Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Man, good guess. 16th and Sansom.

Hah, I work at 13th ans Sansom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Phanatic posted:

Crappy street construction tales.

I see your poorly-secured construction cover, and raise you an open manhole cover in the middle of an open lane of traffic:

Miami.

:suicide:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Phanatic posted:

Man, good guess. 16th and Sansom.

I recognize PWD's sterling jobbing anywhere

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

edit: poo poo you're talking about the hole in the ground at 16th and Sansom, not the row home

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Hey goons, help me avoid becoming a tale of crappy construction!

:siren:Tell me why it's a terrible idea to buy a church!:siren:

The ceiling is falling in as the roof leaks (I would guess). I would need to do extensive renovation on the interior. It's been empty for years.

Yet I'm still probably heading out to look at it this week. :suicide:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Does it have a Pokéstop or gym in it?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

That is God's house, not yours :mad:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Polio Vax Scene posted:

That is God's house, not yours :mad:

God needs to tidy up his poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

The ceiling is falling in as the roof leaks (I would guess). I would need to do extensive renovation on the interior. It's been empty for years.

What denomination? This effects the likelihood of dead bodies of children buried on the lot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Does it come with cemetery?

e:gd;b

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Probably haunted tbh

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

No graveyard I am aware of.

Ghosts are not an issue. Possibly even a feature.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

No graveyard I am aware of.

I bet you're not aware of the rape cellars either.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It looks like it has an attic. Take photos of the attic for us.

No bell tower, which IMO is a major point against it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Does it have a Pokéstop or gym in it?

For real, look into this. It's not on a historical register somewhere, is it?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Platystemon posted:

No bell tower, which IMO is a major point against it.

Imminent Mr. Bastard falling through the attic to his death.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I bet you're not aware of the rape cellars either.

As it has no basement, so I assume no rape cellar. I will add installing one to the renovation list.

Platystemon posted:

Will do

NancyPants posted:

For real, look into this. It's not on a historical register somewhere, is it?

I doubt it, but I will check if/after I start to lose my mind and genuinely considering buying it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
:siren: Organ spotted :siren:

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Imminent Mr. Bastard falling through the attic to his death.

Hmm, well‐placed concern.

Is the realtor fatter than you? Make them go first.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Poor insulation, cheap fixtures, cheaper bathrooms. Showers? Bathtubs? And I'm not counting the basketball baptismal font

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Hmm, well‐placed concern.

Is the realtor fatter than you? Make them go first.

Fatter than a goon? Unlikely. It's ok I'm ex-navy seal I will do a sweet ninja roll and break my fall if I somehow misstep.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Poor insulation, cheap fixtures, cheaper bathrooms. Showers? Bathtubs? And I'm not counting the basketball baptismal font

Poor insulation. Check.
Cheap fixtures. Check.
Cheaper bathrooms. Check.
Showers? Bathtubs? Nope and nope.

I can only hope I'd get it for a song and take what I'd be paying on a house to make this place livable and hopefully awesome.

Or I could pony up eight times as much and buy this other church. (Amazingly the same distance from town, just in a different direction)

[irony]It's not bad, but where do I get to leave my mark on the place? What's left for me to do? [/irony]

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 13, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy9bZHFEhEQ

You can’t buy the property because if you do we will all know that you live at 4949 Bath RD in Loyalist, Ontario

https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...6915419!6m1!1e1

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Just make sure you don't keep all your garbage where the pews used to be, because then a couple of your friends will have to go dump it on Thanksgiving and wind up going to jail for littering.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy9bZHFEhEQ

You can’t buy the property because if you do we will all know that you live at 4949 Bath RD in Loyalist, Ontario

https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...6915419!6m1!1e1

If I buy it, feel free to drop by!

TVs Ian posted:

Just make sure you don't keep all your garbage where the pews used to be, because then a couple of your friends will have to go dump it on Thanksgiving and wind up going to jail for littering.

I chuckled.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Indolent Bastard posted:

Nothing intrinsically wrong with buying a church, I wish there had been an affordable one around when I was looking at houses. As long as you're aware of the shortcomings, go for it. Does it have a message board outside that you can post cool messages on? "Let him who is without lubricant throw the first piston".

ed: NO HEAT

Access: Road access
Features: Conservation/green belt
Lot Size: under 1 acre
Real Estate Type: Single Family
Building Features:
Exterior Finish: Vinyl siding
Foundation: Stone
Heating Type: No heat
Water: Drilled Well

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 13, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't know what canadian zoning laws are like, but maybe check if you're even allowed to make that church be a house.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Either that photo of the bathroom is distorted (Real estate photo, so likely) or that toilet paper roll is really far from the toilet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leperflesh posted:

I don't know what canadian zoning laws are like, but maybe check if you're even allowed to make that church be a house.

