Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Another thing I want added: the ability to sit by a fire until it stops loving raining.

Ugh, Akkala... I light 1 or 2 lanterns, then it starts bloody raining again.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Your Computer posted:

- Exploration

Wind Waker doesn't have much exploration though, the sea is vast but 90% of it is empty with most islands being the size of a sedan and it's collectibles blocked behind an item you probably don't have. Sailing the sea is fun (once you get the faster sail) but there isn't much to find.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On the subject of other Zelda games: how's Minish Cap? It looks really fun and good but I never got around to playing it all the way through.

Kashuno posted:

A lot, and I mean a lot of people are talking about the durability system from a positive and negative perspective. I genuinely enjoy Jim's content even I disagree 100%. I think weapon durability absolutely owns in this game and I don't care about any weapons enough even if they "look cool" to not use them, but a lot of people do. :shrug:

Yeah, really the only reason I give a poo poo about Jim Sterling's take on this is that I actually do like some of his stuff. If he was just some lovely contrarian I'd write him off and not take another look, like that Slant Magazine reviewer who hated Bloodborne and wrote one of the least-educated reviews of any game I've ever read.

Jim's review bums me out because I think he missed a few things that would've improved his experience, and I also think he's unfair about the towers in it. I've gone on and on in this thread about the key things that make them different from Ubisoft's tired, "throw icons everywhere" towers and it sort of baffles me that he couldn't see that. Also he praised Horizon's towers even though it actually does have full-on Ubisoft towers (except they walk around and are therefore more fun to climb, in all fairness) so I suspect he went into BotW predisposed to be extra critical.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 13, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kirios posted:

clickbait reviews are coming in y'all, two 6/10s now.

I just checked and one of them is from my country :cripes:

The entire review is utter nonsense too. He says that BotW is painfully empty, that you're forced to spend long stretches of the game on horseback because there's nothing in the world and unlike similar game Skyrim there's no beautiful scenery or interesting things to look at (???)

:negative:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Harrow posted:

On the subject of other Zelda games: how's Minish Cap? It looks really fun and good but I never got around to playing it all the way through.

It's great and worth playing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I just checked and one of them is from my country :cripes:

The entire review is utter nonsense too. He says that BotW is painfully empty, that you're forced to spend long stretches of the game on horseback because there's nothing in the world and unlike similar game Skyrim there's no beautiful scenery or interesting things to look at (???)

:negative:

You can always distinguish a bad review (not a negative one, a bad one) by a reviewer who stubbornly refuses to engage with what's actually going on around him. Sounds like he went into the game and thought he was supposed to beeline from quest objective to quest objective and somehow never quite realized that's not how this particular game works. How he managed to avoid finding any interesting things to look at or beautiful scenery is beyond me, though.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Minish Cap was a stellar game that a lot of people skipped for some reason.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

Minish Cap is basically what I would consider the most average 2D Zelda. It doesn't really innovate anything, its just competent and decent all around except for the awful Kinstone mechanic.

Like, I liked it but I doubt I'll ever replay it. Worth a single playthrough for sure though.

Also absolutely gorgeous spritework.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

Wind Waker doesn't have much exploration though, the sea is vast but 90% of it is empty with most islands being the size of a sedan and it's collectibles blocked behind an item you probably don't have. Sailing the sea is fun (once you get the faster sail) but there isn't much to find.

Of course, but at the time it felt really exciting at least to me. Like you say, most of it was just empty ocean and tiny islands but it still felt like there was a bunch of things just waiting to be discovered. Compared to something like OoT which had relatively small, easily traversable areas it felt breathtaking.

I guess I mean a "sense of exploration" more than the game actually being that expansive. Or something :v:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 13, 2017

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

His videos and website aren't ad-supported so he really has no reason to clickbait. :shrug: Attention-bait, sure, and he definitely has a habit of making his videos all about him and what's happening to him, especially lately. But I also agree with him on enough things (on other, non-Zelda subjects) that I'm not going to write him off. Like, I hate microtransactions in full-price games exactly as much as he does, even the "cosmetic-only" ones, and I find he's one of the few people out there making that argument.

Dude has a patreon that supports his videos. More hits to website = more people supporting his Patreon. It's a similar concept.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

You can always distinguish a bad review (not a negative one, a bad one) by a reviewer who stubbornly refuses to engage with what's actually going on around him. Sounds like he went into the game and thought he was supposed to beeline from quest objective to quest objective and somehow never quite realized that's not how this particular game works. How he managed to avoid finding any interesting things to look at or beautiful scenery is beyond me, though.

His review mentions the lovely sights and intriguing gameplay wrinkles but said that he won't remember any of that over the weapon degradation and stamina bar.

Like others have said, it's all of this contrasted with his effusive praise over Horizon that weirds me out.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Can I get the snow shoes back if I complete the mission for the sand shoes?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DalaranJ posted:

Can I get the snow shoes back if I complete the mission for the sand shoes?

