Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Look I dunno about all that fire science I'm just saying that when you get the pan very hot it tastes like the real deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Adding some alcohol and setting it on fire does the job pretty well too. An overlooked key component for kung pao chicken.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Is there anything alcohol cannot do?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Jeoh posted:

Is there anything alcohol cannot do?

Put out fires.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There Bias Two posted:

Put out fires.

Sure it can, just have to add so much so fast that it suffocates it. So as usual, the solution to the problem is more alcohol.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Arglebargle III posted:

I would fight a raccoon for lotus root.
I don't "get" lotus root. It sounds good but I got some once and it was basically inedible and I had no idea what to do with it, so probably ended up tossing it out.

What are you supposed to do to make it good?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

coyo7e posted:

I don't "get" lotus root. It sounds good but I got some once and it was basically inedible and I had no idea what to do with it, so probably ended up tossing it out.

What are you supposed to do to make it good?

Most common way is soup, either by itself or more often in a chicken soup. It's supposed to have the consistency of an... Al dente potato? Some bite but soft. Good lotus will also have a strong lotus flavor, however finding good lotus in the west is difficult in my experience.

You can also slice it thin and make chips with it, which are delicious as gently caress and my personal favorite bar snack.

Basically think of it as any other tuber, but with a distinct yet easily overridden flavor.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay that does help a lot, thanks! I like cooking with potatoes and turnips and rutabegas and that sounds very doable. It also explains the fried lotus - I imagine it would do well as a tempura type thing or something as well?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I still want to try THIS

http://kimchimari.com/yeonkeun-jorim/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Lotus is great fried, soup sounds weird I don't think I've ever seen that in Sichuan. Think of it like a potato but it will never get soft the way a potato does, it always retains some bite. It doesn't have much flavor on its own, it adds crunchy.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

coyo7e posted:

Okay that does help a lot, thanks! I like cooking with potatoes and turnips and rutabegas and that sounds very doable. It also explains the fried lotus - I imagine it would do well as a tempura type thing or something as well?

You could tempura it but I mostly see it thinly sliced and fried by itself, sometimes seasoned but often just by itself.
You can also "candy" them. A fancy shmancy cocktail bar in Beijing did a vodka, melon, lemon verbena cocktail with a candied lotus chip that soaked up the flavor but remained crunchy and I came.

Grand Fromage posted:

Lotus is great fried, soup sounds weird I don't think I've ever seen that in Sichuan. Think of it like a potato but it will never get soft the way a potato does, it always retains some bite. It doesn't have much flavor on its own, it adds crunchy.

It may be a Yunnan thing, they throw lotus in everything here. You'll even get chunks of steamed lotus in like a kung pao chicken dish (AKA how can I use less meat but still make this filling?), but soup seems to be the most common, either chicken or beef.

Also my in-laws order sliced lotus every drat time we do hotpot, and I personally like it as a hotpot addition.

It's really almost as flexible as potato, but I've yet to see anyone do a lotus hash, mashed lotus or lotus cakes yet. I may play around with that myself though...

EDIT: As far as lotus flavor it's really hit or miss. I've had lotus that could flavor a soup on its own but most lotus is very mild and used more to soak up other flavors and serve as a texture (soft with a bite) - again, think generic tuber. Personally I often do a quick side soup of lotus, napa, salt and pepper (or just napa, salt, pepper and some pork fat) with whatever else for the meal.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 11, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Grand Fromage posted:

yeah I think a lot of my problem was that I know gently caress-all about lotus except I read about it getting people high in Homer once. I saw it at the asian market brined in a jar and tried it raw and went "ugh" and could not fathom that flavor being in anything. But if it's just a starchy filler or whatever, I can work with that. :)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Crispy Stuffed Lotus Root With Pork is one of my fav things to do with lotus root.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Casu Marzu posted:

Crispy Stuffed Lotus Root With Pork is one of my fav things to do with lotus root.

That reminds me of another stuffed lotus dish I've seen: stuff with sticky rice, steam, slice and drizzle honey over the slices.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Amergin posted:

That reminds me of another stuffed lotus dish I've seen: stuff with sticky rice, steam, slice and drizzle honey over the slices.

That's called "Gui hua lian ou" or "Osmanthus Lotus" but I'm guessing it has a better English name I just don't know. It's a pretty good, but hard to find if the place isn't especially Zhejiang/Jiangsu/Shanghai-y.

There's an eggplant version of the above fried dish (called "eggplant cake" I guess?? chinese name is 茄子饼) that I am a huge fan of. Do basically the same thing but with slices of eggplant, and it's easier to cut them into little tacos to stuff with filling without breaking compared to lotus.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

coyo7e posted:

yeah I think a lot of my problem was that I know gently caress-all about lotus except I read about it getting people high in Homer once. I saw it at the asian market brined in a jar and tried it raw and went "ugh" and could not fathom that flavor being in anything. But if it's just a starchy filler or whatever, I can work with that. :)

That is like trying to eat a raw potato.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Makes sense with potatoes here normally being undercooked to the point of basically being raw.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I Do Not Agree

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Arglebargle III posted:

That is like trying to eat a raw potato.
I've never seen a raw potato brined in a jar, looked like pickles :haw:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

I Do Not Agree

Ain't never seen no 土豆丝 that wasn't undercooked and crunchy, for the most obvious example.

