Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

T-man posted:

Personally I think the rich should be hunted for sport, but whatever, I can see that you still have a lot of growing up to do.

This but unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

winterwerefox posted:

One thing, one thing, one trump

Maybe I'm starting to lose it here, but is Tinsley coming down on the right side of history for once?

Has he stopped drinking??

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Ah yes the one famine that ever occurred in chinese history, thanks to communism.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

They should stop calling this healthcare poo poo sandwich "Obamacare Lite" or whatever. Obama isn't in anyway responsible for causing millions of people to lose their health insurance, this should entirely be on Trump/Republicans. Call it Trumpcare or something.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

Maybe I'm starting to lose it here, but is Tinsley coming down on the right side of history for once?

Has he stopped drinking??

:ssh: I made an edit

Call it what it is Republicare.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Axetrain posted:

They should stop calling this healthcare poo poo sandwich "Obamacare Lite" or whatever. Obama isn't in anyway responsible for causing millions of people to lose their health insurance, this should entirely be on Trump/Republicans. Call it Trumpcare or something.

Remember this is Right-wingers calling it this. Any health care bill is heresy to them.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

winterwerefox posted:

Call it what it is Republicare.

You got my hopes up that he might have gone sane. :saddowns:

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I'm sorry to interject into dick-measuring atrocitychat and I'm not trying to defend repressive communist regimes but I hate it when people compare communist mass atrocities to capitalist ones as if they're trying to make some point that communism kills millions just because it's communism and not because of a myriad of structural, environmental and leadership factors.

Just to add to the capitalist tally for mass-murder fuckups, intentional, unintentional and otherwise.

North American Native Genocide -> Approx 76 million.

Central American Native Genocide -> In excess of 20 million ( foreign disease and starvation multiplied by Spanish destabilization)

Vietnam War -> Up to Between 1.5 million and 3.2 million (Civilians and NVA, ARVN and other coalition troops not counted, but also victims)

Not having healthcare in the US-> Estimated between 20k and 40k a year. So in 40 years up to 1.6 million.

This is a derail and otherwise I love lurking this thread but this argument is titanic loving dumb. There is nothing special about capitalism that makes it magically better for your health. Also Capitalism in action is really more of an ideology than a political system as Communism has been applied. China are Capitalism Communists so I dunno consider that.

Both ideologies kill when opportunists find ways to apply them as justification. Reds are not going to steal your freedom and capitalism is not your friend (unless you're rich as gently caress.)

Anyway LeoMarr should shut up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

quote:

“Do you think I ran a campaign where white supremacists had a platform?” Conway asked.

...is this a trick question? It was a loving cornerstone of their campaign, you don't get the endorsement of the KKK for petting kittens.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

xthetenth posted:

Capitalism doesn't kill its winners, it kills its losers. How'd India do? How'd Ireland do?
So the great virtue of the Soviet Union is that after WW2 they were contained by NATO and couldn't start running over and exploiting other countries the way they did everything in their bloc?

And if we're widening the scope to all communist countries, how'd Tibet do? Again, seems to me that the major difference is Communism was always contained.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Question, does anyone still taking part in the high-school-level "was 20th century communism worse than capitalism?" debate actually think it has real-world modern-day political implications?

Because that's the context it first came up in, but it is simply not the case

ToxicFrog posted:

...is this a trick question? It was a loving cornerstone of their campaign, you don't get the endorsement of the KKK for petting kittens.

That's Our Kellyanne!TM

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I'm sorry to interject into dick-measuring atrocitychat and I'm not trying to defend repressive communist regimes but I hate it when people compare communist mass atrocities to capitalist ones as if they're trying to make some point that communism kills millions just because it's communism and not because of a myriad of structural, environmental and leadership factors.

Just to add to the capitalist tally for mass-murder fuckups, intentional, unintentional and otherwise.

North American Native Genocide -> Approx 76 million.

