Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

bloodychill posted:

A 7 isn't even that bad a score. In games in general, 7 is still in the "it's a good game" region.

Maybe from Jim a 7 is good but the industry has been working with a 6-10 range and people 's expectations have been trained accordingly.

Just another reason to trash the 1-10 scale imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I am really glad I don't follow YouTube video game dudes and just play games myself, these people all sound awful.

Also what is the video game people are playing that is making them racist, please tell me so I can avoid it

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Nobody is saying he deserves the hate just because he was aware there would be a backlash. That's some hard projecting on your part.

edit: The reason people are saying he had to have at least some awareness of it is because he just got done being sued for millions of dollars by crazy internet video game people. He knows very well the depths people can go to if you say something controversial. He says as much regarding the review itself. Obviously, he does not care about that and more power to him for it. But I don't think anybody reasonable is trying to imply he deserves that.

I just don't see the purpose of continuously pointing out that he should have seen it coming other than normalizing the behaviour of those that are attacking him. Like, yeah Sterling likes stirring the pot but who cares? Why is that important to this conversation? I'm not saying that it's an attitude of "he deserved it" but it at least seems to be an attitude of "he should have been more careful" which is still hosed up because he really shouldn't have to be more careful when giving a game a slightly below excellent score and we shouldn't be acting like he made a mistake by doing so.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

This comes as a surprise to nobody but when people say a game is perfect they almost always mean "perfect for me." Like when people point out flaws in a game you really enjoy, you probably don't think of them as "flaws" and moreso, "welp that's just how it is." The things that bother other people don't bother you because you're invested enough in the mechanics and setting that they're not even a consideration, just things you have to do. Like when people criticize Diablo and other ARPGs because "it's just about making numbers get bigger" I just smdh and am like dude that's entirely the point and why ARPGs own.

Absolutely. I am just reiterating it for people who might be getting a little bent out of shape over numbers. Perhaps they should be playing cool ARPGs like Diablo (G5F4).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bloodychill posted:

What's more, this really does come down to "he deserves it because he should have known this would happen." A 7 isn't even that bad a score. In games in general, 7 is still in the "it's a good game" region.
Game scores are inflated to hell.

If a movie is 3.5/5 it's probably a pretty good movie but if a game is given 7/10 by most reviewers it's probably got some pretty significant flaws or is a very niche title. It's dumb and it's the way the industry works at the moment.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Where did the idea that his account was being hacked even come from though? Did something actually happen or do you people mean he got e-mails saying that somebody attempted to guess his passwords which is what his tweet is suggesting? Or maybe I missed something?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Just because Jim knew and expected the backlash doesn't mean he did his 7/10 review for the attention. If that was his goal he would do that for every game he reviews, like Undertale which he gave a 10/10. I'm sure he'd much prefer BOTW be a 10 out of 10 game instead of good but has a ton of flaws.

Also that Jontron stream stuff, woof. Arin dodged a pretty huge bullet with Jon leaving Game Grumps at this point

edit: i wonder if Jontron became a white supremacist because a jew took his job

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 13, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yeah, gamers being lovely shouldn't be rationalized.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

I just don't see the purpose of continuously pointing out that he should have seen it coming other than normalizing the behaviour of those that are attacking him. Like, yeah Sterling likes stirring the pot but who cares? Why is that important to this conversation? I'm not saying that it's an attitude of "he deserved it" but it at least seems to be an attitude of "he should have been more careful" which is still hosed up because he really shouldn't have to be more careful when giving a game a slightly below excellent score and we shouldn't be acting like he made a mistake by doing so.

I imagine the reason people point out the stirring the pot thing is because if he legitimately is just stirring the pot for the attention it will get him, then pointing it out is a way of saying "don't give this person any attention please" like in a boy who cried wolf kind of scenario. If that makes sense?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bloodychill posted:

They said he was looking for it and got it, which is the same as saying "deserved it" but without the more negative connotations associated with sexist victim blaming. And it is basically victim blaming.

I think that's splitting hairs with a mighty fine-tooth comb, way more fine than I think is conducive to a healthy argument, but it doesn't much matter because they are both probably wrong.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Game scores are inflated to hell.

If a movie is 3.5/5 it's probably a pretty good movie but if a game is given 7/10 by most reviewers it's probably got some pretty significant flaws or is a very niche title. It's dumb and it's the way the industry works at the moment.

"It's great or it's trash" is definitely a crappy view of things. I like my janky 6 and 7 niche titles like Armored Core and EDF.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

I am really glad I don't follow YouTube video game dudes and just play games myself, these people all sound awful.

Video games are good as hell I don't know why they attract so many terrible people

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

bloodychill posted:

They said he was looking for it and got it, which is the same as saying "deserved it" but without the more negative connotations associated with sexist victim blaming. And it is basically victim blaming.

lol victim blaming

It's a review on the internet and a bunch of angry nerds, get a grip

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

lol victim blaming

It's a review on the internet and a bunch of angry nerds, get a grip

Oh gently caress off.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
All games are good, subsequently all games are poo poo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/841117434509688832

:psyduck:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Video games are good as hell I don't know why they attract so many terrible people

People are largely terrible, so it just makes sense.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I have never heard of JonTron before the past couple of days but he sounds hilariously dumb.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I agree with you, in that I take issue with the notion that he should've walked on eggshells around hosed up weirdos. If you do that, our society will never get anywhere. What I also disagree with, however, is the unimportance of his motivation. It's very important because it casts a light on the tone of the review and how he is handling the subsequent freaking-out-of-hosed-up-weirdos. That said, only Jim Sterling knows what his actual goal was so imo we're not going to get anywhere arguing about what it might have been as we are doing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh gently caress off.

