Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lava Spike was unplayable for like 8 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

Elyv posted:

Lava Spike was unplayable for like 8 years

You talk pretty big smack for someone about to take 5 off this Lava Spike spliced w/ Glacial Ray

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Jitte and Top are both miserable to play against albeit for completely different reasons and are rightfully banned from Modern, and it wouldn't surprise me if Top eventually eats a Legacy ban for boring opponents too much.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Konda was a cool card

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I remember back in the day when misetings.com was still a thing, a photoshopped card "Umezawa's Jetta" that was a car that crashed throw a guard rail on a steep hillside road.

"The only thing more broken that Umezawa's Jitte was his Jetta."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ThePeavstenator posted:

To be fair, that had been true of fall sets going back to Innistrad, each one was the new highest selling when it came out. Kaladesh was the set that broke that streak which is why WotC is freaking the gently caress out about standard.

It's not that I'm disagreeing with that, but Theros block wasn't really that poorly received in reality. People have bad memories of "low power" but it was sandwiched between two popular blocks where its mechanics did a bunch of work, so I don't really buy that it was as hated as some people claim.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Ravnica+Kamigawa standard was tons of fun. I had an great Wee Dragonaughts deck with the Lava Spike + Desperate Ritual + Izzet Guildmage combo.

Jitte was a bit broken but since it's been out of Standard it has grown on me.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Angry Grimace posted:

It's not that I'm disagreeing with that, but Theros block wasn't really that poorly received in reality. People have bad memories of "low power" but it was sandwiched between two popular blocks where its mechanics did a bunch of work, so I don't really buy that it was as hated as some people claim.

I would be thrilled to see standard attendance numbers of theros standard compared to now. I bet its pretty shocking.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I would be thrilled to see standard attendance numbers of theros standard compared to now. I bet its pretty shocking.

That stupid foil land promotion they've got going has revived Standard attendance, but nobody is happy about playing. They're just paying $30 (the required six events at $5 each) for some shiny lands.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

I thought everyone hated Theros standard...

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

We all said it was real bad, but kept on playing anyway.

This is so much worse that people actually stopped.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Theros standard let me play dictate of the twin gods in the same deck as boros reckoner and was therefore the best not actually the best nor a good combo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cactrot posted:

We all said it was real bad, but kept on playing anyway.

This is so much worse that people actually stopped.

That was a 3 deck standard but those decks were more interesting and fun to play.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Umezawa's Jitte is a cool card and equipment needs to be somewhere between it and the swords to be worth a poo poo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Umezawa's Jitte is a cool card and equipment needs to be somewhere between it and the swords to be worth a poo poo

It's not a cool card or a fun card. It's way overpowered and bad design.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

It's not a cool card or a fun card. It's way overpowered and bad design.

It can't even beat a Gurmag Angler when equipped to old Thalia. Bad card 0/10 would not equip again.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

It can't even beat a Gurmag Angler when equipped to old Thalia. Bad card 0/10 would not equip again.

have you considered putting it on excellently designed and developed card true-name nemesis instead

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Elyv posted:

have you considered putting it on excellently designed and developed card true-name nemesis instead

Jitte on mirran crusader is a beautiful thing

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
But he on anything with first or double strike is amazing. Swords too.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Elyv posted:

No. Screw that card and whoever designed it and anyone who plays with it.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Jitte on mirran crusader is a beautiful thing

Especially when it also has a Batterskull.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So if we're in a three deck format (really two) and they think it's fine and standard doesn't need any bannings, why did they ban anything in the first place? Reflector Mage would be broken in Copy Cat, but they could fix that by banning the loving Cat. We had Vehicles, GB Delirium, Marvel, and best deck of the format by a wide margin UW Flash (according to WotC, and opposite of every pro player's judgment) and they thought that banning cards from each deck would improve diversity. It didn't. Why not ban the stupid Cat and unban the rest until they figure out what actually needs to be banned?

I fear Standard has been treated like Konami treats Yugioh - print overpowered expensive mythics, ban older cards that have already been sold to get people to buy the new poo poo, repeat. I'm real suspicious that banning Copter was just so Heart of Koran would see more play.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Especially when it also has a Batterskull.

And sword of fire and ice or sword of war and peace

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hellsau posted:

So if we're in a three deck format (really two) and they think it's fine and standard doesn't need any bannings, why did they ban anything in the first place?
Remember when they tried to shorten the Standard rotation and then immediately went back on it when people went "but my cards"?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I still remember when people didn't realize how loving absurd Jitte was when it first came out. My friends and I made sure to grab as many Rats' Nest precons as we could find and as many copies for cheap as we could.

We also made sure to pick up Damping Matrixes.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

That was a 3 deck standard but those decks were more interesting and fun to play.

It was a "3 deck Standard" ....kind of. The most dominant decks were around 4 decks, but Mono-Black wasn't actually so good as to legit push everything else out of the format. GW Aggro, Mono-Blue, RG Monsters, UW Control, Red Aggro and Mono-B were all decks that saw reasonable amounts of play during that period. There were also fringe strategies that saw play like Mono-Green Devotion. Games were actually quite good with most of those matches, as well.

I think people legit misremember what that era was like because they were salty about Thoughtseize into Pack Rat.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 13, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

MURDERGOATS is the only time I've had fun actually playing a Standard deck in years, rather than all of my Standard-related fun coming from trolling people with budget piles.

