Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Modest Mao posted:

Is that just a thing? Chinese people don't eat food made by whitey? very weird stuff

It really varies person to person. My inlaws were so excited to try everything they saw, and literally the only thing they didn't partake of was a medium-rare steak. On the other side of things I knew an American in Korea who literally never ate anything that wasn't made in the US or came out of a US owned fast food restaurant. When he arrived at the school and the teaching staff took him out for lunch he just sat there and autistically said he can't eat anything there. They asked him if he was a vegetarian or had any allergies, and he just said he can't eat any of that food. After the awkward lunch he walked across the road to a Pizza Hut. The Korean teachers asked if he was having culture shock, but I just explained that he was most likely weird.

A week later I tried to take him out to a really good Samgyeopsal restaurant, but he just froze at the door, and said he wanted to go to McDonalds or Subway.

:v: why don't you want to go in?
:spergin: I don't like Korean food.
:v: Oh, you don't like Samgyeopsal? We could go for . . . (5 different options)
:spergin: No, I don't like Korean food.
:v: Oh, you were here before? What food do you like?
:spergin: American food.
:v: No, what Korean food do you like? Any?
:spergin: I don't like any of it, I hate all of it.
:v: Wait! You have tried and hated all Korean food?
:spergin: I've never tried Korean food!
:v: How do you know you hate it?
:spergin: Because it all tastes horrible...
:v: . . . . . . . . . . . . You're a loving idiot.

For the next 6 months he LITERALLY only ate stuff he got out of cans in Costco (he travelled hours to go to the nearest costco, and wouldn't even set foot in an eMart where he could have gotten at least 3/4 of the stuff he was looking for), or from western Fast-Food Restaurants. I never interacted with him again, but the Korean teachers told me that all he ever did was complain about Korea, and never left his apartment except to go grocery shopping or eat out.

Then again, he didn't arrive in Korea with a steamer trunk full of Instant Noodles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Thanks to this thread I was starving and forced to eat some old instant noodles.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

Thanks to this thread I was starving and forced to eat some old instant noodles.

Not eating some grechka instead, shameful.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Jeoh posted:

queues are for manchu

:drat:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cripplingly picky eaters are the worst god drat people. That dude sounded like mental illness levels of picky eating.
Chinese definately are pickier or at least more "nationalist" eaters though. People make fun of brits abroad seeking out "english food" wherever they can but it seems even more extreme with chinese tourists. I live in a very touristy city with a huge variety of restaurants and tourists from just about anywhere in the world will be found in them. But all the chinese groups (and it's always groups) all get bussed to one of a few mediocre large chinese restaurants to be fed, never daring to eat anything else.

Also food is so international now you can get so many different takes on different cuisines around the world. I got hooked on Indonesian food in Prague and had some of the best sushi I've ever had at a fish market in suburban Kiev. You don't even have to like the "local" food!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 13, 2017

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Blistex posted:

It really varies person to person. My inlaws were so excited to try everything they saw, and literally the only thing they didn't partake of was a medium-rare steak. On the other side of things I knew an American in Korea who literally never ate anything that wasn't made in the US or came out of a US owned fast food restaurant. When he arrived at the school and the teaching staff took him out for lunch he just sat there and autistically said he can't eat anything there. They asked him if he was a vegetarian or had any allergies, and he just said he can't eat any of that food. After the awkward lunch he walked across the road to a Pizza Hut. The Korean teachers asked if he was having culture shock, but I just explained that he was most likely weird.

A week later I tried to take him out to a really good Samgyeopsal restaurant, but he just froze at the door, and said he wanted to go to McDonalds or Subway.

For the next 6 months he LITERALLY only ate stuff he got out of cans in Costco (he travelled hours to go to the nearest costco, and wouldn't even set foot in an eMart where he could have gotten at least 3/4 of the stuff he was looking for), or from western Fast-Food Restaurants. I never interacted with him again, but the Korean teachers told me that all he ever did was complain about Korea, and never left his apartment except to go grocery shopping or eat out.