Talk to him again, he has a followup mission.

That requires you to go back into the snow without the snow shoes.

That quest chain still has the best Link Dialogue in the game though

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ancient arrows do minimal damage in shrines. I had a major test of strength where I didn't want to ruin my sweet weapons I had been saving, so I decided to use an ancient arrow for the first time. I had heard in here that they one shot everything. So I line up and hit the guardian directly in the eye. It does a sliver of damage... I figure I must have missed? So I use stasis+ and walk directly up to the guardian and hit him in the eye with an ancient arrow point blank. Barely any damage.

Very underwhelming :(

Also as far as playing the switch on the TV compared to handheld mode, I literally notice no difference whatsoever. I have no idea what that guy is complaining about.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 13, 2017

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hating on Breath of the Wild's towers while cherishing Horizon's is probably the most critical thing about his review that makes me yell "What the gently caress!".

Again, it's hard for me to take anything away from this review as anything but going in with an axe to grind.

(The 6/10s I give no fucks about, never heard about them, have zero respect. I actually like Jim from time to time, which is why this one in particular is irritating to me.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

His review mentions the lovely sights and intriguing gameplay wrinkles but said that he won't remember any of that over the weapon degradation and stamina bar.

Like others have said, it's all of this contrasted with his effusive praise over Horizon that weirds me out.

Oh, I meant the one Your Computer mentioned, not Jim's. But I do get annoyed how Jim gives Horizon a pass on things he dings Zelda for, even when Zelda did them better.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's a bit silly that this game has 6 autosave slots but you need to use a different profile to start a new game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RCarr posted:

Ancient arrows do minimal damage in shrines. I had a major test of strength where I didn't want to ruin my sweet weapons I had been saving, so I decided to use an ancient arrow for the first time. I had heard in here that they one shot everything. So I line up and hit the guardian directly in the eye. It does a sliver of damage... I figure I must have missed? So I use stasis+ and walk directly up to the guardian and hit him in the eye with an ancient arrow point blank. Barely any damage.

Very underwhelming :(

Ancient arrows are build to gently caress up the larger Guardians crawling around the overworld. The tinier guys don't seem to be bothered by them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kirios posted:

Dude has a patreon that supports his videos. More hits to website = more people supporting his Patreon. It's a similar concept.

True, but I guess I wouldn't think negative attention would translate into Patreon bucks the way raw numbers of clicks translates into as revenue.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Breath of the Wild and LBW compete for #1 for me, as they're the two games that I'm most excited about replaying. LA and the Oracle games take up slot #2, and Wind Waker takes #3.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

True, but I guess I wouldn't think negative attention would translate into Patreon bucks the way raw numbers of clicks translates into as revenue.

Negative attention feeds people going 'lol, you stick it to those NintenDUMB fans Jim!' and pledging tbh.

Any kind of controversy will get you a groundswell of support. Especially if you're being 'victimized' for your brave true opinion that goes against the grain :goonsay:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

s.i.r.e. posted:

Which is why I love BOTW. I hate that bullshit of oh, there is this whole part of the map over here, but you need the hammer to break the huge rock to get there.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Finding the Lost Woods completely by accident while exploring was so loving cool. I love that I was able to find this mythical sword without anyone as of yet having even mentioned it, like it's actually just the most obscure legend. idk if anyone in the future comes to mention "hey maybe go into those woods" or "you need this badass sword" but I felt pretty exhilarated being able to discover this on my own.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Jimquisition is about BotW. HEEEEERE WE GO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVseQ3RDa6s

:laffo:
The picture of the guy on this video immediately tells me I don't need to listen to any of his opinions on videogames.

Zore posted:

Negative attention feeds people going 'lol, you stick it to those NintenDUMB fans Jim!' and pledging tbh.

Any kind of controversy will get you a groundswell of support. Especially if you're being 'victimized' for your brave true opinion that goes against the grain :goonsay:

Yeah, this is how any kind of media/political commentator builds a following online these days.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Finding the Lost Woods completely by accident while exploring was so loving cool. I love that I was able to find this mythical sword without anyone as of yet having even mentioned it, like it's actually just the most obscure legend. idk if anyone in the future comes to mention "hey maybe go into those woods" or "you need this badass sword" but I felt pretty exhilarated being able to discover this on my own.

NPCs will mention that you don't have it when you get going on the main quest. I found the woods, realized what was in them, then went and did other stuff figuring some NPC would tell me how to solve the puzzle later.

It didn't happen, so I went looking for clues and found them. Really fun way to go about solving the area.

comingafteryouall fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 13, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

They do, but even if you run into those people they're all talking about vague legends, get details wrong, and don't have much information. So it's more a series of clues than the game saying go here to get thing.

