Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hey, what's your favorite anime?
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Generation Kill
Dragonball
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
The Godfather
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
View Results

• Locked thread
neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I can take or leave durability but I think the combination of no durability and being able to relatively arbitrarily acquire weapons is something I am not a fan of. That was a bad sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Foxhound posted:

Speaking of weapons, am I an idiot or are there like no anti-armored weapon for Hoshido? All I've got are sting shurikens. Or do they open up with level 3 armory?

Sting Shuriken are the only ones you can buy like Endorph said, but you get a hammer eventually I'm pretty sure and the game gives you an armorslayer pretty much at the start.

neongrey posted:

I can take or leave durability but I think the combination of no durability and being able to relatively arbitrarily acquire weapons is something I am not a fan of. That was a bad sentence.

Do you mean like how Birthright and especially Revelations waste no time throwing loot at you? Yeah that's dumb but it's more a problem of Birthright being the baby game for babies even on Lunatic and Revelations being Revelations, I think it works just fine on Conquest where getting the Dual Club is a pretty huge boon and the only free weapons you really get are the ones units come with.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Re: anti-armor: it was just a challenge mission with like 8 Generals that was kind of a pain to deal with with just two sting shurikens. I sorted it out, haven't really met that many armored units aside from that.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Last Celebration posted:

Sting Shuriken are the only ones you can buy like Endorph said, but you get a hammer eventually I'm pretty sure and the game gives you an armorslayer pretty much at the start.

Do you mean like how Birthright and especially Revelations waste no time throwing loot at you? Yeah that's dumb but it's more a problem of Birthright being the baby game for babies even on Lunatic and Revelations being Revelations, I think it works just fine on Conquest where getting the Dual Club is a pretty huge boon and the only free weapons you really get are the ones units come with.

I think I'm mostly not a fan of constantly-accessible shops with more than a ridiculously barebones selection. But it's been a while since I played Fates. I liked Conquest on the whole, aside from the writing, I just... eh. I think I'm mostly an FE grog. The remake of 2 sounds great for me; it sounds like aside from interface updates it's gonna be agonizingly faithful. And that's about what I like.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Yo, Ch17 conquest lunatic can succ my fucc. Haven't these fuckers ever heard of inverse ninja effectiveness theory?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They have a Ninja army and you have 1 Xander. Sounds about right.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can technically have an army of ninjas as well

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Shura and Niles also handle them pretty well. Even Benny can get some work with a Javelin considering his absurd DEF stat (just throw Effie or Keaton on him). Alternatively, Hand Axe Camilla.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heaven Spacey posted:

Yo, Ch17 conquest lunatic can succ my fucc. Haven't these fuckers ever heard of inverse ninja effectiveness theory?

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Gunter is also a surprisingly good combat pick for that chapter. Competent base Str and Def, weapon triangle advantage and 1-2 with Hand Axe, lol who cares about the Spd penalty Gunter isn't ever not being doubled anyway. He can pair up with Corrin to help them hit the annoying dodgy ninjas too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Heaven Spacey posted:

enemies refuse to attack you if they can't hurt you. xander is like 1 point of defense away from that out of the box. if you have an hour to waste, you can set him in a chokepoint in a pair up and have someone snipe the ninjas from behind him. attack once, dance, move away so the ninja horde doesn't murder the guy cowering behind xander on enemy phase. it's boring but also perfectly safe; you basically can't lose doing this

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

This Leo manga that's retelling Fates is really good at retelling stuff

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm trying to do a generics-only run in Birthright right now, and I'm wondering: Does a generic unit's base growths change when they class change?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

inthesto posted:

I'm trying to do a generics-only run in Birthright right now, and I'm wondering: Does a generic unit's base growths change when they class change?

Classes have different growth rates from one another. These grow rates are on top of a unit's individual grow rates.

So yes their growth rates will change but the "unit's base growths" will not.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Classes have different growth rates from one another. These grow rates are on top of a unit's individual grow rates.

So yes their growth rates will change but the "unit's base growths" will not.

To be clear, according to the Serenes Forest page, for example the swordmaster has slightly better base growths than the samurai. Does this mean I'll want to re-recruit once promoted units become available?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

inthesto posted:

To be clear, according to the Serenes Forest page, for example the swordmaster has slightly better base growths than the samurai. Does this mean I'll want to re-recruit once promoted units become available?

