Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I like how hard you gross fuks work to make this weird manga even weirder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I like how you show up in the thread to clownpost about how normal the manga is and how it's the posters who are the problem. B-b-b-b-but something awful, underage looking comatose women trapped in a crystal giving birth to children thrown out on the street is perfectly normal in a manga about boobs and dragon friendship!!!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Weird immortal crystal loli pregnancies aside, I just can't get over how much Mashima has abused the "X character was Y relative" troupe in the last two dozen chapters or so, it feels incredibly lazy writing even for Fairy Tail.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

yikes

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Spiderdrake posted:

I like how you show up in the thread to clownpost about how normal the manga is and how it's the posters who are the problem. B-b-b-b-but something awful, underage looking comatose women trapped in a crystal giving birth to children thrown out on the street is perfectly normal in a manga about boobs and dragon friendship!!!

nah it's ok cos she's actually hundreds of years old

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

sharktamer posted:

nah it's ok cos she's actually hundreds of years old

Precht even said it was fine in this chapter.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Kuroyama posted:

We're supposed to use Zeref's words this chapter to infer that Mavis lied and they were able to go further before her coma.
So either either they saved their first kiss for after having had sex, or possibly Mavis meant the kiss in a euphemistic way because she thought "graphic unprotected sexual intercourse" would make the story less classically romantic/tragic when explained to her NAKAMA. Or she got pregnant magically through the Force... and then Precht performed a magical Caesarian on a comatose loli encased in a rock then threw the baby out on the street.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 13, 2017

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

:chloe:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

Precht even said it was fine in this chapter.

by the way, isn't he still alive (or was alive and fought fairy tail)

august is old as gently caress so is precht like 200 years old now or what

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Manatee Cannon posted:

by the way, isn't he still alive (or was alive and fought fairy tail)

august is old as gently caress so is precht like 200 years old now or what

Precht is Hades from the Grimoire Heart arc. He got killed by Zeref (I think he's one of the few people to actually die).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

So either either they saved their first kiss for after having had sex, or possibly Mavis meant the kiss in a euphemistic way because she thought "graphic unprotected sexual intercourse" would make the story less classically romantic/tragic when explained to her NAKAMA. Or she got pregnant magically through the Force... and then Precht performed a magical Caesarian on a comatose loli encased in a rock then threw the baby out on the street.

:yikes:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

You realize I left out the most disturbing option for the sake of not making it depressing as opposed to just weird.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I liked it better when this thread was solely about tity and dragons.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I liked it better when this thread was solely about tity and dragons.

Mashima was protecting us from the ugly truth all this time.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The thing about this reveal is that it was utterly unnecessary as far as I can tell.

There's nothing the story gains by having this guy be Mavis' kid

I imagine it comes into play somehow here eventually but idgi

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
The reveal only tentatively works for the whole ( and in its own right completely unnecessary) "fathers love overcomes" thing with Gildartz and Cana. Too bad that's also a stupid subplot.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Crazyeyes posted:

The reveal only tentatively works for the whole ( and in its own right completely unnecessary) "fathers love overcomes" thing with Gildartz and Cana. Too bad that's also a stupid subplot.
Hasn't Cana and Gildartz's relationship been dealt with like 2-3 times at this point?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Fabricated posted:

Hasn't Cana and Gildartz's relationship been dealt with like 2-3 times at this point?

It was dealt with the moment Cana told Gildartz how they're related, so once.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fabricated posted:

The thing about this reveal is that it was utterly unnecessary as far as I can tell.

There's nothing the story gains by having this guy be Mavis' kid
Not true, by making his origin complete lunacy, it explains why he's such a loving lunatic. Look at the faces he makes. That's the face of a man born to his ... unique situation... And then left on the street like a piece of discarded meat.

I want him to survive to learn of the CoC so he can be like "oh wait none of this is special or interesting or relevant to anyone dad is just hosed by the gods"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hate-Senpai posted:

EDIT: Oh, can't believe I forgot My Hero Academia, that was good too.

