Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Finally had a chance to clean up the post. Now, back to shopping on Croooober....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I'm unsure if this is the best or worst thing I have learned about in the last week. I'll have a harness on the way soon, now just to find a good rad and V-Mount. Psst, sell me one.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Definitely the worst, for your bank account that is. Do you need an engine harness? I have a 93 LHD harness in stock (or three...). For radiators, I recommend a Koyo. It takes a minor amount of work to install and is just the overall most common. I've picked a few up recently for $150 (and promptly used/resold). Remember V-Mount = vented hood, I would work on getting the car going first :D. A decent stock mount (PF, Greddy, ARC, etc), 1300cc injectors (850 secondaries bored out), down pipe, and intake will get you ~320WHP on the stock twins on pump gas.

Moreleth
Jun 11, 2001

lego my eggo
I just sold my 2008 RX-8 with 94800 miles on an original engine. Hot potato passed!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

the spyder posted:

Now for my favorite bit- let's talk about bad decisions involving Croooober. Or why I'm stopping drinking and shopping online. I've been randomly searching Croooober for anything interesting and inexpensive. The results have been great. I've bought/resold quite a bit. It's not profitable, mainly due to me wanting to keep some of parts... Otherwise, I would be $1500 in the green right now. I do recommend giving it a try if you're looking for JDM parts. I've saved roughly 40-60% of stuff I would never find here. The shipping really, really can kill it though- I've spent nearly $3k on just shipping.

Never heard of this before, not sure if I should thank you or be angry. Will be very helpful and bad for my wallet I can tell already.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BloodBag posted:

I'm the trifecta lights on the E46 dash. Such great cars to drive, such horrible cars to own.

mine has been awesome to own. least maintenance of all my bmws.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Moreleth posted:

I just sold my 2008 RX-8 with 94800 miles on an original engine. Hot potato passed!

My RX8's original engine is simultaneously on my garage floor and on eBay. Still works. Hot potato passed!

Moreleth
Jun 11, 2001

lego my eggo

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

My RX8's original engine is simultaneously on my garage floor and on eBay. Still works. Hot potato passed!

What's in your RX8?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Moreleth posted:

What's in your RX8?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3737490&pagenumber=11

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I can't decide whether to be thankful or disappointed that all the RX-7 stuff on Croooober is FD junk.
Oh, hey, bride seat rails for $32... plus $110 shipping. Ah, well.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Sweet mother of god. I finally found a set of Spirit R 17" wheels and they were under 1k! I've had some "knockoff" PIAA racing wheels on my 94 Chaste White that were pretty close (I'm still convinced PIAA just copied them anyways), but I've always wanted a set. With the average selling price around $2800 and going up, they've been low on the priorities list. This means I just need the Recaro seats to have a complete "replica" 2001 FD in LHD.

Here's the first picture the seller sent me. Not bad, little dirty and a few scuffs on the paint.

I'm sure they would clean right up with some elbow grease.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.
Ok, so the reason they were so cheap is the seller decided to strip the wheels and have them painted. He apparently found other wheels he liked better and tossed these on a shelf mid process. I'm a bit concerned about them sitting after being stripped, who knows if he neutralized the chemical stripper properly. But what the hell, might as well see what they actual look like in person.
:shepspends:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

the spyder posted:

Sweet mother of god. I finally found a set of Spirit R 17" wheels and they were under 1k! I've had some "knockoff" PIAA racing wheels on my 94 Chaste White that were pretty close (I'm still convinced PIAA just copied them anyways), but I've always wanted a set. With the average selling price around $2800 and going up, they've been low on the priorities list. This means I just need the Recaro seats to have a complete "replica" 2001 FD in LHD.

Here's the first picture the seller sent me. Not bad, little dirty and a few scuffs on the paint.