Then again, he didn't arrive in Korea with a steamer trunk full of Instant Noodles.

I knew a couple people in Thailand of all places who were like this, didn't like Thai food and only ate fast food or from Western places.

:psyduck: why :psyduck:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

I knew a couple people in Thailand of all places who were like this, didn't like Thai food and only ate fast food or from Western places.

:psyduck: why :psyduck:

vanguard colonizers obviously.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

basic hitler posted:

But be ready to knock people around if you go to a deli or find yourself in any situation where you're expected to form a line in the US/UK
The person who told you this has never been to Germany. We invented queuing (5000 years ago). Not waiting your turn can easily lead to violence here.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The rudest general "sidewalk and transit culture" I've ever encountered is in Vancouver. SE Asia and everywhere I've seen in europe has been fine/great. Keep right on escalators, follow some general rules about getting on/off elevators or metro trains, don't budge in line, don't entirely block the sidewalk if you and your friends are walking 0.5kph. Basic poo poo that indicates at least some level of spacial awareness and public behavior . Even small towns in Central europe or Ukraine were fine. Vancouver is horrible for all those things though. Its the only place I regularly see metro train doors open and people wanting to get on are already standing there blocking the doors and trying to push through people getting off. It's the only "big city" where "keep right when standing" on escalators is totally not a thing. It's the only place people will brazenly push you aside to get ahead of you in a line.

And this isn't some "heh, vancouver = chinese" dog whistle, it's everyone in that loving city. It's like mainland chinese public behavior norms have just spread to everyone. "They don't queue so why should I???" in some awful race to the bottom.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
In college, I had a mainland Chinese roommate. He exhibited the picky eater trait too. We went to a diner for breakfast once and I ordered chicken-fried steak with eggs over medium, which came with biscuits and gravy. Rather than evaluate the menu, he just told the waitress, "Me too." When the food arrived, he poked an egg with his fork and watched in horror as the liquid yolk drained out.

He said, "I don't think they cooked this."

I told him that's what "eggs over easy/medium" means. He frowned at the meal in disgust, unwilling to put any of it in his mouth. He begged to be taken to a Chinese restaurant.

So we go to one, a really lovely Americanized fake Chinese food place. I asked him, "Is any of this like what you eat back home?"

He said, "Not at all." And yet he loved it since it was labeled Chinese food.

I always figured he was on the autistic spectrum and really immature. This thread has opened my eyes to how culturally ingrained some of these behaviors are.

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out

Blistex posted:

White trash.

E: Should have slapped him in the face and left him to walk his worthless rear end to the closest McDonalds.

Nahrix fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 14, 2017

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Escape Addict posted:

In college, I had a mainland Chinese roommate. He exhibited the picky eater trait too. We went to a diner for breakfast once and I ordered chicken-fried steak with eggs over medium, which came with biscuits and gravy. Rather than evaluate the menu, he just told the waitress, "Me too." When the food arrived, he poked an egg with his fork and watched in horror as the liquid yolk drained out.

He said, "I don't think they cooked this."

I told him that's what "eggs over easy/medium" means. He frowned at the meal in disgust, unwilling to put any of it in his mouth. He begged to be taken to a Chinese restaurant.

So we go to one, a really lovely Americanized fake Chinese food place. I asked him, "Is any of this like what you eat back home?"

He said, "Not at all." And yet he loved it since it was labeled Chinese food.

I always figured he was on the autistic spectrum and really immature. This thread has opened my eyes to how culturally ingrained some of these behaviors are.

My fiance also has a problem with runny eggs. She also has problems eating meat that is too rare or too seared.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Blistex posted:

I never interacted with him again, but the Korean teachers told me that all he ever did was complain about Korea, and never left his apartment except to go grocery shopping or eat out.