To be fair, I think the guy in My Hero Academia can specifically only use the powers of someone else nearby; he doesn't keep the quirks he's copied and I think he can only use one at a time. so his quirk is specifically "temporarily copy my opponents' (or teammates if there are any nearby) quirks during a fight" rather than someone who has a dictionary of techniques he copied in the past like Kakashi.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was actually thinking more on the lines of All For One, though he's more of an ability stealer than a copier.

But it's interesting how he can take seemingly useless quirks (push wind based on physical strength, utterly useless without the physical attributes to push strong and fast enough) and turn it into something devastating by combining it with other quirks to level a squad of top-tier heroes.

Though Monoma or however you spell that is interesting too, not only because of the limitations you've stated but because he lives in a world where all heroes have custom made uniforms that take their quirks to the next level. He doesn't have that luxury, because without a quirk to copy, he's limited to his own physical prowess. Beyond teammates (if any), he's not likely to be informed on what quirks he'll be up against, cause you can't really prepare for every villain when you're reacting to crimes. So unless he has multiple uniforms for every situation that he can pull out on demand, his uniform doesn't provide him with any advantages. And even if he copies a quirk, he's still probably not as proficient in its use, and on a 1 on 1 battle, his opponent will most likely have gear that give them even more of an edge against him. He seems like the type who'd thrive in an environment with tons of powerful quirks around him, sorta like during the License Exams.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hate-Senpai posted:

I was actually thinking more on the lines of All For One, though he's more of an ability stealer than a copier.

But it's interesting how he can take seemingly useless quirks (push wind based on physical strength, utterly useless without the physical attributes to push strong and fast enough) and turn it into something devastating by combining it with other quirks to level a squad of top-tier heroes.

Ahh, yeah, not sure why I didn't realize you were talking about him. I sort of get the impression that maybe All For One needs to "equip" his quirks beforehand and can't just equip all of them at once due to potential "conflicts" or something. I could be wrong, but it seemed like he had experimented with different combinations of quirks to achieve the best result, which possibly implies that he can't just access everything all the time. It also seems like he can take multiple instances of the same quirk and "stack" it to make it stronger, which implies that his quirk works differently than one might intuitively expect it to.

But yeah, it seems like it wouldn't be that hard to choose some combination of quirks that could defeat All Might, regardless of how strong/fast he might be. Just combine something like invisibility/flight with the durability that one Noumu had and some really strong attack and there's no much All Might can do (flight in particular would render All Might almost powerless if it were combined with that Noumu's durability, since it would be impossible for All Might to carry out a sustained assault).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Ahh, yeah, not sure why I didn't realize you were talking about him. I sort of get the impression that maybe All For One needs to "equip" his quirks beforehand and can't just equip all of them at once due to potential "conflicts" or something. I could be wrong, but it seemed like he had experimented with different combinations of quirks to achieve the best result, which possibly implies that he can't just access everything all the time. It also seems like he can take multiple instances of the same quirk and "stack" it to make it stronger, which implies that his quirk works differently than one might intuitively expect it to.

But yeah, it seems like it wouldn't be that hard to choose some combination of quirks that could defeat All Might, regardless of how strong/fast he might be. Just combine something like invisibility/flight with the durability that one Noumu had and some really strong attack and there's no much All Might can do (flight in particular would render All Might almost powerless if it were combined with that Noumu's durability, since it would be impossible for All Might to carry out a sustained assault).

He lost that durability power by giving it to the Noumu, though. And his injuries likely interfere with many flight powers.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think once quirks (or, as he refers to them, "stocks") have been used to create something, he can't unfuse them.

And yeah, he probably can't use them all at the same time, but he can use them consecutively, I think?

Like, before activating the quirks of Black Mist and Magne, he used some quirk to extend his finger like a needle, stabbed them, and then used another quirk to forcibly activate their quirks while they were unconscious. At least, I assume they were separate quirks.