Plus there's the one guy wielding the Master Torch :allears:

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

MinibarMatchman posted:

There's quite a few folks who will mention the sword that seals the darkness and how it's supposedly sleeping in a forest somewhere, but I love love love that the open-ended nature of this game leads to accidental discoveries like this.

e: oh yeah, and every racial leader will say something to the effect of either "hey, aren't you supposed to have a super cool sword?" or "hey, there's that super cool sword!"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah, this is some BotW.txt

They mention it a couple of times, but from what I've seen never anything concrete. Like an npc might mention "hey didn't you use to have like a fancy legendary sword?" and Link is like.. "No idea, literally can't remember anything :shrug:"

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

comingafteryouall posted:

:laffo:
Yeah, this is how any kind of media/political commentator builds a following online these days.

Bingo. Multiple people online have cited this "But he doesn't take ads so it doesn't matter!" when it couldn't be further from the truth. It gets his name and opinions out there.

Edit: I also found the Master Sword entirely by accident. I just needed to upgrade my inventory more and he said he was waaaaay north of us, past the Zora domain so welp, gotta get those weapon slots.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Kirios posted:

Bingo. Multiple people online have cited this "But he doesn't take ads so it doesn't matter!" when it couldn't be further from the truth. It gets his name and opinions out there.

At the same time, if he did do this as a masterstroke in publicity to make money, it would have been predicated on the botw fans being utter shitbuckets and responding the way they have. And he was right.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, this is some BotW.txt

They mention it a couple of times, but from what I've seen never anything concrete. Like an npc might mention "hey didn't you use to have like a fancy legendary sword?" and Link is like.. "No idea, literally can't remember anything :shrug:"

You have Impa telling you Zelda did... something with it and some people in Kakariko are like 'hahaha, if you're Link where's the Master Sword hmm?'

Plus you have it in all the memory cutscenes with the first one you'll probably find having the Champions talk about you getting it while Zelda is knighting you.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

My favorite detail is how (spoilers for Forestlands area)

The Deku tree looks so old. He looks like he's about to melt in front of you. The Korok's hollowing him out to make an inn and shops just for the hero is awesome, too. The little guys got bored in 100 years and needed something to do!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I found the lost woods after getting on top of a buck for the first time, as if it gave me magic nature powers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The Koroks should have had a Champion and their own Divine Beast.

I'm hoping this is what the DLC dungeon is :pray:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

At the same time, if he did do this as a masterstroke in publicity to make money, it would have been predicated on the botw fans being utter shitbuckets and responding the way they have. And he was right.

No, anyone doing that was regular trolls who do that for shits and giggles. My proof: Nintendo fans don't know how to use computers.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

I actually want to know what people liked about Skyward Sword, because I dropped it pretty early--it just didn't click with me in any way at all. I've only really read/watched negative opinions on it so I'd actually really like to see the other side. I think I owe it another chance, probably.

Skyward sword is an extremely up and down experience. It feels like an ambitious project that kept getting hemmed in by limitations. The motion controls are fun for an hour, then you realize how frustrating building a whole game around them is going to be. The flying is really exhilarating sometimes, but ultimately kind of a small part of the game, and it feels more restrictive than the ocean in wind waker because the meat of the game is in the underworld. Some of the dungeons are really fun and inventive, but then you're fighting the imprisoned again, or having to retread the forest again, or there's a boring/frustrating stealth section. Then there's some amazing gimmick like the weird time crystals that let you sail in the desert on a tiny moving ocean made out of a circle of your own personal time bubble, and it gets good again.

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 13, 2017

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Zore posted:

The Koroks should have had a Champion and their own Divine Beast.

I'm hoping this is what the DLC dungeon is :pray:

DLC dungeon is an extensive network of underground tunnels used by the Korok to get to their seed locations, you think they're just going to hide under a rock waiting for someone to find them? They got poo poo to to do!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

To be fair, the Zelda fanbase is a rabid one. It's not a difficult gamble to make.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Speaking of things that usually suck in other games:

The only real "stealth section" I've run into so far was that one in the Lost Woods where you have to stalk that little Korok, and it is mercifully short. The other "stealth section" is totally optional in that you can just kick that Lynel's rear end if you're properly equipped at that point.

The escort/stealth thing in Eldin also subverts itself the second you realize you can cheese the whole course with Magnesis.

Game is good.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i'm not a particularly huge zelda fan but 6/10 is a practically indefensible score and 'i don't like this mechanic' doesn't make it bad gameplay design. even if you find it annoying, it's pretty obvious why the durability system exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

7/10's a pretty indefensible score as well, honestly.

The stealth section in the Korok Forest blew pretty hard, I guess. I didn't even know the Lynel was an optional boss..I just went in guns blazing and died 8-10 times before finally downing him. After that, I went through all the trees and scrounged them up and realized that was optional, but gently caress it, Lynel's gotta die.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 13, 2017