Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

BAR did it better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Kyle was just doing his part to get Nascar on Sportscenter, he's a team player.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I now know who's idea BAR ripped off for their '99 livery

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Shouldn't you combine mustard and hot dogs or something that isn't poison? I just came here for the punch video anyway.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Elitist Bitch posted:

:toot::respek::toot:

I just got to see the end of the race and Kyle is such a baby for not going and talking to JoLo like a loving adult. It was loving hilarious though.

I dunno if it's the era I grew up in or the geographical area but punching some dude you're mad at is acting like an adult to me. Going over to him and whining that you're mad at him would be considered being a baby.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yeah talking things out is for assholes?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Well, when you're that angry it is. Either go over and punch the guy or just wait a few days and cool off. Screaming at each other generally doesn't do anything positive.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
What about offering them a peace pinch from your chew

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I dunno if it's the era I grew up in or the geographical area but punching some dude you're mad at is acting like an adult to me. Going over to him and whining that you're mad at him would be considered being a baby.

Well, we grew up in different eras and geographic areas, but IMO if you punch someone your argument is automatically lost. I still very much believe that. I do think they may have done better by going their separate ways and discussing things on Thursday or Friday. Time has a good way of cooling things off.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

maybe im cynical but im pretty sure the drivers know that getting in tussles is good for ratings. not that its staged, but i think the bar for 'im gonna go try to punch him' is lower than in other series or sports cuz of that

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Elitist Bitch posted:

Well, we grew up in different eras and geographic areas, but IMO if you punch someone your argument is automatically lost. I still very much believe that. I do think they may have done better by going their separate ways and discussing things on Thursday or Friday. Time has a good way of cooling things off.

Yeah, but this is NASCAR we're talking about, they don't give a poo poo. See also JWT/SRA getting the same punishment, despite only one going completely insane. So someone comes up to you, you better fire first and make it count, it's the same punishment either way.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

This explains literally everything.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
when i get mad I throw things across the room like a toddler because thats totally okay when youre 2 WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Hasn't like half the field tried to punch Joey at some point throughout his career, same with Kyle too? If one punches the other and one of them ends up tackled and bloody I get the feeling most other teams are chalking it up to each them earning it one way or another. Either way it was funny to watch. Also Joey said in his post race that none of the punches landed but it sure looked like Kyle got him with the sucker punch, as weak as it may have been. Hard to miss from that close up.

I wonder if NASCAR will probate both or at least the #18 for the rest of the year basically taking any chance of rivalry off the board because of potential championship losing implications if they wreck each other? It is gonna be tough to keep away from each other for the next 33 races, especially if they end up battling for "playoff" positions late in the year.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I hated Kyle a lot more before he gave the middle finger to Goodyear after his tire blowout.

Joey can eat a bag of dicks though.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/841523930431180800

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
please don't doxx me

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

bigbillystyle posted:

Hasn't like half the field tried to punch Joey at some point throughout his career, same with Kyle too? If one punches the other and one of them ends up tackled and bloody I get the feeling most other teams are chalking it up to each them earning it one way or another. Either way it was funny to watch. Also Joey said in his post race that none of the punches landed but it sure looked like Kyle got him with the sucker punch, as weak as it may have been. Hard to miss from that close up.

I wonder if NASCAR will probate both or at least the #18 for the rest of the year basically taking any chance of rivalry off the board because of potential championship losing implications if they wreck each other? It is gonna be tough to keep away from each other for the next 33 races, especially if they end up battling for "playoff" positions late in the year.

I imagine the powers that run NASCAR are fairly conflicted.

1) NASCAR really needs some rivalries. It's pretty boring when the Drivers all like each other
2) Monster wants the drivers to show some emotion and mix it up.
3) Mars, Inc. isn't happy when Kyle goes off and does things that are not corporate and boring.
4) Kyle doesn't want to lose his sponsor

In the end, one of NASCAR's biggest problems is that most of the Sponsors are bad for the sport that they pay for. Racing doesn't lend itself to being a corporate drone.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
The only driver I can ever remember losing a sponsor (outside of direct criminal behavior, like Mayfield) over behavior has been Kurt Busch, and he was legit out of control for a lil while. Mars doesn't give two shits about this if I had to guess.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

VikingSkull posted:

The only driver I can ever remember losing a sponsor (outside of direct criminal behavior, like Mayfield) over behavior has been Kurt Busch, and he was legit out of control for a lil while. Mars doesn't give two shits about this if I had to guess.

