Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Parroting other people, Mazinger ZERO or the Gaines, though I still like Daitarn 3's Sun Attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
What units are worth upgrading all the way (sans weapons for now) early on?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senerio posted:

What units are worth upgrading all the way (sans weapons for now) early on?

Your protagonist unit for certain.
Ange (She gets EN Regen as a upgrade bonus whichi basically gives her infinite High Mobility Attacks/Unlocked Ability attacks.)
Akito (Basically the same.)

Are probably the three who benefit the most from very early upgrades.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Ange (She gets EN Regen as a upgrade bonus whichi basically gives her infinite High Mobility Attacks/Unlocked Ability attacks.)

That and maybe Black Getter because those upgrades transfer to Shin Getter.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe also the Arbalest since its upgrades carryover to both the Laevantine and Bonta-kun

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Keep in mind you get the Full Upgrade Bonus at 50% Upgrade in this game, while there's a second Full Upgrade Bonus at 100%.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm probably gonna pick this up in the Summer when there's a lull in this horrible swathe of good games to play but is there some kind of Before You Play thing you guys have rigged up for V yet? When I asked for tips on Moon Dwellers I got a ton of incredibly useful stuff but is there anything really notable to know from the get go or is it like the Z3 stuff where you can shove everyone's weapons up to 50% and then just upgrade everything else.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Policenaut posted:

I'm probably gonna pick this up in the Summer when there's a lull in this horrible swathe of good games to play but is there some kind of Before You Play thing you guys have rigged up for V yet? When I asked for tips on Moon Dwellers I got a ton of incredibly useful stuff but is there anything really notable to know from the get go or is it like the Z3 stuff where you can shove everyone's weapons up to 50% and then just upgrade everything else.

V is incredibly easy even by SRW standards, especially if you upgrade your units. The ability to cast spirits during the enemy phase plus Foresee, which is an Alert that can be cast on allies, basically means that you need to be asleep at the wheel to ever actually lose a unit.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Pureauthor posted:

V is incredibly easy even by SRW standards, especially if you upgrade your units. The ability to cast spirits during the enemy phase plus Foresee, which is an Alert that can be cast on allies, basically means that you need to be asleep at the wheel to ever actually lose a unit.

Well alright, just asking ahead because I used to think I was really good at SRPGs only to find out I'd been playing Z3.1 completely wrong and had to be corrected hard by this thread on it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In addition to being easy, the rules are simplistic compared to OGs (no messing around with twins, skill parts, TP is more flexible than PP). There's also an embarrassment of good units, starting with the Yamato and Nadesico, and the gameplay is actually more forgiving than usual with anytime Spirits and Predict. I don't think there's really a way you can screw up.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Has any SRW had enemies actually use spirits?

I feel like that could work interestingly with V's system, and perhaps balance it a little better without making the game too hard.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Raxivace posted:

I feel like that could work interestingly with V's system, and perhaps balance it a little better without making the game too hard.

Fantasy Maiden Wars on Lunatic Difficulty.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Raxivace posted:

There's enemies in this game that use spirits.

Like, in specific situations, rather than spamming them or anything, but still.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Enemies with evasion are lovely enough without them casting Alert on the fly.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

HitTheTargets posted:

See, my fear with him is what I alluded to by calling him a Nice Guy. .
Ange is the aggressor in the relationship, at the beginning of it he sees himself as a platonic servant of hers (her knight) and unworthy of her. When they do get into a relationship, as mentioned he wants to wait until marriage. He is also the last of kind...he really is the male version of the token love interest, just with a dick instead of a vagina and that seems to be the joke

Embyro was a great villian that was wasted and is more complex in his sexism and what he reprsents than what he appears and Hilda is good, but it's an above average anime series with tons of fan service that could have been a lot better.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 13, 2017

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Policenaut posted:

Well alright, just asking ahead because I used to think I was really good at SRPGs only to find out I'd been playing Z3.1 completely wrong and had to be corrected hard by this thread on it.

For maximum minmax don't spend any TacP until you get the Factory open so you can upgrade V's equivalent of the Z-Crystal from Z3. One of the level 3 upgrades is "get loads of TacP all the time" and seeing as its both PP and Z-Chips in this game that's a pretty good upgrade to have as early as possible.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Shin Masou Kishin - Panzer Warfare is like the only official SRW game where the enemies have Spirits and use them outside of prescripted events.

It doesn't really make things more tactical because it's not like they programmed really smart adaptative AI or anything - they just kinda cast Vigor and maybe some random stuff once in a while.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Pureauthor posted:

This worked for me until the last couple stages, the last especially where every boss has a map attack and isn't afraid to spam it. Jesus christ the Arcadians and their triple move abilities. Playing reactively there lost me a few Reals.

For real though the rest of the game is such an incredible cake walk, even going for the SRs. Your units feel way more broken then normal.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Raxivace posted:

Alpha Gaiden. :argh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem with spirits is that they're not really designed with enemies using them in mind and the bulk of them as they're currently designed wouldn't be any fun if they were used randomly. Stuff like Iron Wall is annoying when you have set triggers for it, let alone if an enemy could just decide to use it if they wanted. Things like Hot Blood are either meaningless ("whoops, I dodged it with Flash") or feel unfair ("Whoops, this enemy who can already oneshot most units now did double damage, goodbye Mazinger, nothing I could have done about that.) They're all geared to give players the advantage. Having spells activate at set triggers is the best way to do both but still runs into the fact that very few of the spells provide interesting challenge.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
For Ace Pilot Bonus, do you have to research it to unlock it, or just get 50 kills? Also how do you measure or find out about pilot kills

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Also the only real dimension to SRW at a unit level is damage. Spirits alter damage rates and hit rates, and bosses already do this with their adjusted HP and skills. Everything interesting standard SRW has done has been about movement at the army scale (splitting armies across multiple objectives, blocking/baiting enemies, etc.). To the extent that SRW gameplay matters, bosses are the part that don't, unless it's a "have enough resources to pass the damage threshold" type.

