Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

'Other distinguishing features: None' has never been more true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
major enemies: (former) thanos

when does anyone ever stop being thanos' enemy?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
When Thanos loses interest.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

major enemies:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

major enemies: (former) thanos

When they die. Dude loves skeletons.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I always appreciated Eric Masterson's ground-level approach to Thor-style craziness. It was just a shame that he was saddled with '90s Tom DeFalco dialogue.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
One thing you can probably never take away from Eric Masterson: he's got a pretty solid AC/DC walk-up theme for those annual Avengers softball games.

He's also not the Masterson with sexual assault allegations against him.

vvvvvv oh poo poo, may have spoken too soon.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 14, 2017

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Awwww yeah BUTT POUNDING TIME!! Paired up with Grimm's CLOBBERING TIME! Should team up with classic Power Man infiltrating Doom's fortress.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

goatface posted:

When Thanos loses interest.

Him and America, buddy.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

X-O posted:

Day 29: Thunderstrike

The greatest of all superheroes maybe? Eric Masterson is obviously the best Thor ever that wasn't a frog or alien horse looking dude. I'm sure there's no argument on that. The only thing that would have made Thunderstrike better was if he had the little mask like he did when was Thor. The same one Jane has now.

Looking at his bio....Quicksand? The villain who made him and Thor join together was named Quicksand?

And while I imagine the humor of Wizard probably has aged badly beyond the 90s, I always remember loving the recurring monthly feature called Mort of the Month. Hearing about D list villains like the Weather Men or some idiot named R U Ready was the best part of the magazine whenever my brother would get it each month. That said, I don't have any of the old Wizards anymore to look at those, I DO have the two old specials they made about the super villains. I might go look for those and maybe scan in some of the more dumb villains from the magazine. I doubt the humor would hold up through.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 14, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

What if Sandman was a chick

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Who the hel is Thor III?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He's a Thor from the future that was tricked into going back in time to attack Thunderstrike so that a villain could use dual mjolnirs to power a time travel machine despite obviously only needing one mjolnir and him necessarily already having a time travel machine to pull off the scheme.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thunderstrike doesn't even had a Mjolnir! This entire plan sucks!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I should've just said Masterson - this was pre-Thunderstrike but post-Odinson-banishment, so at the time he was 'Thor II' with Mjolnir.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 30: Bird-Man

I have no idea who this is. I've read these handbooks before years ago and I don't even remember this entry at all. I never knew this character even existed until right now.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

here's who he is: a guy with a great costume

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yeah, I want to see more of that guy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I believe he's an attorney at law.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Bird-Man of the Ani-Men! You may have sucked, Bird-Man, but you played a part in killing an X-Man, so that ain't nothin'.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Bird-Man II was one of the bar full of D-list supervillains (and Turner D. Century) gunned down by Scourge in an issue of GruCap I just re-read. His murder apparently doesn't even warrant a mention in "significant issues" for the two Bird-Men, apparently.

Possibly because literally the entire career of Bird-Man II (and the Ani-Men II)

Daredevil #157: Burst through a window on the last page
Daredevil #158: Ani-Men kidnap Matt Murdock for Death-Stalker. Bird-Man tries to fly away, but Black Widow rips his wings off and punches him out.
Ape-Man and Cat-Man deliver Murdock to Death-Stalker, are handed some money, then are immediately murdered by Death-Stalker.
Captain American #319: Bird-Man appears in a crowd scene, is promptly gunned down by Scourge.
Captain America #320: Bird-Man's corpse is discovered in a big ol' pile by Captain America.

Then he got resurrected in Remender's Punisher run, but did nothing of note other than appear in some group fights. I guess he's hypothetically still alive? Punisher explicitly re-kills about half of the gang, and Bird-Man doesn't appear in the back half of the storyline, so either he died or ran away off-panel.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Alright, Bird-Man II died one county south of where I grew up!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I remember those dudes (the Ani-Men) from Iron Man. Bunch of animal masks with antennas sticking out, that's about the only thing interesting about them.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Props to Thunderstrike for being around long enough and during a sweet spot that got him featured in a video game, Avengers Galactic Storm for arcade. Also props for the sweet pony tail and lavender/silver #1 issue that got me to buy it as a kid.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Alias: Henry Hawk.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Temporarily Superhuman Class 10 in upper portion of body"

*Lifts really heavy thing with arms, legs collapse under weight*

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-0, I know this isn't really a thread for requests, but can you post the rest of the Ani-Men please?