I'm sure they would clean right up with some elbow grease.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.
Ok, so the reason they were so cheap is the seller decided to strip the wheels and have them painted. He apparently found other wheels he liked better and tossed these on a shelf mid process. I'm a bit concerned about them sitting after being stripped, who knows if he neutralized the chemical stripper properly. But what the hell, might as well see what they actual look like in person.
:shepspends:

"Oh, I have these rare wheels - I should strip and paint those a non-original color, rather than buying knockoffs or similar wheels and painting those" - idiot PO.

also, I'm disappointed that there's no overnight option on Croooober.
:v:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Darchangel posted:

"Oh, I have these rare wheels - I should strip and paint those a non-original color, rather than buying knockoffs or similar wheels and painting those" - idiot PO.

also, I'm disappointed that there's no overnight option on Croooober.
:v:

Don't use Suface/Sea. I'm still waiting for parts... over a month and a half later.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
This week just keeps getting better. I picked up a set of "The most expensive coilovers for a FD in Japan"- Made by Aragosta and sold under the name St. Boeso. These retail for a cool $3100 US + shipping. They are highly regarded by Japanese tuners and several companies rebadge them (Knighsports). I've read various forums trying to find more info and here's the most knowledgeable site I've found. http://www.neweraparts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&CategoryID=212&List=0&Level=a&productid=633 TLDR: Aragosta is owned by Suspension Techniques and still manufactures coilovers in the Netherlands today. Eibach provides the springs. ATS can rebuild them here in the US. Not nearly as JDM as people think.

This particular set looks to be in excellent condition. I'm kinda hesitant to post what I paid, but what the hell. These were $320 US + shipping. If you know what you are looking for, you can find some killer deals on croooober. Sadly I won't be keeping them, but someone is going to get an amazing set of coils overs for waaaaay less than new.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Ended up spending a good hour or more surfing crooober thanks to your recommendations.
*Breathes heavily into paper bag*
Managed to hold off on buying a full set of magnesium Watanabes in the right pattern and offset for my car, only $650 shipped.
*Exhales slowly...*
This site is seriously dangerous. Thankfully I don't have a "popular" (Z32, RX7, R32 etc) car so I'm not gonna be bombarded with insane offers for every single cool aftermarket part, but I can see how you've ended up on such a huge shopping spree.

Plus-side I managed to stumble upon a set of center caps for my Bridgestone Spinto 71 rims, which is way cool since I never thought I'd just find a complete set for sale! I see what you mean about shipping costs - I paid $25 for the caps + $70 for shipping.

As for RX7 related chat, thanks for all the posts! You still haven't deterred me from potentially buying one later on in the year.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

the spyder posted:

This week just keeps getting better. I picked up a set of "The most expensive coilovers for a FD in Japan"- Made by Aragosta and sold under the name St. Boeso. These retail for a cool $3100 US + shipping. They are highly regarded by Japanese tuners and several companies rebadge them (Knighsports). I've read various forums trying to find more info and here's the most knowledgeable site I've found. http://www.neweraparts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&CategoryID=212&List=0&Level=a&productid=633 TLDR: Aragosta is owned by Suspension Techniques and still manufactures coilovers in the Netherlands today. Eibach provides the springs. ATS can rebuild them here in the US. Not nearly as JDM as people think.

I know this is just me being a nut about this sort of thing, but I'd be more than a bit tempted to send them to Feal or someone to have them dynoed.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Jomo posted:

Ended up spending a good hour or more surfing crooober thanks to your recommendations.
*Breathes heavily into paper bag*
Managed to hold off on buying a full set of magnesium Watanabes in the right pattern and offset for my car, only $650 shipped.
*Exhales slowly...*
This site is seriously dangerous. Thankfully I don't have a "popular" (Z32, RX7, R32 etc) car so I'm not gonna be bombarded with insane offers for every single cool aftermarket part, but I can see how you've ended up on such a huge shopping spree.

