Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

That was by far my least favorite of the trailers we've gotten, but I'm still hopeful this is good.

I wonder what the oh so terrible secret is they must keep from Diana in this version will be. She's going to be the daughter of Ares or something isn't she?

Isn't she born from clay or something in the comics? Maybe that's the big secret; That she's not human and is actually a mud monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jamesman posted:

Isn't she born from clay or something in the comics? Maybe that's the big secret; That she's not human and is actually a mud monster.

Typical PC Hollywood to change the hero from a Greek goddess to a mud monster just to take a shot at President Trump.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jamesman posted:

We need that Sandman origin scene from Spider-Man 3 but with clay becoming Gal Gadot.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

teagone posted:

Was that a rumor going around? I hope that wasn't a rumor. I'd be fine if they go with either making her unaware of being the daughter of Zeus, or the daughter of Hercules.

Pretty sure the very first trailer has Diana outright say she's the daughter of Zeus. Oh wait, she says she's brought to life by Zeus not that he's her father.

Jamesman posted:

This was changed for the New 52 relaunch a few years ago. Then again, Rebirth brought back a ton of the previous canon back to the front so who the gently caress knows.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 13, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The first arc of Wonder Woman Rebirth was about how a bunch of New 52 stuff was lies, I think?

(In reality it was Rucka retconning stuff he disliked, of course.)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Aphrodite posted:

The first arc of Wonder Woman Rebirth was about how a bunch of New 52 stuff was lies, I think?

(In reality it was Rucka retconning stuff he disliked, of course.)

Yep, it's a 6-part arc, aptly titled "The Lies" that has a "Year One" issue in between each "Lies" issue detailing Diana's origin again. I'm not a fan of the format.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They've essentially got two monthly series going on under one title.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was the original plan for all of the bi-monthly Rebirth titles.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

parallelodad posted:

They've essentially got two monthly series going on under one title.

Rhyno posted:

That was the original plan for all of the bi-monthly Rebirth titles.

Interesting. Has any other comic done something like that before? Was it well received?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't really recall a single book doing that. For a while the Superman books were each telling their own stories while maintaining the weekly connected format though. So you had Man of Steel dealing with the Underworld/Cadmus stuff, Action was doing the Intergang stories and so on. I think they made the two plots thing optional and only Rucka kept the idea.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Green Arrow has been just the same story straight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Green Arrow has been just the same story straight.

As have pretty much all the books though other than WW right?

The only real downside to the advanced shipping is the artists playing musical chairs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Pretty sure the very first trailer has Diana outright say she's the daughter of Zeus. Oh wait, she says she's brought to life by Zeus not that he's her father.

This was changed for the New 52 relaunch a few years ago. Then again, Rebirth brought back a ton of the previous canon back to the front so who the gently caress knows.

Yeah "Brought to life by Zeus" could mean Diana thinks she's born of clay in the film, and that a lightning bolt from Zeus brought her to life or something. I'm thinking they're going straight up New 52 with her origin and making her the natural born daughter of Zeus, with Hippolyta keeping that a secret from her. I really hope she's not the daughter of Ares, but part of me thinks with the way little Diana was grinning at the sight of the sword, she totally is Ares' daughter and ehhhh.

Rebirth is also changing Diana's canon. Her parentage hasn't been explicitly revealed yet, but Rebirth revealed in an issue that Diana got her super strength and powers while she was being held captive in man's world, in a jail cell. The Gods of Olympus disguised as animals visited her in the jail cell and granted her the tools necessary to combat evil.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

teagone posted:

Yep, it's a 6-part arc, aptly titled "The Lies" that has a "Year One" issue in between each "Lies" issue detailing Diana's origin again. I'm not a fan of the format.

Wait, really? They retconned away everything Azzarello wrote? I stopped reading near the end of his run -- sorry if is old news to everyone else.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

Wait, really? They retconned away everything Azzarello wrote? I stopped reading near the end of his run -- sorry if is old news to everyone else.

Yeah, basically. Any arc where Hippolyta has blonde hair has now been rendered a total illusion, blinding Diana from the truth. The truth being that Diana had never actually returned to Paradise Island after leaving it to go to man's world. Part of the conflict in Rebirth is that Diana can't seem to find her way back home. [edit] Personally, I'm not really feeling Rebirth WW. I totally dig Liam Sharp's art though, but I also really miss Cliff Chiang's work.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 13, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently the rumor right now is that WB is courting Matthew Vaughn for Man of Steel 2.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I don't really recall a single book doing that. For a while the Superman books were each telling their own stories while maintaining the weekly connected format though. So you had Man of Steel dealing with the Underworld/Cadmus stuff, Action was doing the Intergang stories and so on. I think they made the two plots thing optional and only Rucka kept the idea.

I miss my Superman Triangle Numbers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently the rumor right now is that WB is courting Matthew Vaughn for Man of Steel 2.

Who would he play?

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 13, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I miss my Superman Triangle Numbers.

They were handy!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

parallelodad posted:

Who would he play?

Zack Snyder's puppet.

Rhyno posted:

They were handy!