I really want to know his logic as to why he went to Korea in the first place. Then again I guess that's why people travel to NYC then promptly book a table at the TGI Fridays in Time Square.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Huge lol at "Runny egg yolk!? Eewwwww" *chows down on a pile of tripe*

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

kimcicle posted:

I really want to know his logic as to why he went to Korea in the first place. Then again I guess that's why people travel to NYC then promptly book a table at the TGI Fridays in Time Square.

Everything else near times square sucks too and is even more overpriced.

The answer is to not go to Times Square but tourists gonna tourist.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

GoutPatrol posted:

My fiance also has a problem with runny eggs. She also has problems eating meat that is too rare or too seared.

I knew shitloads of people in korea who refused to eat any korean food, which, tbh, can smell kinda weird if you were raised on white bread and mayo for your whole life. why were they even in korea? Most were young and just doing a gap year where they could get paid for being white in front of some kids. some were actually married to koreans and had kids themselves, they were just dipshits..
but, eggs are gross and I personally never eat them

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Runny eggs are gross. But lol at going someplace and not trying any of the local food.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

kimcicle posted:

He did one of those ESL qualification courses for $1400 and flew over to Korea. I don't know if it was already set in stone, or if it happened in the hour's ride to the school from the airport, but the ignorant gently caress had already made up his mind that he didn't like Korea, or anyone or anything in it that wasn't an American eatery/grocery store.

Nahrix posted:

White trash.

E: Should have slapped him in the face and left him to walk his worthless rear end to the closest McDonalds.

I was very close to doing just that, but then decided that completely avoiding him would be easier (actually super easy since he was essentially under self-imposed house arrest). On a few occasions the Pepper Peeker girls would relate to me incredibly blunt/rude things he would do or say, and it just made my skin crawl. By the end of the first month nobody was talking to him and even the students left him alone.

ladron posted:

I knew shitloads of people in korea who refused to eat any korean food, which, tbh, can smell kinda weird if you were raised on white bread and mayo for your whole life.

The guy was from a podunk town in Kansas that I have long since forgotten the name of. I was looking at his file and when I checked out his home town in google earth I could see a single intersection, about 20 mobile homes scattered around it, a gas station, and a ball diamond with seating for ~30. There wasn't anything else for about 60km in any direction. I don't think he was actually autistic, I think that the Korean teacher was right and he actually had a massive case of culture shock and his brain shut down once he discovered that things are different once you get out of "literally nothing to do USA" (hell, he might have ended up super-bitter on the bus ride to the Airport in the US). The fact that things were not English and American broke him. He never visited a square cm of Korea that he didn't have to. He'd hop on the subway, go directly to the Costco in Seoul, and then go back to Dongducheon. He never veered from that path, and it was the same when he would go to a fast food place. When he headed back after only 6 months of his year long contract, the school actually paid for his ticket as they wanted him out asap because he was just a sheer ball of negativity.

Edit: Almost forgot! When he showed up to the school there was the customary "introduce him to the staff" function in the staff room. When he was handed the school swag set (bath and hand towels, coffee cup, digital alarm clock, and pen set) all with the school's name and crest on it, he just left them on his desk in the main office, and the only time they moved (for the entire six months) was when the custodian picked them up to dust his desk. They were still there the day he left for home.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 14, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jeoh posted:

there's actually a ton of different ways to cut meat and veggies in chinese cooking?

But no one ever does them at home.

I never knew a (foreign) picky eater in Korea but I would see posts on Korea job forums. One person posted like "I don't eat rice, pork, fish, or anything with soy, what can I eat in Korea?" and everyone was just like "lol you're literally going to starve to death"

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Blistex posted:

Weird coworker stuff

Working in ESL in Japan I have not encountered anything that bad personally but I can believe it. ESL companies often hire people fresh out of college sometimes without ever having had a job let alone lived in a foreign country. Plenty of people get hired who just cannot handle it and quit after a month or two. It seems like you would eventually be able to guess with some accuracy as to who would make a good employee in that situation but these kids keep getting hired.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Blistex posted:

Edit: Almost forgot! When he showed up to the school there was the customary "introduce him to the staff" function in the staff room. When he was handed the school swag set (bath and hand towels, coffee cup, digital alarm clock, and pen set) all with the school's name and crest on it, he just left them on his desk in the main office, and the only time they moved (for the entire six months) was when the custodian picked them up to dust his desk. They were still there the day he left for home.

