Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Put a map in your orders, Sandman.

(Do you think the observers are sick of me nagging the brigadiers yet? :V )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

we may not have all our maps in our orders, but now we have some more range maps!! these are 40" ranges to the outer edges of the terrain feature in question (aside from fords and intersections, which are ~50-100px wide dot-ish blobs) and represent indirect artillery fire
forests

farms

and fords

available at full scale if needful

which leaves towns, roads, intersections, and bridges. i'll think about that later

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 12, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

If you are American, do not leave your post for the last day! There was the same sort of problem with trying to get some orders out five minutes before the deadline last time

quoting this for relevance

if sandman doesn't do anything in the next 12 hours should we just slap together an arrow for him? or a picture of the chits as he's described them? don't want to leave it 'till the day of the orders.

now i have a few questions about orders - haven't done this before so please correct my misunderstandings danke

at this point what are our conditionals for turns 9-16 - what happens if our orders roll doesn't go well in the next update for one or both brigades? if we don't see appreciable force before turn 16, where do we want to be? the infantry entering the map on turn 10 will probably be somewhere around halfway between stethoscope and the eastern river at turn 16, i believe.

i would especially like to have a contingency for if either of the forests on the western side of the fordable river turn out to be empty or nearly so, just in case we can't get new orders out after we find out, or the timing means we don't get the intel until turn 9

or do we already have that poo poo and i'm missing it?

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 12, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

oystertoadfish posted:

quoting this for relevance

if sandman doesn't do anything in the next 12 hours should we just slap together an arrow for him? or a picture of the chits as he's described them? don't want to leave it 'till the day of the orders.

This would be helpful, yes, if he's disinclined or unable to do it himself.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just pointing out that Sandman has been unable to provide complete orders due to scheduling issues three times in a row, which is concerning.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

oystertoadfish posted:

at this point what are our conditionals for turns 9-16 - what happens if our orders roll doesn't go well in the next update for one or both brigades? if we don't see appreciable force before turn 16, where do we want to be? the infantry entering the map on turn 10 will probably be somewhere around halfway between stethoscope and the eastern river at turn 16, i believe.

i would especially like to have a contingency for if either of the forests on the western side of the fordable river turn out to be empty or nearly so, just in case we can't get new orders out after we find out, or the timing means we don't get the intel until turn 9

or do we already have that poo poo and i'm missing it?

I think making orders for that far in advance is problematic. We know nothing about the situation then, so we run a risk of our orders interacting unfavorably with a reality that has turned out differently than we envisioned, and it's bad for player enjoyment to have to make reams of conditionals that mostly turn out useless.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Ikasuhito:

As far as I am aware you can have the MG's behind your infantry in the woods and they can still see/shoot out. There's no need for them to be exposed on the edge of the formation. Also your orders about who to leave behind while they sweep is a bit unclear, it might pay to check that units in the town can shoot out at spotted enemies and if not have them position in the outskirts rather than the town itself.

Sandman:

Please update your orders with a map. I also didnt see anything about going to the assistance of Ikasuhito if he gets into combat south of Stethoscope.

Saros fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 12, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

I think making orders for that far in advance is problematic. We know nothing about the situation then, so we run a risk of our orders interacting unfavorably with a reality that has turned out differently than we envisioned, and it's bad for player enjoyment to have to make reams of conditionals that mostly turn out useless.

we definitely can't have more than two or maybe three conditionals, i agree with that. trin will punish us if we violate it, and it's not fun anyway. i'm more asking, could we come up with a simple yes/no that would set us up as well as possible in the event of going 16 turns without new orders? like, 'if you see more than X enemy infantry and/or cavalry, set up this defense at line A; otherwise, drive off anybody you see and try to set up this other defense at line B'. understanding that it probably won't come into play, so it's not worth obsessing over

or do we think that sticking around where the current orders plant us is the safest option for the 16-turns-on-this-set-of-orders scenario?

i haven't played before so all this is more of a question than a suggestion

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 12, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Just pointing out that Sandman has been unable to provide complete orders due to scheduling issues three times in a row, which is concerning.

Agreed. I've told Saros to find a replacement for him.

Saros posted:

Sandman:

Please update your orders with a map. I also didnt see anything about going to the assistance of Ikasuhito if he gets into combat south of Stethoscope.

Agreed. However, let's be careful re: helping Ikasuhito. If he's in trouble, sure, send some guys to help, but don't abandon Stethoscope. Part of my plan being what it was was, essentially, one brigade advances while the other holds down their flank, and we cannot lose that town.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 13, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

oystertoadfish posted:

the infantry entering the map on turn 10 will probably be somewhere around halfway between stethoscope and the eastern river at turn 16, i believe.

The turn 10 reinforcements are the third brigade of Saros' cavalry division. Also, I'm officially tasking you with giving Trin a map for Sandman's orders.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

oh yeah, i forgot the details of who comes in when. we'll worry about that soon enough, though

OK :siren:here are the maps for the Sandman's orders:siren:. Flesnolk approved the images but i'd wait for him to approve the whole package before moving forward.

