Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

No, it's definitely not right in a "get your poo poo together tech companies" sense, but it's definitely right in a "this is the reality we live in" sense.

Tbf I can understand why you would only support apple considering its market share in the us combined with googles inability to not gently caress with things. Like there's Android auto but also android open accessories. it still sucks tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Well that's a bummer 😢

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

RVProfootballer posted:

Are there specific permissions you are worried about? But no, you are definitely overreacting to innocuous permissions. Anyway, Google has all your personal data already.

Nothing in particular, what smart launcher requests is explained and everything. I'm not concerned about Google, but these 3rd party icon/launcher people, but I suppose they probably buy my poo poo from Google anyway so what is the difference.

Thanks for being the voice of reason. :unsmith:

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 12, 2017

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So a high end radio made a year ago only supports iPhone over USB and not android? That doesn't seem right.

Does your car have Bluetooth? Or did the USB functionality do something that Bluetooth doesn't?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

incogneato posted:

Does your car have Bluetooth? Or did the USB functionality do something that Bluetooth doesn't?

It has Bluetooth but doesn't show album art or song information. The USB did that as well as voice control.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Bluetooth can show the artist and album info so I'm pretty sure this is just ford being janky

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Blue Train posted:

Bluetooth can show the artist and album info so I'm pretty sure this is just ford being janky

Yeah, IIRC, my parents Prius shows artwork and info when connected via BT.

The real lesson is that car/phone integration is just as poo poo as messaging.

I wish there was a site (or if there is that I knew of it) that did a real good in-depth review of all the OEM and aftermarket head units and how well they worked with the different popular phones.

To me, that integration is among the top things I'm interested in when shopping for a car.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Someone here might know...

Anyone subscribe to the Google Blog RSS feed and find that it is kind of poo poo at new posts? Every time there's a new post on the blog my RSS reader picks up the last 20+ posts as if they're new.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

It has Bluetooth but doesn't show album art or song information. The USB did that as well as voice control.
My sync3/PXL does artist/song/artwork just fine over Bluetooth.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

hooah posted:

Hmm, I tried it on mobile Firefox and after tapping the "take the test" button I got this (last line was on a button):

[[ ctrl.content.headline ]]

[[ ctrl.content.description ]]
[[ ctrl.content.cta ]]

What the gently caress? I know only a little about web-dev, being mostly a back-end Java guy, so I don't even know what went wrong here.

Your adblocker is messing up the site. If you whitelist the site, the website will work.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

WhyteRyce posted:

My Pixel has had noticeably worse battery life recently
Why does this keep happening? FFS Google!

I thought it went away over the weekend, just to start over with this poo poo again today. It starts burning battery right after a reboot. I've uninstalled most third party apps and it didn't help.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

But the specs... I mean experience.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So can Android not play music over USB in vehicles? I have a 2015 Focus with the big navigation radio. My iPhone plugged in and played music no problem, displaying album art and everything. Plugged in my S7 Edge today and the radio didn't even recognize it was plugged in. It charged, but when I chose USB input it said no device detected.

Make sure this setting is enabled.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Pulled my SIM card to switch to another phone, it stopped heating my pants.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why does this keep happening? FFS Google!

I thought it went away over the weekend, just to start over with this poo poo again today. It starts burning battery right after a reboot. I've uninstalled most third party apps and it didn't help.

If this actually starts happening again I'm going to whatever Apple phone has a headphone jack or one of those old as poo poo Nokia brick phones I swear.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

But the specs... I mean experience.

Yes because Pixels are the only phone with Google Play Services installed :jerkbag:

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Any suggestions on a case for the pixel xl? I'm looking on Amazon and not seeing great reviews for many of the cases on there.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Any suggestions on a case for the pixel xl? I'm looking on Amazon and not seeing great reviews for many of the cases on there.

Spigen or Diztronic.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I got this one for my regular Pixel and I really like it.
https://smile.amazon.com/Google-Cas...el+xl+parrallax

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So can Android not play music over USB in vehicles? I have a 2015 Focus with the big navigation radio. My iPhone plugged in and played music no problem, displaying album art and everything. Plugged in my S7 Edge today and the radio didn't even recognize it was plugged in. It charged, but when I chose USB input it said no device detected.

Did you make sure your phone didn't just plug in as "Charging Only" mode? When I plug in any device past Android 6.0 into anything that isn't just a USB charger, you have to change that after you plug it in or it will just charge and not pass any data otherwise...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Leaks from Rogers indicate that 7.1.2 may launch on April 3rd.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Anyone have experience with the Zenfone 3 vs Honor 5X in the budget space? ~~my girlfriend~~ is looking to replace her lovely MXP and wants something not made by Motorola/Lenovo and under $200.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Ok so it wasn't asking me anything when I plugged in the USB cable. So I tried another USB cable and it actually asked if I wanted to change that setting.