THS-KTK Standard was alright for this too because of $50 Heroic Red but that deck was kinda mindless. Meanwhile I laughed in every MURDERGOATS match I played. RIP bhsman or whoever came up with that...thing.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

And sword of fire and ice or sword of war and peace

I've only assembled the fabled Crusader, SoFI, Jitte, Batterskull combo once, against 4 color Delver. I won that game. Crusader with Jitte and SoFI is much more common and every bit as game-ending. I keep thinking War and Peace deserves a sideboard slot but it's not as good as Feast and Famine and it's really only good against exactly one deck (Miracles) and tbh I'd rather have the 2nd Cataclysm before the first RW Sword. All the swords except for Body and Mind are justifiable though, imo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

MURDERGOATS is the only time I've had fun actually playing a Standard deck in years, rather than all of my Standard-related fun coming from trolling people with budget piles.

THS-KTK Standard was alright for this too because of $50 Heroic Red but that deck was kinda mindless. Meanwhile I laughed in every MURDERGOATS match I played. RIP bhsman or whoever came up with that...thing.

That deck is still word filtered in the IRC to this day

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

I see she found it necessary to watermark this totally original comic with photoshopped magic cards on it.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Hellsau posted:

... Why not ban the stupid Cat and unban the rest until they figure out what actually needs to be banned?

They will never ban a card that is in the most resent set currently being drafted and sold.

"Here is our latest product to buy... btw you can't use 2 cards we banned in standard"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DoctorOozy posted:

They will never ban a card that is in the most resent set currently being drafted and sold.

"Here is our latest product to buy... btw you can't use 2 cards we banned in standard"

They did that two decades ago

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

It was a "3 deck Standard" ....kind of. The most dominant decks were around 4 decks, but Mono-Black wasn't actually so good as to legit push everything else out of the format. GW Aggro, Mono-Blue, RG Monsters, UW Control, Red Aggro and Mono-B were all decks that saw reasonable amounts of play during that period. There were also fringe strategies that saw play like Mono-Green Devotion. Games were actually quite good with most of those matches, as well.

I think people legit misremember what that era was like because they were salty about Thoughtseize into Pack Rat.

Thoughtseize is a fine magic card, people may not like playing against it but it is a well constructed card and in a well balanced format it hits the sweet spot of powerful but fair. Pack Rat was a loving abomination, What a miserable card for limited and constructed, it absolutely ruined the format.

E: You can't ban Emrakul/Copter/whatever and then unban it. That goes for any card banned in standard, once it is dead it needs to stay dead, I don't think unbanning a card in standard could ever be the correct decision even if the original banning was completely wrong.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 13, 2017

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

I've only assembled the fabled Crusader, SoFI, Jitte, Batterskull combo once, against 4 color Delver. I won that game. Crusader with Jitte and SoFI is much more common and every bit as game-ending. I keep thinking War and Peace deserves a sideboard slot but it's not as good as Feast and Famine and it's really only good against exactly one deck (Miracles) and tbh I'd rather have the 2nd Cataclysm before the first RW Sword. All the swords except for Body and Mind are justifiable though, imo.

I mostly prefer WaP because it interacts with mirran crusader's protections more favorably. If I played fewer or no mirran crusaders, I'd probably have FaF instead.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

DoctorOozy posted:

They did that 2 months ago. You still have to buy Kaladesh to draft Aether Revolt.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

DoctorOozy posted:

You mean like Smuggler's Copter?

Marketing New Brain posted:

Thoughtseize is a fine magic card, people may not like playing against it but it is a well constructed card and in a well balanced format it hits the sweet spot of powerful but fair. Pack Rat was a loving abomination, What a miserable card for limited and constructed, it absolutely ruined the format.

Pack Rat was the beginning of "answer this 2 mana card immediately or lose" game play, huh? I never really thought about that.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The only good Standard formats in recent memory were around Khans/Fate (DTK hosed stuff up some and Origins/BFZ were death) and INN-RTR.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

suicidesteve posted:

Pack Rat was the beginning of "answer this 2 mana card immediately or lose" game play, huh? I never really thought about that.

Even then, there were answers that could you catch you back up if you drew them later, and even severely punish your opponent for going too all-in on the rats.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Marketing New Brain posted:

Pack Rat was literally a limited bulk rare before Innistrad rotated. It slotted well in Mono black devotion, of course, but it's prominence was solely an artifact of Theros being the most drastic reduction of power level in the game to date.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

Don't forget RW Burn. Boros Charm + Lightning Strike + Warleader's Helix + Eidolon of the Great Revel was such a fun deck. :allears:

Also, I maindecked a singleton copy of Harness by Force by which I killed so many people who overextend with Desecration Demon. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

Pack Rat was literally a limited bulk rare before Innistrad rotated. It slotted well in Mono black devotion, of course, but it's prominence was solely an artifact of Theros being the most drastic reduction of power level in the game to date.

More than urzas->masques?

AlternateNu posted:

Don't forget RW Burn. Boros Charm + Lightning Strike + Warleader's Helix + Eidolon of the Great Revel was such a fun deck. :allears:

Also, I maindecked a singleton copy of Harness by Force by which I killed so many people who overextend with Desecration Demon. :v:

I maindecked dictate of the twin gods and boros reckoner because boros charm, boros reckoner, and twin gods is infinite damage

• Locked thread