Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017
Well, we're off to a great start!

The announcement speech was instantly misreported even as the full text was being shared and republished:

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/841301283730554885

Nicola Sturgeon's agency in the matter was denied in favour of the more divisive figure of Alex Salmond:

https://twitter.com/AlexSalmond/status/841319042845724675

Westminster proceeded regardless, voting to give itself the option of deporting three million EU nationals if they don't like the way the discussions with Brussels go. The House of Lords 'opposition' meekly surrendered instantly:

https://twitter.com/rowenamason/status/841364246399193091?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Boris Johnson made a plea for national unity by pledging £100 million for a new royal yacht:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/13/new-royal-yacht-britannia-would-attract-overwhelming-support/

I look forward to the likes of Nigel Farage and Donald Trump weighing in on the matter.

Whatever you think about Scottish independence, setting up a new referendum is possibly the only challenge to the Tories' apparent policy of nihilistic intransigence toward the EU. It will hopefully help to reframe the debate and support our fellow UK residents at this unpleasant time.

I'm off to the Yes Bar to buy a pint out of solidarity after they had a bomb threat handed in earlier (need an excuse, it is too expensive to go to regularly).

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/...d/?ref=mr&lp=10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Angepain posted:

if scotland becomes independent will we still be legally able to make fun of pissflaps

If it takes your mind off the austerity max hellscape of post independence Scotland then be my guest.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 13, 2017

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Juliet Whisky posted:

I look forward to the likes of ... Donald Trump weighing in on the matter.

Hm. I'd managed to get my mind off this guy, but now he's back on it, I hope Scotland does go independent and then compulsory purchases his dumb golf course for 1€£

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ReidRansom posted:

Hm. I'd managed to get my mind off this guy, but now he's back on it, I hope Scotland does go independent and then compulsory purchases his dumb golf course for 1€£

This would be very good, as part of a broad package of radical land reform which is desperately overdue. The SNP won't be the person to deliver it, but the good news is they won't be around much longer if we get independence.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

This would be very good, as part of a broad package of radical land reform which is desperately overdue. The SNP won't be the person to deliver it, but the good news is they won't be around much longer if we get independence.
Aye just like the ANC, Congress in India, ZANU-PF, Fianna Fáil, and the other parties of liberation that have disappeared overnight as soon as their aims manifested.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Aye just like the ANC, Congress in India, ZANU-PF, Fianna Fáil, and the other parties of liberation that have disappeared overnight as soon as their aims manifested.

Were any of those parties in power before independence? I just don't think the SNP can hold together once it loses the one unifying policy, it's too diverse.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
The SNP will continue to exist in some form, I imagine. It just won't be the political juggernaut that it currently is.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I'm going:

Referendum this year
Say November 2017
Much shorter campaign
No wins by more than 5% but a lot of shifting between previous Yes and No demographics

Edit: nah it won't be this year, probs march next year

Hoops fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 13, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...source=facebook

Sinn Fein also wants Ireland out of the UK.

https://twitter.com/sinnfeinireland/status/841416958037901313

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

Sinn Fein also wants Ireland out of the UK.
OK lol how long are they going to wait for Eirxit/BráchxitRef2/3/4/5 etc. after this gets tanked

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sinn Fein trying to steal attention away from us, those bastards!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

forkboy84 posted:

Sinn Fein trying to steal attention away from us, those bastards!

as if anything could get people to pay attention to Northern Ireland

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

I wonder if EU citizens will be able to vote this time.

I think any significant change to the rules from last time will be immediately attacked as an attempt to rig the vote by whichever side feels they'll be disadvantaged by the change. So no one will think it's worth bothering.

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017

With a nationalist majority they arguably have constitutional authority for this according to the Principle of Consent:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_consent

Ironically this element of the constitution is / was opposed by Sinn Fein and other republicans, at least according to Wikipedia. Going to look at what they're actually saying now, but always remembered that the Good Friday agreement made provision for reunification subject to majority support.

Edit: Aye it does indeed seem that this move is predicated on the Principle of Consent of the Good Friday agreement and the recent election results.

Juliet Whisky fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 14, 2017

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I know this is kinda off topic from the Scottish issue, but if there was an NIref, what sort of percentages would we be looking at?

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Can one of the options in Indyref 2 be uniting with Ireland?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Acaila posted:

I know this is kinda off topic from the Scottish issue, but if there was an NIref, what sort of percentages would we be looking at?

Honestly no one knows. The biggest poll on it recently was conducted by the BBC last September, when it was 63% pro unionist, 22% pro unified Ireland, the trends not reflecting membership in nationalist parties. At the time though 80% claimed that Brexit had no effect on their position on the issue. Since then we know that the more that people have found out about the nature of Brexit that the more effect it has had on peoples attitudes towards the issue, but none of the major players involved in it have any interest in actually doing public polling on the issue.

The nationalist parties clearly have been doing their own internal polling, but I have to imagine that if they thought that it was that close that they could pull it off they would have made a more proactive move before we did. If anything I get the sense that they're trying to force May into responding to them at the same time as she does the SNP as to try and build the momentum and piggy back off Scots independence.

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017

Acaila posted:

Aye it is definitely not the same question as it is here; I reminded myself with this nice Irish Times article, which doesn't itself take a particular position:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/a-united-ireland-is-there-something-in-the-air-1.3007271

I suppose the issue for all of us is what kind of relations we would like with our neighbours but Ireland is a definite derail; I expect more reference to Scotland from there than the other way around as things proceed.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Presumably a united Ireland would need both NI and RoI to hold referendums and come to some agreement in terms? Also the negotiations would I guess be between the Dáil and Westminster with Stormont advising rather than acting on their own behalf, unless NI left the UK before trying to unite?

