Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
hello, full time worker dad of two here, I cook dinners and do fun stuff with my kids on the weekend.

I've put 15 hours into Zelda since launch because I'm a normal human being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I do fun stuff with my kid on the weekend, like make him watch me play Breath of the Wild.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Louisgod posted:

hello, full time worker dad of two here, I cook dinners and do fun stuff with my kids on the weekend.

Look at this loser, look and laugh

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Same, I thought I played a lot, but I have 20ish hours total in the game.

One of those days I was sick and played for 6~ hours before passing out on the couch.

How the gently caress do people have over 70+ hours in this game already? :psyduck:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I just use my 4 year old as the mini map and compass.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Louisgod posted:

normies should :frogout:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

ratbert90 posted:

How the gently caress do people have over 70+ hours in this game already? :psyduck:

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeerds mostly.

I mean I have a lot of playtime myself but the bulk of that was from 2 6ish hour car trips where I wasn't the driver and had a power plug next to me :getin:

I honestly probably have comparable playtime with Shovel Knight that I do with Zelda.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

My adolescent self would've put 100+ hours into this already

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm always amazed how quickly some goons blow through games. 60 hour rpg comes out and they are done by day 3. Mother fuckers do you sleep?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I wish I had 70 hours of free time to dump into Zelda, but at the same time at this rate it's going to last me another 2 months so I'm perfectly okay with it.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Have we heard anything new about Virtual console lately? Not that I'm dying for it, just curious, mostly.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey guys. I don't want to sound like a dick but I'm just going to ask honestly... please take no offense.

Is Fast RMX "good" good? Or is it "There's 3 games on my new console, and this isn't a total shitshow, so I'm satisfied" good?

I'm tempted to get it, especially because my 4 year old (who's pretty savvy) is not able to handle Zelda but I want him to be able to play something... and... yeah I guess I just want to know if it's solid-to-good and not "well, it's launch for a new console and this isn't a smoking wreck, so... yay!" :)

Louisgod posted:

This is me. Sup awesome Dad buddy who cooks the meals!
:D

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My screen just says when I last played Zelda. :/

Feenix posted:

Hey guys. I don't want to sound like a dick but I'm just going to ask honestly... please take no offense.

Is Fast RMX "good" good? Or is it "There's 3 games on my new console, and this isn't a total shitshow, so I'm satisfied" good?

I'm tempted to get it, especially because my 4 year old (who's pretty savvy) is not able to handle Zelda but I want him to be able to play something... and... yeah I guess I just want to know if it's solid-to-good and not "well, it's launch for a new console and this isn't a smoking wreck, so... yay!" :)

If you like Wipeout style games it's good, but I definitely bought it because "what the gently caress else is there?"

I dunno if a 4 year old could handle it though, you can fall off the tracks a lot.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Phantasium posted:

if you want to watch netflix, take the switch out of the dock *click* and then you can have netflix on your tv while you also play the game.

Are you suggesting I *switch* to Netflix

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Everyone who isn't struggling daily to find a Nintendo Switch is a nerd.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

gonna nerd it up in northeast hyrule today.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Louisgod posted:

look at this normal human being with kids and adult responsibilities and poo poo

just be glad i'm not passing my obsessive nerd genes on

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

My wife is a horrible cook so I also do all the cooking.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
It's almost comical how much this is a reaction to the Wii U's marketing. Nintendo are trying super hard to pound exactly what this thing is and why it's different into everyone's brains. Every appearance Reggie makes he brings up the Switch's 'differentiators' and repeats the whole 'console experience on the go' thing over and over. They knew their core fanbase/video game ppl would rush out and grab it for the newest Zelda, and since there isn't much else to really do yet, that core functionality is all anyone is seeing of it out in the wild. I imagine it's going to be more-or-less this way until Christmas. I don't think they (maybe rightly?) care much about games press because the market they're ultimately aiming for pays very little attention to it.

I'm wondering what they're going to do with the Joy-Con issue from a marketing perspective. It's pretty obviously a problem with the design of the left Joy-Con and not a random defect, so it's on them, but I'm sure they want to avoid some big statement that could result in "SWITCH RECALL, NINTENDO CONSOLE DEFECTIVE" articles that could reach mom or grandma before Christmas rolls around. Seems like they're hoping everyone just calls support and that silently takes care of it.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I'm taking the Switch on a flight to England and Whelp I hope I have a plug to charge the most non portable portable device since the Game Gear.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Feenix posted:

I haven't played it since I got Zelda.

