Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

wow 120, poo poo there's 100 more, I haven't even scratched the surface. After seeing like 20 I thought "where the gently caress are the others" but I guess there's an awful lot I still have to explore; just uncovering a map with a tower doesn't mean poo poo in the long run. I'm excited to visit my first nonhuman place in Zora Town, I haven't even touched the 4 other areas of the other races.

Also I am godawful at the photo album poo poo and was very lucky to even find the memory near Lanayru Path, along a giant crumbled bridge area I didnt even know existed.

You can get some help with tracking down memories. There's a painter you should talk to in Kakariko and do his side quest. Once you do, he shows up at stables near places where you have a memory picture and can give you hints as to where to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I love every single "here's an image, figure out where it was taken from" puzzle in this game. The moment where everything falls into place is fantastic.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Andrast posted:

So to combat his huge manbaby tears you are crying your own huge manbaby tears? Seems pretty counterproductive.

Calling Jimquisition a weird loser with inconsistent opinions calmly is a weird way to describe huge manbaby tears, yeah.

Like, it's not as though I made a highly-produced video lecture on the topic.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I certainly realize that. I am awful at video games, readily recognize that I will never truly finish this game*, and yet I realize that it is one of the most impressive pieces of work I've seen from Nintendo in a long, long time.

*I realized this after dying 10 times on the first Stone Talus boss because I am apparently incapable of throwing bombs at that stupid weak point of his

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I can't believe Loone broke up with Roscoe.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Alter Ego posted:

I certainly realize that. I am awful at video games, readily recognize that I will never truly finish this game*, and yet I realize that it is one of the most impressive pieces of work I've seen from Nintendo in a long, long time.

*I realized this after dying 10 times on the first Stone Talus boss because I am apparently incapable of throwing bombs at that stupid weak point of his

You can just climb him and slap it. He can't hit you when you're on his back

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

Calling Jimquisition a weird loser with inconsistent opinions calmly is a weird way to describe huge manbaby tears, yeah.

Like, it's not as though I made a highly-produced video lecture on the topic.

The people who literally only post in this thread to defend his honor are funnier imo

Edit:

Alter Ego posted:

*holds your face tenderly* I believe in you my friend. You can do it.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kashuno posted:

There is someone trying to WR 100% completion right now christ.

not even sure how you route that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

Don't throw bombs! Just stay by his legs and climb up his back, then whack the weak point. It's much easier. You wanna be really close to him.

If it helps (and this is a weird thing to say because it's kind of a criticism of the game but also the game is amazing), the difficulty evaporates pretty quickly once you start to learn the systems in general. When you learn what foods to cook and use the ability to chow down in the menu at any time, fights become much less stressful. Well, that, and you can still find fairies to carry around and revive you when you die, and you don't even need bottles this time.

Armor also makes a huge difference in this. You know the attack value that enemy weapons have when you pick them up? That's how much damage enemies do with them, too. Each of your hearts is the equivalent of 4 HP, so if an enemy hits you with a 10-attack weapon, well, that's not going to go well for you. But armor directly reduces damage, so if an enemy hits you with a 10-attack weapon and you have 8 armor, you're only going to take 2 damage (half a heart). Once you start finding armor that has actual defense your life is going to get a lot easier.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

You can just climb him and slap it. He can't hit you when you're on his back

You are making GBS threads me. Well, now I know how to kill the one I found on the mountainside by the Dueling Peaks Tower.

You're sure he can't hit you if you stay by his legs?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The whole reason I found the Lanayru photo place was because of the portrait guy actually, I didn't realize he pops up in other places as well. That's the only way I'm gonna find the others because I've never seen the other locations besides maybe the ones near the castle

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Alter Ego posted:

You are making GBS threads me.

You can also shoot it with your bow.

Bombs are not really that damaging. I think they do 12/18 damage before/after their upgrade which is pretty low.

Also if the weak point is low on them using a spear will automatically angle to hit it from the ground.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

You're sure he can't hit you if you stay by his legs?

Not if you're also running around behind him. There's one attack he can do that'll wreck you if you're close, but he won't do it unless you blow his arms off with bombs, which you can also do. If you just stay by his legs and circle him until you can climb up his back, you can probably take off half his health before he knocks you off, especially if you have a hammer.

MinibarMatchman posted:

The whole reason I found the Lanayru photo place was because of the portrait guy actually, I didn't realize he pops up in other places as well. That's the only way I'm gonna find the others because I've never seen the other locations besides maybe the ones near the castle

Yeah, he's incredibly helpful. I'm not sure if he has a hint for every single one or just most of them, but he's great.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

BabyRyoga posted:

not even sure how you route that

It's about 5.5 hours or so WR for all main quest (master sword, 4 DB's, memories) so the idea of getting 900 korok seeds AND filling the compendium seems like it is going to be...long.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Harrow posted:

Yeah, he's incredibly helpful. I'm not sure if he has a hint for every single one or just most of them, but he's great.