And to be honest, I don't think All For One is in possession of multitudes of powerful quirks; I feel like he has a lot of utility quirks and then a lot of weaker quirks that he combines to make the most use out of.

If powerful quirks suddenly just disappeared, it would have made him much more noticeable, I think.

One neat tidbit was him voicing his disappointment that the super regeneration quirk (which he ended up giving to the first Noumu) was utterly useful for him because it couldn't heal wounds that he'd sustained prior to obtaining it, only after, which is why he considered it useless. This sorta interaction between quirks and users is really neat.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Angry Grimace posted:

How did she give birth inside a crystal

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This is the funniest the thread has been in a while and all it took was one of the weirdest chapters in a long time.

As an aside, are we sure demons can't have mothers?

Hate-Senpai posted:

This sorta interaction between quirks and users is really neat.
MHA is seriously such a step above average shonen, just stuff like that makes it really interesting. Even the spinoff is good.

I mean not that it doesn't have its flaws and all, but it's refreshing in how much isn't flawed.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Spiderdrake posted:

This is the funniest the thread has been in a while and all it took was one of the weirdest chapters in a long time.

It's been stated in the series that Zeref made all the demons by himself.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Spiderdrake posted:

MHA is seriously such a step above average shonen, just stuff like that makes it really interesting. Even the spinoff is good.

I mean not that it doesn't have its flaws and all, but it's refreshing in how much isn't flawed.

I enjoy the hell out of MHA.

I think a part of what makes it work is that for the most part, Deku and the cast are still kids and live in a universe where they are treated like them. The world of MHA has rules and regulations and industries and policies centered around quirks and their use, which really helps expand the world, and these laws have reasonable basis. The kids are subject to all of this, and even despite some of them packing superior firepower to adults, there's still a world of heroes and villains who can stomp 'em (see: final exams, license exam). So the main cast don't really go out and fight villains, most of the time, they're either fighting as a part of their education (tournament, license exams) or in defense (attack of the Villain Alliance 1 and 2) after being given the authority to do so by their teachers.

So since we have kids that are treated like kids, their fights aren't large-scale wars about the fate of a kingdom / country / the world that appears all the time in shounen manga. And the one time that happened, the hero who put the villain down was All Might, the greatest hero, not the kids.

That ain't to say that I dislike large-scale stuff, I certainly enjoy it in One Piece.

But Fairy Tail feels like it's had back-to-back end-of-the-world poo poo. Wasn't the major arc before this one the whole debacle with Zeref's Demons planning on destroying the whole world? And then before that was like, the Magic Tournament, which involved a ruined future and bringing dragons to destroy the current world? Or something like that?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
A lot of Fairy Tail is the crew cleaning up various groups of dipshit Zeref worshippers and Dark Guilds digging up all the various world-ending junk that Zeref apparently left laying around everywhere.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still think Fullmetal Alchemist was like, a series where pretty much all the good aspects of shounen manga were utilized to their full potential.

It's like peak shounen for me.

Sometimes I go back to the Brotherhood anime and watch that scene where Alphonse gets ready to fight Kimblee while the ED starts up.

Super good.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6swyp_haZE

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hate-Senpai posted:

I still think Fullmetal Alchemist was like, a series where pretty much all the good aspects of shounen manga were utilized to their full potential.

Sometimes I go back to the Brotherhood anime and watch that scene where Alphonse gets ready to fight Kimblee while the ED starts up.

Super good.

I consider HxH "peak shounen" mostly because the thing I value most in shounen battle manga is interesting/creative battles. FMA has a great story, characters, etc, but I don't think its fights are quite up to the same level as HxH (though they're still good).

