Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Just read the chapter and... do the spriggan 12 even know about Zeref's curse of contradictions, or do they not know and think that his actions make for a great king?

Just wondering since I don't remember much about this arc anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Even I don't remember the Curse of Contradictions, so what are the chances of the in-universe characters knowing or remembering.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Amnesia is a common side-effect of the consumption of Fairy Tail.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The curse was that when Zeref's was in good guy mode, he killed all living things he came into contact with. When he's in bad guy mode he doesn't passively kill everything.

Which is part of why his actually trying to save the world doesn't jive. Good mode Zeref's loves all things and is totally without malace. Bad mode Zeref by definition does not give a gently caress, thus is incapable of caring about what Acnologia does through any prism other that it annoying him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Just read the chapter and... do the spriggan 12 even know about Zeref's curse of contradictions, or do they not know and think that his actions make for a great king?

curse of what?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Hate-Senpai posted:

Even I don't remember the Curse of Contradictions, so what are the chances of the in-universe characters knowing or remembering.

Fabricated posted:

Amnesia is a common side-effect of the consumption of Fairy Tail.

Manatee Cannon posted:

curse of what?

Oh no it's too late :gonk: curse of amnesia has spread too far.

Gyges posted:

The curse was that when Zeref's was in good guy mode, he killed all living things he came into contact with.

I saw it as:
Zeref loves life -> Life around him dies

and just now:
Good job Rahkeid let's get you a car -> gently caress off Rahkeid gonna blast your heart

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I believe the specific thing was when he cared for people/things. That's what triggers the kill everything, and that's why he doesn't care for his son. Unfortunately, the viewer doesn't care.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Since Fairy Tail gives you amnesia, here's what Zeref says his curse is

Also later in the chapter he is quite clear that he's in gently caress all humans mode, so either Mashima forgot Zeref isn't performing a secret triple double bluff to save humanity, or Zeref forgot he wants to destroy everything due to prolonged Fairy Tail contact.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
But due to the curse of contradictions, Zeref actually wants Acnologia and humans to get along.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Zeref is natsu's brother and mavis's boyfriend there is a 0% chance he doesn't get friendship punched into being a goodguy

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Elfgames posted:

Zeref is natsu's brother and mavis's boyfriend there is a 0% chance he doesn't get friendship punched into being a goodguy

I don't know, Erza's mom just kind of unceremoniously killed herself.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So wait, is the point of this chapter that he's the son of those two? Ah, man, why does FT have to be so yucky.

I assumed he was artificial life, and that was the point.

And yeah August is clearly stating they don't know about the CoC.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

chumbler posted:

I don't know, Erza's mom just kind of unceremoniously killed herself.

Resurrection in 3... 2... 1...

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
According to the Curse of Contradictions, she just saved herself.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gyges posted:

Since Fairy Tail gives you amnesia, here's what Zeref says his curse is

Also later in the chapter he is quite clear that he's in gently caress all humans mode, so either Mashima forgot Zeref isn't performing a secret triple double bluff to save humanity, or Zeref forgot he wants to destroy everything due to prolonged Fairy Tail contact.

There was point, I think during the flashback where Mavis and Zeref hook up, where Zeref starts contradicting himself with every thought. One second he wants to see Natsu again and be brotherly, the next he wants Natsu dead. It gets confusing trying to keep up with every motivation Zeref has claimed caused his actions.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The beauty of having a villain with so many conflicting motivations is that when the time comes, the author can just pick one of the motivations and go all-in on that to achieve the desired ending.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I like Zeref's conflicting motivations thing. At first I assumed he was just badly written and/or I was forgetting plot points, but eventually it was revealed that he's supposed to be that way.

It does become a lot less clever when you realize how many other Fairy Tail characters really do have conflicting motivations because of bad writing, though.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
The conflicting motivations are fine (for Zeref). It's just that he could do with more breakdowns trying to deal with the contradictions.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The curse does mess up Zeref's thoughts as well

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha I take it back, Mashima, you loving madman, I can't believe you've done this.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
pretty gross all things considered.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
New chapter.

What? How?

I have no words. I don't know how we can top this.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
I wasn't prepared for that. I thought I've seen everything this lovely manga has to offer and now we got... this.

gently caress you Mashima.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You guys are really being harsh on Gilldartz finally being a good dad.

Nice of August to finally answer the question he keeps asking though. Should have nutted up like Cana did, son.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
:psyduck:

Well played, Mashima.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Am I missing something? What was uniquely horrible about this chapter?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Yeah I'm not getting it either.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

sharktamer posted:

Yeah I'm not getting it either.

goons

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The twist seemed clever at first, but now that I think about it, didn't August say something about only Rakheid's mother being able to defeat him? But now it turns out Rakheid doesn't even have a mother, and it's August who's the child of Zeref and Mavis. I might have to reread the earlier chapters to see exactly what August said about Rakheid.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

U-DO Burger posted:

Am I missing something? What was uniquely horrible about this chapter?

It's not outright horrible (that was last chapter), but it's just too stupid even for Mashima.

Silver2195 posted:

The twist seemed clever at first, but now that I think about it, didn't August say something about only Rakheid's mother being able to defeat him? But now it turns out Rakheid doesn't even have a mother, and it's August who's the child of Zeref and Mavis. I might have to reread the earlier chapters to see exactly what August said about Rakheid.

It really doesn't work. It's a twist for the sake of a twist, and requires too many dumb and uncomfortable things to happen so it can work.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Fairy Tail is built on a shoddy make-it-up-as-you-go plot with dumb twists. This is pretty much par for the course imo

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Kuroyama posted:

New chapter.

What? How?

I have no words. I don't know how we can top this.
it was hinted at several weeks ago. still really dumb.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

It's a Macbeth sorta dealio. He can only be defeated by his mother -> he has no mother -> no one can defeat him -> he is invincible.

However, since this is shounen, the loophole of FRIENDSHIP overcomes Scottish prophecies.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
You know what I'm confused about, how the gently caress did Mavis give birth to this child? Wasn't she in stasis for many many years? I don't even remember the chapter about her...

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

You know what I'm confused about, how the gently caress did Mavis give birth to this child? Wasn't she in stasis for many many years? I don't even remember the chapter about her...

Some questions are better left unanswered.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think the major issue of having someone who can copy skills / magic / whatever or people who are walking encyclopedia of magical skills / techniques is that most authors never really have characters make full force of all these abilities they have supposedly acquired, and then them stick with 1 or 2 abilities or just copy the ability of the opponents they fight. There's rarely any attempt to show that these characters live up to their reputations.

Like, the only exceptions to this are probably Katanagatari (where the character copying the skills is actually weaker because all the techniques she's copied are inferior to what she can actually do), Chrollo from Hunter x Hunter, and Han Bi-kwang from Ruler of the Land (he doesn't really copy skills that much anymore but he does bust out the ones he did learn frequently, and even uses them to get the mental edge on his opponents).

Like the two (August and Rufus from Sabertooth, maybe more???) magic copying guys from Fairy Tail or all those characters in Naruto like Kakashi or the Third Hokage feel mostly like one-trick ponies or one-note characters.

EDIT: Oh, can't believe I forgot My Hero Academia, that was good too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Suspicious Lump posted:

When did they have sex given that she became comatose at their first kiss

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

don't ask questions you don't want answered

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

don't ask questions you don't want answered

How did she give birth inside a crystal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Angry Grimace posted:

We're supposed to use Zeref's words this chapter to infer that Mavis lied and they were able to go further before her coma.

• Locked thread