Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAB2V0f-zq6GWA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I'm also not a fan of Ocarina of Time. I don't think Zelda works all that well in 3D in general though. Wind Waker's aesthetic are amazing but I wasn't blown away by the gameplay. I haven't played BOTW yet though.

Link Between Worlds was perfect

I think BotW makes Zelda work in 3D by not really trying to make Zelda work in 3D, but just make a good 3D open-world game that happens to have Zelda stuff in it. All of the other 3D Zeldas were attempts to translate Link to the Past's formula into 3D, to varying degrees of success (and with constantly-increasing linearity and handholding). BotW just throws all the Link to the Past heritage away and seems more like building a 3D Zelda from the ground up.

Also agreed on Link Between Worlds, it's amazing. It and Breath of the Wild are the best expressions of Zelda games I think I've played so far. I really loved LBW's approach to the classic Zelda items and trusting the player to figure out how to use them to solve puzzles. Oh, and the totally nonlinear second part. Being able to tackle the dungeons in the order I want to is something I really missed from the pre-Wind Waker games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah it's loving great and it has really good writing. If you liked Life is Strange you'll like it too.

Life is Strange is pretty much my favorite game of all time, it's only the catgirl aesthetics that are keeping me away.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

exquisite tea posted:

catgirl aesthetics that are keeping me away.
What the hell are you talking about?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Wind Waker is pretty much my perfect game. From the aesthetic to the sailing and exploration/puzzles. Man it's so good. I want to go back and play it again now, drat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Palpek posted:

What the hell are you talking about?

Well in this game you are a catgirl in a cartoony animal land. That kind of art style is appealing to some but offputting to me.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

how did you get through undertale

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oops, wrong thread.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
BOTW is my first real Zelda. I will tell you the sad tale of why this is so.

Many moons ago I owned a NES. I loved my NES. My first console and it has my favourite video game of all time on it (SMB3) which was also the very first game I ever completed. I wanted to get all the games for it! So I asked my parents to get me the Legend of Zelda, which I'd heard good things about.

They went on holiday to America and when they returned, they were holding the golden Legend of Zelda version of the cartridge. I was excited! So, SO excited. I'd been wanting to play this game for so long and here it was in my hands. I wasn't allowed to play it until my birthday, about a week away, but my parents said I could read the manual. I did. I read it back to front. I had a proper sized map too. I put the map to one side as I did not want to spoil anything.

My birthday comes around and I wake up early to play the game! I slot it in press the power button. It turns on but the picture jumps up and down. I am confused. I take it out and try again. Same thing.

It is then I discover region locking.

I am crushed. My parents tried to get me a convertor for months and months, but eventually we all gave up and my legend of zelda cart was sold on and I never got to play it. My next console was not the SNES but the Megadrive. I sometimes wonder if this crushing disappointment was the reason I avoided Nintendo consoles until the WiiU.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

oddium posted:

how did you get through undertale

I didn't play Undertale.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

VideoGames, how are you liking BotW?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

exquisite tea posted:

Well in this game you are a catgirl in a cartoony animal land. That kind of art style is appealing to some but offputting to me.

One day God will return and wash away sick filth like this once again

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

VideoGames posted:

BOTW is my first real Zelda. I will tell you the sad tale of why this is so.

Many moons ago I owned a NES. I loved my NES. My first console and it has my favourite video game of all time on it (SMB3) which was also the very first game I ever completed. I wanted to get all the games for it! So I asked my parents to get me the Legend of Zelda, which I'd heard good things about.

They went on holiday to America and when they returned, they were holding the golden Legend of Zelda version of the cartridge. I was excited! So, SO excited. I'd been wanting to play this game for so long and here it was in my hands. I wasn't allowed to play it until my birthday, about a week away, but my parents said I could read the manual. I did. I read it back to front. I had a proper sized map too. I put the map to one side as I did not want to spoil anything.

My birthday comes around and I wake up early to play the game! I slot it in press the power button. It turns on but the picture jumps up and down. I am confused. I take it out and try again. Same thing.

It is then I discover region locking.

I am crushed. My parents tried to get me a convertor for months and months, but eventually we all gave up and my legend of zelda cart was sold on and I never got to play it. My next console was not the SNES but the Megadrive. I sometimes wonder if this crushing disappointment was the reason I avoided Nintendo consoles until the WiiU.

Lol

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

exquisite tea posted:

Don't play it then.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Breath of the Wild is a hell of a first Zelda game. On the one hand, no preconceived ideas of what a Zelda game should be. On the other, some of its more nostalgic touches have no power, and its story probably seems a little flatter when you don't have the context of how different it is from a usual Zelda story, or how it plays with Link and Zelda's roles and how the knowledge of their fate from childhood affected Zelda in particular.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Yesssssss

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Help Im Alive posted:

Video games are good as hell I don't know why they attract so many terrible people

Realtalk, it's because there's zero barrier to entry other than the cost of a system and they're usually power fantasies

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Please don't make fun of my sad times.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

VideoGames, how are you liking BotW?

