Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

The Chinese exchanges that handle most of the volume these days have also shut down a lot of real currency transactions. Seems like the government started looking into them.

Well not these days as of a week ago because once they started requiring transaction fees and records (due to the government) their share dropped by something like 100%. The shutdown happened after that and was just icing on the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I am at a point now where I'd dress in T-Shirt and jeans to interview at a place because it's what I wear 99% of the time. It's a signaling mechanism. There are a lot of jobs out there for me to take, and if the culture is dress up beyond that I am most likely gonna not like the place because of other issues and their impact on my job.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The differences in attitudes between types of work are funny. My office is super casual, but we are supposed to dress nicely or at minimum to the client's standards when we are at client sites. Thus, if you don't wear a suit to the interview, it raises a lot of questions about your ability to go in to an environment that you don't understand and achieve a decent level of formality. For us, it's always better to be overdressed - you can always take off the jacket or lose the tie or whatever.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The differences in attitudes between types of work are funny. My office is super casual, but we are supposed to dress nicely or at minimum to the client's standards when we are at client sites. Thus, if you don't wear a suit to the interview, it raises a lot of questions about your ability to go in to an environment that you don't understand and achieve a decent level of formality. For us, it's always better to be overdressed - you can always take off the jacket or lose the tie or whatever.

If I was interviewing for a consulting gig I'd dress up(but I don't want a consulting gig...).

I have a made up job(Devops Engineer) and on the whole think it'd be indicative of the environment I'd be coming into as a bad fit in a bunch of ways if dress code was something they spent a bunch of time thinking about.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Punkbob posted:

Honestly I am at a point now where I'd dress in T-Shirt and jeans to interview at a place because it's what I wear 99% of the time. It's a signaling mechanism. There are a lot of jobs out there for me to take, and if the culture is dress up beyond that I am most likely gonna not like the place because of other issues and their impact on my job.

This is not the lived experience for 99% of Americans and would be BWM advice for almost anyone.

I think we can officially end page 3 of "Actually, T-Shirts and shorts are fine to wear to job interviews because..." derail.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think my problem isn't so much that I'm worried they're going to nitpick how I dress, it's that people (all people, whether they want to or not) automatically, subconsciously evaluate you based on how you look and then back-justify their first impression later with whatever facts they need to convince themselves they were right for not liking you on first sight. Even at my current job, where I wear a t-shirt and jeans all the time, I still dressed nice for the interview :shrug:

Also

Punkbob posted:

Devops Engineer

I am so triggered right now

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Content:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5z3axo/is_it_wise_to_buy_a_30k_car_with_60k_annual/

Short but sweet.

On top of the headline question, who takes an Uber twice every day for a less than 2 mile walk?

quote:

Is it wise to buy a $30K car with $60K annual salary and no savings?

Hi Reddit,

I don't have a car and I mainly rely on Uber to get around. My workplace is less than 2 miles from my home and I use a ridesharing app to get to work which is very cheap

I'm 27 and make 60K/annum and I'm a big fan of SUVs. Do you think it would be wise for me to invest $30K on an used SUV. I also don't have any savings.

Oh the reason why I don't have any savings is because "STUDENT LOANS" I paid it off BTW. I'm single no dependents. My monthly expenses come to $2K

Why do I need a car? My rationale would be convenience

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I love when people say they're investing in a car :allears:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I think this might be the worst car loan I've ever seen.

quote:

25 precent car loan

My girlfriend has a 25 precent car loan it's the worst thing I've ever seen. I was wondering about options or anything that could be done about it I've really only bought items and cash and don't know much about refinancing or what could be done to improve the current situation.

It's not brand new the car is a 2016 but she still owes $20,000 on it the car is only worth around 15 or 16k which isn't to bad I was thinking about trying to sell it and pay the difference and be done with it.

I think it was $20,000 loan and she has been paying on it a little over a year it's at like $19,750. So for 6000 dollars she has paid 250 towards the actual principal.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Punkbob posted:

Nice humblebrag.

Regarding Uber to work guy: Buying a new 30k used car to commute 2 miles is extremely dumb.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 13, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

Is It legal for my friend to sell me his stock without a broker?

My friend has stock he bought from the New York Stock Exchange and wants to sell me one for cash. Can he have his broker transfer the stock to me after I pay him in cash? Will he be able to take it back and should I pay him upfront or after?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ate all the Oreos posted:

I think my problem isn't so much that I'm worried they're going to nitpick how I dress, it's that people (all people, whether they want to or not) automatically, subconsciously evaluate you based on how you look and then back-justify their first impression later with whatever facts they need to convince themselves they were right for not liking you on first sight. Even at my current job, where I wear a t-shirt and jeans all the time, I still dressed nice for the interview :shrug:

Also

I am so triggered right now

Hey! I prefaced that it was a made up job. I am more then aware that the title has a bunch of baggage. Both on the use of Devops as a title, and the inclusion of Engineer. But hey it pays me more and leads to less anger then if I was just a sysadmin.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Don't worry you would have lost them in one of a myriad of ways by now

Or cashed out when your total haul would be like 50 bux. Because if you aren't a sincere bitcoin fan why would you wait for them to be worth more?

Comedy option: Forgot about your bitcoins until you noticed you had a few hundred dollars worth. Buy drugs from silk road, because it's easier than cashing out. Die.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I think this might be the worst car loan I've ever seen.

holy poo poo you could put a car on a credit card for a lower rate than that

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Nice humblebrag.

