Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao, best case scenario for the flyers this week to get back in the playoff hunt:

quote:

Tonight: Flyers host Columbus, 3 other important games.
Root for the ...
Philadelphia Flyers over the Columbus Blue Jackets, 7 p.m.
New York Rangers over the Tampa Bay Lightning, 7 p.m.
Carolina Hurricanes against the New York Islanders, 7:30 p.m. (NBCSN)
Vancouver Canucks, who host the Boston Bruins, 10 p.m.

Tuesday: Flyers off, but games to watch
Root for the ...
Carolina Hurricanes vs. the New York Islanders (again), 7 p.m.
Ottawa Senators over the Tampa Bay Lightning, 7:30 p.m.
Florida Panthers over the Toronto Maple Leafs, 7:30 p.m.

Wednesday: The Flyers host the Penguins.
Root for the ...
Flyers over the Penguins, of course.
Calgary Flames over the Boston Bruins, 9 p.m.

Thursday: Flyers in New Jersey; NYI, FLA, TB, BOS all in action
Root for the ...
Flyers over the New Jersey Devils, 7 p.m.
Winnipeg Jets over the New York Islanders, 7 p.m.
No overtime! And the Lightning against the Maple Leafs, 7:30 p.m.
Edmonton Oilers over the Boston Bruins, 9 p.m.

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

lmao, best case scenario for the flyers this week to get back in the playoff hunt:

:cawg:

Good luck, you'll need every bit of it

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah playoffs aren't happening, barring some huge collapses by teams above us, and even then there's no chance they go beyond round 1.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Take our MAF
Take our MAF
put his 'tending to the test
just chain him to the post, cherie
and he'll provide the rest
fleur-de-lis
glove shake-y
at least he's not named Niemi
Mind his 5-hole, though, it's dire
don't believe us? Ask the Flyers
Sometimes he flops
and rides the bench
but did I mention he speaks French?
and on your team he won't be second-best
so go on, have a ball
Jim Nill just give a call and
take our MAF
Oui, our MAF

lol

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

e: In micro terms, hockey tickets to the Maple Leafs are inelastic goods.

No they aren't. The supply is fixed but the demand depends on the price.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Take our MAF
Take our MAF
fleur-de-lis
glove shake-y
Sometimes he flops
and rides the bench
so go on, have a ball
take our MAF
Oui, our MAF

Not all heroes wear capes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Scratch the season for Flyers, just let her tank and at least get a decent draft pick I guess. Go Preds.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i don't think we knew this, but oel was playing through a broken thumb. really weird because i thought his stickwork was really improved this year and he was better defensively than he has been in years past, at least with my eye test

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Take our MAF
Take our MAF
fleur-de-lis
glove shake-y
Sometimes he flops
and rides the bench
so go on, have a ball
take our MAF
Oui, our MAF

This is really good.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

fits posted:

it took him 907 games but ovetchkin is finally in his first goalless streak of double-digit games at 10 :eyepop:

He's on pace to finish 18th in the goal scoring race, which would be the worst finish in his 12 year career. Here are his goal finishes for his first 11 seasons: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 3, 3, 4, 5, 14

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Trouba, Enstrom and Myers are all dead so check out the defence the Jets are icing tonight!

Chiarot - Byfuglien
Morrissey - Postma
Stuart - Melchiori

:gary:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

So when's OV going to do that late season back-to-back hat tricks thing and leave everyone else in the dust?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

zegermans posted:

So when's OV going to do that late season back-to-back hat tricks thing and leave everyone else in the dust?

Never, his days as an elite goal scorer are over. Crosby's both a better player and goal scorer and better playoff performer

RIP Ovechkin, you scored for awhile

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Tarasenko is going to quietly win the Rocket Richard this year

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mike_V posted:

Tarasenko is going to quietly win the Rocket Richard this year

The better Russian

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
There's a decent chance that no one hits 40 this year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

There hasn't been a full season without a 40 goal scorer since 1962/63 which was 70 games long. This is Dead Puck 2 and it sucks.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I think Crosby will. 6 in the next 15 games seems reasonable. He might be the only one though.

I could see Marchand, Tarasenko, or Malkin getting there too, but they all need 8. Malkin and Marchand have been so good lately though that I could see them pulling it off. Haven't seen enough of Laine to say either way. I don't think anyone else with 30+ goals will make it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

There hasn't been a full season without a 40 goal scorer since 1962/63 which was 70 games long. This is Dead Puck 2 and it sucks.

But the goals per game is pretty much unchanged for the last 10 years (change from season to season is generally a couple hundredths of a point) so that just means the points are being spread among more players.. which is actually cool and good.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

xzzy posted:

But the goals per game is pretty much unchanged for the last 10 years (change from season to season is generally a couple hundredths of a point) so that just means the points are being spread among more players.. which is actually cool and good.

dehumanize yourself and face to parity

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
remember when we had the "Is Mika Zibanejad a 70 point player in the current NHL?" argument during the offseason? I mean I know he got hurt, but lol

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jamwad Hilder posted:

remember when we had the "Is Mika Zibanejad a 70 point player in the current NHL?" argument during the offseason? I mean I know he got hurt, but lol

Fine with me when they sign him to an extended contract for less this summer. Ziba owns.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think Crosby will. 6 in the next 15 games seems reasonable. He might be the only one though.

