Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ainsley McTree posted:

The idea of being a vanguard with a melee weapon gives me a semi

Ian also confirmed that you don't have to manually swap to melee weapons--they are assigned to your melee button and only "equip" when you do the attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SgtSteel91 posted:

Was Inquisition really supposed to be a MMO?

This keeps being brought up but is there evidence or just conjecture from the MMO style gameplay?

This is what people get that from

quote:

Speaking to GamesIndustry, BioWare’s Mark Darrah explained that when BioWare first started working with the Frostbite engine, it built a multiplayer prototype.

“We actually had a project code-named Blackfoot which was the first game we had that was looking at Frostbite. It was a Dragon Age game, multiplayer only, that was in development before Dragon Age 2 came out,” he said.

The tech BioWare built for this prototype was later recycled.

“That became the core of what became Dragon Age Inquisition, the techlines, more than any of the development, so we’ve actually been looking at this a long time,” Darrah continued.

It snowballed into 'Inquisition was originally an MMO!!!' because the internet plays telephone like anything else.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Ian also confirmed that you don't have to manually swap to melee weapons--they are assigned to your melee button and only "equip" when you do the attack.

What if I don't want to be a gun-having weakling?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

My wife reflects the basic idea of your thought here. She doesn't play games, couldn't give two shits about it but even she heard about the craziness of the ME3 backlash. Her response was basically if you didn't like the game, move on or make something better. She especially hated when she heard people demanding that they get a new ending in DLC.

Have your wife play through the ending and see if her opinion changes

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Eraflure posted:

What if I don't want to be a gun-having weakling?

I think you can unequip all your guns? You can certainly have a pistol you never use. Or perhaps you can customize and flavor a gun to be one of your jedibiotic powers.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i get worried when game reviews are based on the incredibly polished early game rather than the quality of everything

i call this the 'fallout 4 effect'

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yes Bioware the best way to introduce things is to have a stuttering dev talking over all the footage, trying and failing to come up with interesting things to say for three minutes, instead of just showing us the scenes from the game.

Other than that though, despite my initial complaints of their design, I'm glad we finally have a species whose females are way uglier than the males, who are already pretty dire. :haw:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Fallout 4 was good

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fallout 4 got us the final Pam and was therefore worth it

Final Pam looks better than jaal

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/masseffect/status/841393481985773568

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

frajaq posted:

Fallout 4 was good

It gets better the less of the story you subject yourself to. Sadly, in order to unlock certain things, you have to play along.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Same as Inquisition and DJ Slime Time. I have high hopes for Andromeda's turn in the Monster Factory lime light, if for no other reason than you will also get the bonus of Alec and Sara.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So this game is a re skinned ME3. Hopefuly the story is good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am going to Krogan Hammer the poo poo out of everything forever.

My long range option will be my own body.

My mid range option will be my shotgun.

My short range option is ALL OF THE ABOVE

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I just want a krogan that can cloak and carry a gently caress off huge hammer. Decloak, smash to jelly, shotgun if something is still twitching.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It seems redundant to give a Krogan a hammer then that's pretty much what their heads are already.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Spikeguy posted:

My wife reflects the basic idea of your thought here. She doesn't play games, couldn't give two shits about it but even she heard about the craziness of the ME3 backlash. Her response was basically if you didn't like the game, move on or make something better. She especially hated when she heard people demanding that they get a new ending in DLC.

I can't speak for others' opinions, and I'm certainly not invested in any of the characters enough to feel wronged about their fate, but my personal opinion was that the trilogy as a whole had this heavy handed conceit about personal agency and the consequences of your actions, and the big climax of the game ultimately distilled all of your acts into one arbitrary choice at the rear end end of the game that barely accounted for any of them, if at all. Even the major, galaxy-affecting accomplishments saving the Krogan race; reconciling the Quarians and the Geth, etc. felt hollow because they all arrived at the same existential choice that render their effects irrelevant to the end result. That latter example especially stuck with me because the Geth finding peace and coexistence served as a glaring counterpoint to the philosophical stance being posed to Shepard at the end.

But eh, whatevs. Sure am looking forward to shotgunning some weird aliens in the face while blasting them with psychic joojoo. That'll be neat to do again, and it's really all I need out of this.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I thought this tweet chain was interesting:

First I'd heard that Vanguard can steal shields.

I dunno if it's stealing shields, but the profile lets you regain some shield when using melee. So it sounds like that you would constantly be eating your shields with powers and then recharging them with charge/melee. Which sounds loving bonkers and fun.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Clawtopsy posted:

i get worried when game reviews are based on the incredibly polished early game rather than the quality of everything

i call this the 'fallout 4 effect'

"early game" has never been Mass Effect's strong suit, imho

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Dr. Abysmal posted:

With footage of Jaal now available I'd like an update from the weirdo with the lion avatar who posts about how much he wants to suck a krogan's dick

Sorry to keep you waiting, fam. I went to sleep for 6 hours and this thread had like 300 new posts when I woke up. I'm just catching up now!