First, the orders:

The Sandman posted:

2nd Cavalry Orders

Enter the map in Marching Order along the northern road, then continue down the road and across the northern bridge. Remain on the northern road until you reach Stethoscope.

If Ikasuhito's 1st Brigade entered Stethoscope without fighting or was fired upon from elsewhere, take up Battle Order inside the town, then deploy in Defensive Stance with the arse hortillery and one MG in the northwestern Outskirts, one MG in the western Outskirts, one MG in the northern outskirts, and the cavalry as well as my brigade HQ in town.

If Ikasuhito was fired upon from the town, halt 14" from the Outskirts and change to Battle Order, then charge down the road into town on the next turn. After the town is taken and its defenders destroyed, take up positions as per the above orders.

Once in town, if an enemy formation closes within charging distance, the cavalry companies and my HQ are to charge them, pursue until the formation is destroyed or routed, then return to positions in the town.

Standing Orders:
When sighting an enemy on Attack Stance 12" or less away: CHARGE THEM
When attacking the enemy: CHARGE THEM
When enemy breaks off or retreats: KEEP CHARGING THEM
Break off automatically when: NEVER

In all cases the march begins from the north as depicted in both arrow-maps below. the orders pose two conditions, the paragraphs beginning with "If...".

If the first condition is met ("If Ikasuhito's 1st Brigade entered Stethoscope without fighting or was fired upon from elsewhere"), please follow this arrow in marching order all the way to stethoscope:

having done so, deploy in battle order as depicted in this image - i tried to throw the MGs and AH on the outskirts like he wanted:

/end of first condition

in the second condition ("If Ikasuhito was fired upon from the town"), please follow this arrow, forming into battle order somewhere around the circle, which indicates the spot on the road 14" from stethoscope, and charging as the orders describe from there along the rest of the arrow:

once you're done doing that, take up the positions depicted in the deployment map for the first condition, above
/end of second condition

and do note that last paragraph in the orders about what to do if an enemy comes within charging distance - if you do that, return the victorious chits back to that same deployment

whenever you're moving on the roads, except in the case of that second condition, it's in marching formation

that seems like a pretty direct drawing up of his orders. hope this helps :unsmith:

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 13, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm willing to sign off on this. Also, an update on the Sandman situation: If nobody else steps up, OTF is getting the brigade. There's a few of you unassigned, and staff officers who would maybe like to command in the field, so if you want to do it make sure you put your hand up before, oh, the next time we get to give orders. I need people I can rely on to do the job and be active about doing it in command, especially in these spearhead brigades.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yeah, if somebody else doesn't do it then i'm gonna end up doing it again. i'd actually rather one of yall did it, though. if anybody else wants it they can have it

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
For sure, this is just putting ITT what we discussed in roll20, that if nobody steps forward we have to fall back to you.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yup, it's good to type these things in both places :justpost:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Speaking of posting, mossyfisk, you're up on turn 10. Make sure you're ready. Bad enough we have to replace one brigadier without having to worry about others not getting their stuff in.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Double posting to note that, even though y'all aren't in at the start, I still want the other two cavalry brigadiers, and our infantry division, actively reading this thread and contributing to discussion here and in the roll20. We need to make sure we all understand the situation as it develops so we can make the best use of our forces.

And besides, all this silence is probably boring the observers to tears.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I am reading up on the whole thing but am still quite confused as to how things actually work so I don't feel like I can contribute much :v:

Then again that's why I took an infantry brigade, gives me some time to understand the rules and see how they are used.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Understandable, I'm just putting out word that I want people actively following along, contributing what they feel they can, etc. - we need an active team effort for this game. Personally, I think the arrival of forces is way too slow-drip, and that might be affecting activity.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Scout plane update, I want it scouting out this area on turn 12:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

:suspense:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Waiting for adjudication is an entirely different experience as a player.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

It's so much nicer as an observer.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO1CsLRUfsY

Turn 1: 0800
British initiative

Your cavalry rides boldly onto the field.

Turn 2: 0830
British initiative

The cavalry crosses the river, heartened by the morning sun.

Turn 3: 0900
German initiative

You begin converging on Stethoscope, unsure what you'll find.

Turn 4: 0930
British initiative

Still nothing in sight.

Turn 5: 1000
German initiative

Both your brigades make it safely into Stethoscope without sighting any enemies, and begin switching to Battle Order.

Turn 6: 1030
German initiative

1st Brigade chooses to modify its formation so that it can avoid leaving the confines of the town. 2nd Brigade should be assumed to be in some kind of Battle Order formation, again entirely within the town. There's not room for it to take up its assigned position, and it will move to those positions next turn, when 1st Brigade has departed.

However, don't worry; there is room for all the companies to fit in there, and so they have; I just can't be bothered moving everyone around, only to then have to move them again next turn.

