Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

This comment got me thinking and yeah, now that I think about it, Den-O was really where Heisei Rider changed pretty drastically. While there had been some goofy comedy stuff in Kabuto, generally 00's Heisei Rider was pretty serious stuff. Den-O was also where they started re-focusing on multiple forms for the main Rider. Kuuga and Agito did that, but it kind of disappeared after that. Like, Ryuki only had one suit change, Survive, Hibiki only had Armed, and I think Kabuto only had Hyper too. Other than that it was a small mid-season upgrade (Jack and Accel) and then the final form (King and Blaster).

Then after that it seemed like every series had to have a thousand forms and at least one character whose sole purpose in the show was to be the comic relief. The only one that really broke this trend to any degree was Gaim, which for a show about dancing fruit samurai was pretty light on humor outside of Bravo, though it did still have a bunch of different forms.

Hibiki also had Crimson, but yeah. Also, there's about the same amount of goofy comedy stuff in the Agito-Blade set on purpose (see the Takoyaki Master episodes of Blade if nothing else), but Kabuto (and Agito, but to a lesser and more debatable degree) has a large amount of... possibly unintentional comedy? I have no other way of describing the Red Shoes System explanation or the Hopper Brothers. ...actually, I just have no way of describing the Hopper Brothers. Den-O and later is definitely a sea change, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Kuroto is the best Kamen Rider villain in forever and possibly franchise history. I don't really care for Ex-Aid's cast that much beyond Kuroto, but holy poo poo, he is an amazingly effective, entertaining villain. :allears:

Emu is a total idiot for trusting him for a single second, but what else is new? Dude isn't too bright.

Dan's plans are loving bizarre as hell and stupidly convoluted an I don't even care how ridiculous it is that he's planned this all out from when he was like loving 12, and was still the world's greatest game designer even then. And the fact he turned evil because he realized 'wait OTHER PEOPLE ARE ALSO GOOD AT THINGS!? I CAN NOT ABIDE THIS.'vJust loving go for it you crazy, shining lunatic.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Dan is basically Wesker from Resident Evil. Sonic, the Chosen Undead and Master Chief fight Albert Wesker for the fate of the world.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

The Deleter posted:

Dan is basically Wesker from Resident Evil. Sonic, the Chosen Undead and Master Chief fight Albert Wesker for the fate of the world.
I feel like we should make this the new summary of the show.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

You are kidding me.

Dan, a highly accomplished gamedev at the equivalent of Bethesda, felt threatened by an ideas guy. A loving IDEAS GUY. So he distributed an unfinished dev copy of a game that not-Bethesda was working on. As thanks for sending FANMAIL.

I really don't want to sound like a broken record in saying "Ex-Aid's writing is so loving bad" every week, so I will say I like that his actor is really hamming things up and he's clearly having a lot of fun with the role, so that's good.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 13, 2017

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Is it any worse than Kyuranger, the show about journeying the galaxy until they decide in episode 5 to stay on Earth? Home of one-note characters and YOSSHA LUCKY?

If Stinger was working for Xiao, does that mean Xiao ordered a man to be killed? Because that's pretty dope.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Deleter posted:

Is it any worse than Kyuranger, the show about journeying the galaxy until they decide in episode 5 to stay on Earth? Home of one-note characters and YOSSHA LUCKY?

If Stinger was working for Xiao, does that mean Xiao ordered a man to be killed? Because that's pretty dope.

To be fair they have established pretty hard that there's something particularly special about Earth, so it makes sense for it to be a priority to liberate, besides they still have their ship so it's not like they can't go to another planet again

Also we're only 5 episodes in a show with 10 main characters, not really surprising that most of the cast is still relatively one note, also Lucky's hasn't been all that bad with his catch phrase since episode 2

Also I figure they're going to reveal later that it was actually Stinger's brother who killed Champ's father

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TerminusEst13 posted:

You are kidding me.