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017

big scary monsters posted:

Presumably a united Ireland would need both NI and RoI to hold referendums and come to some agreement in terms? Also the negotiations would I guess be between the Dáil and Westminster with Stormont advising rather than acting on their own behalf, unless NI left the UK before trying to unite?

It's... complicated. Here is the Irish politics thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762596

It would be strange for NI to leave the UK before trying to unite under any current agreement though. It is the sort of thing which could happen in fantasy future scenarios maybe.

Edit: Ha ha that thread is about how to get Irish citizenship and the terrible Irish government.

Edit 2: The Beyonce article posted there is the best political journalism since Gary: Tank Commander did the BBC interviews at the last Scottish election.

Juliet Whisky fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 14, 2017

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Irish politics always seems complicated to me but I feel I learned a lot from that article.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Dumb question, do the SNP at Westminster get any kind of formal influence over the terms of brexit, or is it just May and the Davis Department clubhouse doing literally everything?

Because it seems like it would benefit the SNP hugely if they can just stand on the sidelines shouting at the government over bad terms and loudly making nice with the EU while having no actual responsibility in the negotiations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Vitamin P posted:

Dumb question, do the SNP at Westminster get any kind of formal influence over the terms of brexit
No.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Vitamin P posted:

Dumb question, do the SNP at Westminster get any kind of formal influence over the terms of brexit, or is it just May and the Davis Department clubhouse doing literally everything?

Because it seems like it would benefit the SNP hugely if they can just stand on the sidelines shouting at the government over bad terms and loudly making nice with the EU while having no actual responsibility in the negotiations.
not a lot
there are 2 SNP members on Benn's Exiting the EU Committee (out of 21)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Defensive stuff from Sturgeon

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/841610785818316802

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Oh boy, this is going to be fun.

Scotland might go Mad Max afterwards, but at least my passport will be of use again. :grin:

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
-

Ler fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 25, 2020

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Anyone in this thread planning to attend this anti BBC demo?

https://mobile.twitter.com/YESthatcherDead/status/841631788292329474

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
This link just popped up on my facebook lmbo. Someone buy it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LWQUA8R

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Anyone in this thread planning to attend this anti BBC demo?

oh good i can't wait to read this gag another 900 times

yes the future of this thread is looking luminous

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Angepain posted:

oh good i can't wait to read this gag another 900 times

yes the future of this thread is looking luminous

Have you worked out how best to fit the word LEAVE on your face?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
An interesting article taking about an apparent shift in SNP rhetoric away from aiming for an independent Scotland in the EU, to some sort of EFTA membership. I heard something similar on the radio today based on quotes from Sturgeon and Salmond.

Surely such a policy would largely nullify the whole eu membership grievance that has prompted this in the first place?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pissflaps posted:

An interesting article taking about an apparent shift in SNP rhetoric away from aiming for an independent Scotland in the EU, to some sort of EFTA membership. I heard something similar on the radio today based on quotes from Sturgeon and Salmond.

Surely such a policy would largely nullify the whole eu membership grievance that has prompted this in the first place?

No because it would almost certainly entail accepting free movement and the single market which isn't possible within the UK as current likely Brexit outcome stands.

It'd be a good outcome because it wouldn't mean joining the Euro.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lord of the Llamas posted:

No because it would almost certainly entail accepting free movement and the single market which isn't possible within the UK as current likely Brexit outcome stands.

I don't mean it would be a compromise that sees Scotland in the UK and EFTA: I mean, if the SNP are seeking a referendum on independence based on Scotland being taken out of the EU, not seeking re-entry to the EU as an objective of that independence process would render the original cause of the grievance moot.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

An interesting article taking about an apparent shift in SNP rhetoric away from aiming for an independent Scotland in the EU, to some sort of EFTA membership.

that's a lot of article based on not a lot of actual quote, there

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

I don't mean it would be a compromise that sees Scotland in the UK and EFTA: I mean, if the SNP are seeking a referendum on independence based on Scotland being taken out of the EU, not seeking re-entry to the EU as an objective of that independence process would render the original cause of the grievance moot.

I knew exactly what you meant. It's not moot because EFTA membership is a million miles away from what Brexit is shaping up to be.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
Social attitudes survey finds support for Independence now higher than devolution

quote:

Support for Scottish independence is at its highest level in the annual Scottish Social Attitudes Survey.

The study, which has been conducted since 1999, found support for independence at 46% when people are asked to choose between devolution, having no parliament and leaving the UK.

It is the highest support registered for independence since the survey began in 1999.

The results show a considerable age gap in those who support independence and those who support staying in a devolved United Kingdom.

Of those polled who were aged between 16 and 24, 72% backed independence. This compares with just 26% of those aged 65 and over.

Despite the yearly survey's findings, two separate opinion polls released on Wednesday show support for the union in the lead if a fresh referendum was held.

Pretty significant findings from the Social Attitudes Survey. The table in the article is terrible but it still highlights how quickly support for independence has grown in less than 20 years.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I knew exactly what you meant. It's not moot because EFTA membership is a million miles away from what Brexit is shaping up to be.

So you think it would be reasonable to launch a bid for independence based on being taken out of the EU without seeking to be in the EU upon becoming independent? Interesting.

Also, new referendum campaign, new polling:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/841778219338612736

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

So you think it would be reasonable to launch a bid for independence based on being taken out of the EU without seeking to be in the EU upon becoming independent? Interesting.

It's a lot more reasonable than what this government is proposing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
We'll see again what the results are after 2 solid days of invective from south of the border. Project gently caress You And Die is the only thing worse for unionism than Project Fear.