Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
GRW has made me want a Czech 806 IRL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Playing GRW with old dudes owns, Lastnight my dad and one of his buddies (my older bros godfather in fact) were running around doing supply missions and my dad and his friend started just telling old rear end stories from the late 70s and early 80s from when they were stationed in Sinop and Thailand, then hen my dad's buddy realized he was missing his sniper shots due to bullet drop he got super excited and saying things like "Holy poo poo, they have that in games now?! He also kept running my dad over with the armored car and laughing his rear end off about it. He was easily the worst player I've seen so far, but the most fun, too. But he's 67 and this is his first time playing a videogame since Mech Warrior 3 so he gets some slack

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Pesticide20 posted:

Knife this is Variable, over

Noice.

Also, any of you nerds played Hyper Light Drifter?

Super fun and gorgeous pixel game on steam, PSN, XBOX live. Punishingly hard but it never infuriates me.

I highly recommend it if you liked Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past and the like.

Trailer is here:
https://youtu.be/nWufEJ1Ava0

I also definitely recommend a controller vice a mouse and keyboard setup.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 12, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yo it took my friends and me way too long to start doing complex attacks with SVBIEDs.

It is the motherfucking best.

Game of the year. Will remember to record footage next time we play.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The new Torment is pretty legit. Been a while since an rpg gave me that same wtf is going on sense.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Also, it's redundant but the Switch is a loving joke unless you absolutely must have portable console. My life just doesn't warrant one in any capacity really. For the niche cases, like a plane ride, I have my vita.

Sold mine to some 11-year-old at MSRP-ish who was excited as gently caress to get it

The thing has a ton of QC issues--dock scratches screen? Lmao. It was very obviously rushed out the gate. Literally no games other than a port Mario Kart for a long-time. Launched with a couple of $50-60 lovely rear end games that should be pack-ins or $10. Ohhh boy 2013 Skyrim at some point.

Absolutely terrible ergonomics when the joycons are attached, the wii-u tablet feels so much better. Nintendo is nickle and diming hard with the accessories. $70 pro controller, chargeable joycon controller handle is $25 and the one included is just plastic, and the loving charging port is on the bottom. Even the wii-u had it on the top. Like, the thing is marketed to be played that way. But hey, they sell a licensed dock stand!

The biggest kick in the dick though? No way to transfer or backup saves. So if your poo poo gets replaced say goodbye to your Zelda save. I'm sure it'll be patched in at some point, but probably only with their paid online sub poo poo they're doing.

Zelda performs well enough on my wii-u, albeit not great. That said, I'm surprised how poor it runs on the switch considering it's a new system. I get the size and all, but yeah.

So in other words it's just Nintendo as usual. Thanks for reading god bless

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Switch does a lot of things, but none of them particularly well.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

shyduck posted:

The Switch does a lot of things, but none of them particularly well.

My post can be summed up in that it looks really good on paper, but, Nintendo. Also battery life sucks, heh. I'll probably get one in a couple years when its inevitably hacked to poo poo.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 13, 2017

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

My post can be summed up in that it looks really good on paper, but, Nintendo. Also battery life sucks, heh. I'll probably get one in a couple years when its inevitably hacked to poo poo.

There's a video floating around of someone turning theirs on and it plays the old Playstation launch screen. So probably won't have to wait long at all :v:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

There's a video floating around of someone turning theirs on and it plays the old Playstation launch screen. So probably won't have to wait long at all :v:

I think the reason Nintendo is so goofy with saves is because of hacks/exploits. Literally everything they've released in the last like ten years has been hacked to poo poo. Every variation of the DS, etc. The homebrew stuff does really awesome things too. Like, for the wii and I think wii-u now, you can have an external HDD and load games--YOU ALREADY OWN ON DISC--from

Also last bit: The Switch can't use the Wii-u pro controller :mad:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Two Finger posted:

The new Torment is pretty legit. Been a while since an rpg gave me that same wtf is going on sense.

drat. I didn't even know that was out.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

But does it work?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Since when does Nintendo's marketing strategy require its consoles to work?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, Switch generated hella hype and despite all my complaints it's gonna do just fine

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah, Switch generated hella hype and despite all my complaints it's gonna do just fine

I'm going to hold off on it until some hardware revisions I think.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Lmao you mean you'll by their next console, the Switch-U

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Pesticide20 posted:

maybe?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Pesticide20 posted:

When you see the Switch-U turn around 360 degrees and walk away.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Nintendo_business_plan.txt

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Folks complain about some of the animations in HZD but I think they did a good job with facial expressions.

