Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
obama acted like the president but not as the president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Therein lies the rub.

Threatening make-work white collar jobs also threatens the sort of mass comfortable center that makes up your rank and file Democratic coalition. It's seen as an attack on those like me, instead of an attack on those poor rubes who live in Appalachia and just can't see that moving to New York City would fix all their problems.

not only that, but the political establishment itself is a tower of make-work white-collar jobs, with layers and layers of bureaucrats and assistants following the high-ranking legislative and executive figures around while every member of Congress deploys an army of interns (who are exempt from regular labor law) to do most of their day to day work

and that's without even getting into the multitude of consultants and think-tankers and lobbyists and who knows what else

Raskolnikov38 posted:

democrats always talk about retraining people to take new jobs after their policies kill the old ones but has any of it actually happened? I'm completely unaware of any.

I think it has, but I think its supporters avoid studying it in-depth because the outcomes are obviously p bad if you stop for a minute and think about it. even if you just flat out pay for people's four-year degrees (and also pay for their mortgage and childcare and other expenses they have that most college kids don't), that makes them only slightly less qualified than the 22-year-old fresh graduates they'll be competing with for entry-level jobs in their new field. it's not just changing careers - it's having to start an entirely new career from scratch, with all your previous experience and qualifications and seniority rendered utterly meaningless.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Neurolimal posted:

I dont think you have to worry; while not outright "kill white", Hillary's campaign had heavy framing by outside forces of being a test on if democrats could wholly ignore fiscal progress in favor of social. It didn't get the turnout needed for that. Kill Whitey would/will get even less.

Much to everyones surprise, minorities also suffer from being broke AF

As a minority, it always boggles my mind why white people think that we only care about race relations in regards to politics.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

anime was right posted:

obama acted like the president but not as the president.

He was too above it all to put out the smoldering fire that consumed us all.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Democrats are right. We need to act like the adults in the room.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
obama got healthcare for a lot of people who wouldn't have been able to get it otherwise

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Democrats are right. We need to act like the adults in the room.

I mean, how often do you see children seize the means of production

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

The Brown Menace posted:

I mean, how often do you see children seize the means of production

teens grab their means of production all the time

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Venuz Patrol posted:

obama got healthcare for a lot of people who wouldn't have been able to get it otherwise

by putting the burden on people already living paycheck to paycheck, sure

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

paranoid randroid posted:

things this thread believes dot txt

because historians never take a dim view on naivety, political or otherwise, of which the DNC chair election was but one additional example of obama's

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

because historians never take a dim view on naivety, political or otherwise, of which the DNC chair election was but one additional example of obama's

read fewer Great Man History texts

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i hate comparisons between Rome and America but the most likely historical read of Obama is that he was an Antoninus Pious type who was decent enough and competent but failed to address long-term problems

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

it's a joke about the retraining being "saddling everyone with crushing student loan debt" I believe

Yeah "job retraining" has meant "going to college to get a 4-year degree" for years now.

zegermans posted:

I think his point was student loan debt has kept pace with GDP growth

the problem is though that GDP growth doesn't go to anyone but the rich anymore.

Actually what you're looking at is student loan debt outpacing GDP growth. If it were keeping pace with GDP the red line would be flat.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i hate comparisons between Rome and America but the most likely historical read of Obama is that he was an Antoninus Pious type who was decent enough and competent but failed to address long-term problems

my roman history is poo poo, who was the last leader of the republic before ceaser

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

my roman history is poo poo, who was the last leader of the republic before ceaser

it was

*flips through textbook*

....Obamicus Baraca

*textbook falls from my numb fingers and thuds to floor*

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The Roman Republic didn't really have single figurehead rulers, it was a big old mess of generals and rich people becoming consuls and tribunes etc etc and all constantly scheming against each other forever

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
also lol at comparing Trump to Julius Caesar

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

well yes caesar wasn't a complete retard but they'll both destroy their respective republics

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I think you'll find that Jimmy Carter destroyed America but nobody noticed yet

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

There are some superficial similarities

Caesar was an authoritarian tyrant who was popular with the plebs (due to killing a large number of foreigners) and his opponents were adherents of democracy through and through but also represented the interests of the richest people a bit more than they perhaps should have

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

logikv9 posted:

I think you'll find that Jimmy Carter destroyed America but nobody noticed yet

Nah that was Reagan backstabbing Carter.

Kind of like Andrew Jackson with John Adams.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Nah that was Reagan backstabbing Carter.

Kind of like Andrew Jackson with John Adams.

do you mean ted kennedy instead of reagan

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

obama doesn't look all that bad compared to bush, clinton, bush, reagan, carter, and nixon

he might be a bad president, but there haven't really been a lot of good presidents

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

logikv9 posted:

I think you'll find that Lyndon Johnson destroyed America but nobody noticed yet

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

he might be a bad president, but there haven't really been a lot of good presidents

p much, i always have to end up including harrison in a list of top 5

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

how does this republic still exist

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Yall dumb to argue "Is history going to remember Barack Obama"

Wikipedia exists now, imagine if it existed 100 years ago.

*Goes to edit the Wright Brother's page to label their powered manned flying machine as witchcraft because the wings don't flap

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Main Paineframe posted:

obama doesn't look all that bad compared to bush, clinton, bush, reagan, carter, and nixon

nixons seems like a loving saint right now.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
is ghwb the best republican president in like the past 60 years?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

UHD posted:

how does this republic still exist

We keep paying our bills

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

anime was right posted:

is ghwb the best republican president in like the past 60 years?

no because eisenhower still barely squeaks in until 2020

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/841393877357625344

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

They're mostly Trump voters so don't interrupt your enemy mid-mistake?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the actual suck party

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

zegermans posted:

They're mostly Trump voters so don't interrupt your enemy mid-mistake?

in which zegermans wishes mass death on black people in the south

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

in which zegermans wishes mass death on black people in the south

in which GalacticAcid suddenly cares about the opinions of black people in the south again

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

but yeah this bill is a terrible disaster and Dems should probably not be poo poo

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zegermans posted:

but yeah this bill is a terrible disaster and Dems should probably not be poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXR91UxhO7Y

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I mean, if they're going to push bills they dont expect to pass they could stand to be more ambitious than "we formally denounce the alleged fake news phenomenon most people have already forgotten"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Didn't the fake news poo poo even come back to immediately bite them in the rear end anyway since it turns out both sides can play that game lol

• Locked thread