Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
drat it, quote isn't edit

ed balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

TheWevel posted:

drat, they're selling their Fiestas for 4k over sticker. That's downright egregious.

edit: ~market adjustment~

They're probably selling them for a lot more than that if you're gullible enough. They are literally the stereotype of a sleezy dealership.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

AvesPKS posted:

Much easier to get into trouble with too. I got my first ticket with the car not realizing how quickly third gear can get out of hand when using an on-ramp to the highway.

I recall one year that the WRX was quicker to 60 than the STI because of the 5 speed vs 6 speed.

Anybody who's looking at or getting a GTI, and doesn't want to get a tune, look into the JB1. My only substantive complain with the car was acceleration and the JB1 fixes this for me.

Third tops out around 90 in the R :P

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

veedubfreak posted:

Third tops out around 90 in the R :P

Yeah the cop had me on radar at 86 in a 65 which is reckless driving in Maryland not to mention points points points, but luckily he didn't show up to court (knocks on head with fist).

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I'm definitely leaning that way. The JB4 install looks like a lot more of a pain in the rear end and isn't easily removable.

That was my take as well. I'm not sure if I'm going to modify the car further and reading a lot revealed you really need to do more mods than just the JBx to make it worthwhile to go for the JB4 over the JB1. Plus the JB1 was butt easy to install. Visualizing which plugs to hook into was the hardest part for me, and still the whole thing took about half an hour, including taking off the bottom shield to get to plug D.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 13, 2017

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

oxbrain posted:

Bill Pierre Ford?

They're the ones who got famous for advertising a fusion at $16k and then finagling the actual sale price over $30k after add ons. They're the loving scum of the earth and it's astonishing that Ford still works with them.

It was Harris Ford in Lynnwood. Pretty sure part of the same group because I spoke with Bill Pierre Ford and they told me the car was up there. Guess I won't be doing business with them.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Pryor on Fire posted:

Car dealers are terrible. They asked $49K (~8K over MSRP and 7k over what their website says) for the golf R that has been sitting in the sun for 6 months near me when I walked in. And I personally know they have sold several below retail this year.

There should really be some consumer protections against that kind of horseshit.

I may have mentioned it before but I recall the dealer where I bought my FiST while I was waiting for service last year had a fresh of the truck GT350 in the showroom with a the window sticker showing at least a $20,000 mark-up, despite being 1.) covered in dust, with some white plastic still left on, 2.) clearly not detailed, and 3.) had an obvious 4-6" scratch across the front bumper along with a front plate install that looks like it was done with a Black & Decker with 10% battery left.

Not to mention from what I've heard, Ford is especially stingy about who they allocate these out to from the get-go, and after somehow managing to get a hold of one (as a floor model no doubt at the start of Summer) they just immediately park it in the middle of the showroom looking just slightly better than the preowned Base Mustang parked behind it with a smug rear end +$20,000 'market adjustment' on the Monroney.

Seriously, even though car dealerships will never change despite how much they still continue to try...the fact that the GM clearly didn't care about any of this was pathetic and spoke volumes about the operation in general. I should have just took that as a sign to never return since the during the next visit they shamelessly tried to hustle me over needing new rear brakes at 15,000mi.

Etrips posted:

Is there anyway to make the RS's ride less ... harsh? I personally do not mind it (I actually thought it was going to be a lot worse), but wifey thinks I'm going to end up shattering my spine (slight exaggeration).

As already stated I think your best shot would be the tires, maybe for now drop the PSI down to match whatever is specified on the door jamb (if you haven't done so already). That aside, I think the only other viable idea would be to pinpoint a different set of tires and/or wheels. In my experience I kinda enjoy how my winter set up gives me a nice reprieve from the hard-edged character of the FiST (and makes it feel even more insanely tossible). These cars are quite compromised by default and I guess you can either accept and deal or just go buy a GTI (which is ok).

TheWevel posted:

drat it, quote isn't edit

ed balls

lol u had me thinking i was the one fkn up for a second when i saw that m8

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

quote:

Price after dealer discounts listed on vehicle details page is $29,425.00. Payment is $363 per month for 84 months. Offer expires midnight 03-13-2017. $2,942.50 down. 3.9% APR for 84 months. $33,434.50 total of all payments.

This is on a $4k marked up Focus ST from Harris Ford. Holy Christ.

I don't know why but these terrible car dealerships are fascinating to me.

edit: In all seriousness I recommend using Costco Autos. It was the easiest process and I got my absolutely fine, completely reasonable and boring Tiguan for like 6k under invoice. Maybe you can do that with a GTI.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 13, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Even good dealerships are still predatory and thus, poo poo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

just go to the ford website and put the car you want in your cart, and then hit checkout.

unless, of course, dealerships make a bunch of money being shitbags, and the owners use that ill gotten money to influence or enter politics.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
For those of you with an R, any regrets? Would you still get the R over a GTI?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Residency Evil posted:

No ragrets. Well other than buying it a month too early and getting hosed out of about 10g that my TDI would have been worth on buyback. If I had bought a normal GTI I'd have ended up regretting that though.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

TheWevel posted:

edit: In all seriousness I recommend using Costco Autos. It was the easiest process and I got my absolutely fine, completely reasonable and boring Tiguan for like 6k under invoice. Maybe you can do that with a GTI.