Equating something like that to a serious problem in sexual assault cases is pretty lovely tbh

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_lWAN5dC9Q

It looks so much worse than a base ps1 game.

This video is a teaching tool to let you know that art direction is extremely important to how a final product looks regardless of how detailed you can make poo poo.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

FirstAidKite posted:

I imagine the reason people point out the stirring the pot thing is because if he legitimately is just stirring the pot for the attention it will get him, then pointing it out is a way of saying "don't give this person any attention please" like in a boy who cried wolf kind of scenario. If that makes sense?

The people who are pointing out that Jim likes stirring the pot are doing so in reaction to a review he did of a game they like. That is the start and end of it. On a regular day, nobody on this forum gives a rat rear end about what some fat white dude says about video games. Now that he's talking about something some people have assumed a personal stake in, out come the knives.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Quick List of Future G5VGRVG content:

Super Mario Brothers 3 - G5F5
Super Mario World - G5F5
Doom (2015) - G3F4
Zelda BOTW - G4F4
Bloodborne - G4F5
Fallout4 - G3F5
Planetary Annihilation Titans - G4F4
Halo - G1F1
Destiny - G4F5
Duke Nukem Forever - G2F2
Team Fortress 2 - G5F5
Strider (new) - G4F3
Planet Coaster - G5F5

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
How is JonTron channeling my dead racist grandfather

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Equating something like that to a serious problem in sexual assault cases is pretty lovely tbh

Acting like internet harassment is no big deal and people that get it should just suck it up because it's just the internet is incredibly lovely and is also the way the trolls themselves tend to deflect criticism so I repeat, gently caress off.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grapplejack posted:

This video is a teaching tool to let you know that art direction is extremely important to how a final product looks regardless of how detailed you can make poo poo.

Looks fine to me, although it seems like they've done basically the bare minimum for making an HD re-do. It could use more color grading or vfx or something because it kinda looks like the Gamecube Crash games right now. Those looked alright too, but they lacked a lot of details that would've made them look better than just 'alright'.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The remake player finished first so clearly that one is better

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Good thing I made the correct choice in my ethnicity and race.

e: I've seen this said in other places but it's funny how so many white people are afraid of being a minority in this country, almost as if they understand that minorities have a harder go at things, yet they're the first to plug their ears and close their eyes when it comes to doing anything to make life more equal for everyone.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 13, 2017

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Is the jontron freakout vid on youtube yet?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sakurazuka posted:

Well known non-issue of harassment

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

I think the complaints about this are pretty overblown, as someone who practically jizzes their pants at games with bright cartoony colors all over the place. The colors aren't nearly as vibrant yeah I'll agree, but literally everything else looks perfectly fine?? Like I could understand the complaints about this if everything was modeled to look more realistic, but it wasn't. Everything looks very "has more polygons", it's just less vibrant colors. Also the gameplay looks identical which is awesome. Solid 7/10 art direction

I do not own a PS4 though so. RIP me forever

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
People keep talking shti about the crash remake and every time I see it, it looks perfectly fine to me :shrug:

I mean, it doesn't look incredible but it's really hard to translate that style into HD. Crash was made to work around the limitations of the ps1 and because of that, much of the design is very specific to having low polygons. Because of that HD crash will always look weird as will his world in general, but gameplaywise the HD version still looks fine and I think the visuals are fine for what they have to work with.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

They really need to fix the saturation, at least.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Acting like internet harassment is no big deal and people that get it should just suck it up because it's just the internet is incredibly lovely and is also the way the trolls themselves tend to deflect criticism so I repeat, gently caress off.

look man he cost zelda a 98 on the metacritic, thats just what happens when your trying to get attention for not liking a game as much as i do

mfcrocker posted:

Well known non-issue of harassment

Maybe they would care if it was happening to someone they liked.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

The fact that people are getting bullied on the internet but only by stupid nerdy gamers doesn't make it ok.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sakurazuka isn't saying that harassment isn't an issue. They're saying that what's happening to jim isn't the same as sexual harassment.

Saying two things are dissimilar isn't the same as saying that one doesn't exist or isn't an issue at all.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

fivegears4reverse posted:

The people who are pointing out that Jim likes stirring the pot are doing so in reaction to a review he did of a game they like. That is the start and end of it. On a regular day, nobody on this forum gives a rat rear end about what some fat white dude says about video games. Now that he's talking about something some people have assumed a personal stake in, out come the knives.

His career is built on saying provocative things. It's why his videos are titled things like "Steam Needs To Stop Selling Toys Full Of Cum" and "Why It's Morally Okay To Pirate All Of Nintendo's Games", it's why Digital Homicide sued him, and it's why people like him.

E: None of this justifies getting harassed but to suggest it came completely out of the blue is naive.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also he makes a living being contrarian and dresses like a Nazi so it's hard to feel much sympathy for him.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Harassing people online isn't cool, but neither was Jim Sterling's VSWID episode so maybe the truth is in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
At least the Crash remake doesn't look as odd and disappointing as the new toejam and earl :(

• Locked thread