Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How do you guys feel about this draft class?

It's bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Canucks signed Drew Shore for some reason. I guess with Eriksson dead and Hansen and Burrows gone they need a warm body or two.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Duke Chin posted:

Oh I see how it is bougie elitest referee. :colbert:

:v:

Bring us beer up in the nosebleeds and I'll vouch for you as not being THE WORST REF in the goon players thanks in advance :v:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Good
[goo d]
adjective, better, best.
1. morally excellent; virtuous; righteous; pious:
a good man.
2. satisfactory in quality, quantity, or degree:
a good teacher; good health.
3. of high quality; excellent.
Carey Price is a good goaltender.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Someone is going to look at the score and say that the Habs finally found their scoring and I'm just going to make this face :smugjones:

THANK YOU GOALIE CAREY

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't understand what's going on with Ottawa.

Alex Burrows is the answer to any and all questions.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know how to embed it so:

http://i.imgur.com/RlxF6dM.gifv

edit: Oh it did it by itself. Good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Martytoof posted:

I don't know how to embed it so:

http://i.imgur.com/RlxF6dM.gifv

edit: Oh it did it by itself. Good.

Needs a waffle flying by

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Needs a waffle flying by

Yeah one really long spaghetti noodle.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

One thing to note with the all the Zach Hyman bashing and his points total compared to Matthews is that Hyman doesn't get any power play time, where Matthews has picked up about 20 of his 55 points. At 5v5 Matthews has 35, Hyman has 22, which seems perfectly reasonable.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Duke Chin posted:

Bring us beer up in the nosebleeds and I'll vouch for you as not being THE WORST REF in the goon players thanks in advance :v:

Pm me your seat

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

So after the Oilers got dominated by the Habs and got lucky they didn't lose 6-1, this loving quote comes out:

https://twitter.com/Sun_Tychkowski/status/841125000652369920

Like holy poo poo. That quote basically sums up how the Oilers have been playing ever since the All-Star break. They're way too complacent with where they are. They've been playing like poo poo in most of their games. They're 7-9-1 since the All-Star break, 2-4-1 in their last 7, they've gone from fighting for 1st in the Pacific to being in a wild card spot and being within striking distance of LA. They have 14 games left, 7 against the California teams and I seriously doubt they can win any one of those games. Hell, I even doubt they can win more than 1 of the 3 games they have against Vancouver right now.

Like, gently caress. This team is just so loving bad right now and they're going to miss the playoffs yet again after having a playoff spot for the entire season. And even if they do make it they'll just get swept by whoever they face. :smith:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kilza posted:

Like, gently caress. This team is just so loving bad right now and they're going to miss the playoffs yet again after having a playoff spot for the entire season. And even if they do make it they'll just get swept by whoever they face. :smith:

Don't they still kinda stink when Mcdavid isn't on the ice?

e: New Coaches Corner Transcribed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jay7wsaYFh4

God drat I love these

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 13, 2017

Zybl0re
Aug 10, 2002

I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SHIT!

Martytoof posted:

Someone is going to look at the score and say that the Habs finally found their scoring and I'm just going to make this face :smugjones:

THANK YOU GOALIE CAREY

Carey did make some beauty saves, to be sure. However, the habs also outshot the oilers in every period (and were bad on the power play again but oh well Chucky clutch as frig)

Edit: I guess you are referring to the two empty net goals though lol.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Uh so did anyone see Connor McDavid play an absolutely insane third period+ against the Pens because god drat is he good

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Norway now has a hockey world record that I doubt ever will be beaten.

A game went to 8 OT. An 8,5 hour game. 217 minutes of active game time.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/6fe2c9cc0a8b4353bb78ec83b80d6edc/norwegian-hockey-teams-play-record-8-overtime-periods

Norwegian story (google translated):
https://translate.google.com/transl...t-text=&act=url

And they only have one day off before the next game.

