Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

scoring is fun but if the games are exciting in general then i don't care if it's a 2-1 game or a 6-5 game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Dallas last season was the most entertaining non playoff hockey in decades. Every other game would end 6-5 with the lead changing hand multiple times in the third.

I like a close checked game and blah blah, but all else the same, I'll take the game with more goals, every time.

Let's not talk about this season.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

DJExile posted:

scoring is fun but if the games are exciting in general then i don't care if it's a 2-1 game or a 6-5 game.
100% this.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

JoelJoel posted:

Dallas last season was the most entertaining non playoff hockey in decades. Every other game would end 6-5 with the lead changing hand multiple times in the third.

I like a close checked game and blah blah, but all else the same, I'll take the game with more goals, every time.

Let's not talk about this season.

Rangers have also been pretty fun but what usually happens in the last part of the season/playoffs is that refs put away their whistles, obstruction and poo poo goes up, scoring goes down and every team tightens up so most goals are scored off of grinding it out in the corners and boring poo poo like deflections from crappy wristers off the blueline

Pens were actually pretty fun last year in the playoffs though as I recall

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Levitate posted:

Ovechkins not even vaguely on Crosby's level anymore so lol at comparing them like you're NBC

50 goals and a Rocket Richard is sooooo last season.

What you really want to say is Ovi sucks cause he has no cup.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

HappyHippo posted:

No they aren't. The supply is fixed but the demand depends on the price.

Negative. When demand for the good does not change despite a change in price that good is said to be inelastic.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

fits posted:

its not like anyone else was doing anything with those minutes

There was one game that season where Bure played over 40 minutes. It was mind boggling.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Levitate posted:

Never, his days as an elite goal scorer are over. Crosby's both a better player and goal scorer and better playoff performer

RIP Ovechkin, you scored for awhile

Why are you being mean to Ovi?

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Levitate will like ovi when he's 43 and playing for the rangers.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Chad Sexington posted:

Why are you being mean to Ovi?

because he's mean to Lundqvist :mad:

Wonderllama posted:

Maybe if he can still just stand in one place and hit dingers on the PP

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wonderllama posted:

He will be fighting for a roster spot with Tanner Glass and Dan Girardi though.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Today I got some stuff in the mail. I wasn't expecting things so soon. FlyingLemur is cool, I have another jersey, and I encourage more weird trades for stuff.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I would say Pacioretty has a good chance too.

Wow I did not realize Patches was second place in goals this season.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Negative. When demand for the good does not change despite a change in price that good is said to be inelastic.

Fixed supply does not imply fixed demand.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

whoa whoa I'm not supposed to know what you weirdos look like

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

I wonder how much TOI has to do with it. The top scorers used to regularly average 20 or more minutes a night. Now look at the top. There's a few guys like Mcdavid and Kane doing that but there's also a ton of guys averaging less than 20. When Ovechkin scored 65 goals he played 23 minutes a night. When Sid hit 120 he played 20:46. This year Sid plays about a minute less at 19:46 and Mcdavid plays just around 21 mins a night which is on the high end of ice time.

Teams just don't lean on star players as much as they used to it seems. And of course there's less powerplays.

e: btw I still find it absolutely insane that Bure averaged 26:52 of ice time in 2000-01. Fuckin lol.

For reference:

Ovechkin
G/60 this year: 1.29
G/60 last year: 1.87
G/60 in 07/08 (when he scored 65): 2.05

Crosby
P/60 this year: 3.53
P/60 in 09/10 (season he got 109 pts and averaged 21:57 TOI. couldn't find data for 06/07 season): 3.68

ovechkin is clearly having a bad season in terms of his scoring rate, which is probably driven by a low S% and is a bigger driver of his underperformance than TOI (i'm too lazy to confirm these assumptions with math). crosby otoh hasn't seen as big of a drop off in productivity in points as ovi has in goals, which maybe suggests that TOI is a bigger driver of lower #s for sid than it is for ovi :pseudo:

OTOH as players age (even the elite ones) they probably can only maintain the same productivity with less TOI

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Also points are easier to accrue than goals.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Regarding potentially no 40 goal scorers: I'm fine with that on one hand.

On the other hand, a household name like Gretzky could potentially do wonders for the sport. That's something hockey sorely lacks compared to the other three major sports.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Kucherov. It just rolls off the tongue

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

Konecny takes a high stick from Seth Jones, who then was chirping him. Konecny shows him the blood and skates away as Jones takes a double minor.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cleaning up some crux on an old hard drive, saw this.

http://i.imgur.com/vFUy5Yh.gifv

I think it deserved more attention than it got.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

xzzy posted:

oddly enough I just watched JT Miller trip himself with his own stick between his legs

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Hopefully everyone in the West gets to pad their goal totals against a terrible expansion team for the next few years. The Vegas Goldens will save hockey.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

pseudodragon posted:

This actually seems legit though. If scalpers are getting $100 or whatever per ticket, why shouldn't the team cut out the middleman? If I'm paying for a game I'd rather it go to the team than some random dude...

It's not like anyone got tickets for face value anyways.

Yeah because I'm sure the scalpels will totally just go out of business rather than just charging more to the crazy Toronto fans

HappyHippo posted:

No they aren't. The supply is fixed but the demand depends on the price.

The demand is inelastic within the capacity of the stadium and just about any price the team wants to charge

Yes there's hypothetically a level at which enough people will say gently caress it but it's well above current prices.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Laine is gonna hit 50 easy

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

xzzy posted:

Look at that solid defense from Roman Polak

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

flyers dead, so what

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I would say Pacioretty has a good chance too.

Literally everyone above 30 has at least a semblance of a chance.
Laine in particular, since teams often rebound a game or two after they've been mathematically eliminated from Playoff Contention and he could easily ride that wave.
Patches could potentially get up to 40, but the Habs just seem to be struggling to ignite their offence and the 1C is still up in the air.
Crosby should defo get it.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Flyers drop their 3rd straight, all in regulation. They were tied going into the final period of each game.

1 for 8 on PP tonight, 2 for their last 22. They had no shots on their last power play at the tail end of the game with the goalie pulled. They also had no shots on an albeit slightly brief 5 on 3.

I'm not sure what has to be done, but it's probably going to be the same bullshit next season.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The demand is inelastic within the capacity of the stadium and just about any price the team wants to charge

That's the supply that's fixed, not the demand. The price is (usually) below market price (although they don't always sell out, so not always), so the demand exceeds it and there's a shortage. But the demand is not inelastic. Anyway this is a dumb derail.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/timringTV/status/841466406176608257

the tank is on

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Needs a waffle flying by

https://twitter.com/grayisthecolor/status/841313664728735744

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

holy poo poo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The lord's work, right there.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

With the win, Columbus sets new franchise records for wins (44) and points (94) in a single season. Lots of time to build on it, too.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Schlesische posted:

Patches could potentially get up to 40, but the Habs just seem to be struggling to ignite their offence and the 1C is still up in the air.

Yeah, but Pacioretty has been the habs offence for the last couple months. Besides playing through an injury to start the season, he's looked better than he ever has. (And with the way the habs are playing he'll have plenty of chances for empty net goals.)

Last year I wasn't sure about giving him the C, but he's earned it this year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/myregularface/status/841487656936755200
:shlick:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Duke Chin got his bourgeois beer

Also he has a good shirt

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

MAF getting beat on a wraparound?! Why I never!!!

Johnny Hockey is legit tho, think I'm going to have to pull for the Flames or the Sharks from the west this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

In other news, Marchand continues to be hot fire

• Locked thread