Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

The direction the UUP will go will be dependant on which side of the vote they want to steal, further take some of the DUPs voters or eat into the SDLP share. If they are anything like other british establishment parties they'll skew conservative and lose out, because they aren't fire and brimstone.

I think they may be eyeing up some of Alliances votes tbh though who knows if they'll be forthcoming

Also Brokenshire is making some noise about maybe actually going for a second election in three weeks which would be pretty funny imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
True story, I thought Brokenshire was a nickname the media had started calling Northern Ireland

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I can't stop seeing him as a character played by The Actor Kevin Eldon.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Huh, so it's actually happening then

Irish times posted:

A referendum on granting Irish citizens abroad the right to vote in Irish presidential elections is to be held the Taoiseach has announced.

Speaking in Philadelphia, Enda Kenny said the proposed change, which will also apply to those living in Northern Ireland, will mark a “historic recognition of the strong and enduring links between Ireland and all our citizens, wherever they are in the world.”
“Today’s announcement is a profound recognition of the importance that Ireland attaches to all of our citizens, wherever they may be. It is an opportunity for us to make our country stronger by allowing all of our citizens resident outside the State, including our emigrants, to vote in future presidential elections,” the Taoiseach said.

He added that he was “especially pleased to be making this announcement as we prepare for our worldwide celebration of St Patrick’s Day and of all that is Irish.”

The decision to hold a referendum, which was taken by the cabinet last week, builds on the findings of the convention on the constitution in 2013 which recommended that the constitution be amended to provide for citizens resident outside the State, including Northern Ireland, to have the right to vote at presidential elections.

The Government will now publish a paper by the end of the month setting out a range of options on how to give effect to the recommendations of the convention. The issue will also be discussed at the Global Irish Civic Forum due to take place in Dublin in May, but it is unlikely that the changes, if passed in a referendum, would be implemented before the next presidential election due in 2018.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

kustomkarkommando posted:

Huh, so it's actually happening then
Plot twist: Arlene Foster gets voted in as President of Ireland due to very loyal support by newly-minted Irish citizens in NI, and spends all seven years riven by existential turmoil.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How easy is it to claim Irish citizenship based on ancestry? Or is he only talking about Irish-born emigrants?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Badger of Basra posted:

How easy is it to claim Irish citizenship based on ancestry? Or is he only talking about Irish-born emigrants?

if your grandparents are legit Irish, then not very difficult at all.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

You're entitled to claim citizenship if you have an Irish-born Grandparent, you have to jump through quite a few hoops in terms of producing documentation proving this (death certificates, marriage certificates etc) and the process is not cheap (its something over €1000 a pop I think excluding the costs of securing copies of all the documents need).

Estimates usually put the combined number of non-resident citizens at about 3.5 million, of that about 1.2 million are Irish born emigres - for reference the electoral register is currently about 3.3 million.

When it comes to Presidential election the proposal has usually focused on ALL foreign resident citizens, will need to wait for the Government's proposals but I would imagine that's the jist of it - allowing foreign resident citizens to vote in Dail election has always been a bit more of a thorny issue and a fair number of proposals have focused on using a UK-style last registered constituency system rather than French style foreign constituencies to whittle the franchise down to emigres.

The process of nominations for Presidential elections still requires winning support either from 20 members of either house or nominations from 4 of the 31 local councils so a mass influx of foreign born voters might not change the tickets too much - people have often argued against the extension of voting rights to foreign born citizens on the grounds they don't "get" Irish politics and will vote for the god drat shinners/some loon.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

kustomkarkommando posted:

You're entitled to claim citizenship if you have an Irish-born Grandparent, you have to jump through quite a few hoops in terms of producing documentation proving this (death certificates, marriage certificates etc) and the process is not cheap (its something over €1000 a pop I think excluding the costs of securing copies of all the documents need).

It's €270 according to this. Unless I'm missing another step or something.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

WeAreTheRomans posted:

if your grandparents are legit Irish, then not very difficult at all.

how about irish american

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I might be getting confused with naturalisation fees tbh

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I think you are. It's expensive to become an Irish citizen as an immigrant whose resided here long enough to be eligible.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
I'd be in favour of giving a vote to recent emigrants (ie less than 12/24 months), who're somewhat likely to return home in the near future. I'd actually be in favour of them getting a small Dail constituency too - maybe a 2 or 3 seater.

But its a bit ridiculous giving it to people who've been gone for decades and are likely never coming home. Or who have never lived in Ireland.

We'd end up in a situation with millions of those annoying Irish-American "UP THE RA" types getting to ignorantly cast votes without suffering the consequences.