Yes.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Buy the church, convert it into a bar, pretty solid gimmick there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guy Axlerod posted:

Either that photo of the bathroom is distorted (Real estate photo, so likely) or that toilet paper roll is really far from the toilet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy9bZHFEhEQ&t=187s

Crappy construction confirmed.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

They did it back in 2002. I already found the paperwork.

E: Beaten.

Platystemon, keep your mitts off my money pit/death trap!

Bad Munki posted:

Buy the church, convert it into a bar, pretty solid gimmick there.

Then I'd have to rezone it again. I actually do have thoughts that it could be made into a venue of sorts and not just be a home. But that would be years off.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 13, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The thing is that unless it includes living space for a priest or whatever, a church is really badly designed for being a place to live. You'd basically be talking about gutting the whole thing and rebuilding the inside into a functional living space, and that is assuming you want a big open plan arrangement anyway. If it isn't even heated, then you're basically buying a warehouse with pretty windows.

I always wanted to buy a fire station, because they have actual bathrooms and kitchens, but unfortunately everyone else saw Ghostbusters as well and so its impossible to buy one at a price that makes any sense. :smith:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Ashcans posted:

The thing is that unless it includes living space for a priest or whatever, a church is really badly designed for being a place to live. You'd basically be talking about gutting the whole thing and rebuilding the inside into a functional living space, and that is assuming you want a big open plan arrangement anyway. If it isn't even heated, then you're basically buying a warehouse with pretty windows.

Yeah. Reality has a way of dashing your dreams of living in a dope place. I'm almost certain I won't buy it, but I still gotta look. (Maybe they would take a 50% of asking offer :cheeky:)

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Ashcans posted:

I always wanted to buy a fire station, because they have actual bathrooms and kitchens, but unfortunately everyone else saw Ghostbusters as well and so its impossible to buy one at a price that makes any sense. :smith:

I never really thought about it before, but is it against code to have a fire pole in a residence?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Agrinja posted:

I never really thought about it before, but is it against code to have a fire pole in a residence?

Most places it is, yes. You need to block it up, or do something to make it safe.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Agrinja posted:

You can work around it by designating it as a stripper pole.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Indolent Bastard posted:

Platystemon, keep your mitts off my money pit/death trap!

It’s all yours, man.

I want a house with stairs in it.

The most I’ll do is stop by and drag some chains around in the dead of night.

Or maybe I won’t do that, but you’ll assume it’s me when the real spectres show up.

Agrinja posted:

Claim it’s a load‐bearing fire pole so you can’t remove it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
What's the zoning for churches anyway? Would they have to rezone it anyway for it to be a residence?

Also, don't firehouses have the trapdoors for their fire poles now, for safety and heating?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Seems like your best shot at starting a cult, might even have robes and stuff still in some dusty closet

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Indolent Bastard posted:

Most places it is, yes. You need to block it up, or do something to make it safe.

A local fire station where I live wanted a fire pole. This wasn't a historic station, it was a brand new station and they wanted their loving pole. The whole project got delayed and they had to fight hard but they some how got it under the promise that it wouldn't ever *wink* be used and was just a decoration.

It was actually pretty ironic to listen to the chief and other FD people ranting about stupid safety and building code regulations trumping common sense and history when a huge part if not the majority of their job is inspecting buildings and slapping them down for even "minor" fire code violations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My local fire station does tours for kids' birthdays, and I went with mine to his friend's party. The kids all loved it :3:

They had a gate in the rail surrounding the fire pole so nobody wanders into it. He said the firefighters sorta stopped using the pole, because of of their guys slipped off and broke his leg in a fall responding to a call. He was sleeping in his room, and while waking up just sorta lost his grip on it and fell. Experienced guy too.

So the city addressed it by removing 2 of the 3 fire poles, and replacing them with these metal, spiral slides. Except the spiral isn't a smooth turn like a playground slide, it's straight sections with 30 to 60 degree joints to the next straight section. The guy was saying you have to go down it just right, or else you'll risk injury. Even if you do everything right, it's still pretty uncomfortable and painful to get bounced around on it. When they go down it, it sounds like someone tossing a metal trashcan down a flight of stairs.

Within the first week of putting in the slides, one of their guys broke his arm while using it.