Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

vyelkin posted:

The Return of the Emperor

The Emperor Strikes Back. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Uhh, "Bonaparte Born Apart"?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've been trying to think of a neat nation to play as while we wait for the next expansion, but it just seems to sweet at this point I think I have to wait :\

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what do you mean you can't dismantle the hre after it becomes hereditary

i need to conquer holland and portugal, who lives in africa, emperor of an electorateless hre, is going to drag the ottomans into the fight aaaaaaaa

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've been trying to think of a neat nation to play as while we wait for the next expansion, but it just seems to sweet at this point I think I have to wait :\
gently caress Manipur is hard to get off of the ground.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you fully annex a nation, then immediately release them as a vassal, does that avoid the "They force-vassalized us" opinion malus?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

If you fully annex a nation, then immediately release them as a vassal, does that avoid the "They force-vassalized us" opinion malus?

Yes, the price you pay is that it costs more AE (force vassalizing is 66% of the normal AE amount) and they also get all of their previously-owned cores, including any cores that you happened to have prior to working out the peace deal

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

Uhh, "Bonaparte Born Apart"?

Second Hundred Days.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

gently caress Buddhism and gently caress South East Asia. That game was probably the least fun, and the angriest I've ever gotten at this game, there was just nothing fun about it.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

QuarkJets posted:

Yes, the price you pay is that it costs more AE (force vassalizing is 66% of the normal AE amount) and they also get all of their previously-owned cores, including any cores that you happened to have prior to working out the peace deal

The latter kills the deal for me.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

YouTuber posted:

Whats the recommended way to do a Milan or Florence into Italy run in the early game? Just sit around doing gently caress all until Shadow Kingdom then go apeshit? Dealing with the Emperor as a threat for any and all options of expansion is a pain and the Papal States tends to buddy up with France pretty quickly.

No CB Granada, ally France, gently caress up Iberia and become a colonizer. Granada's allies will have a bigger navy so make sure you get military access first. Bonus points if Castile has the reconquista mission and wardecs you before you go after them, France will help you gently caress them up for free. If you have the opportunity, getting Tlemencen as a vassal gives you some options in North Africa.

One thing I catch myself doing more and more lately is attacking someone right after they peace out and eat a lot of territory, occupy + white peace and watch them burn.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Release date announced, April 6th

...which is the exact same day as the Stellaris expansion. huh.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

Release date announced, April 6th

...which is the exact same day as the Stellaris expansion. huh.
Separate game separate team? I dont want to wait almost a month to play the expansion waaaaaag.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I'm gonna go for the Ideas Guy achievement, but I really don't like playing as pure colonizers. What's a good spot to start in that focuses on military expansion?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Yea, April is getting expensive real quick. Stellaris expansion, EU4 expansion, Dawn of War 3. I'm going to have to get a second job.

Also I need to finish my cheezed Austria run soon so I can get the WC achievement before the expansion hits. They might make my save incompatible. I have 50 vassals and it's only around 1500 so it won't be difficult. Yes, I did take advantage of the Imperial Authority bug.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Linnaeus posted:

I'm gonna go for the Ideas Guy achievement, but I really don't like playing as pure colonizers. What's a good spot to start in that focuses on military expansion?

Africa, maybe? Plenty of garbage 1/1/1 provinces so you can choose however many enemies nearby you feel comfortable with as well as how soon you'll have to deal with European colonizers showing up to ruin your day.

You could also try some of the land in Northern Asia/east of Muscovy if you wanted to see how long it takes a horde to eat you.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

deathbagel posted:

Yea, April is getting expensive real quick. Stellaris expansion, EU4 expansion, Dawn of War 3. I'm going to have to get a second job.

Also I need to finish my cheezed Austria run soon so I can get the WC achievement before the expansion hits. They might make my save incompatible. I have 50 vassals and it's only around 1500 so it won't be difficult. Yes, I did take advantage of the Imperial Authority bug.

You can always roll back to a previous patch through the Steam beta settings. That will allow you to finish your game and get the achievement.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

MrBling posted:

You can always roll back to a previous patch through the Steam beta settings. That will allow you to finish your game and get the achievement.

Yea, but I figure I should just do it. It's almost a month until the expansion and it won't take that long. Just let the vassal swarm consume all that's in it's path.

Linnaeus posted:

I plan on doing it along with For Odin by starting in the 1/1/1 province next to Tidore and Ternate on New Ginea. I'll conquer the whole area while island hopping settlers over to NA/SA. I plan on releasing and subsidizing a bunch of colonizing OPM vassals and letting them supplement my own colonizing so I can focus on NA/SA while they eat up Indonesia for me (Ternate, Tidore, Kedah, Pattani, Sulu and maybe Brunei since I gave myself +2 relations) Then I'll work my way across NA and get ready for the assault on GB/Scandinavia.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

deathbagel posted:

I plan on doing it along with For Odin by starting in the 1/1/1 province next to Tidore and Ternate on New Ginea. I'll conquer the whole area while island hopping settlers over to NA/SA. I plan on releasing and subsidizing a bunch of colonizing OPM vassals and letting them supplement my own colonizing so I can focus on NA/SA while they eat up Indonesia for me (Ternate, Tidore, Kedah, Pattani, Sulu and maybe Brunei since I gave myself +2 relations) Then I'll work my way across NA and get ready for the assault on GB/Scandinavia.
drat thats a really good idea.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

deathbagel posted:

50 vassals? How the heck does that work? Wouldn't you have problems with diplomatic relations and liberty desire?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

redleader posted:

50 vassals? How the heck does that work? Wouldn't you have problems with diplomatic relations and liberty desire?

