Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

According to SG1, the entire galaxy is a coniferous forest in the Pacific northwest. It happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Just finished my annual DS9 binge and goddamnit why do I always feel depressed when it's over. The show is like a warm, safe, happy space for me. Can't wait for the documentary.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Delsaber posted:

My go-to for mismatched background terrain is always Jericho and its gentle rolling hills of central Kansas.
It wasn't actually show on-screen, but in one of the more ridiculous seasons of 24 some terrorists stole a nuke in Iowa and then hid out in the mountains. Of Iowa.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Today's map would just be Vancouver=Everywhere.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Astroman posted:

Today's map would just be Vancouver=Everywhere.

Except actually Vancouver

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Duckbag posted:

It's pretty bad, honestly. Sisko punching Q is hilarious though.

Q was a completely different character.

He's supposed to be omnipotent; in TNG if you try to gently caress with him he freeze-dries you, or feeds you to the Borg, or shrinks you into a little puffball and blows you away, or makes you disappear, or brings in some Napoleonic pig-things to stab you. Or changes history so your whole loving civilization never even existed.

But now I guess he's just the Federation's obnoxious neighbor who picks a fight then cries like a bitch when you punch him, or shows up to complain about his woman problems and beg for sex. Okay.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

According to SG1, the entire galaxy is a coniferous forest in the Pacific northwest. It happens.

Or a quarry. Don't forget the quarry episodes.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Lord Hydronium posted:

It wasn't actually show on-screen, but in one of the more ridiculous seasons of 24 some terrorists stole a nuke in Iowa and then hid out in the mountains. Of Iowa.

In the season where they were in NY, they drove a nuke in a truck on the Wantagh Parkway. Anyone from Long Island knows you can't take a truck on the Wantagh! Ha!

....okay how about this one. In the most historically accurate movie ever, Pearl Harbor, they're flying out of Roosevelt Field (then known as Mitchell Field) which is roughly in the middle of Long Island. Cue a shot of planes on a beach surrounded by mountains.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Will Wheaton being a chubby neckbeard as an adult is some manner of cosmic justice.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 1, episode 6 "Q-Less"

VitalSigns posted:

Q was a completely different character.

He's supposed to be omnipotent; in TNG if you try to gently caress with him he freeze-dries you, or feeds you to the Borg, or shrinks you into a little puffball and blows you away, or makes you disappear, or brings in some Napoleonic pig-things to stab you. Or changes history so your whole loving civilization never even existed.

But now I guess he's just the Federation's obnoxious neighbor who picks a fight then cries like a bitch when you punch him, or shows up to complain about his woman problems and beg for sex. Okay.

This isn't far from the truth. I think Q and Vash have the exact same conversation with him begging her to stay with him like five times.

If the last episode was a cheap knockoff of "The Hunted," this one was an even cheaper knockoff of "All Good Things" where Q smugly gloats as he drops hints that no one gets while they're trying to figure out Bad Thing.

The smug gloating is fine enough but, through no fault of DeLancie, both Q and this episode as a whole fell really flat. Probably doesn't help that the Vash character is a dead ringer for a Mary Sue. She's like a female version of The Outrageous Okona.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They couldn't have spent more than 5 minutes on that

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

If the last episode was a cheap knockoff of "The Hunted," this one was an even cheaper knockoff of "All Good Things" where Q smugly gloats as he drops hints that no one gets while they're trying to figure out Bad Thing.

For what it's worth, that episode aired over a year before "All Good Things" :v:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pakled posted:

For what it's worth, that episode aired over a year before "All Good Things" :v:

We are all meganerds in the Star Trek thread on SA, but worry not: your lofty position in the hierarchy above me is secure.

Pedantry aside, my point stands.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pretty sure Wil Wheaton has said that that guy was cast on the basis of the casting director wanting to bone him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MikeJF posted:

Pretty sure Wil Wheaton has said that that guy was cast on the basis of the casting director wanting to bone him.

I like to think that absolutely no one on set that day thought that Wil would grow up to look anything like that dude.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This picture will always make me laugh.

HE STILL IS WEARING THE SWEATER.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WampaLord posted:

This picture will always make me laugh.

HE STILL IS WEARING THE SWEATER.

if he wasn't wearing the sweater, between the looks and Beverly's reaction the audience would probably be all "wait did Q just completely replace Wesley with an entirely different person???"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

We are all meganerds in the Star Trek thread on SA, but worry not: your lofty position in the hierarchy above me is secure.