:shh: I am not supposed to be playing it as it is not technically strategy. However, I have to say I think it is fantastic.

It is the Dead Space of Zelda games. In that, Dead Space did not truly have unique or original things about it's gameplay, it took almost all of its cues from other games but packaged and refined them into a wonderful product. Zelda BOTW takes a ton of great things from other open world games and combines them and refines them into a wonderful package.

As a first Zelda, is is ace and makes me want to try to play through some of the others. I would give it a G4F4. It is great and I am having a lot of fun. There are a few niggles that I have, but it is the design they were going for so it makes sense.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Literally the only complaint I can come up with for BotW is that the new dungeon maps are worthless.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Literally the only complaint I can come up with for BotW is that the new dungeon maps are worthless.

I do miss "real" dungeons. I really, really hope the next Zelda game continues in BotW's direction because I don't think the series can really step back after this, but I also hope the next one finds a way to have bigger, more intricate dungeons, too.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I didn't play Undertale.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

I do miss "real" dungeons. I really, really hope the next Zelda game continues in BotW's direction because I don't think the series can really step back after this, but I also hope the next one finds a way to have bigger, more intricate dungeons, too.

*you climb a tower and reveal that this whole portion of the map is a giant dungeon*

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

*you climb a tower and reveal that this whole portion of the map is a giant dungeon*

:pusheen:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
BotW send fantastic from what little I've played but at the same time I'm not sure if it's entirely my type of game, though that would obviously be on me and not the game. I've just always had terrible getting into the open world "make your own fun" sort of thing and while there is more to BotW than that and it is the top tier of that, I still always prefer something more structured but, once again, that's my problem, not the games

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

What if at the end of BOTW it's revealed that you've been under a gigantic crystal dome the entire time, thus making all of Hyrule a dungeon.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Please don't make fun of my sad times.

My first Zelda experience: went to a friends house. Watched ready to rumble... Some older kids were in the oot gerudo temple. They let me play a bit. I begged my parents for the game. Game owned. A few months later Majoras mask came out and I got the gold cart. Whoooooa

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

BotW send fantastic from what little I've played but at the same time I'm not sure if it's entirely my type of game, though that would obviously be on me and not the game. I've just always had terrible getting into the open world "make your own fun" sort of thing and while there is more to BotW than that and it is the top tier of that, I still always prefer something more structured but, once again, that's my problem, not the games

It's weird, because I'm usually the same way: I really don't go in for "make your own fun" open world games, or really most open world games at all. Breath of the Wild clicks with me in a way most of them didn't because of how hard it works to make the exploration part actually fun instead of just something that gets in your way while you try to get to the "real content."

Like, I enjoy Horizon a lot, but I don't enjoy exploration or travel all that much in it. I know that everything I'm going to find is either already marked on my map or is an audio log. And I know that, for the most part, there are some fairly narrow paths I have to stick to, because there are mountains and other impassable things in the way. But nothing's impassable in Breath of the Wild, and nothing's pre-marked on my map, either, so I'm weirdly content to just go wander and get lost and find stuff. Maybe part of the reason I'm loving the game as much as I am is because that's a really unfamiliar feeling for me.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Dr Cheeto posted:

Disagree emphatically. I played Ocarina 3D as my first Zelda game last year. I know they made a number of improvements to the game but it absolutely holds up, and the only N64 games I've got nostalgia for are GoldenEye and Mario Kart.

Please don't go back and play GoldenEye in 2017, it's so rough nowadays :smith:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The unmarked map stuff is really neat.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

BOTW is a hell of a first Zelda game and I can only imagine how disappointed someone would be going towards something like Skyward Sword or virtually any of the 3D games afterward knowing they can't jump and climb around everything and absolutely need 3 macguffins to get a thing and then get 7 more macguffins.

Link Between Worlds had the right idea with "do whatever in any order and also have ALL the items right away" but BOTW took it to the logical extreme, which I like.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

got any sevens posted:

Yeah I tried CK2 and it's just so dull with adjusting 1000 different things. It took me 6 hours irl to pass 100 years in-game. I still wanna form some archers and capture and build some towns and expand territory a bit. Even throwing in a bit of actual building placement like in starcraft-type games could be okay if it's not too rigid or as time-critical as those games usually are.

Is there anything that might scratch this itch?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

a lot of the exploring stuff in botw for me works only once, and it's very powerful when it does, but after that it kind of feels empty. termina on the other hand i know by heart, i could probably draw every area from memory, but i still play majora's mask at least once a year because it's a world and atmosphere i want to be in

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

MinibarMatchman posted:

BOTW is a hell of a first Zelda game and I can only imagine how disappointed someone would be going towards something like Skyward Sword or virtually any of the 3D games afterward knowing they can't jump and climb around everything and absolutely need 3 macguffins to get a thing and then get 7 more macguffins.