This is an amazing visual and needs to be part of a voiceover montage at the midpoint of a coming of age movie starring Logan Lerman, preferable with a parting shot of the empty baseball diamond.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
edit: wrong thread

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 14, 2017

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Modest Mao posted:

Maybe it's weird for one dude to make all the dishes idk but the women will insist to help me even when I know this will happen and then it always happens and it's like You Didn't Really Help Me At All And Now You're Going To Say Western Food Just Isn't As Advanced As Chinese
lmao, owned by more sophisticated culture with beautiful history

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Dr.Radical posted:

Huge lol at "Runny egg yolk!? Eewwwww" *chows down on a pile of tripe*

as a chinese, i only eat eggs that meet one of the following criteria:
-soaked in child urine
-contains a chicken fetus
-is a century egg and has been preserved so that the yolk is green and tastes like ammonia and salt

runny eggs from the west are just disgusting

oh have you tried the japanese/korean food where you break a raw egg into it? so delicious!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

LentThem posted:

oh have you tried the japanese/korean food where you break a raw egg into it? so delicious!

Dunno, in my experience this one also elicits disgust from a chinese audience.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Ceciltron posted:

Dunno, in my experience this one also elicits disgust from a chinese audience.

i am pleased that this is the only questionable part of my post :smugdon:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Blistex posted:

Pepper Peeker girls

I prefer "Pepper Peeper"

Blistex posted:

He'd hop on the subway, go directly to the Costco in Seoul, and then go back to Dongducheon.

tbf costco in korea is an amazing oasis that's like a purgatory of awesome food and people passive aggressively running into with their carts

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

LentThem posted:

i am pleased that this is the only questionable part of my post :smugdon:

I do not enjoy the century old piss egg.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Century eggs are loving delicious, though.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
When my roommate did eat eggs, he would crack them into a bowl, stir them up as if to make scrambled eggs, then he would pour in a bunch of cooking oil, like canola or vegetable oil. Then he'd heat this bowl in the microwave until it had solidified into a greasy, splattery mess. He seemed to need to add oil to stuff. Like it had to be steatorrhea-inducing or it wasn't a proper meal.

He would also chew on fish oil supplements like they were candy. I told him you were supposed to swallow those whole, but he didn't believe me. He insisted his way was the proper way. I showed him the label which advertised an "enteric coating designed to dissolve in the intestines." He didn't want to admit he made a mistake, so he doubled down instead and said his fish oil pills were more delicious than mine.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ladron posted:

tbf costco in korea is an amazing oasis that's like a purgatory of awesome food and people passive aggressively running into with their carts

<50 Korean grannies start to use their elbows, yelling and pushing each other to be the first to try a sample of fried Spam. . . something that is sold in literally every corner store and grocery in the country>

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Ceciltron posted:

I do not enjoy the century old piss egg.

That's no way to talk about your mother, young man.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Escape Addict posted:

When my roommate did eat eggs, he would crack them into a bowl, stir them up as if to make scrambled eggs, then he would pour in a bunch of cooking oil, like canola or vegetable oil. Then he'd heat this bowl in the microwave until it had solidified into a greasy, splattery mess. He seemed to need to add oil to stuff. Like it had to be steatorrhea-inducing or it wasn't a proper meal.

