Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

snoremac posted:

I'd shield surf all the time if it didn't eat through shields so quickly.

I do wish you could gain some ability similar to the Goron roll in MM in terms of speed.

Shield Surfing only damages the shield on rough terrain. You can go nuts with it on snow or sand.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I tried to track one but couldn't find it. Can someone spoiler tag what you get? And is it a chest or just a hole or what?

A Star Fragment spawns when you get close to the light pillar. It's an item for upgrading high-level gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Your Computer posted:

One the one hand I completely agree, the game definitely deserves it and a lot of people probably haven't even tried it because of how old and janky it can be (doesn't bother me, but I grew up with it)

... On the other hand I would literally die if they made a bad remake. I don't know if Nintendo would do that, but I still reflexively cringe when I think about stuff like the FF6 "remaster" :negative:

They did alright with Link Between Worlds, even if their initial foray into "allowing" sequence breaking left some of the dungeon's puzzles feeling too limited. Even skipping the "try to make it open world" aspect and doing a graphical overhaul in the same vein and taking advantage of the additional buttons/item slots would be pretty rad for LA/OoA/OoS.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Holy gently caress the electricity shrine lmao

Spent way too long in there...

lmao if you don't cheese the electric shrines with shock arrows :science:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Should I be going to Hyrule Castle before beating the game? My gut says no but its really weird to me that the game gave me a quest to find a loving cookbook there if I'm not supposed to.

You are definitely supposed to poke your nose in there. Not only are there two quests in there, there's also a shrine and a memory.

Not to mention numerous NPCs encourage you to go hunt for treasure in there. It's the best place to farm for guardian parts and many weapons you can find are great but not endgame level.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Did seriously no one else go into the end thinking that Zelda was Courage and Link was Wisdom? She spends all the memories unable to talk to the Goddess that Link talks to 120+ times, Link isn't able to hear the Master Sword while Zelda can, Zelda has her powers finally activate in a moment of Courage, none of the marketing materials have Link with the Master Sword but rather with the Bow, they made a huge deal tying the Silent Princess flower to the sword when it has no in game connection at all. That whole talk on the riverbank about maybe not being what you were born into. The knighting ceremony where she sees everything in Link she wishes she could be. And then the end was a whole lot of nothing? All of the memories felt like they were leading up to this role reversal and then the ending is completely disjointed from anything. The whole story just being boilerplate Zelda with a touch of "this one really sucks at her job" kind of seems off with the story they told and I'm left feeling like the ending was rushed/incomplete internally. Not seeing anyone talking about this thought anywhere (unless it was discussed before I finished the game and came back to the thread).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

You are definitely supposed to poke your nose in there. Not only are there two quests in there, there's also a shrine and a memory.

Not to mention numerous NPCs encourage you to go hunt for treasure in there. It's the best place to farm for guardian parts and many weapons you can find are great but not endgame level.

I received a hot tip on how to infiltrate the castle from at a guy at one of the stables by going through the docks.

This route is very lucrative with some careful exploration. Got some sweet high end weaponry then had to turn tail when a zebra-striped Lynel appeared to kick my rear end.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think it's hilarious that the Moblins and Bokoblins appear to live in plaster themepark skulls of their own construction.

"We gotta spook these normies. How do we freak out the elves and fishmen?"
"Let's make a giant cartoon skull, boss."

Like, the first one you see is like "Oh, haha that's cute. They carved their cave into a big skull."
And then you see like a dozen others and the one stuck up on top of a tower and you realize, "Oh, this is just moblin architecture. :psyduck:"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

I think it's hilarious that the Moblins and Bokoblins appear to live in plaster themepark skulls of their own construction.

Like, the first one you see is like "Oh, haha that's cute. They carved their cave into a big skull."
And then you see like a dozen others and the one stuck up on top of a tower and you realize, "Oh, this is just moblin architecture. :psyduck:"

They've had 100 years to build 'em too lmao

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Would you walk into spooky skull cave willingly? :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Holy gently caress the electricity shrine lmao

Spent way too long in there...

Which one? Because I've found two so far and they're both pretty fun.

deadly_pudding posted:

Ganon's minions do not go in for subtlety.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

padijun posted:

has someone done this yet

The Ocarina of Time works the same way.

parallelodad posted:

Jesus how scary would wallmasters be in this game?

I hope the dlc brings some classics back. Wallmasters, iron knuckles, redeads, leevers, skulltullas, likelikes.

I was surprised and kinda disappointed to not run into any leevers or peahats in the desert region.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 13, 2017

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The story DLC has Link retrieve the Ocarina and get his own Divine Beast he can summon with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0-5ABEGcJM

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

Would you walk into spooky skull cave willingly? :colbert:

Making a cave shaped like a skull screams "there's treasure in here!"

Might as well put up a big sign at that point :colbert:

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
I loving love the boomerangs in this game. Functionally, they're completely useless - so many times I've had one bounce off a cliff never to be seen again or I just miss completely, but god drat when you get it just right and it slices through three or four bokoblins before flying back into your hand :swoon:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The best is when a mob catches it, and you're just standing there like "Wait.. that's not supposed to happen."

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Linx posted:

I loving love the boomerangs in this game. Functionally, they're completely useless - so many times I've had one bounce off a cliff never to be seen again or I just miss completely, but god drat when you get it just right and it slices through three or four bokoblins before flying back into your hand :swoon:

They're my favorite weapons! I mean, sure they bounce and fly off if they hit anything but that's just realism right? :v: You don't use a boomerang in a thick forest, that would be foolish! On big open plains and such they're amazing.