NutritiousSnack posted:

For Ace Pilot Bonus, do you have to research it to unlock it, or just get 50 kills? Also how do you measure or find out about pilot kills

It's 60/80(?) if you don't have the skill, and pilot kills are on the pilot info page and a column on the pilot overview chart.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you want to make srw bosses interesting just rip off fantasy maiden wars

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hmm, you all raise some very valid points. For whatever reason I didn't seem to notice the spirits that activate at specific points in V.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Alpha Gaiden. :argh:
I've actually yet to play that since I'm waiting for the Alpha 1 patch first.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

TheManSeries posted:

Its a hold over from Z3, but the Laevatein's Lambda Strike/Howlitzer dynamic kill is still my favorite. They put in work to clean that thing up and I'm happy.

only tangentially related but I gave Sousuke Mightgaine's theme on a whim and holy poo poo that sax works so well with both the Arbalest and Laevatein :allears:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Raxivace posted:

Hmm, you all raise some very valid points. For whatever reason I didn't seem to notice the spirits that activate at specific points in V.

Alpha Gaiden is really good and then you get to the endgame.

I have yet to finish the last two stages, and it was the first SRW game I ever played.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Alpha Gaiden is really good and then you get to the endgame.

I have yet to finish the last two stages, and it was the first SRW game I ever played.

I think you mean the Bergelgame

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

So are you gonna invent a time machine or discover immortality?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Pureauthor posted:

Well it's easy if you ignore SP requirements. I'm in 14-15 and one of the FMP dudes has died in both missions I've had him in. The AI targets him and 20-30% to hits and he still gets rocked.

Since SP reqs are basically PLAY STUPID rules. Units you would otherwise Evade or Defend with now you roll the dice just to make sure poo poo gets DONE or burn Spirit you normally wouldn't. Plus instead of getting into cover and forming defenses or like getting FMP dudes lined up for their Team Up attack or Support links everyone in your squads thinks they are a Khorne Berserker from Warhammer 40k and goes charging out like a maniac. I guess it's not as bad if you only use units you like and let everyone else stay on ship but after FF6(3) on the SNES I have an aversion to ever not letting people earn levels and upgrade their equipment.

And now you can't fail grind and still get the SPs like what was basically a requirement in AG so it ain't entirely babby's first SRW.
To be sure it's not XCom Terror From the Deep though. And V is friendly as gently caress. Need a team assist spirit? It lets you see who has what and cast it without switching dudes and menus. Fast speeding of animations? Compared to 3 and F this game is like WE HAVE FIXED EVERY ISSUE YOU HAVE WITH OUR GAME. (Except the having too many dudes bit. But that's more my personal issues I mentioned.)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Droyer posted:

So are you gonna invent a time machine or discover immortality?
I actually already have a time machine. I came here from the year 2005- however my time machine broke so now I'm stranded in this future dystopia.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

And now I've played the Golden ending. It's a bit more fun than the normal, though the final stage is easier due to the Wave Motion Gun.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Going back a few pages, I generally prefer super originals to reals, at least in the more recent games. It feels like to me every real has a gun, missiles, maybe a laser sword, a big gun, funnels and the final attack is using them all at the same time. I think supers are allowed allowed more personality and originality since they don't have to be "realistic".

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Since I usually limit myself to units from series I've already seen, I usually pick a super original since I haven't seen many super robot anime. I like to think I'm filling in a crucial niche on my team as a result even though it usually doesn't matter that much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eh, the vangray at least has theming. It's not super interesting but it just being guns stuck on top of other guns with stubby little legs gives it some personality, more than a faux-gundam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like Vangray a lot once I realized its gimmick is that it's literally a factory that made itself enough weaponry to be mobile.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Endorph posted:

eh, the vangray at least has theming. It's not super interesting but it just being guns stuck on top of other guns with stubby little legs gives it some personality, more than a faux-gundam.

I am still confused that the legs are not also guns.

I mean, GranVang kind of fixes that problem, but still.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Policenaut posted:

You're good. There's no cost to losing units and you can always save the SR points for Newgame+ when you do the other paths. Custom bonuses are super cheap, you basically drown in great power parts, and the battleships in this game are absurdly good. It's mind-boggling how good the battleships are. Ace Ruri as early as you can and it's just unfair how good she makes your army.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So is just getting the secret stage good enough for Black Mightgaine or do I need to do somethign with Mightgaine or...?

Senerio fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 14, 2017

Petridish
May 25, 2008
Well, looks like I'm not getting the true ending. I didn't get a choice after stage 49, and now I'm on stage 50 of the normal ending route. Not sure what I did wrong, I had over 30+ aces, never missed an SR point, and made sure the characters killed the bosses from the same series. The only thing I can think of is that I had to choose a certain route, but theres no way they would force you to take certain routes to get the true ending, would they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Senerio posted:

So is just getting the secret stage good enough for Black Mightgaine or do I need to do somethign with Mightgaine or...?

You just need to get the secret stage

• Locked thread