Central American Native Genocide -> In excess of 20 million ( foreign disease and starvation multiplied by Spanish destabilization)

By a very long shot, most of those deaths were from disease. You can't really pin all those deaths on any system or people. Afro-Eurasia simply had vastly more human diseases over the millennia which killed us by the tens of millions over the centuries when each of these diseases were new. They just became new for the Western Hemisphere all at once.

Not to mention that you're putting the death toll as higher than the total pre-columbian population of the western hemisphere. North America, excluding Mexico and south, had somewhere between 7 and 18 million people. I don't know how you think we killed 78 million when there were only 18 million at the high estimate. Where could you possibly have heard 76 million from?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

chairface posted:

This but unironically

Good thing Americans don't like the rich and aspire to be them or this would be a strategy that gets us nowhere.

Maybe we could focus only on the sociopathic rich that want to gently caress poor people over, the views of which are echoed on every level by the Republican party? Nah, that would mean we can't claim both sides are bad.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

Good thing Americans don't like the rich and aspire to be them or this would be a strategy that gets us nowhere.

as opposed to the current strategy of ??? which has gotten us ?????

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Cpt.Americant posted:

By a very long shot, most of those deaths were from disease. You can't really pin all those deaths on any system or people. Afro-Eurasia simply had vastly more human diseases over the millennia which killed us by the tens of millions over the centuries when each of these diseases were new. They just became new for the Western Hemisphere all at once.

You absolutely can

Fulchrum posted:

Maybe we could focus only on the sociopathic rich that want to gently caress poor people over, the views of which are echoed on every level by the Republican party? Nah, that would mean we can't claim both sides are bad.

There's literally no other rich besides the sociopathic.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ruzihm posted:

Ah yes the one famine that ever occurred in chinese history, thanks to communism.

Usually famines aren't so blatantly manmade.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

winterwerefox posted:

One thing, one thing, one trump

:golfclap:
A good edit

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Improbable Lobster posted:

"The love of money is the root of all evils."

Probably the truest words ever written in any religious text.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, the love of money, not just having it. There are a fuckload of poor people who love money. They all vote GOP and hate the "moocher" class fiercely.

Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, George Soros...

Meanwhile, there are millions of sociopathic poor people who vote Republican because gently caress them filthy Mexicans.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

loquacius posted:

Yeah you're right, I should have done what you did in the post I was responding to and taken down a nameless arbitrary anonymous strawman instead of Clinton's communications director

I'm not really sure what you're intending to prove, given that nobody has ever accused Hillary Clinton of putting principles above pragmatism. Comparing a distraught woman lashing out at an inveterate liar to people that, for example, wanted to kill the ACA because it wasn't single-payer, or doomed Occupy Wall Street to irrelevance by refusing to vote, is kind of a leap.

If you insist on names: Howard Dean, Jane Hamsher, Darcy Burner, Markos Moulitsas before he got better, and Bernie Sanders for wanting to primary Obama. That should get you started.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fulchrum posted:

lmao

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There were nice slaveowners too.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
And good cops.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I'll tell you why I like the cigarette business. It costs a penny to make. Sell it for a dollar. It's addictive. And there's fantastic brand loyalty.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

David Pope:

Elon Musk is offering to fix the power issues in South Australia.

David Rowe:

Barners is Barnaby Joyce, leader of the National Party.
Pauline is Pauline Hanson, leader of Pauline Hanson's One Nation Party starring Pauline Hanson.

Today's classic Bill Leak (which I believe is Dec. 2009):

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mantis42 posted:

There were nice slaveowners too.

You ever noticed how the confederate army wasn't exclusively made up of rich white southern gentlemen slave owners, and instead had a lot of people who weren't personally slave owners, but still fought to help slave owners keep their slaves because they were sociopaths?

