Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just started Route C and what. :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Artelier posted:

Just started Route C and what. :psyboom:

the real nier: automata starts here.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I beat those golden bots. Still on Route A. The little one got pissed when I killed the big one first and vowed revenge. After they both were done, 9S says, "what was that all about?" And 2B just replies, "Who cares, the enemy has been destroyed." This which 9S replies, "Yeah... right."

I got a core for my troubles and was actually able to talk to the wandering couple NPC and finish the quest before it deactivates when you fight the ocean leviathan and I got to fish out the third pod and complete my set. :woot:

Yes it was a grindy fight... I did the same for Father Servo though I haven't done his final (I think?) Form because holy poo poo it's level 50 and he's goddamn enormous and will probably poo poo bullets and do slam waves everywhere like those things always do.

I'm probably being too completionist for an A run through but it was the same for Nier and I think it's how Taro intends them to be played since I'm noticing a theme with all the side quests (do they change in future runs?) that meshes with the usual bait and switch feel of a first run. Nier was like that, where by run B or C some of the side quests just felt off because by then you knew better about what was happening with the story.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 13, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Where are you supposed to stop Emil so he sells weapons and/or materials? All he sells when I stop him are plug in chips

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

By the resistance camp when he's moving extra fast

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

okay thats good, i'm at the end here and have something like 98% of the quests done and most of the weapons finished, i figured i'd wrap those and the hidden bosses up before doing that.

chapter select and debug mode are a god send thank based Taro

edit: also any word on what those hidden elevators are for? dlc i'm guessing?

Recent interview with the main man himself said he can't talk about those doors because Square-Enix said so but the only thing in there is poop just like his story. dlc hook basically, but they've started talking about it at least.

Lakbay posted:

Where are you supposed to stop Emil so he sells weapons and/or materials? All he sells when I stop him are plug in chips
Near the camp when he's going sonic fast but still seems random in regards to whether you'll get that or chips at +6.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
No-content posting but when I recognised the music cues that started playing in the big fish boss I marked the gently caress out.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Pierson posted:

No-content posting but when I recognised the music cues that started playing in the big fish boss I marked the gently caress out.

same, also for when Kaine Escape plays after the second boss.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Near the camp when he's going sonic fast but still seems random in regards to whether you'll get that or chips at +6.

I've stopped him there 3 times and all he's sold me are the +6 chips

Maybe I'll just youtube the all weapons upgraded thingy I've heard about

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lakbay posted:

I've stopped him there 3 times and all he's sold me are the +6 chips

Maybe I'll just youtube the all weapons upgraded thingy I've heard about

Yeah, he's like that.

It's worth persevering though, you'll get it sooner or later.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

The secret boss, (padding) Emil (padding) , is giving me a lot of trouble. Any advice for chip setups? Do hacking chips help on the dude? Should I just powergrind to max level somehow?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
When can I open those weird locked chests?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Got this game on Friday for my PS4 and went all out on it yesterday. Finished Ending A with two goofy endings on the way at around level 28. Most of my weapons are at level 3 and I got all three pods. Yay? No idea what the gently caress is going on still but I'm hyped to get back into it when I get home from work.

Quest Question: The Confidential Chips you get sent out to retrieve for the Resistance guy in the city ruins. I got the chips but after getting the alert from YoRha, I refused to give him the chips. Did I affect anything or did I just gently caress myself out of a quest reward??

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Monolith. posted:

When can I open those weird locked chests?

Locked chests and doors can be opened starting in Route B.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Trick Question posted:

The secret boss, (padding) Emil (padding) , is giving me a lot of trouble. Any advice for chip setups? Do hacking chips help on the dude? Should I just powergrind to max level somehow?

Max level will be the determining factor, it's not at all difficult to get level 99 if you make a chipset of exp ups and then hack the big bunny as 9S at the amusement park. (Remote control a bot and kill everything around it, easiest done on a route B chapter) Outside of that, I'd recommend an ranged damage down +8 (buy 4 +6's from Emil, fuse them in the ravine at the chip vendor there) and then rely on R2 dodges for his physical strikes. Slap a couple of Overclocks in there for witch time and some attack up and you ought to be able to beat him. The second Emil fight doesn't have physical attacks at all IIRC?

I'd be surprised if the ranged attacks hurt you at all with a +8 defense chip on Normal or lower

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

also i'm glad that yoko taro continues his tradition of filling the intro movie with spoilers.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

RanKizama posted:

Quest Question: The Confidential Chips you get sent out to retrieve for the Resistance guy in the city ruins. I got the chips but after getting the alert from YoRha, I refused to give him the chips. Did I affect anything or did I just gently caress myself out of a quest reward??