Plus-side I managed to stumble upon a set of center caps for my Bridgestone Spinto 71 rims, which is way cool since I never thought I'd just find a complete set for sale! I see what you mean about shipping costs - I paid $25 for the caps + $70 for shipping.

As for RX7 related chat, thanks for all the posts! You still haven't deterred me from potentially buying one later on in the year.

Yessss. Let the JDM flow through your bloooooooood. Wait, I have a $15 oil cap I'm too cheap to pay the $40 shipping on sitting in my cart :(

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

mekilljoydammit posted:

I know this is just me being a nut about this sort of thing, but I'd be more than a bit tempted to send them to Feal or someone to have them dynoed.

I've got a local shock dyno I could send them to, but unless the buyer wants to pay for the service I just don't have the time :(. My Ohlin PCV's came with a dyno sheet and that's half the reason I bought them. Hum....

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

the spyder posted:

I've got a local shock dyno I could send them to, but unless the buyer wants to pay for the service I just don't have the time :(. My Ohlin PCV's came with a dyno sheet and that's half the reason I bought them. Hum....

Yeah... it's really just a "I want to know *why* everything works" sorta thing.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

the spyder posted:

Yessss. Let the JDM flow through your bloooooooood. Wait, I have a $15 oil cap I'm too cheap to pay the $40 shipping on sitting in my cart :(

It's a good thing my Toyotas are all over 25 years old and don't have anything other than wheels and maybe a bov that I could use from that site.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Every now and then I try to find vent visors on there, since its the only place I've seen in channel ones for the mazda wagon. No luck so far. :<

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Man, selling stuff is such a PITA. I either get incredibly low offers, scams, or flakes. I've tried craigslist, social media, forums- it's all the same. I'm about to try eBay, but man I hate eBay/Paypal.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

On ebay, I make a £0.99 listing for a bolt from the vehicle I'm breaking, then in the description I list all the parts I have and have people message me if they want to buy them. Avoids the ebay/PayPal scams, the bullshit fees, and saves me from having to list each item.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I post this and suddenly like 5 things sell overnight. Wahoo!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

the spyder posted:

I post this and suddenly like 5 things sell overnight. Wahoo!

My experience with things I've sold on craigslist lately have been:

1. Post ad
2. Nothing happens for <days to weeks>
3. I'm traveling or away
3a. Everyone has to have it all at once while I'm away.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

dreesemonkey posted:

My experience with things I've sold on craigslist lately have been:

1. Post ad
2. Nothing happens for <days to weeks>
3. I'm traveling or away
3a. Everyone has to have it all at once while I'm away.

This has been the last few cars for me. Last one was almost a full year with it posted monthly, I'd get a call or vague text but no one ever looked at it. Then suddenly everyone wanted it, multiple people test drove and it ended in a bidding war.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's like 1:30 in the morning here, but I was so excited I had to head out to the shop. 3/4 of the Spirit R wheels arrived earlier today. Cue 3 hours of cleaning, blasting, and cursing later...

So why *The Spyder* are you obsessed over some random BBS RG-R looking wheels? Hell if I know. I've just always wanted a set and after a set of RZ (very similar) were sold out from under me this summer, I went back on the hunt for a real set. As seen below, my PIAA "clones" were pretty darn close.

Considering all I had were the pictures posted previously in the thread, I was happy to see then wheels arrived in decent condition. No bends, cracks, or curb rash.

Just a few small bits of corrosion.

They came with center caps and valve stems.

But from here, my OCD kicked in and it just went down hill. There was still stripper on the wheels. They had obviously not even been brushed off after stripping or before application based on the brake dust.

I thought long and hard before I did this next step. Some people I've found are very against media blasting wheels, I'm not sure why as it appears to be part of the factory process. The aluminum appeared to have a glass-beaded texture under the stripped paint. So, into the media blaster they went. I cleaned up the front/back as best I could but to do any more I need a larger cabinet.