Dan, a highly accomplished gamedev at the equivalent of Bethesda, felt threatened by an ideas guy. A loving IDEAS GUY. So he distributed an unfinished dev copy of a game that not-Bethesda was working on. As thanks for sending FANMAIL.

I really don't want to sound like a broken record in saying "Ex-Aid's writing is so loving bad" every week,

This deranged egomaniac with a god complex and fragile sense that he's the best where he gets super mad and crazy after getting beaten (Both literally and with the 'bootleg' games) Obsesses over and violently reacted to this other person who had an idea he thought was as good as his own. I'm sorry you don't like it but that writing is 100% in line with what we've seen from 'I'm god because In make video games' Dan and it is perfectly petty for his character and fits well into the shows themes about Selfishness and duty.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

To be fair they have established pretty hard that there's something particularly special about Earth, so it makes sense for it to be a priority to liberate, besides they still have their ship so it's not like they can't go to another planet again

Also we're only 5 episodes in a show with 10 main characters, not really surprising that most of the cast is still relatively one note, also Lucky's hasn't been all that bad with his catch phrase since episode 2

Also I figure they're going to reveal later that it was actually Stinger's brother who killed Champ's father

I'm harsh on Kyuranger because I love the aesthetic, and I wish everyone was a cool as Champ and Balance. I guess I better give it more of a fair chance.

Yeah, just thought of that. Seems the obvious way to go.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This deranged egomaniac with a god complex and fragile sense that he's the best where he gets super mad and crazy after getting beaten (Both literally and with the 'bootleg' games) Obsesses over and violently reacted to this other person who had an idea he thought was as good as his own. I'm sorry you don't like it but that writing is 100% in line with what we've seen from 'I'm god because In make video games' Dan and it is perfectly petty for his character and fits well into the shows themes about Selfishness and duty.

It is 100% in line and consistent with his character, yes. It is also extremely bad. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Have you ever had an idea for a book, a movie, a story, a video game? Of course you have. Everyone has ideas for something, but an idea is possibly the least important part of any good game.
The idea Emu mailed in is as valuable as the paper he sent it in on.
That Emu is the only person to have ideas for video games, much less the only "good idea", much less a good enough idea that he could make a successful gamedev jealous enough to want to kill him via biological weapon, is such a laughably awful motive.

J.K. Rowling isn't going to murder anybody for their ideas of a TaigaXEmu slash fic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i will kill all of the slashfic writers and claim their work as my own. even the really bad ones. ESPECIALLY the really bad ones.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

TerminusEst13 posted:

It is 100% in line and consistent with his character, yes. It is also extremely bad. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Have you ever had an idea for a book, a movie, a story, a video game? Of course you have. Everyone has ideas for something, but an idea is possibly the least important part of any good game.
That Emu is the only person to have ideas for video games, much less the only "good idea", much less a good enough idea that he could make a successful gamedev jealous enough to want to kill him via biological weapon, is such a laughably awful motive.

J.K. Rowling isn't going to murder anybody for their ideas of a TaigaXEmu slash fic.

Hate to break it to you but Ex-Aid has much to do with video games as it does with being a doctor.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Deleter posted:

Hate to break it to you but Ex-Aid has much to do with video games as it does with being a doctor.

Being a Doctor is way more exciting than I would've thought!

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

The Deleter posted:

I think that was established long ago when the Wonderswan was a super-popular system and Genm coded their games in Javascript. :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Since Stinger is staying off ship for the time being, I imagine a good portion of his appearances from this point will be in suit for ease of scheduling.

Also, we've already had the voice of Brook for Zyuohger and Zoro is playing Blue. When do we get the VAs for Chopper and Franky and the other straw hats?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Xelkelvos posted:

Also, we've already had the voice of Brook for Zyuohger and Zoro is playing Blue. When do we get the VAs for Chopper and Franky and the other straw hats?