Also like so many of BotW 's little touches, I love how you have to actually catch them. Makes it feel so much cooler when you get good with it :swoon:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Infinitum posted:

The best is when a mob catches it, and you're just standing there like "Wait.. that's not supposed to happen."

I managed to catch a boomerang thrown at me once, it was pretty satisfying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Linx posted:

The Giant Boomerang is a ridiculous weapon and I very much enjoyed destroying clouds of Keese with it.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
poo poo, I had no idea they could catch them!

I really hope they're giving boomerangs the same love as the other weapons and including elemental variants. The best one I've found so far is the enhanced lizal one that has like three prongs on it

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Man, the underground portion of the maze in the upper righthand corner of the world map was a real test. Instantly targeted by 4 or 5 guardians. Got through it but I blew through all my shields and a couple ancient arrows.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shab posted:

Man, the underground portion of the maze in the upper righthand corner of the world map was a real test. Instantly targeted by 4 or 5 guardians. Got through it but I blew through all my shields and a couple ancient arrows.

Hahaha, I didn't even know that mess had an underground portion. I just 'sploded one Guardian and then climbed to the top.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Shab posted:

I felt like Bilbo, I dropped down and my sword lit up and I was like uhhhhhhhh poo poo

At least you could wake up the walkers beforehand, then it was just a matter of "run like gently caress" afterwards

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So the shrine outside the desert town, the one where you need to connect the circuits to open the door.

I used metallic weapons to open the right hand door first because I couldn't see any other way to connect the two lights with the barrel and box you're given

Is that the intended way to do it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No, you're supposed to use the metallic chest behind one of the doors, but hey if it works.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bardeh posted:

So the shrine outside the desert town, the one where you need to connect the circuits to open the door.

I used metallic weapons to open the right hand door first because I couldn't see any other way to connect the two lights with the barrel and box you're given

I don't recall the exact puzzle but 9 times out of 10 if an electricity puzzle doesn't appear to give you enough poo poo it's because you need to use a chest or two

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Bardeh posted:

Nah,

You can open the left most gate with just the two given, which gives you an extra barrel, which you can use to open the second gate, which gives you a treasure chest, which you can use to open the right most gate, which gives you another box, which you can use with the first box to open the gate to the shrine

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Linx posted:

Still more effective than boomerangs IRL :cheeky:

And yeah, I love boomerangs just for how unique and fun they are to use and practice catching. I wish there was a stronger end-game boomerang, like a royal boomerang.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bardeh posted:

You basically have to open the doors from left to right and use the new metallic objects you're given along the way. That said, this game is all about using whatever works, so even though you didn't do the "intended" solution, it doesn't really matter. There have been a few times when I just dropped a heavy weapon on a button so I wouldn't have to find something to hold it down :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
One of the perks of an expanded inventory is laying your weapons in a line and bypassing the entire puzzle when it comes to electric puzzles :colbert:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

-edit ^ what they're talking about

Harrow posted:

Which one?

Daqo Chisay S/W corner of map outside of the sexist village

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 13, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I find it really interesting which shrines people find difficult and which ones they find easy, because I bet it's different for everybody. For me, the electric shrines are easy but fun--I can pretty easily see how all the circuits are supposed to connect together. Meanwhile, the constellation shrine took me way too long to figure out, even with my puzzle game-playing girlfriend watching and helping, and most of the "use Stasis to launch this object the correct distance" shrines are nightmares for me because I'm terrible at judging that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Some of the Shrine Monks are real assholes, considering there's more than one where opening a door will trigger a bigass spike ball tumbling down a ramp towards you. Real funny, rear end in a top hat, laugh it up in your last moments because the Goddess won't save you from me! :argh:

Harrow posted:

I find it really interesting which shrines people find difficult and which ones they find easy, because I bet it's different for everybody. For me, the electric shrines are easy but fun--I can pretty easily see how all the circuits are supposed to connect together. Meanwhile, the constellation shrine took me way too long to figure out, even with my puzzle game-playing girlfriend watching and helping, and most of the "use Stasis to launch this object the correct distance" shrines are nightmares for me because I'm terrible at judging that.

The Constellation shrine got me too, because it's just so loving obtuse. There's no real indication of what the numbers mean on the walls beside the ball sockets, or any feedback as to what you're doing with them unless you explicitly understand you need to count the number of each constellation on the far wall.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It took me like fifteen minutes to figure out but I felt really smart when I did.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the constellation shrine was stupid bullshit, I spent like 20 minutes trying to work out how to arrange the balls in the right pattern to match up to the constellation stars

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Your Computer posted:

Also like so many of BotW 's little touches, I love how you have to actually catch them. Makes it feel so much cooler when you get good with it :swoon:

When you parry a guardian Lazer beam :cabot:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Constellation shrine got me too, because it's just so loving obtuse

....did anyone not Google this?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

parallelodad posted:

It took me like fifteen minutes to figure out but I felt really smart when I did.

It's one of the few shrines where I felt dumb after figuring it out. Most of them are either simple or make me feel smart for getting it. When I figured that one out I was like "god drat it I'm a moron"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I didn't. Probably should've but I didn't.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

That's not the point. We shouldn't have to look up a guide to understand a puzzle's basic structure.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Some of the Shrine Monks are real assholes, considering there's more than one where opening a door will trigger a bigass spike ball tumbling down a ramp towards you. Real funny, rear end in a top hat, laugh it up in your last moments because the Goddess won't save you from me! :argh:

Stuff like this would be hell if "hard mode" includes "not pausing when you're switching runes". :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not the point. We shouldn't have to look up a guide to understand a puzzle's basic structure.

The game is fun and all but gently caress if I ain't googling tons of poo poo. Guess I'm not having the authentic experience

Also gently caress that stasis one where you have to launch the second one very specifically