Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Pochoclo posted:

Boorman's Excalibur is a great movie and I refuse to accept this desecration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSCqnqET8bo

[edit] Jan 30 1965 State funeral of Winston Churchill at St Paul's Cathedral in London. Largest ever state funeral.

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I went to London to see them do their second ever live show way back when '05 or '06 at the Underworld-. It was fun & quite novel, except Axis of Perdition had to withdraw as the support band meaning I've never been able to see them live and that is sad. Then they started playing all the time and the last time I saw them I fell asleep. Which makes it the second show I've ever fallen asleep at.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

forkboy84 posted:

I went to London to see them do their second ever live show way back when '05 or '06 at the Underworld-. It was fun & quite novel, except Axis of Perdition had to withdraw as the support band meaning I've never been able to see them live and that is sad. Then they started playing all the time and the last time I saw them I fell asleep. Which makes it the second show I've ever fallen asleep at.

I remember them saying they could never play live with any regularity because they were just so metal and heavy and they did occasional shows with the bass player from Napalm Death and then boom, put a band together and touring!

[edit2] not UK, and not grindcore, but Scott Hull is the riff master and should be appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHx02wmSf3c&t=166s

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 13, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Everyone is entitled to their own tastes. That thing is extremely out of my taste range.

I've found that pretty much every human being I've met likes Queen, though. That's like common ground.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Asda changes to contract and wages in the news. No pressure apparently http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39257259

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

tessiebee posted:

Asda changes to contract and wages in the news. No pressure apparently http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39257259

Lol yep, straight outta the loving neoliberal manual. Told you guys "laboral flexibilization" is coming, this is barely the beginning.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Pochoclo posted:

I've found that pretty much every human being I've met likes Queen, though. That's like common ground.

Oh so very much no.

E: "The new contracts have been given the seal of approval by the GMB union", wtf.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 13, 2017

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

The best British album ever made is 'Boy In Da Corner' by Dizzie Rascal imhozh

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pantsuit posted:

The best British album ever made is 'Boy In Da Corner' by Dizzie Rascal imhozh

That you can say that in a reality where "Ooh Crikey It's Lawnmower Deth" exists is a stunning indictment of modern society.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Hmm seriously considering leaving Labour now after the response to indyref2. Looks like they're going to shack up with the Tories again. Sorry Corbs I love you but you dropped the ball here bigstyle.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ThomasPaine posted:

Hmm seriously considering leaving Labour now after the response to indyref2. Looks like they're going to shack up with the Tories again. Sorry Corbs I love you but you dropped the ball here bigstyle.

Labour were absolutely always going to be unionist on this

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ThomasPaine posted:

The SNP is eating Tony Blair's policy table scraps, why join in with them on independence and remove the one important difference between the parties?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jose posted:

streaming has broken the singles charts because peolpe just listen to the same songs over and over

Yea. When Bowie died the charts was all him and Justin Beiber and absolutely nothing else. I can't imagine what it's like listening to Radio 1's top 20 right now.

Singles are dumb, who knew.

quote:

This is stupid. Why would you expect Labour to be anything but unionist? Why would you think Labour would want to break the UK up?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
They should ostensibly claim not to support it, but do literally nothing to prevent it and then blame the Tories for the breakup of the Union.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Will we get to celebrate Independence Day

And will Independence Day be when we invoked order 66 or when we actually leave

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

Is it even piracy if you're downloading anarchist music? Most of the local acts of that inclination normally run on a pay-what-you-want basis.

I'm happy to throw some money the way of small acts, who the copyright system is functionally useless for in most cases anyway, on something like bandcamp than I am large acts, who are going to be on spotify or youtube anyway, so I guess it balances out without needing P2P sites or taping off the radio for anything but the most obscure stuff. Definitely moreso than would be the case a decade back.

Where do old Chumbawamba records fall.

They're absolute pain to get hold of these days, even on P2P sites and such, nevermind youtube. I know I lost a few songs of theirs I had to a dying hard drive and I can't find them again at all.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

I remember them saying they could never play live with any regularity because they were just so metal and heavy and they did occasional shows with the bass player from Napalm Death and then boom, put a band together and touring!

[edit2] not UK, and not grindcore, but Scott Hull is the riff master and should be appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHx02wmSf3c&t=166s

I was listening to Prowler In The Yard as you posted this, neat coincidence. Also, talking about Scott Hull, the last Agoraphobic Nosebleed EP was loving tremendous. Sludge good enough that Eyehategod could have put it out.

Pochoclo posted:

Everyone is entitled to their own tastes. That thing is extremely out of my taste range.

Hi, I think Queen are rank rotten, nice to meet you! Plus the whole breaking the cultural embargo on South Africa & continually denying it was a big deal was super lovely.

ThomasPaine posted:

Join Labour For Indy. Labour needs more pro-independence voices, the SNP needs more criticism from the left.

Private Speech posted:

Where do old Chumbawamba records fall.

They're absolute pain to get hold of these days, even on P2P sites and such, nevermind youtube. I know I lost a few songs of theirs I had to a dying hard drive and I can't find them again at all.

I downloaded some old Desperate Bicycles cassette that's long since out of print. It might not be legal but nobody is really going to get mad at you for downloading some rare old poo poo.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 13, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I have to say, in all my life, you two are the first people I ever find that don't like Queen. Maybe brits are more likely to not like them? Prophets in their own land and all that.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I haven't paid for music, tv "boxsets", films, or video games since like 2004. I pirate basically everything.
Sometimes I'll buy books hardcopy, but more often rip them from bookzz. Ama.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I still buy lots of music and will actively look for ways to buy music I've downloaded/pirated that wasn't available to buy at the time. I mean, if it means some arthritic ex-punk can buy another pint, that's my good deed for the day done.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Oberleutnant posted:

I haven't paid for music, tv "boxsets", films, or video games since like 2004. I pirate basically everything.
Sometimes I'll buy books hardcopy, but more often rip them from bookzz. Ama.