Context: some dude just got smashed against a cliff face by a robo T-Rex

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

:stare:

I need to look into this game.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Folks complain about some of the animations in HZD but I think they did a good job with facial expressions.

Please find the video for this. I need it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Deathy McDeath posted:

Please find the video for this. I need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2scPTFQ0XM

Starts at 2:30.

Spoilers I guess.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
No but for real that trex in the game is loving huge and frightening. The first time I came across it was a helluva moment.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
You can tell it's good when the characters on screen make the same facial expression you do. Goddamn, that game is so good.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Man, Horizon Dawn and Ghost Recon have really bad voice work.

Though the chick doing Karen Bowman knocks it out of the park in the mission briefs.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
yea the lip syncing on that hzd vid is like old shaw bros movie bad. also lmbo at that dudes death animation. and everyone looks like a total rear end in a top hat with all that scrap garbage randomly festooned about them

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

it's gonna be the wii u all over again

not sure what people are seeing in this console that makes them believe otherwise

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
There's a line in Ghost Recon about drinking at Sharky's in Fayetteville. It made me laugh.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
breath of the wild made someone cry while he was describing how much he liked it. nintendo diehards are loving weird man

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Don't count on a revision unless this thing does well.

The only Nintendo systems to never get a major hardware revision were the N64, the Virtual Boy, and the Wii-U. Their 3 biggest flops.

Right now, I'm not convinced the Switch is going to do well. Nintendo's boner for artificial scarcity plus a lovely launch might really gently caress them, because if there's a company that knows how to gently caress themselves, it's Nintendo.

Buca di Bepis posted:

not sure what people are seeing in this console that makes them believe otherwise
It has the diehards chattering, but I've heard little from casual gamers, i.e. almost everybody else. That's definitely not good.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 14, 2017

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

breath of the wild made someone cry while he was describing how much he liked it. nintendo diehards are loving weird man

Zelda fans demanded Nintendo clarify the canon and timeline of the series. Why they needed the poo poo to be connected I have no idea

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FastestGunAlive posted:

Zelda fans demanded Nintendo clarify the canon and timeline of the series. Why they needed the poo poo to be connected I have no idea

for the same reason every gaming series gets a backstory and books and poo poo

nerds

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Nintendo should make themed deodorant

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I used MechJeb for the first time today (I tried out its rover autopilot previously) and holy cow, what a difference it makes. MechJeb owns bones.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Buca di Bepis posted:

Ehhh, I don't think so. I'm guessing the wii-u wasn't sold out initially. They marketed it right and since it's so ~revolutionary~ it's got a lot of buzz, even with the casuals. I was hoping it wouldn't do well, maybe give Nintendo the kick in the dick they need to stop pulling the same clockwork Nintendo BS.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

They really are gushing over it, but I was wrong in my earlier sentiments. It didn't change my life or anything. I still have some minor complaints, but it's actually a really good game. If you guys like Zelda in any capacity, it's worth checking out (on the wii-u, not switch!) The depth is insane, and there's so many minute details. It somehow blends the old and new Zeldas and gives that sense of adventure/exploration. I'm not really one to jump on this crazy of every game being open world, sometimes prefer something more linear. But yeah, it's cool.

Now just imagine a Zelda on actually decent hardware like a ps4 pro lol.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
botw looks alright, but the fact that all these outlets are brushing aside the huge technical problems and some of the more questionable design decisions while they stumble over themselves to give it top marks is a loving joke. nintendos system seller at launch has loving massive framerate issues. what the everloving gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, it's an 8-9 out of 10 at the very best. Not 10 across the board. There was a lot of shortsights, and the FPS drops and hardware struggling to keep up on their debut console is kind of unacceptable. It was originally supposed to be with the wii-u so idk what that has to do with it. It's funny in the BOTW thread when some internet famous random reviewer doesn't give it the perfect reviews they dog pile on his edginess

The wii-u was going to have a nice item/storage organization on the tablet but they stripped it so it wouldn't be "better" than the Switch version lol

Link literally carries around a wii-u tablet.