Pedantry aside, my point stands.
They can't all be winners.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Do you think if I emailed Paramount they'd be able to direct me to one of those Alaskan Rivers? They sound nice, but I've never seen anything like them here.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Well, you know, San Jose is basically just like the Klondike...

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Beachcomber posted:

Do you think if I emailed Paramount they'd be able to direct me to one of those Alaskan Rivers? They sound nice, but I've never seen anything like them here.

If you can recover The Alaskan, you might be able to find out! Though, not surprisingly, IMDB says it was filmed in Alberta anyway.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

MikeJF posted:

Casting director is Dr Frank N Furter.

vermin fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 13, 2017

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Alright who here has a Playstation VR and is currently playing bridge crew? I have to know if it actually managed to be good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kingtheninja posted:

Alright who here has a Playstation VR and is currently playing bridge crew? I have to know if it actually managed to be good.

It's not out till the end of May, so not yet?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Oh, the psn store had a release date of 3.14 when I looked today.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Beachcomber posted:

I'm more curious about how Sherwood Forrest is somehow in Joshua Tree, where there isn't a real tree for hundreds of miles.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Knormal posted:

I'm more curious about how Sherwood Forrest is somehow in Joshua Tree, where there isn't a real tree for hundreds of miles.

It is probably not really to scale.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Knormal posted:

I think that's supposed to be the mountains around Cleveland National Forest, or maybe the Idyllwild/ San Jacinto area. It's all pretty unclear.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Watching "You are Cordially Invited", and Martok's talking about his wife to Worf is hilarious. Proper pussyfooting around that he's basically terrified of her. :allears:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Oh, the psn store had a release date of 3.14 when I looked today.

It got delayed last month or late January, I forget which.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, Martok's wife is amazing. I love how Worf is basically all "just do whatever she says" when Dax knows the only way to earn her respect is to stand up to her.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dax's party looked hella fun too

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So apparently Gene Roddenberry was as perverse as they come.

quote:

1. Troi Almost Had Four Breasts
According to the book Gene Roddenberry: The Myth and the Man Behind Star Trek, Lt. Commander Troi was supposed to have a whole lot of cleavage. Originally, creator Gene Roddenberry imagined Troi as "a four-breasted, oversexed hermaphrodite." Writer Dorothea "DC" Fontana convinced him to change the character. Fontana wrote,

"I honestly believe you will offend most women, and maybe a lot of men with this character. Besides, how are you going to arrange those four provocatively shaped breasts? Four in a row? They had better be small. Two banks of two? Do you know how much trouble women have with the normal number—keeping them out of the way of things, I mean. Four straight up and down? Don’t be silly."

In the end, they decided to give her a standard cleavage, but kept the eye candy.

http://www.thegeektwins.com/2014/06/7-bizarre-facts-about-deanna-trois.html#.WMdbg_nyuUk

...I...uh...fell into this link from another website by accident. Yes.

MikeJF posted:

Let's be honest, we can understand this decision.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gatts posted:

So apparently Gene Roddenberry was as perverse as they come.

http://www.thegeektwins.com/2014/06/7-bizarre-facts-about-deanna-trois.html#.WMdbg_nyuUk

...I...uh...fell into this link from another website by accident. Yes.

Let's be honest, we can understand this decision.

We narrowly escaped this type of Genism only to get into half of all Troi-centric episodes being about someone trying to mind-rape her. Even the last movie has the villain attempting to mind-rape Troi for no apparent reason.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Been reading through the older officially licensed Star Trek comics. They're a blast. I'll post some covers to start out; I may start posting more of actual issues and writeups of the DC ones if there is interest.

Quite a few different publishers of comics have had Star Trek rights over the years. I'll talk about a few of them:

- Marvel started with the license, and picked it back up after 1997 for a while before abruptly dropping the license in the middle of their ongoing series because they foolishly oversaturated the market.
- DC in particular had TOS and TNG licenses for a long stretch, and those are the ones I know best from childhood.
- Malibu Comics did most of the DS9 comics. (IDW has the current license and publishes ongoings set in the Kelvinverse, but I haven't checked those out yet.)
- To absolutely no one's surprise, no one has bothered to license Enterprise as a comic series.
  • Marvel first published Star Trek comics in 1979-1980, and got the rights to publish a comic book re-telling of Star Trek : The Motion Picture. They then published an 18-issue series of TOS-fueled insanity, because Marvel's license from Paramount prohibited them from using concepts introduced in the original series. They were only allowed to use the characters and concepts from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Here's a taste:

They lost the license after this series. It reminds me very much like the "We are out of superhero ideas" runs that get posted in BSS under the Funny Panels thread every so often.