Turn 7: 1100
German initiative

There's now room to show 2nd Brigade's formation. The 1st Brigade rides out of Stethoscope...and smack into a long line of what appear to be Fahrzeuge, each one of them with a machine-gun mounted on the back!

Important note: I am changing how I display companies who are attempting close combat; they won't be shown occupying another chit's space until they've successfully made it through the Firing Phase without being hit.

The machine guns open fire. It doesn't go well.

One company survives to close combat, though!

It sends two of the enemy companies fleeing back down the road, but then the third one successfully resists the charge.

You do pretty well in the rally phase, and curse that your own support companies weren't ready to support you this turn.

Turn 8: 1130
German initiative

South of Stethoscope, your support companies do good work disabling the enemy's Fahrzeuge.

The remainder open fire, though, and they're able to prevent all your surviving cavalry from reaching close combat. Three companies then rally, but importantly, the brigade HQ remains suppressed!

Meanwhile, 2nd Brigade has spotted an enemy cavalry brigade adopting Battle Order to the west! Its arse hortillery is in range, opens fire, and picks off one of their companies...

Full overview at the end of the turn:

Your Divisional HQ has successfully entered the map and I'll confirm in a few minutes when it will be hooked into the telephone network; I remind you that I keep them switched off at all times (unless being moved) so as not to run the risk of accidentally showing them to the enemy.

You have killed 4 enemy companies and lost 5.

:siren: The next soft deadline is 5pm Wednesday 15th March. 1st Brigade's commander may issue new orders, but the brigade cannot attempt to change its orders until after the brigade rallies from suppression.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
:supaburn:

That was quick. Best case, they pushed most of their defenses to the front to bottle us in. Charge!

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
!!!

Can we tell if the northern road is empty, or has 2nd Brigade just not looked in that direction?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So, the bad news: the armoured cars exist and half of 1 bde was annihilated in an instant. At least our machine guns and artillery kill them.

We took Steth first and we've killed a few of the bastards, at least. Saros, see to your division, I'll talk to you about next moves after my classes. Otf it probably falls to you to take over for Sandman. I suggest 1bde pull back to the outskirts, some of the cavalry screening their support companies while the rest prepare to help 2bde defend Steth. 2bde should move some of its cavalry to the outskirts facing the enemy cav to do the same for their MGs.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Mossyfisk, good to see you. Be ready, because we're going to need to get you some orders quickly.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

mossyfisk posted:

!!!

Can we tell if the northern road is empty, or has 2nd Brigade just not looked in that direction?

The northern road is, as far as you can see, unoccupied.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Good job on 1st and 2nd Brigade: getting into the town and ready for a charge without taking a single loss to what approximates a CORPS WORTH of British machine guns!

This is the worst possible thing we could have run into, and could result in a major swing of the battle.

I don't think there's possibly enough time to get those MGs ready on the town outskirts, so that enemy Cavalry is going to need to be either counter charged or ignored in preference to clearing out the cars.

For my brigade, I can see a few conceivable targets: cleaning up cars, retaking Stethoscope, seizing the northern side of CC, or even just running scout missions to check no forces have gotten around us.

Edit: Oh, my bad those MGs are well and truly set up. I hope to see them unhorse lots of englishmen.

mossyfisk fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 13, 2017

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

1st Brigade commander to HQ-"Not again!"

Hey Trin you mentioned that the first two ACs "fled", does that mean that they routed, or they just pulled back and now I can't see them?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

They were forced to retreat suppressed.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That honestly went okay but admittedly my standards for tolerable first turns are shaped by horrible horrible experience. Still, we have secured a town, we destroyed some high tech hardware, and our exchange rate was basically fine. If we keep going like this we will be fine.

If we stop in place we can force them to charge our machine guns or abandon the town. This is an advantageous position. We did good.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 13, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well, I have to admit I did not expect our horses to ride smack-dab into some cars.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

lovely 2CV no match for GERMAN HORSEPOWER

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I've just done a bit of quick number crunching using otf's little distance summary from a page or two back. Assuming they road marched for 6 turns, one to shake into combat formation, and one advancing in combat formation, they've moved very roughly 156", i.e they've come straight from Effyaders. If there's road marching infantry coming from there, the very earliest they could reach stethoscope is turn 13, probably a few turns later due to formation changes.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
What are the numbers if we assume their response to last round was "Oh my god never use Marching Formation"?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Clarification, those two cars will have to run for two turns, then try to rally. So, a minimum of 5 turns before we see them again.

There are about 200" between Effydars and where those cars were seen on turn 7. Either those cars are quite a bit faster then horses, or else they had to start somewhere further east. They also fired the first turn the cav left the town. So they either were in position on turn 6 or have no need to unlimber. So either they were blindsided or figured those cars would be a lot hardier then they ended up being. I can't think of which is funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I think we just got lucky and rode our cavalry into town while the cars weren't set up. If they had been, they could have fired at them before they got in to town.

• Locked thread