Usopp was Ticket.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Franky was the voice of Ninjaman in Kakuranger, and he reprised the role in Gokaiger.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

TerminusEst13 posted:

I feel like trying to apply a real world analogy to it is an instant disqualification since it's a work of fiction we're dealing with here. Though on my end that's biased, cause I feel it's fantastic because to me it just adds another layer of glorious filth to the giant shitburger stacker that is Dan. Just when you think he couldn't be any more of a walking garbage can monster you discover that there was no point in this dickhead's life where he wasn't an awful psychopath. I would be genuinely shocked if when his final defeat/death inevitably comes, that they try to put Dan in any sort of sympathetic light like "Oh... he liked to make video games that made people happy" because at this point there's very little you could call "human" in him and arguably never was much before either.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like that dan wasn't corrupted by some outside force. he was always a dick.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Maybe stop complaining about realism in a show about doctors fighting the sentient manifestation of the Y2K bug.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Ex aid's live action cartoon logic is not bad writing. It's fun, freeing, and imaginative.
Like if it were to have realistic medical professionals and game designers it would still be action figures fighting with singing game carts. Might as well have fun.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i like that dan wasn't corrupted by some outside force. he was always a dick.

Especially after Ghost.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
emu seems much better suited to be a counselor than a doctor. like, he cannot seem to care less about medical treatment or care more about patient mental health.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Xelkelvos posted:

Since Stinger is staying off ship for the time being, I imagine a good portion of his appearances from this point will be in suit for ease of scheduling.

You missed Blackbeard as Champ.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

sometimes I remember we never got a "Kamen Ride OOO Returns: Kamen Rider Birth" and it makes me sad.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Xelkelvos posted:

Franky's VA was the crazy bad guy in the first season of Akibaranger and Debo Meeteor in Kyoryuger.

Usopp was Ticket and the narrator/gizmo voice in ToQ.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Naga saying How Frustrating while smiling like a loving maniac is one of many reasons why I am in love with Kyuranger.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I feel like trying to apply a real world analogy to it is an instant disqualification since it's a work of fiction we're dealing with here. Though on my end that's biased, cause I feel it's fantastic because to me it just adds another layer of glorious filth to the giant shitburger stacker that is Dan.

Oh, definitely, in terms of shittiness his actor has been hamming up him being a total scumbag and it's been fun as hell to watch his downward spiral in action. Dan's a villain's villain, a guy who's evil just to be a giant dickbag. Even in his final moments he's going to be a tremendous poo poo. And it will be fabulous.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Maybe stop complaining about realism in a show about doctors fighting the sentient manifestation of the Y2K bug.

How in the world do you jump from "this villain has a terrible motivation" to "realism"?

It's all right to just not agree with my reasons for not liking the writing, guy!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I want to say I'm liking Kyuranger but goddamn two things in this last episode just annoyed me. It's Stinger's joining episode, so we get a one-man fighting shot of...Lucky. Stinger gets basically ignored in his first team fight.

And then we get to the preview, where a Hammy episode!...is an episode where Lucky gets a power-up.

I don't want to cry Ninninger too early, especially since the show has not been as bad as that, but it really left me in a sour mood after an otherwise pretty good episode.

Also fighting 100% on Earth in a show about space is super lame.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I assume it's primarily to keep the budget down so they can keep using the same locales, but it would be good to have each of the different locales representing a different planet.

A planet stocked entirely full of abandoned warehouses.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's not like the alien worlds would have looked much different anyway. There's only so often you can reuse Gaim's props before people notice.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Naga saying How Frustrating while smiling like a loving maniac is one of many reasons why I am in love with Kyuranger.
Naga is easily the best part of Kyuranger, which so far seems to be going for the balls-to-the-walls approach of Kyoryuger without having half the chemistry that cast did.
As much as the Kyoryugers leaned on catchphrases, each of them did have some nuances in their arcs and character backgrounds that made them feel like real people. Daigo, for as much poo poo as he gets, has a really interesting character beat in how he basically immediately looks to Torin as a sort of father figure after growing up without one for reasons he was never told. Ian had a genuine side that shone past his market tested cool leather jacket lover boy aesthetic. Nossan had his love for his niece that was clearly meant to be his daughter until the higher-ups said no. Souji had a certain somberness to him that came out occasionally in ways that weren't played for laughs. Basically everything Amy does is informed by a need to separate herself from how she was born rich. And Utchy, well, Utchy's a lovable awkward noble gem of a sixth ranger.