I could see Marchand, Tarasenko, or Malkin getting there too, but they all need 8. Malkin and Marchand have been so good lately though that I could see them pulling it off. Haven't seen enough of Laine to say either way. I don't think anyone else with 30+ goals will make it.

I would say Pacioretty has a good chance too.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i like watching hockey and my team is the coyotes. im sorry the pittsburg fans are throwing a fit because they can't win two stanley cups in one year and have things exactly the way they want them

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fits posted:

dehumanize yourself and face to parity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8I9pYCl9AQ

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm not that confident in his Richard or Art Ross chances at the moment. Kunitz is finally off his line which is nice but he's still been slumping in general. He's got four goals in his last 15 games and only 12 points over that span.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jamwad Hilder posted:

He was on pace (more or less) until the injury and never seems to have hit his stride since coming back.

That said, I stand by my dumb opinion because zbad owns.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I would say Pacioretty has a good chance too.

yeah I guess 7 in 13 is pretty doable considering he has 18 in his last 32 (since Jan 1). I haven't see the Habs recently though, I was basing him not hitting 40 on how they weren't a very offensive team for large stretches of the season.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JoelJoel posted:

He was on pace (more or less) until the injury and never seems to have hit his stride since coming back.

I continue to maintain that he's a very good player but not a bonafide NHL star

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Why? I couldn't care less that Brian Gionta is on pace for 16 goals instead of 12 this year. This is the entertainment business. I want to see the best guys getting 50 goals and 100pts. There won't be either this year. I want to see players pushing each other for the scoring lead late in the season with constant big nights. Crosby has 3 points? Well, Ovie just bettered that with a hattrick and two assists.

Why has it become in vogue among hockey fans to say "there's nothing wrong with the sport and if you disagree you don't appreciate it right?" There have been three 50 goal seasons and two 100 point seasons in the last five years. Why are we all supposed to pretend that the Art Ross winner barely scraping 90 points is fun? It's not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I want to see Ovechkin fail and my opinion is worth more to advertisers statistically.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

Why? I couldn't care less that Brian Gionta is on pace for 16 goals instead of 12 this year. This is the entertainment business. I want to see the best guys getting 50 goals and 100pts. There won't be either this year. I want to see players pushing each other for the scoring lead late in the season with constant big nights. Crosby has 3 points? Well, Ovie just bettered that with a hattrick and two assists.

Why has it become in vogue among hockey fans to say "there's nothing wrong with the sport and if you disagree you don't appreciate it right?" There have been three 50 goal seasons and two 100 point seasons in the last five years. Why are we all supposed to pretend that the Art Ross winner barely scraping 90 points is fun? It's not.

:jerkbag:

I was part of the "goalies stop too many pucks" vanguard a week or so ago. Chill out grumpybutt.

Regardless, I find the game more fun to watch when all four lines are a scoring threat. The star players still tend to dominate the top scorer lists so I'm not sure why someone not hitting some arbitrary number means things are broken. What if the completely meaningless milepost was 25 goals instead? Then lots of players would be having great seasons!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I wonder how much TOI has to do with it. The top scorers used to regularly average 20 or more minutes a night. Now look at the top. There's a few guys like Mcdavid and Kane doing that but there's also a ton of guys averaging less than 20. When Ovechkin scored 65 goals he played 23 minutes a night. When Sid hit 120 he played 20:46. This year Sid plays about a minute less at 19:46 and Mcdavid plays just around 21 mins a night which is on the high end of ice time.

Teams just don't lean on star players as much as they used to it seems. And of course there's less powerplays.

e: btw I still find it absolutely insane that Bure averaged 26:52 of ice time in 2000-01. Fuckin lol.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I wonder how much TOI has to do with it. The top scorers used to regularly average 20 or more minutes a night. Now look at the top. There's a few guys like Mcdavid and Kane doing that but there's also a ton of guys averaging less than 20. When Ovechkin scored 65 goals he played 23 minutes a night. When Sid hit 120 he played 20:46. This year Sid plays about a minute less at 19:46 and Mcdavid plays just around 21 mins a night which is on the high end of ice time.

Teams just don't lean on star players as much as they used to it seems. And of course there's less powerplays.

Yeah pretty much the only people going over 20 minutes these days are either double-shifted forwards or top pair defensemen

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I continue to maintain that he's a very good player but not a bonafide NHL star

He's got the hands, the smarts, the hair, and a tight hockey name. What more do you want out of a star?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Ginette Reno posted:

e: btw I still find it absolutely insane that Bure averaged 26:52 of ice time in 2000-01. Fuckin lol.

its not like anyone else was doing anything with those minutes

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think i'd be happier seeing brad richardson score a sixth goal versus crosby score 40. i don't get why we have this discussion every week where we get told how to enjoy hockey, which happens to be having the superstars in the largest media markets score more.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fits posted:

its not like anyone else was doing anything with those minutes

God, poor Bure. That had to be miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

JoelJoel posted:

Yeah he said it has taken him a bit to get comfortable and not hesitate at times because of the whole broken leg injury.

He has also produced better than the guy he was traded for so woo

ThinkTank posted:

Ovechkins not even vaguely on Crosby's level anymore so lol at comparing them like you're NBC

• Locked thread