God drat these are looking good. Once the final wheel arrives, I will load them in the wagon and head over to Rob's shop to use his much larger media blaster. There's no saving the paint that's left, so it's all coming off.

Now for the hard part. I really don't want to try to refinish these myself. I have done a ton of searching on diamond black/hyperblack resprays. From the best I can tell, they need to be recoated with a 2k black, dried, masked, and then a super fine silver floated over the top to achieve the 'hyper-black" look. Thankfully a buddy works for a wheel refinishing company and I'm going to send them over to him to deal with the next steps.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 12, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Looks good. If you're painting them, cool. But beware if you powder coat you could gently caress up the heat treating and potentially make them weaker if you ever planned on tracking them or something. Something to keep in mind (that you probably already know).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I don't think powder coating ovens get hot enough to actually do that.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Larrymer posted:

Looks good. If you're painting them, cool. But beware if you powder coat you could gently caress up the heat treating and potentially make them weaker if you ever planned on tracking them or something. Something to keep in mind (that you probably already know).

Wouldn't that matter more with steel rims than with aluminium?

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

jamal posted:

I don't think powder coating ovens get hot enough to actually do that.

Several wheel MFGs explicity state that powdercoating wheels voids the warranty. PC cures at ~400*F, which is hot enough to mess up the heat treatment of the aluminum.

e: Here, have a scientific study on this exact topic: http://digitalcommons.lmu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1009&context=mech_fac

Savington fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 13, 2017

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Several people have reported BBS warning them about powder coating forged wheels. They do not recommend it due to the heat treating process.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

TL;DR: Depends on the material, depends on the temperature used to cure.

I just wouldn't want to risk it on your unicorn wheels.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Larrymer posted:

TL;DR: Depends on the material, depends on the temperature used to cure.

Lowtemp is fine, high-temp is not. The failure mode is such that I personally wouldn't trust a PC shop to not "harmlessly" slip my wheels in with their standard high-temp batch of parts, instead of firing up the low-temp oven just for me.

Paint, OTOH, carries none of these risks.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I wouldn't be scared of PCing wheels ( have done it to mine) as long as you go to a place that knows what they are doing

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kind of irrelevant anyway as I don't think the desired finish could be accomplished by powder coating.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'll be sticking with paint for now. It appears to be a normal 2k black that's on them now.

4th wheel arrived. I have a complete set. I am really, really suprized there is no curb damage on any of the wheels. Not even a scuff or ding. I'm afraid of what Portland's roads will do to these. This wheel had the worst corrosion, but it appeared to be just surface. After a quick blasting job, it cleaned up decently. Hopefully this weekend I can get them over to the big media cabinet at my friends shop for a final cleanup.

Random shop update- new tools. I haven't bought anything for a while and I guess the itch finally got to me. I've wanted to move the larger 20" Delta/rockwell bandsaw to the metal area and replace it with a 14" dedicated to wood. A old american made Walker Turner popped up at a decent price from a local fellow who was retiring. He was selling off his entire shop and house to travel the world with his girlfriend. Lucky guy.

The saw came with a few blades, a Kreg fence, and has had all the bearings/tires replaced.

I mainly bought it because of this box. It's a high/low gear box for cutting metal. Our Rockwell has a damaged low gearbox and needs rebuilt, this will get me though the next couple of aluminum intercooler piping jobs I have coming up.

I also picked up this little guy. It's a rockwell/Delta 1" Sander Grinder. They are sought after and usually fetch more then I'm willing to pay. This one popped up for 1/6th the price, but it needed new wheels at the minimum. A fellow sells new wheels on eBay for $88 and I got them in today. Too bad the drive pulley has been running without a locking screw and oval'd the bore. Oh well. What's a few more $. I'll order it tonight and some new belts (ignore the wrong sized one that's on it now.) Hopefully this will tide me over until I find a 2x72, or build one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That sander is tits.

Jeez good thing I don't have a shop or I'd be completely broke :(

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Welp. I have no time, so here's a random picture dump. Editing later, like always.