You can go back and give it to him, it's one of those "but thou must!" dialogues.

Resolution of that quest question What exactly happened in the ending letter given by Anemone? I took it to mean that somebody (probably the guy who originally stole the chips) killed the guy, and then the fake-son killed him. I'm seeing other people say that fake-son went crazy and killed him.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Hackan Slash posted:

You can go back and give it to him, it's one of those "but thou must!" dialogues.
Good deal. Thanks. Not reading that spoiler because I have no idea WTF is going on. Just finished route A and I am hella confused still.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hackan Slash posted:

Resolution of that quest question What exactly happened in the ending letter given by Anemone? I took it to mean that somebody (probably the guy who originally stole the chips) killed the guy, and then the fake-son killed him. I'm seeing other people say that fake-son went crazy and killed him.

Only safe if you've finished the entire game.

The letter says machines killed them, but given the facts of YoRHa, it's more likely that a squad of E-Type YoRHa androids went and slaughtered that dude and his S-Type son to protect YoRHa secrets. If you recall, 2B goes real quiet when you speak to him like she knows they're done for, but she can't do anything about it.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I guess I have an unpopular opinion, because I thought combat using 9s, even if ( especially if) you didn't use hacking, was great. His small sword move set feels great and it seems like he's got some of the best counter-attacks in the games - which is important since you're always dodging in automata. 2B and A2 tend to knock enemies super far away in their counters (or in the case of 2B's sword counter, launch herself into the air for no reason while the enemy remains stapled to the ground). People complain about him only having one button, but he still has light and heavy attacks (though admittedly the input for heavy attacks is kinda weird) as well as charge moves and dash attacks. Really, my main issue with 9s was that the game kept trying to get me to hack when I just wanted to hit things with him

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Zinkraptor posted:

I guess I have an unpopular opinion, because I thought combat using 9s, even if ( especially if) you didn't use hacking, was great. His small sword move set feels great and it seems like he's got some of the best counter-attacks in the games - which is important since you're always dodging in automata. 2B and A2 tend to knock enemies super far away in their counters (or in the case of 2B's sword counter, launch herself into the air for no reason while the enemy remains stapled to the ground). People complain about him only having one button, but he still has light and heavy attacks (though admittedly the input for heavy attacks is kinda weird) as well as charge moves and dash attacks. Really, my main issue with 9s was that the game kept trying to get me to hack when I just wanted to hit things with him

Even more unpopular opinion alert, I didn't think any of the combat was good. Too much came down to mashing R2, especially once you started getting overclock chips. I'm a filthy casual who played on normal, but I can't see how the lackluster changes for hard mode would have made things more fun

Also, not having easy access to attacks that don't move you forward was a real pain against anything electric.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hackan Slash posted:

Even more unpopular opinion alert, I didn't think any of the combat was good. Too much came down to mashing R2, especially once you started getting overclock chips. I'm a filthy casual who played on normal, but I can't see how the lackluster changes for hard mode would have made things more fun

Also, not having easy access to attacks that don't move you forward was a real pain against anything electric.

In the end, Hard is the same as Normal but you have to use your chips to build your character for the situation you're in (Do it by having them pre-set rather than going in each time changing each and every chip) and the risk factor is amplified and so is the reward if you count beating difficult scenarios a reward. The thing about the combat in this game is that it gives you a lot of different things to do for flash and substance, and the fun in it is that you can do it for the fun of doing it, not that you *need* to. (Which is no less true of Souls or Bloodborne, for all of the acclaim those games rightly get for being great Action RPGs).

If you play hard mode like King Coward, like some certain unnamed streamers I've seen, and just sit back with podfire and let your AI partner do all the work, it's dogshit tedium, but that's also on you because there's literally no reason to do that.

I used to think Hard was poorly balanced but I'm coming back around on the idea and that it's alright. Nothing exemplary, nothing dreadful. Just that with the game not telling you to use chips at all, there's no moment where it says "you are going to die a lot if you don't do this on Hard".

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Zinkraptor posted:

I played on Easy because I hated the pod shooter aspect and 9S doesn't "hold" his weapons so it felt floaty during battles. Also the heavy attack is useful for shield enemies. Also I hoped we'd just play through Route C with A2 but sadly I'm disappointed with the POV switching/hacking elements.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Just finished Route A, what a loving game. Probably my favourite out of March's 3 big open world robocalypse games, which is saying something.