When you pass one of the last imperial reforms in the hre, everyone that votes for it becomes your vassal and doesn't count against your Diplo cap. Yes it's overpowered.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Tsyni posted:

When you pass one of the last imperial reforms in the hre, everyone that votes for it becomes your vassal and doesn't count against your Diplo cap. Yes it's overpowered.

In this case they're doing this by 1500 is because there's an exploit that lets you gain extra Imperial Authority every time you add provinces to the empire. But yeah, even if in a normal HRE run you become hilariously overpowered the moment you revoke the privilegia, so a WC is definitely attainable. You just feed your endless vassals all the land and eventually use the last reform to annex them all for free.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Will this change in the new patch, as far as we know?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The HRE vassals thing is a feature. The exploit though, yeah probably.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Elman posted:

In this case they're doing this by 1500 is because there's an exploit that lets you gain extra Imperial Authority every time you add provinces to the empire. But yeah, even if in a normal HRE run you become hilariously overpowered the moment you revoke the privilegia, so a WC is definitely attainable. You just feed your endless vassals all the land and eventually use the last reform to annex them all for free.

Koramei posted:

The HRE vassals thing is a feature. The exploit though, yeah probably.

Yea, I'm guessing they will, which is why I went ahead and did it now. They might not fix the Great Britain - France - Great Britain bug where you switch back and forth over and over and re-add all the provinces that are removed each time you do though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q53eSynvRmE

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Just FYI I did not exploit that bug in my recent world conquest/converting the world achievement run. Not that bug...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
so i'm getting back into this after a few years of not playing, trying to learn the ropes as portugal. is it better to colonize or focus on pulling trade around africa?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

so i'm getting back into this after a few years of not playing, trying to learn the ropes as portugal. is it better to colonize or focus on pulling trade around africa?

should be able to do both? Remember that you don't need a completed colony next to someone to fabricate claims, just a started colony. Start a colony in west africa, get some claims, get your war on, and while that's happening you can also be nabbing the carribean

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When you get your first colonist, you get to pick from one of three policies. One of them completely stops native uprisings from happening, and is useful if you're colonizing all over the place and don't want to devote stacks of troops and small transport fleets to ferry your garrison around. You can then focus on warfare while letting your colonization efforts happen passively

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
The +settlers policy is really strong for European powers early in the game when colonies grow incredibly slowly. Once you start to have multiple colonies and +settlers bonuses from ideas and diplo tech I would recommend switching to the 'no uprisings' policy when you can afford the stability hit. For non-Euro colonizers it's a little more situational, if you are a smaller nation colonizing areas with large numbers of high-aggression natives you probably can't afford the manpower to fight natives and you might even lose to them.

Also don't forget your estates, you can get more settlers from your priests and your merchants.

Jamsque fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 14, 2017

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I dunno, I think they want through.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Liking the new shade of blue that France has

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is... is that Livonian Moldavia?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Here's the 1778 version with lovely name placement/borders.

Shout outs go to Austrian Scandinavia, TO surviving long enough to form Prussia, and Wu appearing in my great powers list again.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is... is that Livonian Moldavia?

Integrated Moldavia after a personal union.

Also they're Orthodox :v:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jamsque posted:

The +settlers policy is really strong for European powers early in the game when colonies grow incredibly slowly. Once you start to have multiple colonies and +settlers bonuses from ideas and diplo tech I would recommend switching to the 'no uprisings' policy when you can afford the stability hit. For non-Euro colonizers it's a little more situational, if you are a smaller nation colonizing areas with large numbers of high-aggression natives you probably can't afford the manpower to fight natives and you might even lose to them.

Also don't forget your estates, you can get more settlers from your priests and your merchants.

On the other hand, -100% native uprisings means that your troops will never be attacked by natives while exploring or walking around through uncolonized territory. It's incredibly helpful for exploring the new world without getting attacked all the time.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The +settlers policy is also pretty good if you're Pueblo, want to colonize, and are surrounded by lovely arid land that you don't get any colonizers on if you don't take the policy.

AMA about my bizarre fascination with playing Pueblo

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Linnaeus posted:

I like a Tibet start, although any Asia start you'll have to resist the siren song of the Philippines and Indonesia. :v:

You have plenty of lovely neighbors to pummel and Bengal-Ming-etc are rarely especially enthusiastic about heading into the Himalayas, so you can usually pick your battles.

If you feel cheeky you can even go for early sea access in northern Indochina, although that does risk Ayut/Bengal attention.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 14, 2017

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

-100% natives means genocide. Don't do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

If you're not genociding your way across the globe you're playing eu4 wrong

• Locked thread