So I did and it will now play the Samsung song that came in the phone, but I can't get it to play Amazon Prime music at all, only that one preloaded song.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

https://www.incipio.com/google-pixel-pixelxl-cases/carnaby-google-pixel-xl-case.html

I'm honestly kind of partial to this one for mine - the cloth isn't as thick as I'd like (or as it looks on the product images), but it's weathered well thus far.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 13, 2017

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Ok so it wasn't asking me anything when I plugged in the USB cable. So I tried another USB cable and it actually asked if I wanted to change that setting.

So I did and it will now play the Samsung song that came in the phone, but I can't get it to play Amazon Prime music at all, only that one preloaded song.

Ford's sync bullshit for Android isn't worth figuring out. Having to manually select Bluetooth as the source after selecting sync as the input is a really dumb design. I think I discovered that I could only play music I loaded on the phone but not use Spotify or any other music player

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

God I can't wait to get rid of this car.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tiny Lowtax posted:

God I can't wait to get rid of this car.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Don't expect it to be great in any car. The whole car/phone integration think is a real mess. Just be sure and really test it out when you look at a new vehicle.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Does Android Auto not take care of it?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The really simple Bluetooth system in my Mazda 3 works great for music and calls but doesn't attempt to integrate anything else (aside from SMS which works perhaps half the time)

Plugging into the USB port doesn't do anything on Android but that it's a great loss as even iOS only does audio so you need to connect to Bluetooth for calls anyway, and the port only does 1amp which will barely charge my partner's iPhone 6S (and I assume would be completely useless for my N6P)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

One of the nicest features a car can have these days is a minijack aux plug.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RZA Encryption posted:

My Hyundai Sante Fe with Android Auto and Car Play works really well. Just connect via USB to either device (Me: Pixel, Wife;iPHone) and the screen switches over. It works really well.

Infact, it works alot better with Android Auto than Car Play.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Someone linked this cable recently that got kickstarted, supposedly emulates the Apple USB music standard for Android devices.
http://gromaudio.com/wirelinq/

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Android Auto works decently well with Sync3 assuming your car has the update. Ford has been sitting on the update for months.

The update "leaked" back in December, and I finally caved and installed it last month because I'm an impatient moron.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

I haven't used it enough to know if it takes care of it. An issue is getting a car that has it.

Also, I hate having to plug my phone in in the car. So, now we've just got to wait another 3 years for that wireless Android Auto thing to become available on new cards, and then a couple years after that for it to be available on used cars.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

What pisses me off is my dad picked up a new 2016 F-350, and the Sync system is an older Sync 2 so no Android/Apple anything. And it doesn't look like it has any real updates coming down the line since the last one was in early 2016 as it is.

It works OK with his Windows Phone and Mom's Pixel, but is clunky as hell at times. The Windows Phone actually works really well with SMS though where Sync passes it off to the phone to do all the voice communication to answer and reply to a text which is way better than if you had to go through the Sync's voice itself.

Wish Microsoft would stop dragging their rear end and actually make a killer Surface Phone. When Windows Mobile works, it works great, but man have they dropped the ball too many times since WP7/8 that ever going back is approaching never at this point for myself. Dad's Icon still trucks along like a champ for him somehow though.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Well I'm getting a loving ton of nearby notifications for the first time today. They are all from https://my-bubbles.com which is neat except it seems to be for a cafe in Paris. Doesn't help me much here in Toronto sadly

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Windows phone is dead and isn't going to recover regardless of if Microsoft dumps a bunch of money into a surface phone.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My Hyundai Sante Fe with Android Auto and Car Play works really well. Just connect via USB to either device (Me: Pixel, Wife;iPHone) and the screen switches over. It works really well.

Infact, it works alot better with Android Auto than Car Play.

What year is your Santa Fe? I'm guessing they rolled it out with the 2016. I'm wondering/wishing if there is a way to get it on my 2015.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

calandryll posted:

What year is your Santa Fe? I'm guessing they rolled it out with the 2016. I'm wondering/wishing if there is a way to get it on my 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

EdEddnEddy posted:

What pisses me off is my dad picked up a new 2016 F-350, and the Sync system is an older Sync 2 so no Android/Apple anything. And it doesn't look like it has any real updates coming down the line since the last one was in early 2016 as it is.

Sync2 is dead and cars that came with it will not be upgraded to Sync3 unfortunately. Ford started a phased rollout with some (one?) 2015 models, and now finally I think all 2017 models with the full infotainment system are sync3 hardware/software.

Its one of the factors that made me wait for the 2016 Mustang model year, as stupid as that sounds. Having Google Maps on your center console is so much better than any in-house option.