Do I need to do anything differently to get ending B or is it just a second playthrough on any difficulty etc?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

just load your save game.

edit: also in regards to the games difficulty, i think normal is fine as is. normal mode is balanced with the intention that this is for people who don't play action games, and easier for thatreason. also, in an even more unpopular opinion, i liked hacking a lot, but i've played a lot of twin stick shooters.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 13, 2017

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Sweet, I'll probably hit that up tomorrow.

Mah gawd the music was so good, turned a playstation 2 quality environment into a place I'll remember. Those desert tunes.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I got my Shirt. I love my shirt.

Also,everyone not wearing a lunar tear on 2B is a monster.

Uh, excuse me, I think you mean the little blue bow.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 13, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

Logic Virus detected. Recommend destruction of affected Unit.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm playing through again on hard and it's been alright, start of C and I've only died a few times. Equip hp+ chips, do sidequests for exp and good rewards, use the super cheap buff items that fully halve the damage you receive, and for fucks sake recover your body when you do die. It's totally fine if you're taking advantage of everything the game gives you, only turning into a one shot shitshow when you try and half-rear end it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

lets hang out posted:

It's totally fine if you're taking advantage of everything the game gives you, only turning into a one shot shitshow when you try and half-rear end it.

Yep.

Also, and I might be repeating something in the thread because I'm not sure where I first saw this, there's a dude doing streams/videos of Very Hard without Pod Fire, Chips and I believe weapon upgrades. Last I saw, he was at the end of Route A. That level of masochism is where I draw a line.

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013
Neat unique completionist reward I haven't seen anybody anywhere talk about yet (post-ending A spoilers):

After you've unlocked all 48 hacking games, beating them all in one go in the arcade challenge mode nets you a +7 version of each of the four hacking chips with a -1 cost each. They're kinda buggy and feel like something someone put in and forgot to test. They still take up a single space (though they appear on the menu graphic as invisible) and can be stacked on top of each other, but it won't let you place a regular chip over them so they're not completely free. Still, neat if you like the hacking chips and are pressed for space, since it lets you use all four of them at almost max level for only 1 chip capacity.

Anybody managed 100% fishing completion yet? Haven't been able to get any higher than 85%. The basking shark's image in the intel menu is cuter than it has any right to be.

Trick Question posted:

If you want to fight him in the lamest way possible, he only has ranged attacks (as far as I'm aware). so with all three pods set to the ranged defence program and a couple cooldown chips, you can completely nullify every one of his attacks by swapping from one pod to another and using the uncharged version of the program. By the time the effect ends on the third pod, the first one's cooldown will have just finished. Only way I was able to beat him on very hard.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The fact that you can't lock on in Hard Mode is bullshit and is the only reason I didn't play on it tbh

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

honestly i never really used the lockon. the camera with lock on is pretty janky, and there are only a few times where it is actually useful imo.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Its just added DPS with the Pod.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I played on Easy so that the Pod would fire itself, but it sucks because you can't lock onto animals

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Have a hard time seeing what enemies are doing when I'm spraying them with bullets anyway

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

alcharagia posted:

The fact that you can't lock on in Hard Mode is bullshit and is the only reason I didn't play on it tbh

It's only an issue when fighting those snake like fuckers, when trying to hack from a distance (I prefer to melee so this one is less of an issue for me) and when trying to be cool with Wire pod program.

I'd recommend turning your combat camera all the way out though on Hard mode.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

nopantsjack posted:

You can wear stuff!??

...i think i must have realized that awhile back when i found the Pod skins but i totally forgot about it after.

I'm still on route A, and I'm annoyed I'm stuck at work and not playing this game.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Both bows and the flower are great...

On 9S :3:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey so I'm doing another run through already as I kinda missed a LOT of sidequests. In a attempt to do them all I noticed a couple markers far below the factory. (Route A Spoilers) I know the become as gods cult thing has you down there but like, this showed up after the amusement park. Is that a actual quest or is it just the save point down there?

Also Route B-C question after finishing Route A I never saw a dead android again so I couldn't revive or restore and just had to do everything myself which is fine, but I'm kinda curious if I was supposed to be able to see others during those two paths or if that mechanic was Route A only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Question about the chapter 3 character
with a2 you can hold dash and she glows red for a second. I feel like I should be able to do a move or something with that but if you can I can't figure it out.

*ed*

Of course I figure it out right after I post, I was hitting buttons too early.

*double ed*

Or maybe not, I was using weapon set im not used to they just seem like basic attacks, I duno :shrug:

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 13, 2017