I pay for Netflix and Google music because it's easier than pirating, and the money involved is negligible to me. If there's something more esoteric I'll pirate it, but that's less and less necessary these days

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I think for me it's mostly that i can't stand the content-as-servive model. When i want an album i want it on my computer in a universal format like mp3 so i can quickly and easily play it anywhere on almost any device, without needing login credentials or proprietary apps.

For sure there are certain places where you can do this for a limited amount of content, but frankly it's just easier to hit up a torrent site or soulseek. I got sick of having my poo poo spread across itunes, amazon, netflix, wherever. Now i just have a biggass folder called "movies" and everything just works.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

We won't vote for independence though. The fundamental economic questions that scared folk towards the status quo in 2014 still remain, even while the UK's own economic future is murky as gently caress. Something would need to change in the next 18 months, Brexit would have to be exceptionally bad.

The fantasy that the North Sea oil is going to pay for everything has been pretty thoroughly dispelled by the last few years too. As an outsider, my money's on Leave just because nationalism seems to be on the rise everywhere, but the economic case is arguably even worse than it was in 2014, even with Brexit. It certainly doesn't seem likely that Sturgeon can promise to keep the pound this time if she wants to remain in the EU.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I guess I just like having universal access to my poo poo without worrying about what device I'm using or being able to access my home server or whatever.

This isn't UK politics though so yep, thats all.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
MPs debating on the amendments. Sources say Article 50 won't be passed until the end of March. poo poo going down tonight yo. Hold onto your butts.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Nick Clegg was pretty good there tbh. You guys should vote Lib Dem

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
My nan was Irish and I'm seriously considering taking my automatic Irish citizenship just to maintain an easy escape route from this shithole.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Oberleutnant posted:

My nan was Irish and I'm seriously considering taking my automatic Irish citizenship just to maintain an easy escape route from this shithole.

You might as well, there'll be plenty of British firms to work for here post-Brexit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I guess I just like having universal access to my poo poo without worrying about what device I'm using or being able to access my home server or whatever.

This isn't UK politics though so yep, thats all.
It kinda is with the Digital Economy Bill and court orders to block websites and the continual failure of copyright to act as anything but an intellectual equivalent of landlordism (possibly only under late capitalism, possibly forever and inherently).

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

WeAreTheRomans posted:

You might as well, there'll be plenty of British firms to work for here post-Brexit

By the way, you're in Dublin right? How is it compared to London with regards to safety, public transport, and quality of life in general? It's an attractive option for the post-collapse to me because they speak english there, and also cheap real estate (compared to London).

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pochoclo posted:

By the way, you're in Dublin right? How is it compared to London with regards to safety, public transport, and quality of life in general? It's an attractive option for the post-collapse to me because they speak english there, and also cheap real estate (compared to London).

Extremely safe in comparison to London. Public transport is ok up until midnight at least, but it's a much smaller city than London and you're never far from a taxi on a night out.
Real-estate could only be considered cheap in comparison to London, the real problem is availability of housing stock in the city due to out perverse resistance to vertical construction.

Overall, cool city, extremely liveable, good banter to be had

E: for comedy's sake https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-city-survey-new-york-london-and-paris-2618828-Feb2016/%3Famp%3D1

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I agree with Nick

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Remember when quisling nick participated in loving millions of people and probably actually caused brexit? lol

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

jBrereton posted:

Remember when quisling nick participated in loving millions of people and probably actually caused brexit? lol

The only person responsible for Brexit is Dave.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Taear posted:

Rupert might have had a hand in it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Taear posted:

The people who cynically campaigned for Leave to work on their populist credentials while secretly hoping for Remain deserve some blame too. Corbyn probably deserves some for half-heartedly campaigning for Remain while secretly hoping for Leave too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This is beyond the pale. Please don't say such grotesque things in future comrade.

Taear posted:

Boris Johnson really shouldn't get away scot-free here. Yeah, Davey Pigfucker made a horrible mistake in mortgaging the country to hold his party together so he could stay PM while complacently assumed we'd never commit suicide, but I'm not letting all the others responsible get away with it. Gideon, BoJo, Gove, loving Tony Blair sticking his oar in despite him being pure poison, and while I don't think he half-arsed it Corbyn did do a pisspoor job of getting his message out, which is the main theme of his time as leader. A whole lot of blame to go around really.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 13, 2017

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

forkboy84 posted:

This is beyond the pale. Please don't say such grotesque things in future comrade.

My Dublinpost should have made it clear that I live within The Pale :colbert: . And yeah, I was going for something about how Clegg is good at slagging off the opposition but bad at actual policy-making, but it didn't quite come off. Back to the lab.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

My Dublinpost should have made it clear that I live within The Pale :colbert: . And yeah, I was going for something about how Clegg is good at slagging off the opposition but bad at actual policy-making, but it didn't quite come off. Back to the lab.

Hah, I got that, I just automatically hate on anything pro Liberal Democrat. It's instinctive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

jBrereton posted:

The SNP is eating Tony Blair's policy table scraps, why join in with them on independence and remove the one important difference between the parties?

It is fairly telling that the SNP were regarded as to the left of Labour at the last election, yet have done basically nothing to protect Scotland from austerity and have basically been standard neoliberal gits.

• Locked thread