It's fun if you WANNA GO FAST for a few minutes, but it's not phenomenal or anything special really. I'd say give it a pass. I doubt your kid would like it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Get snipperclips and play with your son

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Machine posted:

I'm taking the Switch on a flight to England and Whelp I hope I have a plug to charge the most non portable portable device since the Game Gear.

That's not fair! The game gear had replaceable batteries!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Pre-release: "Hmmm, Breath of the Wild is getting some stellar reviews, but is it really the height of the series?"
*buys it, becomes obsessed*

Week after release: "Fast RMX looks like a cool F-Zeroish game, but is it fun or just a glorified speed demo?"
*buys it, imagines Nintendo crying in cafeteria over this game eating their lunch*

Last weekend: "A Master Blaster remake? I never got very far in the original, but my friends say this is a tighter version with great new levels"
*tries it, game controls great and exploration is easy & fun*

"Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment? Will it be as great as the modern-classic original?"
*yes, it totally is*

Switch has some good games, y'all.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm wondering what they're going to do with the Joy-Con issue from a marketing perspective. It's pretty obviously a problem with the design of the left Joy-Con and not a random defect, so it's on them, but I'm sure they want to avoid some big statement that could result in "SWITCH RECALL, NINTENDO CONSOLE DEFECTIVE" articles that could reach mom or grandma before Christmas rolls around. Seems like they're hoping everyone just calls support and that silently takes care of it.

They have a team of PR scientists on the ready to delineate such info in the most palatable ways possible

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Phantasium posted:

Get snipperclips and play with your son

Tried the demo. He finds it fun but I'm like "YOURE DOING IT WRONG YOU IDIOT!!"

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Feenix posted:

Tried the demo. He finds it fun but I'm like "YOURE DOING IT WRONG YOU IDIOT!!"

The problem is you

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Norns posted:

My wife is a horrible cook so I also do all the cooking.

I didn't say that I do all the cooking, only that I *do* cook dinners as well. Cooking is fun.

Feenix posted:

A 4 year old definitely won't enjoy Fast RMX. It's great albeit in short burst if you like F-Zero and Wipeout but Mario Kart 8 is where your kid will have fun. Snipperclips is your next best bet.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Report: Switch's Wi-Fi may be the cause of some frame rate drops.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

hunh

I guess that explains why I never saw them, I had mine in airplane mode with bluetooth on for battery's sake and since I can't just flip "airplane with bluetooth" without going into the system settings it's mostly just stayed that way

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
What type of game is shovel knight?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

an actual dog posted:

The problem is you

I thought that was fairly heavily implied. :)

Hey so does the eShop have a web presence? Like how you can go to the web store for PSN? Or is on-console the only place I can add a credit card or purchase things?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Consummate Professional posted:

Platformer. It owes a lot to MegaMan. It's really good.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Classic NES-style platfomer that pulls the best bits of stuff like Duck Tales and Megaman and seriously runs with it, and apparently the followup campaigns with different characters have been just as good.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I guess that explains why I never saw them, I had mine in airplane mode with bluetooth on for battery's sake and since I can't just flip "airplane with bluetooth" without going into the system settings it's mostly just stayed that way

If you hold the home button while in game a quick menu opens where you can adjust brightness, enter sleep mode, or toggle airplane mode.

E: wait, bad at reading, I guess that also turns Bluetooth off.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

I use a LAN adapter for console mode, but I still get some framerate drops here and there, not bad or anything but just noticeable periodically. I play in airplane mode 90% of the time in handheld mode, and obviously you have to turn airplane mode off for tabletop (they need to give you an easy wifi on/off button, not just airplane).

Unless wifi is still running in the background while I am on LAN, but I assume the adapter would be off in that mode.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The really should be a software volume switch in that quick menu so I don't have to use the rocker.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mega Man 2, Super Mario Bros 3, and Duck Tales had a baby.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

parallelodad posted:

The really should be a software volume switch in that quick menu so I don't have to use the rocker.

Looks like someone's kickstand got rocked when they tried to turn up the volume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

It might just be wishful thinking but it seems like most of the Switch's problems are software based and can hopefully be ironed out easily enough

Not having a Switch kinda sucks but waiting for the problems to be fixed makes the wait slightly better

• Locked thread