One way to put it would be "a great shounen is the sort of manga where kids could have interesting/fun conversations with each other about what would happen if character X fought character Y." In order for conversations like that to exist, you need well/clearly defined powers used in logical ways. An example of an otherwise good shounen that fails this standard is Black Clover. You can't really have much of a conversation about something like "what if Yuno fought Yami" because their skills are generally very vague or overly simple. Earlier Naruto is actually pretty good with this, though Naruto fails pretty badly in terms of plot/characters. Incidentally, Fairy Tail has pretty awful fights AND plot. It's a shame in a way, because some of the powers could make for really interesting fights.

(Obviously it ultimately comes down to what you personally value, but since battle-focused manga are something mostly unique to the shounen genre I use that as a standard for whether a series is "a good shounen." If I'm looking for great plot/characters there are other genres better suited to that, though it's still obviously a great bonus if a shounen manga also has those things.)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I guess FMA doesn't really have the type of power battles that other shounen stuff have because most people work off the same thing - alchemy - and the only alchemist to actually use a different power is Mustang since he does fire instead.

And since shounen is literally aimed at young boys, yeah, I can see why you'd come to your definition of shounen. I admit I wasn't really thinking from the target audience's perspective, a ha ha. God knows I've engaged in my fair number of such topics as a kid.

I guess one of the major reasons I consider FMA such a good shounen is because it's an amazing coming-of-age story that charts the adventures and growth - physically, mentally, and spiritually - of the two main characters in vivid detail. Ed and Alphonse themselves are young men, and they grow alongside the readers as they learn from the people and events around them. This growth even extends to battle, since Ed learns from his losses and fights to figure out how to use his alchemy against Scar or Greed.

Plot-wise, everything's connected, there's pretty much no wasted chapter. Everything happens for a reason.

Hiromu Arakawa is an amazing mangaka.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

Super good.

Sorry, peak shounen is actually Zatch Bell

Like, objectively I have to say FMA is better but in my heart there's only Zatch Bell

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think I've ever read Zatch Bell. I think it aired on Teletoons in Canada though.

Vaguely recall seeing it while flipping through channels years ago.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

Yeah, I guess FMA doesn't really have the type of power battles that other shounen stuff have because most people work off the same thing - alchemy - and the only alchemist to actually use a different power is Mustang since he does fire instead.

There are some other people with cool powers that don't fit into the making-stuff-out-of-metal or generic weapon using categories. Most notably Scar's deconstruction, Gluttony's pocket dimension, Envy's shapeshifting, and Greed manipulating the carbon in his own body (though of these, only Scar is technically an alchemist). I do agree that a lot of other characters have less interesting abilities, though (lots of people who just use a gun or sword, and a fair number of generalist alchemists like Cornello and Alex Armstrong).

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Scar being an alchemist is understating how cool that is, where his powers are actually an incomplete execution of other powers. Or at least that's how I remember, it's been a while.

I swear FT used to have decent fights but somewhere around the time it got really fanservicey that stopped happening. Or so it feels.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Spiderdrake posted:

Scar being an alchemist is understating how cool that is, where his powers are actually an incomplete execution of other powers. Or at least that's how I remember, it's been a while.

I swear FT used to have decent fights but somewhere around the time it got really fanservicey that stopped happening. Or so it feels.

Yeah, he stops at the deconstruction stage. He's technically still using an application of alchemy, though, and Edward himself uses the same thing when fighting the armor guy.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's still pretty amazing how pretty much every character introduced in FMA contributed meaningfully to the resolution of the story. None of the characters were really forgotten about or a waste of time.

Considering the rather large cast, that's pretty goddamn amazing. Half of the cast of FT will be forgotten at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Monaghan posted:

It's still pretty amazing how pretty much every character introduced in FMA contributed meaningfully to the resolution of the story. None of the characters were really forgotten about or a waste of time.

Considering the rather large cast, that's pretty goddamn amazing. Half of the cast of FT will be forgotten at best.

The first time I watched through Brotherhood it was kind of shocking to me how the 4 Chimeras all continued to help and actually survived to the end. In a more predictable story they would've been introduced for the sole purpose of getting merc'd by the bad guys so they could keep up a body count as the series progressed.

• Locked thread