Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Discendo Vox posted:

Does the report also doa premiums forecast?

I hope that old people enjoy spending $40k per year on health insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009
http://www.vox.com/2017/3/13/14907100/cbo-report-ahca-obamacare-replace-read

Can read the CBO report in its entirety.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Unfortunately it looks like the report projects a decrease in the deficit. I was hoping it would increase as that would piss off the conservative wing even more; they don't give a poo poo about people losing coverage.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The CBO concluded that the heath care market would remain stable, premiums would increase until 2020, and decrease thereafter - but that the decrease is overall and old people would get the shaft compared to now.

edit: note that it appears that the basis for that conclusion is mostly that insurers will offer shittier insurance that costs close to the new low premium credit amounts.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

Unfortunately it looks like the report projects a decrease in the deficit. I was hoping it would increase as that would piss off the conservative wing even more; they don't give a poo poo about people losing coverage.

Curious about the mechanism by which that works- mostly just cutting Medicare and company?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ze Pollack posted:

Curious about the mechanism by which that works- mostly just cutting Medicare and company?

It can be summed up in one line:

quote:

A reduction of $880 billion in federal outlays for Medicaid;

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009
They also weren't able to dynamically score it.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Ze Pollack posted:

Medicaid, but yes. Cuts to Medicaid exceed the revenue lost in the tax cuts and credits.

It's 1.2 trillion less in outlays and .9 trillion in reduced revenue

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Both the NYTimes and the Washington Post are running with the 24 million number, for what it's worth. I expect that's going to continue to be the headline number.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

Medicaid, but yes. Cuts to Medicaid exceed the revenue lost in the tax cuts and credits.

It's 1.2 trillion less in outlays and .9 trillion in reduced revenue

Surprised they could find that much in Medicaid to cut, tbh.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Also it's important to notice that if the Republicans do not gut Medicaid, they don't get the savings they need to get this through reconciliation.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Ze Pollack posted:

"By 2026, Medicaid spending would be about 25 percent less than what CBO projects under current law"

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

evilweasel posted:

Also it's important to notice that if the Republicans do not gut Medicaid, they don't get the savings they need to get this through reconciliation.

Methinks the largest lobby in Washington might not take to kindly to seniors losing coverage/getting the shaft.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DandyLion posted:

Methinks the largest lobby in Washington might not take to kindly to seniors losing coverage/getting the shaft.

That's medicare. Medicaid is poor people, medicare is old people. Old people who are not yet old enough for medicare are really shafted by the change in the maximum ratio you can charge young people vs. old people in this bill and I think it sets up future medicare cuts by depleting the trust fund but doesn't do them here.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

My mistake, so hard to keep track of who Paul Ryan is trying to (not so) secretly euthanize these days.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ze Pollack posted:

Not that surprising when you consider the GOP doesn't care about poor, old, or disabled people whom are the only ones using Medicaid. I'm more surprised they only cut 25%.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Azhais posted:

Not that surprising when you consider the GOP doesn't care about poor, old, or disabled people whom are the only ones using Medicaid. I'm more surprised they only cut 25%.

The only reason it's that little is because they delayed it because many red or swing states actually expanded medicaid and they need those voters to not realize they were had until after 2020.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Petition to change the thread subtitle to "Who knew healthcare would be this hard?"

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Does that CBO include the fact that no Actuary with at least two brain cells would sign a statement saying their rates are appropriate with those kinds of regulations? I sure as Hell wouldn't.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
24 million people. Jesus.

ISIS wishes it could kill as many Americans as this plan will.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009
CBO didn't project the new Medicare HI insolvency. Scalawags! Under ACA the Medicare HI trust fund is funded up to 2028. Was hoping to see what it would be with the repeal of the ACA taxes.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/SpeakerRyan/status/841388103529058304

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Quoting yourself as attribution of a third party is pretty ballsy. Then again that gently caress has nothing to lose (unlike 24 million people)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/841390305064693762

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

That's medicare. Medicaid is poor people, medicare is old people. Old people who are not yet old enough for medicare are really shafted by the change in the maximum ratio you can charge young people vs. old people in this bill and I think it sets up future medicare cuts by depleting the trust fund but doesn't do them here.