He would also chew on fish oil supplements like they were candy. I told him you were supposed to swallow those whole, but he didn't believe me. He insisted his way was the proper way. I showed him the label which advertised an "enteric coating designed to dissolve in the intestines." He didn't want to admit he made a mistake, so he doubled down instead and said his fish oil pills were more delicious than mine.

lol

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Blistex posted:

<50 Korean grannies start to use their elbows, yelling and pushing each other to be the first to try a sample of fried Spam. . . something that is sold in literally every corner store and grocery in the country>

you're missing the most important word:

free

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Blistex posted:

but the ignorant gently caress had already made up his mind that he didn't like Korea

Please, it's not like he wouldn't have come to this conclusion if he had arrived with the most open of minds.

I'm trying to think if I ever managed to run into this guy in Dongducheon, but if he never left his room than it seems doubtful. My favorite Dongducheon reject though was this guy who got into a literal fistfight with me in a KTV while shouting, "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?" at me and after I walked away he used the situation to guilt an American girl into going out on a date with him, ordered the most expensive food and drink on the menu, and then made her pay for it. He then wound up in a Korean ICU a few months later with a sob story about being hit by a truck before it came out that he had just picked another fight, this time with a whole group of Korean guys, and they had gone to town on him.

Also, runny eggs are gross.

GoutPatrol posted:

Well she doesn't want Mad Cow or cancer. Seems sensible to me! *throws away majority of the BBQ, complains about it never being filling*

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Atlas Hugged posted:

he used the situation to guilt an American girl into going out on a date with him, ordered the most expensive food and drink on the menu, and then made her pay for it.
Fuckin Laoshi right here.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Well who was he supposed to be? Did his dad own a dealership?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://www.yesasia.com/us/50-education-methods-from-a-mother-who-put-3-sons-into-stanford-university/1051005861-0-0-0-en/info.html

50 Education Methods from a Mother Who Put 3 Sons into Stanford University

Step 1: Marry a rich guy or have a lot of money from your family already.
Steps 2-48: Bribe people in various levels of the educational system from first grade through university.
Step 49: If they can't do the work properly, outsource everything to other people and write the kid's names on it.
Step 50: Write a book full of sagely bullshit grandpa advice and lie about steps 1-49.

EDIT: Secret bonurs unwritten step: Gain a ton of face for all of it, like you really accomplished something.

Haier fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 14, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I don't know if this is a HK thing but the "Chinese people fear raw food" trope does not match here.

Red Bone Chicken (I'm sure it has a different name, but when the chicken bones ooze red onto the meat, that's what I'm calling it) is very popular here, and even though the meat is sometimes white it's more usually pink. Rare steak is fine, it's when you mince beef and it's pink inside that you have to worry about how it's stored. Good job they do minced beef-and-corriander balls served on tofu as a staple of dim sum, invariably pink inside (idgaf, soak those bad boys in vinegar and scarf them down, yum). Fish so underdone it sticks to the bone. If an egg isn't runny that's unusual. Mad for that raw-cracked-egg-into-bowl and sushi too. Pink pork is standard.

Fun fact: E.coli is everywhere, even in the west. It is also regional. You are probably used to your local strain, which is why you can eat McD's in America with cow bowels minced into it. After a while in any particular Asian region, your stomach will adjust, and things that would have given you terrible shits when you arrived are just processed normally. Dheli Belly is temporary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Haier posted:

http://www.yesasia.com/us/50-education-methods-from-a-mother-who-put-3-sons-into-stanford-university/1051005861-0-0-0-en/info.html

50 Education Methods from a Mother Who Put 3 Sons into Stanford University

Step 1: Marry a rich guy or have a lot of money from your family already.
Steps 2-48: Bribe people in various levels of the educational system from first grade through university.
Step 49: If they can't do the work properly, outsource everything to other people and write the kid's names on it.
Step 50: Write a book full of sagely bullshit grandpa advice and lie about steps 1-49.

EDIT: Secret bonurs unwritten step: Gain a ton of face for all of it, like you really accomplished something.

I haven't had much luck with the first step yet

• Locked thread