I didn't have a Costco near me when I bought my FoST, but I signed up anyway to use their car buying program. It was worth it. Very streamlined and no hassle.

And, in my case, they took my info and had a dealership contact me before I signed up for the membership. I didn't purchase the membership until I was ready to actually buy the car.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 13, 2017

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
As ostentatious as it is, I really want the new Civic Type R - Just really looks like it will be so much drat fun. If it's 30 grand, and all signs point to that being the case, I'll definitely get one. The only things I am concerned about are the frankly insane 20 inch rims in the city, and the front and rear spoiler/diffuster etc getting really chewed up if I ever street park it.
I wonder if the US insurance rates on it will be stratospheric, or if it won't be much more than an Si was. Anyone else plan to snag one?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

PabloBOOM posted:

I think most of the DSG's advantage 0-60 is down to the launch control and the so-satisfying dual clutch gear changes. Definitely try one if you never have and aren't a stick shift die hard. Nothing can really top a good manual, but I also seriously love the DSG for my DD purposes. It does have some quirks without the typical torque converter, and it downshifting to a stop takes some getting used to.

As someone who drives a lot for work in city traffic the DSG is a godsend. I briefly considered manual but really for 90% of the driving I do I really couldn't justify it.

I've had a bit of the low speed shudders people talk about but it's no real worry, and never had a problem downshifting to a stop.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Residency Evil posted:

Got an R, love the gently caress out of it.

Drove my friends "stage2" gti (software and downpipe) and it didnt do it for me.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

D C posted:

Got an R, love the gently caress out of it.

Drove my friends "stage2" gti (software and downpipe) and it didnt do it for me.

A downpipe and tune MK7 GTI makes more whp and torque than a MK7 R. And not a little. A lot.
Either there was something wrong with your friends car, or he didn't really have what is actually sold as a 'Stage 2' tune.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 14, 2017

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

Residency Evil posted:

I loving love my R.
Comfort mode makes daily driving feel like a normal everyday car that doesn't constantly bump (looking at you RS).
I chose the DSG because I drove manuals for years and had numerous clutches bail at the worst times along with stop and go traffic just gets annoying. Never had issues with automatics with a previous Merc and BMW. Also: Flappy paddles. Never had them before and I now have a bit of a fixation on them.
My favorite activity the last 6 months has been going into the mountains and tossing it around in the snow. Its a hoot.

I had tried just about every car in the market when I bought it. Second choices would have been one of the STs. Anyone driving a Fiesta ST is a car lover cause those are great fun to toss around.

Ended up buying the R because it was only a couple thousand more than the GTIs I was looking at.

Now have it hovering around ~335hp. Friends and coworkers have a bunch of sports cars about x2-3 the total cost of mine (the work we do is sorta relevant so everyone is a bit of a car nut) and they just stand still in comparison on the track and on our midnight freeway racing.

Possible down side: Pretty sure I am going to die in this car. But I will die happy :)

EDIT: For the Seattle area goon looking at Ford dealerships, check out Bellevue AutoNation. Only ones that I had any realistic conversation about buying an ST. The Kirkland guys were absolute assholes and everything was heavily marked up at or above MSRP. After I walked out on them they constantly harassed me on phone, email, and text messages for another 6 months.

CodeJanitor fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 14, 2017

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Etrips posted:

Is there anyway to make the RS's ride less ... harsh? I personally do not mind it (I actually thought it was going to be a lot worse), but wifey thinks I'm going to end up shattering my spine (slight exaggeration).

Check your front springs to make sure the dealer removed the shipping blocks during PDI.

Also the UK owners manual recommends 41 PSI for the front tires and 38 PSI for the rears.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

A downpipe and tune MK7 GTI makes more whp and torque than a MK7 R. And not a little. A lot.
Either there was something wrong with your friends car, or he didn't really have what is actually sold as a 'Stage 2' tune.

Funny wheel drive

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Voltage posted:

As ostentatious as it is, I really want the new Civic Type R - Just really looks like it will be so much drat fun. If it's 30 grand, and all signs point to that being the case, I'll definitely get one. The only things I am concerned about are the frankly insane 20 inch rims in the city, and the front and rear spoiler/diffuster etc getting really chewed up if I ever street park it.
I wonder if the US insurance rates on it will be stratospheric, or if it won't be much more than an Si was. Anyone else plan to snag one?

If they are 30 grand, thats an incredible performance deal. I thought they were projected more around $35k+.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Christobevii3 posted:

Funny wheel drive

It's still mostly FWD and no option of LSDs.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

PaintVagrant posted:

If they are 30 grand, thats an incredible performance deal. I thought they were projected more around $35k+.