*EDITED*

Ok, so let's sort these random photos into something close to organized.

First up:
Cleaning. I decided last month to clean house, well- not literally, our house is a mess. I've loosely decided to start getting rid of anything I have't touched in ~6 months or don't have long term plans/uses for. The last month I've been getting rid of tech junk and next up are car parts. I have way to much stuff with no plans for it, so off to eBay/forums it goes. To assist with this, I put together some shelving I had and started getting everything sorted in the loft(s). It's nice to be able to lay all of this out and toss all the junk/broken/why the hell did I keep this broken part? I even setup a old desk from my work and gave myself a shipping/prep area. This will all have to be moved to finish the insulation/wall covering, but at least it's usable for now.

More JDM parts arrived. Again, the Surface/sea option takes FOR FREAKING EVER. The fog lights are OEM 99 fogs that I bought entirely for the OEM brackets. The rotors are also for a project I haven't started yet. I'm using the rubber/hard pipes for my FD and I just sold the SARD intakes.

I pulled the Red 94 in the shop to replace a noisy power steering pump. I've also got the headlight covers removed and have prepared them for reinforcement. More on this later. The gauge cluster is still non functional, so I can't register it quite yet.

My buddy stopped by and we pulled the S5 Turbo motor from that Blue shell that's been sitting here. I dropped it off at Rob's this last weekend.

These are sadly not mine :( If you search way back, you will find a Yellow Repu missing its motor.

My car has actually been getting some attention. I ordered a new battery box with lid, intake snorkel, hatch struts, and even a 99 spec car cover. I really want to put insurance back on it and take it out for a cruise. I've been holding off, as I need to pull the trans/diff (long story) and swap them. And I really want to get the new wheels/tires on it... so much to do so little time.

I've also gone on a wheel search. I wanted to replace my worn 01 miata wheel with a newer 02-03 Mazda Protege wheel. There's a minor difference, the Protege wheel has the perforated grip like the 01-02 wheels. So I managed to find one locally and promptly forgot to take pictures of it installed. To make any of the 99+ wheels work, you have to move the return spring engagement points from 9-3 to 12-6. It's pretty easy with a hand held grinder. (Too lazy to drag the air out.) That and the air bag/horn plugs have to be swapped.

Pic for reference.

And just days after I did all that work, a REAL FD Nardi wheel came up in the local craigslist a state over. The only main difference is the Nardi badge below and the no-grinding required install. The seller was nice enough to ship it, saving me a six hour drive. Total was under $100, which is really decent. But now I have two (let's be honest, I've got like 2 more Miata ones in bins somewhere, haha) laying around.

I couldn't stop there and decided it also needs the correct crystal fog lights. These are $$$, but thanks to Raybrig being a multi-OEM supplier, you can buy them brand new for a 01 Honda for $150! I studied the photos and decided they used the same body with just different mounts/wiring plugs. Both of these are easy enough to swap. Next time I have the car on the lift, I'll swap these out and see how they look.

Since I'm going all out- I also found a Mazda Protege radio that almost matches the factory 99 radio. Why am I doing this? Is it the pursuit of a car I can't yet legally own yet in the US? Or maybe I've just gone mad building my car to look something like it. Who knows?

At some point, spring arrived and brought back the most beautiful sunsets.

Oh and the RX-8 came back for a set of coilovers. Really easy install, maybe 3 hours?

Coming soon will be a ton of pictures where I finish the 94 Montego Blue car that sat outside all winter. One of the last parts arrived- a GESI 3" Ultra High Flow cat. Owners wife did not like the uncorked raw-fuel smell that now permeated the garage... So, we'll give this a shot.

And because this just seems really fitting- I have 5 FD exhausts and I have no idea which ones to keep.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

the spyder posted:

Welp. I have no time, so here's a random picture dump. Editing later, like always.

Now you're talkin'.