Edit: The goalies ended with a staggering 92 and 94 saves

Anders fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 13, 2017

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Caps tanking.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
wow the Stars are bad this year

Grebo
Mar 29, 2012

2015-2016
2016-2017
2017-2018
2018-2019

BRUINS DEFENSE

Anders posted:

https://www.nhl.com/news/incredible-hockey-game-in-norway-goes-8-overtimes/c-287656214?tid=281396148

Yeah, I think the players got it wrong. It's supposed to be best of 7, not 7 games in one :colbert:
Turned it off sometime in 5 OT. Mostly because by then it was like watching zombies on the ice.
I feel sorry for the refs. The same 4 guys out there throughout the entire game. :stare:

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Anders posted:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/6fe2c9cc0a8b4353bb78ec83b80d6edc/norwegian-hockey-teams-play-record-8-overtime-periods

Norwegian story (google translated):
https://translate.google.com/transl...t-text=&act=url

And they only have one day off before the next game.

Edit: The goalies ended with a staggering 92 and 94 saves

"The game took so long, the local police had to put out two tweets that loosely translated to their department getting several calls about missing persons who were last seen at the game, only for the cops to tell the callers the game had not ended yet."

Hahahah that's amazing

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
it took him 907 games but ovetchkin is finally in his first goalless streak of double-digit games at 10 :eyepop:

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Kilza posted:

So after the Oilers got dominated by the Habs and got lucky they didn't lose 6-1, this loving quote comes out:

https://twitter.com/Sun_Tychkowski/status/841125000652369920

Like holy poo poo. That quote basically sums up how the Oilers have been playing ever since the All-Star break. They're way too complacent with where they are. They've been playing like poo poo in most of their games. They're 7-9-1 since the All-Star break, 2-4-1 in their last 7, they've gone from fighting for 1st in the Pacific to being in a wild card spot and being within striking distance of LA. They have 14 games left, 7 against the California teams and I seriously doubt they can win any one of those games. Hell, I even doubt they can win more than 1 of the 3 games they have against Vancouver right now.

I like it i love it i want some more of it

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

How do you guys feel about this draft class?

I'm not sure how I feel about it. A lot of people are saying it's a weak class but I think a lot of that is because 2013-2016 were all relatively strong drafts with multiple guys who were rightfully pegged as being impact NHL players. The best guy this year is someone who would have gone somewhere around 10th in last year's draft, which isn't bad when you think about it. I think there are definitely some interesting prospects out there (I'm really interested to see what happens with Kailer Yamamoto for example) but it's a down year, which I suppose had to come along eventually.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about it. A lot of people are saying it's a weak class but I think a lot of that is because 2013-2016 were all relatively strong drafts with multiple guys who were rightfully pegged as being impact NHL players. The best guy this year is someone who would have gone somewhere around 10th in last year's draft, which isn't bad when you think about it. I think there are definitely some interesting prospects out there (I'm really interested to see what happens with Kailer Yamamoto for example) but it's a down year, which I suppose had to come along eventually.

You think Nolan Patrick would have gone 10th last year? I sincerely doubt that. 6 ft 3 and scored 100 points last year. He'd have easily been top 5.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

You think Nolan Patrick would have gone 10th last year? I sincerely doubt that. 6 ft 3 and scored 100 points last year. He'd have easily been top 5.

You're right, now that I think about it I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the consensus among scouts is he would have been somewhere in the 5-10 range if he was eligible last year. 100% behind Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, and DuBois, and you could make a case for the other guys in that range, like Tkachuk or Nylander, over him too.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Honestly, it's not a great draft but I think people are using the lack of top end talent to colour their perception of it as a whole. An astute GM would load up on picks in the first two rounds just because their value is so much lower than in other years. There are enough players in the mid first round to mid second round that it should produce a few NHLers. Plus there are a number of guys that aren't getting nearly enough credit for their play, particularly Nicolas Hague (a 6'6' defenceman with 18g 45pts in 61 games) and Jason Robertson (6'2 LW who's about to hit 40g and is 25pts ahead of anyone else on his team) who will probably change the perception of this draft in a few years. Then again, the strength of a draft lives and dies by its top guys and this year it's certainly deficient in that regard.

Ginette Reno posted:

He was a few days short of the cut off for the 2016 draft, and had he been eligible last year he'd probably have gone 5 at best. Matthews, Laine and Puljujarvi were all clearly ahead of him and Dubois had a late surge and ended up going third. I'd probably choose Patrick over Dubois today and then, but it's pretty close and that's hardly a ringing endorsement of him.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

tofes posted:

wow the Stars are bad this year

yeah well you know, can't sign players to contracts.. got to let them walk, the answers are found in the AHL.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Leafs are well within their rights to raise ticket prices next year but lol at the way they're selling it:

quote:

Maple Leafs season-ticket renewals start Monday, and they’ll cost more than they did last season.

But Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment insists it’s raising prices to protect consumers and make more tickets available.

When the company’s analytics team tackled the secondary ticket market, it found that many single-game Leafs tickets sold via brokers and scalpers for nearly twice their face value. The markup represents a fat profit for resellers, and a hefty incentive to stay in business.

Next season, season-ticket prices will rise by between $7 and $16 per ticket per game, but MLSE chief commercial officer David Hopkinson says the increase won’t affect the final price on the secondary market, where brokers resell the season seats they purchase.

Instead, he says, raising the retail price with shrink resellers’ profit margins. Hopkinson says fewer brokers in business means more tickets for fans.

:downs:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

The Leafs are well within their rights to raise ticket prices next year but lol at the way they're selling it:

:downs:

Does Dan Snyder own this team?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Starsfan posted:

yeah well you know, can't sign players to contracts.. got to let them walk, the answers are found in the AHL.

Take our MAF
Take our MAF
put his 'tending to the test
just chain him to the post, cherie
and he'll provide the rest
fleur-de-lis
glove shake-y
at least he's not named Niemi
Mind his 5-hole, though, it's dire
don't believe us? Ask the Flyers
Sometimes he flops
and rides the bench
but did I mention he speaks French?
and on your team he won't be second-best
so go on, have a ball
Jim Nill just give a call and
take our MAF
Oui, our MAF

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Slappy Pappy posted:

Caps tanking.

Makes sense. Best season they've played in several years, why not pair it with the worst losing streak they've had in years.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Take our MAF
Take our MAF
put his 'tending to the test
just chain him to the post, cherie
and he'll provide the rest
fleur-de-lis
glove shake-y
at least he's not named Niemi
Mind his 5-hole, though, it's dire
don't believe us? Ask the Flyers
Sometimes he flops
and rides the bench
but did I mention he speaks French?
and on your team he won't be second-best
so go on, have a ball
Jim Nill just give a call and
take our MAF
Oui, our MAF

god drat :golfclap:

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Does Dan Snyder own this team?

This actually seems legit though. If scalpers are getting $100 or whatever per ticket, why shouldn't the team cut out the middleman? If I'm paying for a game I'd rather it go to the team than some random dude...

It's not like anyone got tickets for face value anyways.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

pseudodragon posted:

This actually seems legit though. If scalpers are getting $100 or whatever per ticket, why shouldn't the team cut out the middleman? If I'm paying for a game I'd rather it go to the team than some random dude...

It's not like anyone got tickets for face value anyways.

Because the scalpers are just going to raise their prices, Toronto can't control that.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
why wouldn't resellers just raise the price they resell for unless I'm missing something. If there's demand then people will still pay

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I feel like there's really just gonna be a bigger secondary market now, since the Leafs don't suck nearly as much

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Levitate posted:

why wouldn't resellers just raise the price they resell for unless I'm missing something. If there's demand then people will still pay

That's the thing. The secondary market is making money on the discrepancy between face value and what the market will bear. If people are willing to pay $300 a ticket, it doesn't matter what the secondary market pays for them, as long as it's far enough below $300 to be worth their while. If the leafs raise their price less than the "worth their while" variable, it won't affect the secondary market price at all because the supply and demand curves do not change.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

glynnenstein posted:

That's the thing. The secondary market is making money on the discrepancy between face value and what the market will bear. If people are willing to pay $300 a ticket, it doesn't matter what the secondary market pays for them, as long as it's far enough below $300 to be worth their while. If the leafs raise their price less than the "worth their while" variable, it won't affect the secondary market price at all because the supply and demand curves do not change.

This is excellent micreconomic theory but in practice resellers will just raise the prices and the "fans" they're talking about still won't able to afford the tickets. In fact they'll be even more out of reach.

e: In micro terms, hockey tickets to the Maple Leafs are inelastic goods.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Demand should be up now that the leafs aren't the worst team in the league anymore. Fans can afford to pay a little more now since they don't have to throw their jerseys onto the ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Which is still fine. There's an upper limit at which 20000 people are willing to buy tickets and I'm totally fine with the team raising prices to that level. Whether the team charges $1 or $1000 doesn't really affect how much fans are paying anyways.

• Locked thread