I'd guess around $35k. It's also going to have the same problem that the Focus RS has, namely it's the first time that a performance oriented halo model with lots of brand cache is going to be sold in the US so dealers are going to put ridiculous market adjustments on them.

Huge_Midget fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 14, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That Civic looks so horrible.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Agreed.

I love the idea of a type r civic but it screams boy racer. I'm kind of curious about the new SI though.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Residency Evil posted:

I'll bring in a slightly different perspective here. My had an auto MK4 GTI (my first car purchase, hadn't learned stick yet), then a MK5 6 speed GTI for a couple years, both of which I loved. Looking to upgrade, I test drove a MK6 R and was THIS close to signing a ~26k note for it, had the paperwork in front of me and I just balked at the last second. It was everything my MK5 was, just more/better. More wheels driven, more power, nicer interior, etc. But they were all incremental improvements from the GTI.

So I kept shopping, test drove a few other things, and ended up getting a screaming deal on a 2007 6 speed Audi S4 sedan. I know it's not a hot hatch (although it is available in wagon form), but I'm really glad I went with this over the R. Instead of an incremental upgrade from the GTI, it feels like double the car. Double the cylinders, more adult, quattro, and my god, the sound. Perhaps I"ll be singing a different tune when big ticket items start to go wrong (looking at you, timing chain tensioners), but for now, I love it.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

Agreed.

I love the idea of a type r civic but it screams boy racer. I'm kind of curious about the new SI though.
It's the kind of car I would have loved to drive to high school in 2001, but was way, WAY too broke to afford.

Now, I'd be kind of embarrassed to be seen driving it.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
What do you drive now?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Christobevii3 posted:

What do you drive now?

A '16 GTI :rice:

e: I'm 34 and feel like it'd be a bit too "boy racer" for me, but hell, I'm not hating. If you like it, go for it!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

willroc7 posted:

I'll bring in a slightly different perspective here. My had an auto MK4 GTI (my first car purchase, hadn't learned stick yet), then a MK5 6 speed GTI for a couple years, both of which I loved. Looking to upgrade, I test drove a MK6 R and was THIS close to signing a ~26k note for it, had the paperwork in front of me and I just balked at the last second. It was everything my MK5 was, just more/better. More wheels driven, more power, nicer interior, etc. But they were all incremental improvements from the GTI.

So I kept shopping, test drove a few other things, and ended up getting a screaming deal on a 2007 6 speed Audi S4 sedan. I know it's not a hot hatch (although it is available in wagon form), but I'm really glad I went with this over the R. Instead of an incremental upgrade from the GTI, it feels like double the car. Double the cylinders, more adult, quattro, and my god, the sound. Perhaps I"ll be singing a different tune when big ticket items start to go wrong (looking at you, timing chain tensioners), but for now, I love it.

Mk6 R is completely different then the mk7. Mk7 is lightyears better.

BlackMK4 posted:

Sure it had more power but you cant use it, and the traction control cutting in all the time drove me mad.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

D C posted:

Mk6 R is completely different then the mk7. Mk7 is lightyears better.

Well you could say the same thing about the MK6 vs MK7 GTI. The point I was making was comparing the GTI to the R, while adding an option the OP might not have considered, which I think is still valid.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

Check your front springs to make sure the dealer removed the shipping blocks during PDI.

Also the UK owners manual recommends 41 PSI for the front tires and 38 PSI for the rears.

Goddammit. My blocks are still in there after 600 miles. They've come partially unseated from driving. :argh:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I guess I'm not surprised some dealers fail to take out the blocks but holy poo poo how do they miss that

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I don't know if this is frowned upon or not but I did a fun thing in the snow with my RS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQsS6NouCPQ

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KillHour posted:

Goddammit. My blocks are still in there after 600 miles. They've come partially unseated from driving. :argh:

I pulled a shipping block out of my friends 2007 BMW MCoupe last month when I was replacing the suspension for him. It had ~75k miles on it. :v:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

KidDynamite posted:

I don't know if this is frowned upon or not but I did a fun thing in the snow with my RS.

What wheels are those? Are you running winter tires or all seasons?

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

mariooncrack posted:

Agreed.

Car and Driver's spies got some good pics of the sedan version. Not a fan of the wheels but it looks okay.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-honda-civic-si-sedan-spied-news

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

What wheels are those? Are you running winter tires or all seasons?

Blizzak WS80s car is very composed in the snow.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

The only ones frowning upon this are your poor tires.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

KidDynamite posted:

Blizzak WS80s car is very composed in the snow.

What about the wheels though? They look like 5 spoke somethings in the 18" range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

What about the wheels though? They look like 5 spoke somethings in the 18" range.

Oh sorry I'm so used to everyone I know in real life being terrible and saying rims when they mean wheels. Those are Avarus Av15. Here's a better picture.