Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pissflaps posted:

There was a 'labour for independence' campaign but everyone in it joined the SNP straight after.

The SNP got 45% in Holyrood 2011 elections so it's not as if we couldn't see it coming.

Edit: 67%, my prediction for the result in Indyref2.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Which way?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Flaps is right and it will be Quebexit tight, especially if Scotland is already out of the EU by the referendum, which will take some wind out of the SNP's sails in some respects but also give them a "these fuckers never listened to us" advantage.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lord of the Llamas posted:

The SNP got 45% in Holyrood 2011 elections so it's not as if we couldn't see it coming.

Edit: 67%, my prediction for the result in Indyref2.

67%? No way. Not unless something really, really dramatic happens.

Within 1% either way.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Can Jeremy Corbyn convince the people of Scotland to remain

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I've run the numbers and he's not the guy to do it

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
He couldn't convince me to brush my teeth.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

You should brush your teeth twice daily pissflapd

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
53% to exit and destroy the festering shithole that is great britaine. Polls to show neck and neck, but the catastrophuckery that is brexit will be a good few years further up poo poo creek by then, and the writing on the wall will be far more obvious. Hell, the tories are already starting to go a bit lord of the flies.

Of course, given that it seems I could get grandfathered citizenship and potentially retain/regain my EU rights so I'm a bit biased- but do a runner scotland folks, it's for your own drat good and you know it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
'Brexit shows why leaving a political and fiscal union with your most important trading partner is a bad idea....so this is why Scotland should leave the UK'.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

Do you identify as a teeth brusher?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pissflaps posted:

67%? No way. Not unless something really, really dramatic happens.

Within 1% either way.

It's a good nothing nothing dramatic tends to happen these days.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

The referendum won't happen because by 2019 Theresa May will have declared herself lord protector of the British isles

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Pissflaps posted:

'Brexit shows why leaving a political and fiscal union with your most important trading partner is a bad idea....so this is why Scotland should leave the UK'.

I reckon quite a few people might see the EU as a more important trading partner than the UK

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Don't worry guys, as bad as Brexit goes at least you aren't trying to pass a bill that literally says "Murder the Poor"

as far as I know. The tories don't hate the NHS this much, right?

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
If I had a vote on Scottish independence I would vote yes in a heartbeat. I know a lot of people south of the border who feel the same way.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A big flaming stink posted:

Don't worry guys, as bad as Brexit goes at least you aren't trying to pass a bill that literally says "Murder the Poor"

We'll get there. The Tories hate anything that isn't private ownership, even for things that should be state provided, where they will piss tons of cash away to give the illusion of the free market and competition, regardless of whether the state could do it better.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Plucky Brit posted:

If I had a vote on Scottish independence I would vote yes in a heartbeat. I know a lot of people south of the border who feel the same way.

If you move here you can get a vote.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

mfcrocker posted:

I reckon quite a few people might see the EU as a more important trading partner than the UK
Yeah they're off by a factor of nearly four and almost none of them speak a foreign language (a trend that is accelerating, primary school french or no), but that is certainly a feeling you could have.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I'm gonna go with Tories say no to referendum before brexit, maybe a supreme court challenge for the fun of it

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
For maximum hilarity, the Tories should call for one before Article 50 is triggered.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So Labour abstained on the EU nationals amendment when it came back to the Lords. loving typical.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Well they said they wouldn't continue to vote against the government if the commons rejected the amendments a second time so it was pretty well signposted

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

It's a complete poo poo show of a reason that Baroness Hayter gave, though:

quote:

Lady Hayter of Kentish Town, the shadow Brexit minister, is winding up now for Labour.

She says the government has rejected the Lords’ stance on EU nationals.

She says Labour will continue to press the government to provide certainty to EU nationals. Labour will consider how it can use “imaginative” parliamentary routes to continue to press its case.

She says the government has made it clear that it will not back down on this.

Labour will continue to fight for the interests of EU nationals, she says.

I know a rather unimaginative parliamentary route: voting for an amendment on primary legislation.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Well yeah, there's not much to be gained from ping-pong at this rate, the commons can just skip the lords if there's too much back-and-forth and then you have ENEMIES OF THE PEOPLE again.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Plucky Brit posted:

For maximum hilarity, the Tories should call for one before Article 50 is triggered.

like this week then?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Labour abstain on the parliamentary sovereignty amendment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Water wet, sky grey, lords not able to overrule commons, more news at 11.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

They could if Labour had a spine.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

TinTower posted:

How?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah I mean, Baroness Royall was pretty clear that if the government are going to ignore 100-strong defeats there's gently caress all benefit in ping-pong, the amendments aren't getting accepted and that's that.

There's honestly no benefit to firing this amendment back, it's political suicide.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mfcrocker posted:

They might.

They'd be very wrong.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

This.

Ultimatwly the commons can push things through, and May has the numbers.
Even with Labour abstention, she still pressed everyone enough that even Ken Clarke returned to the party line.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah I mean, Baroness Royall was pretty clear that if the government are going to ignore 100-strong defeats there's gently caress all benefit in ping-pong, the amendments aren't getting accepted and that's that.

There's honestly no benefit to firing this amendment back, it's political suicide.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/841388239491612673

Rather strange definition of "every stage".

mehall posted:

This.

Ultimatwly the commons can push things through, and May has the numbers.
Even with Labour abstention, she still pressed everyone enough that even Ken Clarke returned to the party line.

They keep putting the amendment back in. Again and again and again, if needs be.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TinTower posted:

What benefit is there to delaying the inevitable by a few months more? Is it not better that Brexit happens before a 2020 general election than after it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose one of the advantages of being a lib dem is you can engage in worthless stunts for zero benefit because really, what do you have to lose?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

What benefit is there to delaying the inevitable by a few months more? Is it not better that Brexit happens before a 2020 general election than after it?

The Lords is a pisspoor revising chamber if it refuses to revise lovely legislation.

OwlFancier posted:

I suppose one of the advantages of being a lib dem is you can engage in worthless stunts for zero benefit because really, what do you have to lose?

Sorry, that seems to be Corbyn's modus operandi now; after all, he keeps protesting against himself.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TinTower posted:

They keep putting the amendment back in. Again and again and again, if needs be.

How do you imagine this goes? Because I imagine it goes like this:

Back to Commons.
Passed without amendment.
Back to Commons.
Back to Commons.
Public support drops for Lords.
Back to Commons.
Support drops further.
etc

At the very extreme edge, this goes a whole year without the country somehow setting itself on fire and the Parliament Act is invoked and it becomes law.

Why is this useful?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Seriously TT, you seem to not actually understand how Parliament works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No no I have a great idea, let's destroy the one minute semblance of a check on parliament's power because it would be top bantz.

• Locked thread