Endless Mike posted:

"Temporarily Superhuman Class 10 in upper portion of body"

*Lifts really heavy thing with arms, legs collapse under weight*

If his arms were that much stronger than his legs then when he tried to lift something really heavy beneath him, he'd pull himself into a faceplant and snap his legs on the way down.

I'm guessing the strength just in his upper body has to do with his flight and anti-grav. He can only lift and carry things while airborne.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Lobok posted:

X-0, I know this isn't really a thread for requests, but can you post the rest of the Ani-Men please?

He can only lift and carry things while airborne.

Whenever he lands his legs just shatter from the impact and he has to use his now non-superhuman arms to crawl to a hospital.

Seconding the demand for more Ani-Men. Please tell us about these characters so minor that writers literally did not care if they were dead or alive. You might read this as sarcasm but it absolutely is not.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Particularly how Cyclops defeats Dragonfly in UXM #95, which is hilarious.

EDIT: Can't find a pic on hand. Dragonfly goes after Cyclops and uses her hypnotic gaze, "MY WILL ISSSS YOUR WILL," you know the drill. It works. Cyclops stops what he's doing, goes slack-jawed, and his eyes become a wide-open dull stare. His eyes opening that wide automatically open his visor, and BEHOLD! OPTIC BLAST! when he's not even conscious.

delfin fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 16, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

ImpAtom posted:

I believe he's an attorney at law.

drat you, I was going to say that!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

And there came a day unlike any other, when Earth's lamest animal heroes were revealed to the world! On that day the Ani-Men were killed!

Day 31: The Ani-Men (Ape-Man, Cat-Man, Frog-Man)

Brought to you by... wait... Wally Wood? Are you serious? Oh Wally, what have you done?

Also the Frog is French. Because of course he is.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Weird coincidence: 8-Ball shows up for a panel in today's new issue of Star-Lord, so I guess there's another one now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zdarsky loves his Ani-men, I guess.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Ahem, that's Frog-Man II, who they EXPLICITLY TELL YOU NOT TO CONFUSE WITH FROG-MAN I. THEY ASKED YOU POLITELY BUT FIRMLY RIGHT IN THE MASTER EDITION.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wait a sec, if i'm reading those right the first group had enhanced physiques for the one time they fought the xmen, but otherwise birdman was the only one with a suit that gave him any powers? frogman was naturally real good at jumping, the other two had those stasis beam things and they all had radios in their masks. i don't even know why they were animal-themed!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ape-Man, not to be confused with Black Panther villain Man-Ape.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
The Ani-Men show up at the beginning of the Frank Miller Daredevil Omnibus, so I actually recognize these ham n eggers. Thanks Frank!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Are we to assume that all of the illustrations are of the brief time when they were mutated and powered? Because none of their bodies are human, with the exception of Cat-Man who I suppose could be wearing gloves with claws on them.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
And yet that's not the same Frog-Man form the Spider-Man comics.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ferrule posted:

And yet that's not the same Frog-Man form the Spider-Man comics.

Edge & Christian posted:

Ahem, that's Frog-Man II, who they EXPLICITLY TELL YOU NOT TO CONFUSE WITH FROG-MAN I. THEY ASKED YOU POLITELY BUT FIRMLY RIGHT IN THE MASTER EDITION.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

My favorite thing about the Ani-Men has nothing to do with them. But immediately after Thunderbird's death there's a fantastically hilarious issue of X-Men where Cyclops is dealing with being a bad leader (since it was apparently his fault that Thunderbird jumped on a jet and punched it until it exploded to try and kill some guy in a vampire cape and monocle) and he's out wandering around in the woods when he has a little fit of emorage and blasts the forest with his optic beams. In doing so, for some reason, he shatters an ancient (I suppose) Native American ritual stone thing that releases an angry demon who comest to the mansion and tries to murder all the X-Men as they do. They fight him for a while and eventually defeat it and everyone just sort of goes "Huh. That was weird."

• Locked thread