But no, I guess that instead of letting him kill southern racists, the union army should have just kicked Grant out and made him join the Confederates because he once owned a slave.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

"No, no, only I, the smartest person to have ever lived, can tell you precisely how to bring about the Revolution. Now for a party wide circular firing squad to show you just how enlightened I am." - College Leftist 101

The real reason we'll never eat the rich is because the poor wouldn't know what kind of wine goes with human foie gras.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

You know, all those perfectly good rich that are being hosed over by those sociopath poors

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Skippy Granola posted:

Oodalally!

Every town has its ups and downs. Sometimes ups outnumber the downs, but not in Washington:banjo:

Banoniss: Good News Sire! Money is pouring in, the labor camps are full and - Oh - I have good news sir! Friar Sanders is in Jail!

Prince T: FRIAR SANDERS?! ITS OBAMA HOOD I WANT YOU CUCK!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, the love of money, not just having it. There are a fuckload of poor people who love money. They all vote GOP and hate the "moocher" class fiercely.

Meanwhile, there are millions of sociopathic poor people who vote Republican because gently caress them filthy Mexicans.

What makes a good rich person is their willingness to contribute some of their money to The Common Good. We just want to tax them, to ensure their less-good friends come along for the ride :)

Shangri-Law School posted:

I'm not really sure what you're intending to prove, given that nobody has ever accused Hillary Clinton of putting principles above pragmatism. Comparing a distraught woman lashing out at an inveterate liar to people that, for example, wanted to kill the ACA because it wasn't single-payer, or doomed Occupy Wall Street to irrelevance by refusing to vote, is kind of a leap.

If you insist on names: Howard Dean, Jane Hamsher, Darcy Burner, Markos Moulitsas before he got better, and Bernie Sanders for wanting to primary Obama. That should get you started.

I was just trying to give you a counterexample to bring your rampage of smug self-satisfaction to a dignified early close, but clearly this was a fool's errand

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

winterwerefox posted:

Try to avoid flagrant spelling errors next time.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

You know, all those perfectly good rich that are being hosed over by those sociopath poors

Because as we all know, it is impossible for a poor white person to ever vote against their own personal interests.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOnIp69r6vg

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
in any case the USSR was never communist so lol

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

What makes a good rich person is their willingness to contribute some of their money to The Common Good. We just want to tax them, to ensure their less-good friends come along for the ride :)
You mean with, oh, to pick an example at random, the Buffet rule? Probably named ironically, since as a rich person Warren Buffet must have railed against the law.

You know who opposes the buffet rule and the estate tax? Poor white Republican voters. How exactly does saying all rich people are the enemy help against them?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Flipperwaldt posted:

Why should he put in more effort than Tinsley?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Flipperwaldt posted:

Sorry about that, fixed it.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

You absolutely can

How? Unless we just never made contact, the overwhelming majority of the die offs would have happened with or without capitalism and the west. If a communist India or an anarchist Korea or any system from any afro-eurasian peoples who were the first to reach the Americas, the same die off would have happened simply because we had many diseases from our various plagues that they had never encountered. How is that anyone's conscious fault?

And I'm still wondering how we killed 78 million when only 18 million lived there.

Edit: Was anyone responsible for the Antonine Plague or the Plague of Justinian or the Plague of Athens? Because those plagues killed tens of millions over the centuries. Those plagues mean we who survived developed some immunity. The Americas had no immunity to anything, so all of our centuries of plagues became their plagues all at once. That really can't be laid at the feet of any economic system because there is no economic system that would have impacted this one way or another.

Cpt.Americant fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

You mean with, oh, to pick an example at random, the Buffet rule? Probably named ironically, since as a rich person Warren Buffet must have railed against the law.

You know who opposes the buffet rule and the estate tax? Poor white Republican voters. How exactly does saying all rich people are the enemy help against them?

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to argue with me here, as per usual

e: oh wait, it's "poor poor wealthy philanthrophists, how will they ever cope with anti-rich discrimination :qq:" I guess? What does "the left" even mean anymore

• Locked thread