The class growth changes when the class changes. The individual growth will remain the same. Total growth rate = Individual growth rate + growth rate for the class a unit is currently in.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The class growth changes when the class changes. The individual growth will remain the same. Total growth rate = Individual growth rate + growth rate for the class a unit is currently in.

They get that, but what they posted are the base character growths for generics, not the class growths, showing a generic recruited from a premoted class will in fact have slightly better growths

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

when should I use the DLC class items on people? Level 20 or just whenever

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

when should I use the DLC class items on people? Level 20 or just whenever

Whenever. Unless you want a particular skill from the class the unit is already in. Worth noting that it can potentially make that unit OP as hell in the short term.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Need another gimmick run. I've done female only Conquest, generic only Birthright, Hoshidan classes only Conquest, and a few other unremarkable ones. Any recommendations? I'm open to any route (yes even Revelation), probably doing them on Hard.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

theshim posted:

Need another gimmick run. I've done female only Conquest, generic only Birthright, Hoshidan classes only Conquest, and a few other unremarkable ones. Any recommendations? I'm open to any route (yes even Revelation), probably doing them on Hard.

Do a revelations run where you replace the units in your roster in order as you get new ones.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

All-Maids/Butlers run.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theshim posted:

a run where you second seal everyone to their default second seal class.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

theshim posted:

Takumi solo's birthright because he can.

E: Alternitivly, something much faster, Ryoma solo. Maybe let one support unit in but they always have to be paired up with the soloer?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

theshim posted:

All Sniper-run or all-General run.

theshim
May 1, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

All Sniper-run or all-General run.
Interesting fact: Mozu is the only character with Archer secondary and literally no one has Knight secondary. Could propagate them with Friendship/Partner seals to a certain extent, though at that point I can pretty much just use almost anyone I want.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

theshim posted:

Male only Conquest.

Good luck with no Elise/Azura.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

theshim posted:

Interesting fact: Mozu is the only character with Archer secondary and literally no one has Knight secondary. Could propagate them with Friendship/Partner seals to a certain extent, though at that point I can pretty much just use almost anyone I want.

Not too hard (Mozu does pass Archer to her partner since 1st gens can't get Villager).

So in BR, you have Takumi, Kiragi, Setsuna, and Mozu as a base, and then whoever Setsuna/Mozu marry, Setsuna's kid, and then Corrin/Kana and Corrin's spouse, without getting into Friendship seals.

Knight's a bit stricter - you have Benny, Effie and Ignatius. Keaton/Arthur from A+ Benny, Elise/Nyx from A+ Effie. Then you add Corrin/Kana, then spouses and kids. Might be a stretch to make it to a full fieldable roster, but I think should be possible. Elise/Nyx are pretty much dead weight though, so... good luck doing chapters 7-14 with just Corrin/Effie.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Alternatively do an 'All Wyvern Lords' playthrough of Conquest. Because pretty much everyone can become a Wyvern Lord.

Watch out for Takumi.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Male only Conquest.

Good luck with no Elise/Azura.

you also wouldn't get jakob would you? male corrin gets felicia

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Wouldn't get him for a while, anyway. He shows up eventually.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I know but the point is you don't have a healer at all for several chapters

that's rough, especially on the higher difficulties

theshim
May 1, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Correct. The female only run didn't get Felicia until she joins later, and she was...not exactly my MVP.

Female only Conquest was tricky, but having Camilla and Elise made things a lot easier. Male only Conquest would be a real pain!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Chapter 10 without Camilla or Selena or even Beruka or Effie

theshim
May 1, 2012

Tae posted:

it should be noted that Conquest 10 is a bastard and a half for literally any challenge run

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah with Conquest, your only healer options til Jakob are to make Corrin a Monk/Troubadour, or to early promote Niles. You could turn Leo into a Strategist/Butler, but you literally get him two chapters before Jakob.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tae posted:

You at least get Haikitaka. Not that that's as good as handing Beruka a defense tonic and hand axe and just letting Camilla be your shiny new Oifey, but it might not be a complete bastard on Hard.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
What are some good m!Corrin supports in Birthright?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Huh, Azama?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

hostess with the Moltres posted:

What are some good m!Corrin supports in Birthright?

Romantic or just good supports?

I like Saizo, Jakob, Azama, Setsuna and Scarlet. Takumi's is okay.

There are also some decent supports with the kids; mostly Shiro, Mitama and Selkie.

• Locked thread