Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Yeah, Pissflaps was right, it's a prelude to indyref 2's declaration rather than the big announcement itself. A lot of stuff about the UK government's refusal to compromise with the Scottish government over Brexit & how compromise looks like it won't happen.

Oh, wait, as I write this,

https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/841253245259513856

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
Formal section 30 request next week. Referendum date is Autumn 2018 "at the earliest"

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
After a quick round of "gently caress the English", Sturgeon has indeed announced that there will be another Indyref announcement to announce that if there's another Indyref it'll be no sooner than Autumn 2018, to let Brexit play out a bit first.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HJB posted:

After a quick round of "gently caress the English", Sturgeon has indeed announced that there will be another Indyref announcement to announce that if there's another Indyref it'll be no sooner than Autumn 2018, to let Brexit play out a bit first.

Between Autumn 2018 & Spring 2019. Won't lie. I'm happy.

Still think that we'll end up voting to stay in the UK because the economic questions will remain unanswered, but ho hum, worth another shot.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
So is the idea here that the UK leaves the EU in March 2019, and then a referendum even after that allows Scotland to remain in it?

How does that work if Scotland was negotiating independence from a country that's no longer an EU member state? The SNP's timeline from 2014 was 18 months?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I have to assume that Scotland remaining a part of the EU as opposed to rejoining following independence is not something even the SNP is still considering, but I guess we'll hear plenty more about it from the First Minister in the near future.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

I have to assume that Scotland remaining a part of the EU as opposed to rejoining following independence is not something even the SNP is still considering, but I guess we'll hear plenty more about it from the First Minister in the near future.

Yeah, Scotland will have to join the EU as a new member, with everything that entails. Which isn't great, clearly. Better than not being in the club tough.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Apparently Sturgeon claimed she thought the CTA could continue as it is, surely that's not possible if Scotland were to insist an a much more open immigration policy than the UK?

I'm not sure why the idea of a hard border with an independent Scotland is portrayed as a ludicrous claim by nationalists: I can't see how one could be avoided.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
It's going to have interesting implications for the island of Ireland (:iamafag:) if the government claims a hard border with an independent Scotland is unavoidable.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

crispix posted:

It's going to have interesting implications for the island of Ireland (:iamafag:) if the government claims a hard border with an independent Scotland is unavoidable.

yeah, sturgeon is in quite a good position because of this.

May can't tell the Irish they'll have a soft border and the Scots a hard one without a big 'why' being asked very loudly.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

yeah, sturgeon is in quite a good position because of this.

May can't tell the Irish they'll have a soft border and the Scots a hard one without a big 'why' being asked very loudly.

Because Ireland has pursued a broadly similar immigration policy to the UK to keep the CTA working?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

Apparently Sturgeon claimed she thought the CTA could continue as it is, surely that's not possible if Scotland were to insist an a much more open immigration policy than the UK?

I'm not sure why the idea of a hard border with an independent Scotland is portrayed as a ludicrous claim by nationalists: I can't see how one could be avoided.

I doubt that reality would live up to the rhetoric on any radically different immigration policy. It's hot air to energise the base. Much like how talk about tax has never been followed through by the Scottish government using their powers to adopt significantly different income tax bands to the rest of UK.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/841267400804831232

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
jesus christ

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"Don't Scotxit our Brexit!"

:ironicat:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think it's entirely reasonable for the question of Scottish independence to rest until after the Brexit process is concluded.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

They are still stopping short of saying they will block another referendum, so really nothing new rhetoric-wise.

Things should heat up next week after Parliament approves the Section 30 request.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pissflaps posted:

I think it's entirely reasonable for the question of Scottish independence to rest until after the Brexit process is concluded.

"If I die and go to hell, I'm taking you with me" UK PM

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerv posted:

I doubt that reality would live up to the rhetoric on any radically different immigration policy. It's hot air to energise the base. Much like how talk about tax has never been followed through by the Scottish government using their powers to adopt significantly different income tax bands to the rest of UK.

We've only had the ability to have significantly different income bands very recently. In 2016. There's been the Scottish Variable Rate before that, which was a change to all bands up or down by 3p, then we were able to change how much the existing bands paid from 2013 or '14, I forget exactly, but the ability to set different bands came in last year. Can hardly say "it's never been follow through" when they've barely had a chance.

Pissflaps posted:

You're wrong.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

CommieGIR posted:

"If I die and go to hell, I'm taking you with me" UK PM

It would provide the most certainty, if Yes/Leave won an independent Scotland could then choose if it wants to apply to join the EU or not.

An independent Scotland might be able to negotiate a better trade deal with the UK than the EU can.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

You're wrong.

How?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

forkboy84 posted:

We've only had the ability to have significantly different income bands very recently. In 2016. There's been the Scottish Variable Rate before that, which was a change to all bands up or down by 3p, then we were able to change how much the existing bands paid from 2013 or '14, I forget exactly, but the ability to set different bands came in last year. Can hardly say "it's never been follow through" when they've barely had a chance.

I stand by my point.
They had the opportunity last year and bottled it. Publicly taking a very Tory line of not wanting wealth creators to flee. A lot of consternation in this thread at the time as I recall.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pissflaps posted:

It would provide the most certainty then if Yes/Leave won an independent Scotland could choose if it wants to apply to join the EU or not.

An independent Scotland might be able to negotiate a better trade deal with the UK than the EU can.

Look, just go back to bitching about Corbyn, its what you are good at. Scotland doesn't want to leave the EU, and with the way Brexit is going, neither does Britain in all reality.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

CommieGIR posted:

Look, just go back to bitching about Corbyn, its what you are good at. Scotland doesn't want to leave the EU, and with the way Brexit is going, neither does Britain in all reality.