Link Between Worlds had the right idea with "do whatever in any order and also have ALL the items right away" but BOTW took it to the logical extreme, which I like.

Guided experiences can also be totally fun. Just looking Nintendo's catalog, the Mario games do it as do the Metroid games. If Zelda becomes their strictly open-world series, that's fine though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Is BotW in the running for best open-world game ever? It's kind of sounding that way

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

It's weird, because I'm usually the same way: I really don't go in for "make your own fun" open world games, or really most open world games at all. Breath of the Wild clicks with me in a way most of them didn't because of how hard it works to make the exploration part actually fun instead of just something that gets in your way while you try to get to the "real content."

Like, I enjoy Horizon a lot, but I don't enjoy exploration or travel all that much in it. I know that everything I'm going to find is either already marked on my map or is an audio log. And I know that, for the most part, there are some fairly narrow paths I have to stick to, because there are mountains and other impassable things in the way. But nothing's impassable in Breath of the Wild, and nothing's pre-marked on my map, either, so I'm weirdly content to just go wander and get lost and find stuff. Maybe part of the reason I'm loving the game as much as I am is because that's a really unfamiliar feeling for me.

I will say the main reason I do place BotW so high in this genre is because the world is mostly just so full of stuff and feels so well made and structured. The thing I don't like in most open world games and part of the thing that turns me off of them is the world feels so empty. Even something really detailed and well crafted like GTAV mostly feels like window dressing that is far more shallow than it appears. BotW everything feels like it's placed there with a purpose and nothing is there that doesn't serve a purpose.

Like, I actually really like exploring in games, it's just that most open world games don't have worlds I find worth exploring, and there's also too much empty space to make it feel worthwhile. I love 2D exploration games but there the limitations usually mean that there is no wasted space.

As I said, Zelda does what it's doing extremely well but it's more a matter of I'm not sure this type of thing done as good as it can be done is still as good to me as a more structured thing done less good. Like as good as BotW is, I haven't seen anything in it I prefer to pretty much any Zelda dungeon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Open-world is less of a genre and more of a marketing term so I doubt it will mean anything in a decade or so

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ethanol posted:

My first Zelda experience: went to a friends house. Watched ready to rumble... Some older kids were in the oot gerudo temple. They let me play a bit. I begged my parents for the game. Game owned. A few months later Majoras mask came out and I got the gold cart. Whoooooa

All Majora's Mask carts are gold, but did you have the holographic sticker? That's the "first edition" version of that game.

In Training posted:

Open-world is less of a genre and more of a marketing term so I doubt it will mean anything in a decade or so

Yeah I don't really remember hearing it a lot as a buzzword before Far Cry 2.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

a lot of the exploring stuff in botw for me works only once, and it's very powerful when it does, but after that it kind of feels empty. termina on the other hand i know by heart, i could probably draw every area from memory, but i still play majora's mask at least once a year because it's a world and atmosphere i want to be in

I'm a little worried about this myself, because I know I'm going to want to re-buy the game on Switch when I get one so I can have it portable. I wonder if I'm going to enjoy replaying it from scratch. It's certainly possible, but it's one of those games where I think the magic of doing it the first time is such a large part of the experience that any replay is necessarily going to be a little flatter.

glam rock hamhock posted:

As I said, Zelda does what it's doing extremely well but it's more a matter of I'm not sure this type of thing done as good as it can be done is still as good to me as a more structured thing done less good. Like as good as BotW is, I haven't seen anything in it I prefer to pretty much any Zelda dungeon.

For me, I sorta unreasonably want it both ways. I want the next game to stay this open, maybe in a new setting (go back out to the open ocean, Wind Waker-style?). I want it to have its own exciting sense of exploration and discovery, and I want it to have the same sort of open-ended puzzle design. But I also really want some of the old Zelda dungeons back. I enjoy the shrines a lot, but I still think I'd like it if there were like 20 fewer shrines, but the four dungeons were bigger, more intricate, and built on a theme the way the best Zelda dungeons do.

I also hope the next one brings back some of the classic Zelda items like the hookshot and lets you use them in really open-ended and fun ways like you can with the Sheikah slate runes. (Although, now that I think about it, I can't think of any other "classic" Zelda items that aren't in Breath of the Wild in some way. Cryonis mimics some of the "rod" items you get in previous games. Bombs are obviously there. Boomerangs are there, just not used for puzzles. Obviously there are bows everywhere. The Zora armor works a lot like a classic Zelda item.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 13, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Metal Slug has good art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
In kindergarten, a kid brought the gold NES Zelda cart to school for show and tell. I was very jealous. My parents got an NES for my sister and I during the holidays and I played Zelda and it was a ton of fun. SMB and Contra and Bayou Billy were the other games we played a lot. Good times.

• Locked thread