quote:

The recent actions by Kyle Busch are not consistent with the values of Mars Chocolate North America. While we are disappointed with the situation, we hope the drivers and team members involved learn from this experience and continue to grow as professional athletes representing the sport.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Corporations hold firm beliefs in their values and never say bullshit for PR purposes only. Also, Mars in particular definitely doesn't use what amounts to slave labor while also destroying large ecosystems while making their product.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

A copy/paste "press release" of two sentences does not add up to even a single poo poo.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
They did pull sponsorship for 2 races back in 2011 when Kyle pulled similar poo poo.

But now I'm convinced this is all lies.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

daslog posted:

They did pull sponsorship for 2 races back in 2011 when Kyle pulled similar poo poo.

Are you being serious? On what planet is even actually cold cocking a dude even remotely the same as this? :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDZ_xwJR6b4

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

daslog posted:

In the end, one of NASCAR's biggest problems is that most of the Sponsors are bad for the sport that they pay for.

See also: NASCAR's response to the DOGEcoin car in the Allstar Race.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

What was their response? I only remember it getting far more TV coverage than the driver deserved. The Patrick effect.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

What was their response? I only remember it getting far more TV coverage than the driver deserved. The Patrick effect.

Essentially to crack down on the voting. More of a missed opportunity than anything, really. I wish I could find the article where someone complains about how fans and sponsors came to see Patrick and it was just so :fuckoff:.

e: Found it.

\/: You're right, it was.

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 14, 2017

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I remember that article, that wasn't Nascar though that was the sports media crying about reddit flooding the votes.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Not NASCAR, but a bunch of Renault's sponsors pulled out after Crashgate.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I hope nobody else here was watching a medium sized SRA pit shirt on Ebay, because I just bought it.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Slickdrac posted:

Are you being serious? On what planet is even actually cold cocking a dude even remotely the same as this? :stare:

And really didn't they pull sponsorship because Kyle was suspended after that? While Mars can't publically endorse it, they can't really be mad about a pit road fight. An incident that is getting national coverage, that didn't risk another driver serious injury like the Hornaday wreck, and M&M's is splashed all over TVs on Monday morning? The only thing I'd be bummed about if I were Mars is that there were only like two M&M's fire suits down there and the rest all had Penzoil across them. They're getting the bulk of the free advertising and it was the M&M driver that started it. Come on Kyle, next time bring a few crew members down for the screen time.

I can't seem to find any info on penalties, were there any? I have only been able to find articles saying punishment would be unlikely with some recent examples of fights throughout the three major series that hadn't seen any penalty. I thought NASCAR handed that poo poo out on Tuesdays?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

I sincerely think this kind of poo poo should get you banned from all competition for an entire season. Just petty and stupid and dangerous.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

wicka posted:

I sincerely think this kind of poo poo should get you banned from all competition for an entire season. Just petty and stupid and dangerous.

This.

Jesus christ I though Crashtor was a dangerous murder machine. Kyle actually TRYS to kill people. Under CAUTION! What a dilldo.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/841813931035398144

At first it seems exciting, but I don't see their road course being much of an improvement

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

400 miles on the road course in stock cars is going to turn it into an endurance race.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

this is when you remember that they made mentally disabled little brother Tony George the president of IMS

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

400 miles on the road course in stock cars is going to turn it into an endurance race.

my stupid dream is for IMSA/WEC to run a weekend on that drat thing.

That being said...I don't think I've seen a series (OUTSIDE OF INDYCAR) gently caress a golden opprotunity with a weekend like the Brickyard than NASCAR has.

Went from rivaling the Indy 500 (and likely being more popular than it) from 1994 until 2008. Then they found a way to quit running IRP and building up the good will they had created with short track fans there.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Christ, the IMS road course is so bad for anything on four wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

my stupid dream is for IMSA/WEC to run a weekend on that drat thing.

That being said...I don't think I've seen a series (OUTSIDE OF INDYCAR) gently caress a golden opprotunity with a weekend like the Brickyard than NASCAR has.

Went from rivaling the Indy 500 (and likely being more popular than it) from 1994 until 2008. Then they found a way to quit running IRP and building up the good will they had created with short track fans there.

WEC might actually be a pretty good possibility, since I don't think they're too happy w/COTA.

• Locked thread