I'll be curious to see how polls show the public thinks about it.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Marenghi posted:

I think you are. It's expensive to become an Irish citizen as an immigrant whose resided here long enough to be eligible.

Yeah my missus will be doing this next year and it ain't cheap. It's also €350 a year for a GNIB card, and a wasted workday spent both of us queuing in the shithole GNIB office every year

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I'm for voting rights for residents, not citizens abroad. Give the vote to some poor fucker in direct provision, not some other fucker who left for Australia 20 years ago with no skin in the game.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It should be that people have to travel home to vote.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Southpaugh posted:

I'm for voting rights for residents, not citizens abroad. Give the vote to some poor fucker in direct provision, not some other fucker who left for Australia 20 years ago with no skin in the game.

Well, residents can vote in local elections. But yeah generally I'm with you on this, though I would be hesitant to disenfranchise the diaspora who have been forced abroad but still wish to have an impact on the political landscape back home

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Personally I think it's a great idea, if only because it'll be funny to see the die hard unionist side of my family struggle with the dilemma: do they refuse to participate in a free stater election or do they dirty their hands to vote against Gerry??

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

As a Nordie I support extending the franchise for presidential elections to all citizens, I think the current situation where we can run even if we are not resident but not vote is more than a bit incongruous - and I don't think creating a special class of citizenship marked "actually Irish wink wink" that covers Northerners but excludes any other citizens resident outside the state makes good civic sense

The Dail is another matter and I generally favour constituency orientated voting, the senate makes more sense to me for diaspora representation - I mean there are already franchises for senate seats that allow nonresident voting, I think creating one or two senate positions to represent nonresident citizens will hardly swing much

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

As an irishman abroad I should have the vote to save you fuckers from yourselves

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Lol they'd never give all the people they hosed over a vote that had any real consequences. Any chance that this will turn into a huge embarrassment, where Irish-Americans and Unionists sign up in droves to push through a hyper-conservative president, by Irish standards? Or would he still have to be vetted by the local councillors?

Also give UL students their seanad votes before having a referendum on this, you fucks. I want my worthless second vote. My sister has two of them! I mentioned this to a Belgian once and he raged at the idea of people having not one, but three votes, even if the other two were pretty much useless.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah my missus will be doing this next year and it ain't cheap. It's also €350 a year for a GNIB card, and a wasted workday spent both of us queuing in the shithole GNIB office every year

€350 a year for a GNIB card? what the gently caress? My wife does this too and it doesn't cost that much.

Also be aware they changed the loving system without telling anyone and you have to register on some lovely broken website within ten weeks of your appointment that will likely result in you getting an appointment after the card expires with no way to actually get anything done to fix it. So happy days you don't have to queue from 6am in the morning any more but you may have your wife deported because GNIB doesn't know what the gently caress they are doing.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

lemonadesweetheart posted:

€350 a year for a GNIB card? what the gently caress? My wife does this too and it doesn't cost that much.

Also be aware they changed the loving system without telling anyone and you have to register on some lovely broken website within ten weeks of your appointment that will likely result in you getting an appointment after the card expires with no way to actually get anything done to fix it. So happy days you don't have to queue from 6am in the morning any more but you may have your wife deported because GNIB doesn't know what the gently caress they are doing.

Yeah cheers for the heads up mate, we've got the appointment sorted. But yeah trust GNIB to replace a hilariously broken system with an equally terrible one.

And yep €350 it is. Might be different prices for different countries, she's American. Sigh only one more year... :smith:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I was asking my missus and hers is 300 for the year. I remember mates used to complain about it being 200~ so maybe they've been increasing the price over the years.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Oh they have, hers was I think 85 a few years ago and then jumped up to 350. Because why the gently caress not, noone gives a poo poo or has any interest in advocating for refugees, let alone legal immigrants with jobs.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

My wife is Malaysian and we paid like 10 euro or something at the start. Nothing for renewal. That is really weird.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

My Argentine girlfriend just got her Italian citizenship in preparation for studying in the UK (hopefully that will still make life easier). With it she gets to vote for a senator and vote in presidential elections. Italy will grant citizenship if you can prove you have an Italian antecedent, so technically if you've got a great great great great grandmother from Naples you too can get an Italian passport.