Anyway your requested update: Jaal seems like a dreamboat, I can't wait to see what his catsquid dick looks like. Will it be more cat or squid? Only time will tell!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

No, that's still victim blaming. That kind of victim blaming is the reason victim blaming still exists.
You're not wrong about reasonable precautions, but you're still putting the emphasis on the people who were hurt by someone else.
Haha what the heck? Do you not identify with the real world or something?

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Saying that the answer is to basically prevent employees from having any public interaction is probably not right though.
any uncontrolled/unsupervised interaction. At this stage of this industry, I don't know... You're right that it won't completely solve poo poo, since for instance somebody took a very normal and professional interview that was seven years old about Hepler and used that for ammo against her in the modern day. It lessens the size of the target, though. The basic issue is there is this incredibly misogynistic component to the customer base that will always be there because the industry services it despite their coy protestations otherwise. Bioware was to blame, Jennifer didn't really do anything - and those forums were a goddamn mess. I think the first thing they did was respond by saying the people harassing her were just jealous or some bullshit which just egged poo poo further on.

Mostly, and I guess unrelated to my little rant, I'm just shocked and amazed Bioware lets people like Manveer Heir spout the poo poo they spout using their position within the company as a soapbox.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

every time i see the name jaal i think of ja'am

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zore posted:

This is what people get that from

It snowballed into 'Inquisition was originally an MMO!!!' because the internet plays telephone like anything else.
The conflation is between the gaemplay design versus the server...mechanics?
I think saying it was an MMO is more than fair given DAInq's gameplay/exploration loop, which is MMO-ish to a T.

I would be hard-pressed after having played it to say "this was designed with singleplayer rpg mechanics in mind, first and foremost." I don't think there was supposed to be PVP poo poo or anything, though.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 13, 2017

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

They didn't create hundreds of hours of content with the intention that people would play lots of it and feel invested in the story and the characters? They didn't sell the discs to be used as coasters; they sold them as a satisfying experience, which it ultimately wasn't.

cams posted:

they released a product. if you get angry about your toys you are a broken person.

You just called a stranger on the internet a broken person. I'm not the angry one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I thought this tweet chain was interesting:

First I'd heard that Vanguard can steal shields.

Also I guess you can have your powers eat shields in exchange for a faster cooldown, which sounds cool.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

I am not sexually attracted to these cat people

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Drifter posted:

Mostly, and I guess unrelated to my little rant, I'm just shocked and amazed Bioware lets people like Manveer Heir spout the poo poo they spout using their position within the company as a soapbox.

I wonder if "Evil" Chris still works there. gently caress that guy. :devil:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Moola posted:

I am not sexually attracted to these cat people

You loving sicken me

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
lmao may god have mercy on our souls and this dumb bad thread 8/10 game is good not perfect but great in some areas, not as good as the witcher in any

TEENAGE WITCH fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 13, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

lmao may god have mercy on our souls and this dumb bad thread 8/10 game is good not perfect but great in some areas, not as good as the witcher in any

if you call this game 8/10 again I will burn your house down and doxx your dog!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
lol if IGN only gives this game an 8/10 it's literally Nazi propaganda trash.

Hedrigall posted:

You loving sicken me

Did you just like, not come up for air for three days the first time you saw that gif of a dragon loving that hatchback coupe?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Drifter posted:

it's okay to be racist if you make bad games and use "being progressive" as a smokescreen!

and by progressive i mean "the gay character's defining traits are "is gay" and "has a moustache" "

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Drifter posted:

Haha what the heck? Do you not identify with the real world or something?

Do you not understand what victim blaming is?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Do you not understand what victim blaming is?

My issue is I don't think you do if you're trying to label my (c)atittudes (hi-five Hedrigall) as such for what I have written.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

Did you just like, not come up for air for three days the first time you saw that gif of a dragon loving that hatchback coupe?

I dunno, post gif in this thread so I can confirm

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

My issue is I don't think you do if you're trying to label my (c)atittudes (hi-five Hedrigall) as such for what I have written.

Aw that was a special shout out just for me! :3: I feel so loved

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DoctorGonzo posted:

So this game is a re skinned ME3. Hopefuly the story is good.

Um what? How can anyone think this?

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
pls give me an option is mass effect 4 to kill all white people thx

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

quote:

Admiral Anderson‏ @ieat_JEDi
Can I "reverse engineer" old armor and weapons to get materials to craft a new piece of armor or weapon?

Ian S. Frazier‏ @tibermoon
Yes, most armor and weapons can be dismantled to get materials or even (more rarely) augmentations.

Which certainly beats how it worked in Inquisition, where once you made something and didn't need it/realized it was a mistake you could only sell it for, like, five gold regardless of what it cost in materials.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's NOT omnigel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Are we still talking about tw3? Of coarse we are this is the tw3 thread after all. Personally I really dug the crones and the bloody baron but I started to significantly care less after that.