Meh. I view it as if I was an actual engineer and saw that the place I was interviewing at had a bunch of safety violations. It's probably gonna be a poo poo place to ply my trade.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Punkbob posted:

Meh. I view it as if I was an actual engineer and saw that the place I was interviewing at had a bunch of safety violations. It's probably gonna be a poo poo place to ply my trade.

How does a computer touching company have safety violations :psyduck:

e: wait are you saying the t-shirts are like safety violations, not literal ones?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Or cashed out when your total haul would be like 50 bux. Because if you aren't a sincere bitcoin fan why would you wait for them to be worth more?

Yeah I mined like 50 of them back in 2011 when it was still something you could make money doing just with your video card. I think they ranged in value from like $5-20 when I did it and I just cashed out because I figured it would all be gone by now anyway. Whoops!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Inept posted:

Yeah I mined like 50 of them back in 2011 when it was still something you could make money doing just with your video card. I think they ranged in value from like $5-20 when I did it and I just cashed out because I figured it would all be gone by now anyway. Whoops!

Trust me you made more money than the $0 that would remain if you hodl'ded because you would have lost the private key or got mtgoxed or hacked or scammed or any number of things. Congrats on actually earning something!

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

e: wait are you saying the t-shirts are like safety violations, not literal ones?

I am implying that I view places that care about dress code a bunch as a signal to me to stay away. My bet in this case is that there will be a bunch of internal processes or turf fights that I just won't want to deal with.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

I do 90% of my work on computers. Safety is very much a consideration when you're in the field programming conveyors to move thousand pound loads around with people working on them.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Golluk posted:

I do 90% of my work on computers. Safety is very much a consideration when you're in the field programming conveyors to move thousand pound loads around with people working on them.

Oh yeah absolutely it's super important for some jobs, I just assume places that actually do useful work don't call their sysadmins devops thought lords :v:

I mean I totally work at a company that has devops and makes nothing but dumb software and here the closest thing we have to safety is the MSDS'es carefully posted in the break room about how you probably shouldn't huff the stuff in the cleaning solution used to wipe down the desks too much

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Oh yeah absolutely it's super important for some jobs, I just assume places that actually do useful work don't call their sysadmins devops thought lords :v:

I mean I totally work at a company that has devops and makes nothing but dumb software and here the closest thing we have to safety is the MSDS'es carefully posted in the break room about how you probably shouldn't huff the stuff in the cleaning solution used to wipe down the desks too much

We have all the computer duster after lock and key now after a mail room employee left in an ambulance following an afternoon of huffing compressed air.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

drat I waited to open that Wells Fargo bonus account because of this thread and now its expired. This thread made me worse with money!

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Dress nicely is probably pretty good default advice but there's a whole bunch of factors that make it less relevant or completely unnecessary so I mean it's a good idea to suggest in the absence of any more information but it's not universal and there's tons of extenuating circumstances where it's either unnecessary or undesirable so do your own thing based on your own circumstances and also it has pretty much nothing to do with managing money so shut the gently caress up about it already please?

Thanks you!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Dress nicely is probably pretty good default advice but there's a whole bunch of factors that make it less relevant or completely unnecessary so I mean it's a good idea to suggest in the absence of any more information but it's not universal and there's tons of extenuating circumstances where it's either unnecessary or undesirable so do your own thing based on your own circumstances and also it has pretty much nothing to do with managing money so shut the gently caress up about it already please?

Thanks you!

Okay but what should my horse wear when he goes to an interview huh :colbert:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I show up to discuss all business, including job interviews, on horseback and stay mounted for the duration of the negotiation.
It's part of my Hun culture and I demand this accommodation.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Okay but what should my horse wear when he goes to an interview huh :colbert:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That's what dudes should wear too. Letting your dong hang out is a power move.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

canyoneer posted:

I show up to discuss all business, including job interviews, on horseback and stay mounted for the duration of the negotiation.
It's part of my Hun culture and I demand this accommodation.

Not going to lie: if you turned up to an interview like that with me, you'd get through the first round.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

...does that tie really match that suit? I'm usually good at this but I am completely bewildered.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 13, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

NancyPants posted:

...does that tie really match that suit? I'm usually good at this but I am completely bewildered.

You can match either the suit, the coat, or both.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

NancyPants posted:

If you find the article, the suit matches what the rider of the horse was wearing.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

The answer is yes this is perfectly fine. The seller just needs to remember to report it in his taxes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Zero One posted:

The answer is yes this is perfectly fine. The seller just needs to remember to report it in his taxes.

I just like the idea that he is buying one stock from his friend in cash after work.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I just like the idea that he is buying one stock from his friend in cash after work.

I want to believe the friend has old style paper vouchers for the stock, and he's selling them out of a trenchcoat.

I got what you need, man.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Is that tweed? If so, excellent choice for the country.

That horse is better dressed than most people I've seen wear suits to interviews. Get your poo poo tailored, people.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

If you find the article, the suit matches what the rider of the horse was wearing.

That's not what I was asking. I was asking about the tie.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
BWM Thread: Tell me how to figure out how much to spend on an engagement ring. :homebrew:

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Residency Evil posted:

BWM Thread: Tell me how to figure out how much to spend on an engagement ring. :homebrew:

Have you asked the person you are proposing to what kind of ring they prefer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Residency Evil posted:

A lot less than you probably think.

• Locked thread