a problem with Saika? He was probably my favorite human boss to fight. With both of us dashing all over the arena it f felt like a dragon ball fight without the monologues and charge times.

Then again I probably have bad tastes, since spider boss is one of my faves too.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Saika was a fun fight, but that's because he was the first actually-challenging battle since Muneshige.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the Tengu advice, guys. They're a pain but being more patient allowed me to tackle them much more easily. :shobon:

However, being patient doesn't really work with another enemy type - Revenants. I'm not struggling with them as such, but I can't seem to consistently break their guard. This isn't a problem with most human enemies, but Revenants seem to love going on the defensive and the abilities I have for dual katana and spinny chain seem reliant on hitting with a combo, something that obviously doesn't work when I clang against a raised guard.

At the moment I kinda cheese them by spamming the spinny chain's "get over here" type abilities, which stumbles the enemy forward and leaves them vulnerable. That doesn't feel particularly elegant though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

there's nothing wrong with using the scorpion. It is but another valid option for killing

use the high stance square attack if they are low on stamina because they can break them, though it's risky since you need to get in close. Best tried and true method for hitting a revenant regardless of level? Bait and memorize attacks and move in when they miss after the last combo chain. It sounds like git gud but if you're so worried about being elegant then well, git gud

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Also if you dont want to take risks while they have their guard up use an item like yokai water pots to drop em

If you want to use the scorpion but feel skillzed then do the scorpion and then switch to power stance and spin to win

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do the enemies ever stop killing you super fast while taking forever to be killed?

I'm in the third region and honestly all the bosses are awfully punishing for seemingly no reason and I just want to be a wizard.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Do the enemies ever stop killing you super fast while taking forever to be killed?

I'm in the third region and honestly all the bosses are awfully punishing for seemingly no reason and I just want to be a wizard.

Well if you're a wizard, you're playing easy mode. Against Yokai bosses, anyway. Inflict 2 elemental status effects at the same time to trigger the "Confusion" (previously called "Discord") status and win the game.

Are you using the best gear available?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Turtlicious posted:

I've done two main missions in the third region and they seemed pretty lenient. Definitely none as bad as umi-bozu in region 2. Are you stuck somewhere?

Almost all of the bosses kill me in, say, two good attacks in a row, but that's kind of expected since that's a big fuckup. There's plenty of windows for healing between hits.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
What does auto aim weak spots actually do?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Are you a wizard? Because you should have all the tools you need by now to start seriously wrecking some bosses' faces. Equip yourself with an elemental weapon, two flavours of elemental shot, and a Guardian Spirit, none of which use the same element (my typical loadout for a long time was an Earth katana, a Wind spear, Lightning and Water shots, and the Fire spirit Hi-Nezumi) plus Extraction, Sloth, and Pleiades talismans. Activate the Extraction and Pleiades talismans before you enter the boss arena. Tag the boss with Sloth, and then enough shots to trip their elemental effects (and therefore Confusion). Move in and start hitting the boss with your melee weapon until its elemental effect trips, lengthening the Confusion. Then activate your Living Weapon and carve them to pieces.

Here's one of my earliest videos, when I was still getting used to the technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2OfPY04fDQ

Here's one of the first videos I did on NG+, after I perfected the technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlBWksrHgo4

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Calidus posted:

When you are locked onto a target and hit the aim button, you automatically aim for their weak spot. For humans, this is the head, for some yokai, it's the horn, or the eye. It varies. It's pretty handy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Calidus posted:

When you go into targeting mode with a gun or bow, your cursor automatically ends up on one of the targeted enemy's weak spots, like their head, the Umi-bozu's glowy bit, or a Biwa boku-boku's instrument.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I've done two main missions in the third region and they seemed pretty lenient. Definitely none as bad as umi-bozu in region 2. Are you stuck somewhere?

Almost all of the bosses kill me in, say, two good attacks in a row, but that's kind of expected since that's a big fuckup. There's plenty of windows for healing between hits.

bozos are fire easy mode. Two shots bye bye

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ugh and I had just re-specced out of wizard because I thought it was useless.

Does that mean all of my locks of hair uses are now gone?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
No, you don't lose anything for respeccing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I take back all complaints about the vampire woman. This loving ice mage in Falling Snow can charge and use her grab attack while I'm reeling from any of her other attacks, then charge and use the grab attack on me before I regain control of my character.

The difficulty of these bosses is all over the place. Spider lady got her arse kicked across the castle by comparison.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh great, I have to go and farm some loving elixirs. what the gently caress is with games and this stupid loving system argh

Done for the night.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

I take back all complaints about the vampire woman. This loving ice mage in Falling Snow can charge and use her grab attack while I'm reeling from any of her other attacks, then charge and use the grab attack on me before I regain control of my character.

The difficulty of these bosses is all over the place. Spider lady got her arse kicked across the castle by comparison.

I beat the ice mage in one go, the vampire however was a long time of controller throwing anger before I ended up spending most of the fight sprinting to the left and pot-shotting her. I'm later in to the game and there's a few bosses that I heard horror stories about that weren't bad at all, especially compared to that drat paralyzing vampire, or the Tachibana duel. :bang:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Tachibana was optional at least, ugh.

I'm just pissed because it doesn't feel like I'm making mistakes. I can't block those loving icicles without getting staggered, and she spams so many of them that I run out of stamina dodging the first few barrages - and this is with light armour on. Of course with light armour if I get hit once my character flails like a moron, and it leaves me wide open for her follow-up. I hate hate hate hate hate bosses like this.

Maybe sleeping on it and coming back to her will help, but loving hell.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You never have to farm elixers in this game. You get free ones every spawn. If 5 elixers can't get you through a boss fight, you have other problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't care. There is literally no reason for Souls-esque games to do anything but provide full top-ups of your disposable resources between deaths.