Old people are mostly also poor though. Medicare does not cover nursing home care, only Medicaid does.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
It said by 2026 the premiums will be about 10% lower than the ACA projection, but that's a terrible comparison. Because the AHCA removes the essential health benefits, the benefits covered under the two different plans will be completely different.

I'm convinced the CBO did not consult anyone with a strong understanding of the health insurance industry for this report.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
24 Million is low considering that the Republican's plans are to block grant Medicaid and then with each following budget reduce the block grant amounts.

24 million Holy Christ. I'm pretty sure that'd we would be even worse off than before Obamacare.

quote:

In total, CBO estimated that 52 million people in the U.S. would be uninsured in 2026 if the House bill became law, completely wiping out the insurance gains that have been made under Obamacare over the last seven years.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/cbo-gop-obamacare-repeal-plan-236007

Jesus loving Christ I can't imagine what would happen if 52 million people were uninsured. This would be devastating economically, socially, etc.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 13, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Reik posted:

It said by 2026 the premiums will be about 10% lower than the ACA projection, but that's a terrible comparison. Because the AHCA removes the essential health benefits, the benefits covered under the two different plans will be completely different.

I'm convinced the CBO did not consult anyone with a strong understanding of the health insurance industry for this report.

I think it's more that the shifts involved are so complex and massive they didn't have time to calculate them- the economic effect analysis was left out.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I don't see hospital shareholders being happy about this, and they're a pretty loud group.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

I think it's more that the shifts involved are so complex and massive they didn't have time to calculate them- the economic effect analysis was left out.

If you're doing projections about health insurance and you don't project premiums, insurer paid amounts, and member liability amounts, you have no business doing those projections.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

This is measuring cost of medical insurance?

So basically a 64 year old is going to have an increase of $12,000 if they make about minimum wage?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Lote posted:

So basically a 64 year old is going to have an increase of $12,000 if they make about minimum wage?

Because the percent of income calculations for the subsidies didn't look at age, just income, older people right got a TON of subsidies. Essentially they absorbed the entire 3 to 1 age curve in to the subsidies.

Also, in that example the Cost Sharing Subsidies make that silver plan cover 87% of expected medical costs, but the AHCA plan would only cover 65%.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It's Trump & Co. so, what's the catch?

Are they opening up CHCs for religious chicanery, too?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Obamacare almost directly led to a growth in the healthcare industry employment

http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2016/07/what-is-the-effect-of-obamacare-economy-000164

If 14 million people lose their insurance we will most certainly see a rise in unemployment.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

Obamacare almost directly led to a growth in the healthcare industry employment

http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2016/07/what-is-the-effect-of-obamacare-economy-000164

If 14 million people lose their insurance we will most certainly see a rise in unemployment.

Here it is, for whoever asked

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Ze Pollack posted:

It's because they're massively reducing federal matching rates and placing the burden on the states, along with the block grant. This is basically going to gently caress Medicaid over pretty badly because enrollment eligibility is handled at the state level.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Accretionist posted:

It's Trump & Co. so, what's the catch?

Are they opening up CHCs for religious chicanery, too?

I believe that is all funding they're taking away from planned parenthood.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lote posted:

That's a "net premium paid", so yes.

The CBO (page 34) shows a 21 year old making 26.5k has

current: 5100 premium, gets 3400 credit, thus is paying 1700 for insurance.
AHCA: 3900 premium, gets 2450 credit, thus is paying 1450 for insurance.

The 64 year old has a 15.3k premium now with 13.6k credit, vs 19.5k premium under AHCA, with a 4900 credit.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

It's because they're massively reducing federal matching rates and placing the burden on the states, along with the block grant. This is basically going to gently caress Medicaid over pretty badly because enrollment eligibility is handled at the state level.

You'll have situations like Texas where the cut off is some ridiculously low income amount I think it's less than 200 dollars. It's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Reik posted:

Uh... :lol: ?

It would make sense that premiums are lower if some of hte costliest individuals are removed from the plans, that insurers offer lower coverage plans, and a myriad of other reasons. What hsould be hammered home, besides the loss of coverage, is that the 337 billion 'savings' to the federal government will likely have to be made up by the state and local governments, which results in higher taxes, increased cuts to infratstructure, educations, etc... and higher rates on things like licensing and the DMV - the things that impact people not affected by medicare/medicaid.