The only one I don't remember getting a hint for is the one showing Dueling Peaks, but by the time you get the memory quest you saw that landmark so it wasn't exactly difficult figuring out where the memory spot was.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

a cartoon duck posted:

The only one I don't remember getting a hint for is the one showing Dueling Peaks, but by the time you get the memory quest you saw that landmark so it wasn't exactly difficult figuring out where the memory spot was.

Also the one in Hyrule Castle, but that one is super obvious.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Kashuno posted:

It's about 5.5 hours or so WR for all main quest (master sword, 4 DB's, memories) so the idea of getting 900 korok seeds AND filling the compendium seems like it is going to be...long.

There are NINE HUNDRED korok seeds?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Shab posted:

Yeah.

They also count as much on the completion percent as shrines apiece which is an amazing troll by Nintendo.

Especially since to max out all your poo poo it only takes 441 of them!

900 gets you The ability to trigger the maracca dance cutscene

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zore posted:

Yeah.

They also count as much on the completion percent as shrines apiece which is an amazing troll by Nintendo.

Especially since to max out all your poo poo it only takes 441 of them!

Is that the last ??? on your list of abilities?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zore posted:

Now that's a reward I can appreciate

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lemming posted:

Is that the last ??? on your list of abilities?

No, that's something else.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Actually if 100% run is ever going to be a thing that happens, I imagine the best way to do it is get sheikah armor upgraded twice as fast as possible for faster night runspeed, ride horse around during the day, then just make sure to always have wood and a flame weapon to make it night when you're trying to get somewhere. I'd hate that run. the "you found me" cutscenes alone add roughly 90 minutes to any run, let alone getting them.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Zore posted:

Also the one in Hyrule Castle, but that one is super obvious.

Nah, I definitely got a hint for that one. Think it was when the painter stayed in Goron City.

Shab posted:

You only need half of them if you wanna max out your inventory, the number's only that big to ensure you stumble over a fair chunk of them and not meant to be all found by sane people.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Actually if 100% run is ever going to be a thing that happens, I imagine the best way to do it is get sheikah armor upgraded twice as fast as possible for faster night runspeed, ride horse around during the day, then just make sure to always have wood and a flame weapon to make it night when you're trying to get somewhere. I'd hate that run. the "you found me" cutscenes alone add roughly 90 minutes to any run, let alone getting them.

I want a GDQ where the only run is a BOTW 100% run

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also you get a good amount of inventory with a fraction of that. When I had 50 Korok seeds I had 14 melee weapon slots, 8 bows and 6 shields which is more than I could ever really use. The prices scale super hard after a point, but you're going to have more than enough well before then.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

What even is the last entry in your ability controls menu? I know they only get added when an NPC actually tells you so I probably already did that action a million times but it still bugs me.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

What the gently caress

https://gfycat.com/SplendidMedicalHornbill

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

holy poo poo. holy poo poo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Yup.

One of the ways to clown all over Eventide.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

lmao this game is amazing

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bwhahahahaha. This game is my GOTY simply because I've played for 60 hours and people still find new things to impress me with.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SettingSun posted:

Bwhahahahaha. This game is my GOTY simply because I've played for 60 hours and people still find new things to impress me with.

Ever make a flying raft with octo balloons? Hope you got a leaf to navigate through the skies

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
From a few pages back but shame on anyone who likes Jim Sterling's content. Look at that dick with his loving hat and coat and gloves self-aggrandising constantly. He's like neckbeard incarnate.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Kashuno posted:

There is someone trying to WR 100% completion right now christ.

Nine
Hundred
Koroks

gently caress THAT (and I love this game)

Batman Arkham Knight wishes it had that many collectables.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

\

I'm pretty sure he has a hint for all of them, it's just you're likely to stumble on at least a couple of them on your own before he tells you so he won't give you those.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

oh yeah that almost happens accidentally on eventide

problem is most of the time you get poo poo travellers swords back

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

Armor also makes a huge difference in this. You know the attack value that enemy weapons have when you pick them up? That's how much damage enemies do with them, too. Each of your hearts is the equivalent of 4 HP, so if an enemy hits you with a 10-attack weapon, well, that's not going to go well for you. But armor directly reduces damage, so if an enemy hits you with a 10-attack weapon and you have 8 armor, you're only going to take 2 damage (half a heart). Once you start finding armor that has actual defense your life is going to get a lot easier.

Do you ever just tank damage with enough armor, or does mitigation cap out at a quarter heart?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I was farming hinoxes and got like 6 royal broadswords.

Also upgrading the soldier set is a great way to survive almost anything

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Motto posted:

Do you ever just tank damage with enough armor, or does mitigation cap out at a quarter heart?

Caps out at a quarter heart, I'm pretty sure. Everything does a minimum of 1 damage no matter how good your armor is.

Meanwhile, I'm reasonably sure enemies don't have armor at all. Your attacks either don't do damage (like non-rock-breaking weapons on the mini-Talus guys) or they do. I could be wrong about that but wearing the Champion's Tunic shows that if my weapon does damage, it always does damage equal to its attack value (not counting things like damage buffs on me or critical hits).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
oh poo poo i just realized i can just track silent princess flowers if i want to find more great fairies