They made it feel necessary that I read a number of pretty poor comics among the good ones. So they did their job.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 13, 2017

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

parallelodad posted:

Who would he play?

Zack Snyder. He previously directed X-Men: First Class and... Kingsmen?

Edit: gently caress.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

drat it, you were supposed to say "The Director" and then I was gonna say "The Director? I'm not familiar, is that a newer villain?"

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

parallelodad posted:

drat it, you were supposed to say "The Director" and then I was gonna say "The Director? I'm not familiar, is that a newer villain?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yho7JR7sMB4&t=195s

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Vaughn is a good choice, but only if he's given the freedom I feel WB is hesitant to give one of their directors. A hopefully and joyful Superman movie is something he could deliver.

Also, god drat the Ghost in the Shell movie sounds like a trainwreck. I could accept the excuse "Japanese audiences want to see western stars in their big budget action movies" in a small amount, but it sounds like the movie completely doubles down with defending it rather than just owning it. Motoko is now Mira and she apparently was Japanese at one point but the shadowy agency she works for put her brain in a white body and all this junk. Not to mention the movie also, while being very faithful to some panels from the comics, the whole movie is disjointed and chaotic with very cliche "the organization you're working for is actually evil!" and so on. It just sounds more and more that this is a movie that probably should have never been made. But then the whole idea of adapting an anime into a live action Hollywood film just seems terrible.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
not sure how you can watch Man of Steel and BvS and think WB is hesitant about letting directors do what they want.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

But then the whole idea of adapting an anime into a live action Hollywood film just seems terrible.

I'd sort of like to see Zack Snyder's take on Dragon Ball Z except just as a two-hour long fight scene.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SleepCousinDeath posted:

not sure how you can watch Man of Steel and BvS and think WB is hesitant about letting directors do what they want.

I can sure get that impression from Suicide Squad, though!

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Arist posted:

Suicide Squad was hosed no matter what, and they just released LEGO BATMAN, the complete opposite of Suicide Squad.

edit: We also have Wonder Woman coming out soon, and I haven't heard about any troubles with the production on that.

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 14, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I meant that WB has settled on Zach Synder's style as the WB DCCU house style and everyone has to emulate it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Arist posted:

I thought the rumor is that the hacksaw editing job was due to WB slamming down on the panic button since what they first got out of Ayer was apparently even shittier.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

edit: We also have Wonder Woman coming out soon, and I haven't heard about any troubles with the production on that.

You haven't been paying attention. It's just insider rumours at this point, but word is WW has been plagued by most of the same problems as the other DCEU movies.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
...No, not really? All we have is a third-hand rumors about the film being "a mess," the source of which is one single podcaster citing something they heard somewhere. Otherwise it's had pretty positive press once Patty Jenkins had been hired.

You wanna talk troubled productions, you gotta look at The Flash.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Fair enough, I probably inflated it in my head. I'd rather be wrong anyway.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I know you all talked about it months ago, but I finally saw Dr. Strange, and it was one of my least-favorite Marvel Studios movies. There was a lot of comic relief that didn't fit the tone, which would have been better in a more grounded superhero movie that didn't rely as much on magic and Eastern mysticism and the looming threat of a Lovecraftian "Dark Dimension." If they played it more as a supernatural thriller or Del Toro-esque fantasy-horror movie and not one more generic, focus-grouped Marvel Studios superhero origin story, it would have been so much better.

I'm not a Cumberbatch fan of a fan of Dr. Strange as a character, so that didn't help. He played him just like Downey's Tony Stark -- cocky, pompous, arrogant, spoiled, but still just charming and roguish enough to be likable. Strange really was "magical Stark," and it felt like he was only studying the mystic arts for a week before he was declared the best guy ever at it. That's a pet peeve of mine in anything, where the hero becomes the best way sooner and way easier than anyone should ever be able to, lapping all these people who have been studying or doing the thing for much longer, with more dedication.

Mads Mikkelsen is so great, it's a shame his character was one more generic, forgettable, underwritten Marvel Studios villain who will never be seen again, and was probably forgotten as soon as people left the movie. In a perfect world, Marvel Studios would have the rights to Dr. Doom, and he would be the perfect Doom. Mikkelsen always comes across as wise, cultured, threatening, mysterious, European -- maybe a little understated for Doom, but he can definitely amp up the menace. In this, he was slightly more of a presence than the Dark Elf in Thor 2, who I'm surprised I even remember.

The best was Chiwetel Ejiofor as Mordo. He has gravitas to spare, but he also had some fun with such a stiff, staid, stoic character. Long before they cast Cumberbatch, he was actually my choice to play Dr. Strange. I liked their friendship that developed, and the inevitable scene at the end.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think Lars would be a better Doom, actually.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I think Lars would be a better Doom, actually.

Frederiksen? Or Von Trier?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Mikkelsen

SMP
May 5, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Frederiksen? Or Von Trier?

Mikkelsen

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Oh poo poo! I had no idea he had a brother!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Not only would Mads be a fantastic Doom, but Hugh Dancy would be a pretty good Reed.

• Locked thread