I don't see a specific disagreement here did you just want to have a good whine?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerv posted:

I stand by my point.
They had the opportunity last year and bottled it. Publicly taking a very Tory line of not wanting wealth creators to flee. A lot of consternation in this thread at the time as I recall.

I don't disagree on that part of it. The SNP are loving useless when it comes to being genuinely progressive, good at wearing the clothes and talking the talk but pathetic at walking the walk. Still think your post made it sound like we've had the ability to change income tax bands for a while as opposed to one budget.

CommieGIR posted:

Look, just go back to bitching about Corbyn, its what you are good at.

Please don't lie to him.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

I don't see it being in May's favour to have a referendum after Brexit. It would just give more time for the disaster to set in and make a Yes vote more likely. I would be pushing for the earliest referendum date possible if I were her.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Leggsy posted:

I don't see it being in May's favour to have a referendum after Brexit. It would just give more time for the disaster to set in and make a Yes vote more likely. I would be pushing for the earliest referendum date possible if I were her.

Any argument that says Brexit will be a disaster can be applied to Scottish independence.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, Scotland will have to join the EU as a new member, with everything that entails. Which isn't great, clearly. Better than not being in the club tough.

I'm glad you're so confident that the EU's going to survive after this year, considering France, Holland etc. are going to elect strongly Eurosceptic governments in the next few months. Somebody has to, and I'm not.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Leggsy posted:

I would want to have it afterwards, because having this bit of your country think it can join the EU while the rest of you are leaving would be a technical nightmare and would significantly complicate discussing the future of 92% of your country's residents and indeed everyone in the EU who can currently work and live here, just to make space for (some of) the 8% of them in Scotland who really want out and also back into the EU.

After we leave, Scotland can decide to not be in the UK or not, and then the EU, which will not include the UK, so there's no chance of bad faith from our government, can decide whether to invite them in if/when the Scoxit negotiations are done and they have any of the institutions of a government.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Any argument that says Brexit will be a disaster can be applied to Scottish independence.

scotland can mitigate brexit by getting back into the EU

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

Difference being that one will be speculative and therefore easier to dismiss as scaremongering. While the other will be actually happening before the voters very eyes.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

scotland can mitigate brexit by getting back into the EU

It can, but only to a degree.

The rest of the UK is by far Scotland's most important trading partner: anything that hurts trade with it - by being on either side of the EU, or by the UK economy collapsing - will hurt Scotland.

A 'Civic Nationalist' who seeks a prosperous independent Scotland will be wanting the UK's Brexit negotiations to go well, and for Brexit to be a success, so that a Scotland can continue to prosper thanks to trading with a successful UK.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Venomous posted:

I'm glad you're so confident that the EU's going to survive after this year, considering France, Holland etc. are going to elect strongly Eurosceptic governments in the next few months. Somebody has to, and I'm not.
The EU is not going to end because Geert Wilders wins about a quarter of the seats in the Netherlands.

If it ends it's because of violent disagreements either between poorer western European workers and their very rich, who fully endorse the EU, over wage decline, or because of interstate disagreements about the Euro.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pissflaps posted:

The rest of the UK is by far Scotland's most important trading partner: anything that hurts trade with it - by being on either side of the EU, or by the UK economy collapsing - will hurt Scotland.

A 'Civic Nationalist' who seeks a prosperous independent Scotland will be wanting the UK's Brexit negotiations to go well, and for Brexit to be a success, so that a Scotland can continue to prosper thanks to trading with a successful UK.

LOL. Most of the major industries in both Scotland and the UK are owned by groupes external to the UK. It doesn't matter if Britain is closer, the 'trade' will happen regardless if Scotland leaves or stays because the trading value and the market will still exist. Rather ironically, cutting itself off from the EU will do more damage than the UK than Scotland leaving the UK for the EU.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Venomous posted:

Neither of these things are going to happen. Nobody in the Netherlands will work with Wilders mob, he'll be the largest opposition party. And no, the French won't elect Le Pen either. This time. She'll win the first round but will lose to Macron (hell, even Fillion is still polling better than her and that's while he's going through a scandal). Of course, a lovely neo-liberal like Macron will probably just mean the ball gets kicked down the road & the Front National have a good chance next time out.

I get being pessimistic after the last few years of politics both here & abroad, but steady on. There's pessimism & then there's defeatism based on fantasy.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

CommieGIR posted:

LOL. Most of the major industries in both Scotland and the UK are owned by groupes external to the UK. It doesn't matter if Britain is closer, the 'trade' will happen regardless if Scotland leaves or stays because the trading value and the market will still exist. Rather ironically, cutting itself off from the EU will do more damage than the UK than Scotland leaving the UK for the EU.

You think the economic health of a trading partner is irrelevant to the value of that trade?

You think that the existence of trading barriers are irrelevant to the value of that trade?

'LOL' indeed.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Does anyone think May will agree to another referendum ? I don't

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jre posted:

Does anyone think May will agree to another referendum ? I don't

I think she'll defer it. A moratorium, if you will.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pissflaps posted:

You think the economic health of a trading partner is irrelevant to the value of that trade?

You think that the existence of trading barriers are irrelevant to the value of that trade?

:ironicat: Why do you think Scotland doesn't want to leave the EU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think anyone here wants Brexit to fail, doesn't mean it's not going to.

Scotland has the pick of two very uncertain futures. Either it can continue to attach itself to a UK that seems hell bent on self-destruction and is assured a Tory government until halfway through the next decade. Or it can try and remould itself as a part of the EU community. Neither choice is one that I (or Sturgeon for that matter) would have opted for but Brexit has really forced the issue.