I don't really see any of the Kyurangers as characters yet, except for Naga. He's the only one who's shown any real capacity for depth and development.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TerminusEst13 posted:

How in the world do you jump from "this villain has a terrible motivation" to "realism"?

It's all right to just not agree with my reasons for not liking the writing, guy!

His motivation wasn't because emu had a good idea for a video game, his motivation is to be the super god he thinks he is by making a video game version of Helheim that he gets to control and every has to play. This is caused by his egotism and general sociopathy. The Emu being infected bit was just someone he felt slighted by that he decided to use as the patient zero to show him just how far beyond Emu he was.

You're mixing up cause with effect in a really dumb way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TerminusEst13 posted:

A planet stocked entirely full of abandoned warehouses.
I can't wait for them to visit Planet Go'th-am

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

His motivation wasn't because emu had a good idea for a video game, his motivation is to be the super god he thinks he is by making a video game version of Helheim that he gets to control and every has to play.

Yes and I hated it when Sword Art Online did it too.

You're mixing up cause with effect in a really dumb way.

I dunno dude I just think in terms of Saturday Morning Cartoon Villains, a professional triple-A paid-in-money-and-fame entertainment guy man getting uppity about one single idea guy (out of millions) is extremely stupid.
If you like it that's okay??

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 14, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean.

Well off people do things that are illogical because the people beneath them showed something good about themselves all the drat time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dan's god complex was never rational. for example, the burger gashat. that dude simply finished an incomplete puzzle game and then ran it through the equipment left in dan's office. his using tools that dan invented does not in any way diminish dan's accomplishments. yet, dan lost his poo poo at the idea of a game maker making a game. dan sees people doing anything other than what he wants as an affront against his divinity, even when he never actually told someone what he wants first. that is likely where his obsession with games comes from. when he makes a game, it behaves exactly as he wants which as far as he is concerned should also apply to real life. but then some random dumb kid sends in a game idea that, since this is a kamen rider show, was undoubtedly the most amazing game idea he'd ever seen, except dan wasn't the one to think of it.

in short, dan is a solipsist who is sent into a furious rage whenever he is confronted with evidence against said solipsism. since there isn't exactly a shortage of such evidence, he is angry a lot.

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.
Compared to Dr. Banno, Dan's motivation almost seems sane.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

smidgeonnn posted:

Compared to Dr. Banno, Dan's motivation almost seems sane.

In that he appears to have one, no matter how crazy or stupid beyond BE EVIL, yes. Man, how nuts is it Dr. Maki is in the upper percentile of Rider main villains in making sense?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You guys are really making me think the past two months did something to step up Ex-Aid. I gave up on it eight episodes ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TerminusEst13 posted:

I dunno dude I just think in terms of Saturday Morning Cartoon Villains, a professional triple-A paid-in-money-and-fame entertainment guy man getting uppity about one single idea guy (out of millions) is extremely stupid.

It's just that while the scale of his pettiness is outlandish it's not really that crazy that a well off dude wants to gently caress over someone he perceives to be lesser than him

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean.

Well off people do things that are illogical because the people beneath them showed something good about themselves all the drat time.

What he said. The motive is familiar and makes sense, the depths of scale of his 'revenge' are the only really extraordinary parts and that's just because he's the antagonist in a super hero show.

Craptacular! posted:

You guys are really making me think the past two months did something to step up Ex-Aid. I gave up on it eight episodes ago.

Ex-Aid is cool and good, craptacular.

• Locked thread