I was surprised at those vinegar farmer potatoes we got that one time because they were actually cooked properly, that was the first time I didn't have crunchy potatoes here.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Ain't never seen no 土豆丝 that wasn't undercooked and crunchy, for the most obvious example.

I was surprised at those vinegar farmer potatoes we got that one time because they were actually cooked properly, that was the first time I didn't have crunchy potatoes here.

My wife calls them "half-cooked potatoes" and I give her poo poo that she'll eat that but doesn't like her pasta al dente.

To be fair a "properly cooked" "half-cooked" potato is pretty good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have been meaning to make those vinegar potats.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Casu Marzu posted:

Quoting because this looks incredible and I want to remember it

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Quoting because this looks incredible and I want to remember it

Pretty much every recipe on that site is great.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

Pretty much every recipe on that site is great.

Their chili oil recipe is incredible. I've been going through way too much of it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Wow, that blog is fantastic. That and the Mala Project probably belong in the OP.

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.
Anyone managed to reproduce the angry lady sauce? Got a recipe to share? Thanks!

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

themongol posted:

Anyone managed to reproduce the angry lady sauce? Got a recipe to share? Thanks!

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Spicy_Chili_Crisp_(Angry_Lady_Sauce,_Lao_Gan_Ma)

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
We love Martin Yan's lo mein recipe, and we always have used fresh pre-cooked lo mein noodles from the Asian grocery.

We didn't make it for a long time, and now whenever we make this, the noodles are coming out sticky and gloppy - even though I can't think of any changes we may have made in the recipe or cooking process.

What gives? Should I look for a different brand of noodle, or start using the fresh noodles you have to boil / parcook first?

This is the recipe we use, except skipping step 2.

quote:

Ingredients
Oyster flavored sauce 2 Teaspoon (10 Milliliter)
Sesame oil 1 Teaspoon (5 Milliliter)
White pepper 1 Pinch
Wine 1 Teaspoon (5 Milliliter)
Boneless lean pork 4 Ounce, cut into 2" (5 cm) long strips (112 Gram)
Chinese noodles 10 Ounce (306 Gram)
Oil 45 Milliliter (4 Tablespoon)
Shredded cabbage 250 Milliliter (1 Cup)
Shredded bamboo shoots 125 Milliliter (1/2 Cup)
Dried black mushrooms 4 , soaked and shredded
Dark soy sauce 1 Teaspoon (5 Milliliter)
Light soy sauce 4 Teaspoon (20 Milliliter)
Sugar 1 Teaspoon (5 Milliliter)
Soup stock 80 Milliliter (1/3 Cup)
Bean sprouts 500 Milliliter, rinsed (2 Cups)
Directions

1. Marinade pork for 30 minutes.
2. Parboil noodle in ample boiling water in a large pot for 3 minutes until tender. Rinse well under cold tap water, drain and sprinkle 1 teaspoon sesame oil over noodles, toss and set aside.
3. Heat oil in hot wok over high heat. Add marinated pork, stirring for 1 1/2 minutes. Put in cabbage, bamboo shoots and mushrooms stirring for another minute. Add the remaining ingredients, except bean sprouts, stirring well. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add cooked noodles and bean sprouts into wok. Stir-fry for another 1-2 minutes until well blended.

We change up the recipe veggies, generally using julienned carrots, green onions, shiitakes and snow peas, sometimes bell pepper. The flavor is great, so I'd like to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Maybe we should toss the pre-cooked noodles in sesame oil?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Ahh that explains why the 2nd glass of "angry lady" I bought tasted more like "slightly miffed lady"... I bought the black bean variation instead of the pure chilly one by accident. The 1st glass I bought had no euro-friendly letters so I assumed there was only that kind and the one with mushrooms or chicken. The more you know...

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Hopper posted:

Ahh that explains why the 2nd glass of "angry lady" I bought tasted more like "slightly miffed lady"... I bought the black bean variation instead of the pure chilly one by accident. The 1st glass I bought had no euro-friendly letters so I assumed there was only that kind and the one with mushrooms or chicken. The more you know...

I wouldn't say that the chili crisp one is just straight up hotter/more chili flavor and that's the only difference. I think it just has a much stronger flavor, and I daresay you'll be happy you have both of them for different purposes.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Favorite hot and sour soup recipe(s)?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Someone linked a youtube video of a grandma in HK showing how to make it. I don't have the video handy but do have this: http://imgur.com/a/lFbl8

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I kept Googling and found this recipe, which also looks good.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

EVG posted:

We love Martin Yan's lo mein recipe, and we always have used fresh pre-cooked lo mein noodles from the Asian grocery.

We didn't make it for a long time, and now whenever we make this, the noodles are coming out sticky and gloppy - even though I can't think of any changes we may have made in the recipe or cooking process.

What gives? Should I look for a different brand of noodle, or start using the fresh noodles you have to boil / parcook first?

This is the recipe we use, except skipping step 2.

We change up the recipe veggies, generally using julienned carrots, green onions, shiitakes and snow peas, sometimes bell pepper. The flavor is great, so I'd like to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Maybe we should toss the pre-cooked noodles in sesame oil?

No one? :(

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sorry I don't know about that.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Try not skipping step two and seeing what happens. Otherwise, more intense stirring in the beginning?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
You can pickle lotus root too and it comes out pretty rad

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I've tried several times to make chinese-restaurant style egg drop soup but it never comes out right. I know it isn't real chinese food, but its nice to have sometimes.

Anyone know a trick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
In what ways are your attempts falling short?