• DC picked the TOS ball up in 1984, and ran with it until 1996. They did a few oneshots of the TOS movies, had a first volume with stories based after Wrath of Khan , and a second volume with stories based after The Final Frontier.

• The first volume ran from 1984 to 1988. It's dated, but fun. They included a bunch of original characters they drafted; this volume also has a 7-issue Mirror Universe arc.

• The second volume ran from 1990 to 1996. I remember it very well from growing up, and I remember it being loving awesome. The writing improved, and the art vastly improved to a more modern palette.

I remember this issue very well - it was the first comic my parents ever bought my brother (Logan 5) and I, along with the destruction of Coast City issue of Reign of the Supermen (which we were far, far too young to have read.) You'd never know it from the cover, but this issue starts an arc about Gary Seven.

• DC also published a Next Generation series, also in two volumes. The first volume was only during 1988 for a few issues, following after "Encounter at Farpoint." There's nothing much of note here other than it is very, very season 1 and 2-style Next Gen, and that everyone's bodies are a combination of absurdly muscled and imaginatively curvaceous. You've seen this posted in this thread.

• The second volume ran from 1990 to 1996 in conjunction with the second volume of TOS, and is similarly awesome.
    The writing and art are much better than the previous volume, although like any of these comic series being reviewed, art can often vary from arc to arc and sometimes mid-arc depending on the pencilers, inkers, and colorists assigned to the book.
    I'm unsure when these issues take place in continuity, but with TNG, does it really matter? The only thing I can make out is because of the Borg issues, they must have started some time after The Best of Both Worlds.
    They weren't allowed to write stories focusing on anyone but the main characters of the series according to the license. This book is so baller that I'm going to post three covers.

This is another comic I remember very well. Showing the crew beam down to a Borg-takeover Earth was a bit nightmarish to my 11-year-old self.

• Malibu Comics, which later got bought out by Marvel, did a line of DS9 comics from 1993 to 1996. They also did a DC crossover with Next Gen and DS9 in '94-'95. I don't know much about their DS9 runs other than the artwork inside is pastel-y and pretty janky to look at. You'll recall this #1 issue cover however, which has been posted in this thread .

• Marvel came right back in 1996 and 1997 to try to capitalize on Star Trek popularity. They seemed to lose some momentum because their first issue was the infamous Star Trek TNG / X-Men crossover, but went on to publish some decent ongoing issues. However in 1998 they realized that 6 major concurrent Star Trek comic series don't make much money between them all, and abruptly canceled them. All of these books are from 1996 to 1998.

• Marvel comic #1 - Voyager comic. I have no idea when in the Voyager timeline these take place in and you would have to pay me to read these.

• Marvel comic #2 - a Star Trek Unlimited double-size book of stories from both TNG and TOS, with some crossovers. I don't know much about these other than that they look like they're from the EXXXXTREEEEEME Liefeld era, but had to be about Star Trek.

• Marvel comic #3 - a Starfleet Academy book, which took place right after DS9's Little Green Men episode, when Nog gets to Earth. He's a main character of course, as Cadet Nog. This series follows the same xxxxxtreme late 90s style.

• Marvel comic #4 - a DS9 book. Notable for still being xxxxtreme, but with better art than the Malibu series (Marvel had just bought them out and restarted the DS9 run. These take place during the 5th and 6th seasons.)

• Marvel comic #5 - an "Early Voyages" book, based on the pre-Kirk voyages of the Enterprise, starring Captain Christopher Pike and a bunch of mostly new characters, excepting Spock. Because of the abrupt cancellation, it stopped in the middle of a cliffhanger. Still has the xxxxxtreme styling that Marvel was into.

• Marvel comic #6 - an "Untold Voyages" book, based on the 5 year mission between TMP and Wrath of Khan. Only lasted for 5 issues before the cancellation, haven't read them.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I wasn't aware Tom of Finland did the artwork for the early TNG comics.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Apparently when Sulu went home to learn the meaning of Honda, he found San Francisco to be full of Azn stereotypes and samurai giant robots!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pacra, there is interest. You post that poo poo up. This is amazing.

e: Also I see why the guy who did "Crisis on Infinite Earths" had to tell them to knock off the racist skin tones for his Japanese Dr. Light.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
What, no mention of the Star Trek/X-Men crossover comic??

(there was a Star Trek TNG/X-Men crossover as well. it sucked)