It does seem a bit crazy that Ireland doesn't grant any representation to citizens abroad considering the historic diaspora. I'd be in favour of a few senate seats and presidential votes for anyone that can prove residency in the last 20 years. Longer than that and i can see a strong argument for not only being out of touch with current issues but being insulated from the effects.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Considering the purely ceremonial powers of the president I'm not sure there is really a great deal of consequences tbh

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hello everyone just letting you know:

https://twitter.com/maxwellstrachan/status/841309446559170561

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I'm not gonna vote Shinner now or anything, but mad respect to Jonathan O Briens answer

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I like Pat Buckley's answer.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Okay that 300 euro thing was doing my head in so I went to their website and checked. If you're an Irish citizen and the person applying for the card is your spouse they are exempt the fee. There's a few other exemptions for refugees and stuff.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Okay that 300 euro thing was doing my head in so I went to their website and checked. If you're an Irish citizen and the person applying for the card is your spouse they are exempt the fee. There's a few other exemptions for refugees and stuff.

This is important information thankyou, and important that I never tell my girlfriend this. She's determined to get citizenship by herself anyway, seems to think marrying me would be ''cheating'' or something, even though she only has a visa because we're going out anyway :confused:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/MattZeitlin/status/842803779825229824

(The Federalist is a very dumb website run by conservative intellectual types)

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

But then what do you wear on the 12th :confused:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Kenny seems to be digging his heels in

Irish Times posted:

Supporters of Enda Kenny in the Fine Gael party believe he should stay on as Taoiseach until the summer, given British prime minister Theresa May’s delay in formally triggering Brexit negotiations.

The Taoiseach has not given any indication as to when he will step down from his position, other than to say he would definitively address the issue upon his return from his trip to the United States.

Speaking in New York on Friday, Mr Kenny told reporters that the separate talks on Brexit and on forming a Northern Ireland executive “are priorities that take precedence over anything else” including the Fine Gael leadership.

There is a view shared by many Fine Gael TDs and Senators the leadership transition will not now take place until the EU Council agrees the terms of the divorce settlement with Britain.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/enda-kenny-may-stay-as-taoiseach-until-june-say-supporters-1.3016087

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Wasn't he supposed to stay on just until the US visit? Are they going to keep finding new things to push out his resignation? The next six months of Enda Kenny will be crucial.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Wasn't he supposed to stay on just until the US visit? Are they going to keep finding new things to push out his resignation? The next six months of Enda Kenny will be crucial.

A lot of people understood his comments about making a statement on his leadership post-US visit as a sign he would officially open up the leadership contest - and there has been all but open campaigning from his potential successors recently with people taking pretty open soundings for support.

Seems he might not be accommodating as some people hoped - He is about a month shy of breaking Costello's record as the longest ever serving FG Taoiseach and there was some speculation he would hold on by his fingernails to add that notch to his belt (alongside his current record of being the only FG leader to ever secure two consecutive terms as Taosieach and the record of being the longest serving FG leader which he'll secure in a couple of days). Part of it as well seems to be his relative hostility to the two favourite candidates to replace him, Coveneny and Varadkar, neither of which are from his camp and there have been a couple of news stories circulating about attempts to draft a third runner closer to his allies to join the contest. Kenny seems pretty adamant that he will not be pushed out and will not have his timetable dictated to him by those within the cabinet unhappy with his leadership.

Not sure those within FG who favor his exit will do much though. There was talk before the US visit of instigated a formal vote of no-confidence in him as a leader but I don't think either of the two big contenders have the stomach to knife Enda, they know it won't play well in the party and Kenny hasn't stayed leader without seeing off those kind of challenges - the failed 2010 attempt to oust him (a move backed by Varadkar incidentally) demonstrated that Kenny can and will stare down his opponents if cornered and no-one particular wants to add an internal feud to FG's growing list of problems.

Though the polling that's showing FG continuing to lose support and FF widen it's polling lead might give them pause for thought - no one really thinks Kenny should lead the party into another election and the McCabe scandal showed the government is one medium sized GUBU away from collapse, 6 months may be a bit too generous. The last published poll put SF one point ahead of FG as well which may very well trigger massive alarm bells.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Also, in the same speech about his priorities he seemed to give further support to the comments that have been circulating that if no Northern Ireland Executive can be put in place by March 27th there will indeed by another election:

Belfast Telegraph posted:

"I hope that the elected Members of the Assembly will now focus through their parties on actually putting an Executive in place within the three weeks from the date of the election," he said.

"If that doesn't happen the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland would then either have to hold further elections, or have direct rule again from Britain.

"I have spoken very clearly to the British Prime Minister and we are both agreed that there will be no return to direct rule from London.

"So I do hope that the Executive can be put in place, because this has implications for the peace process."

A lot of people here, and arguably the parties, thought before the election happened a period of direct rule was most likely - the Tories made noises about how they where only considering a return of devolved government after the election but most people saw that as just refusing to discuss the issue but it's looking like they where pretty serious about it. NI Secretary of State James Brokenshire also sent a letter to MPs talking about a second election if the talks fail to yield an executive.

Good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Martin McGuinness is dead

• Locked thread