Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah I totally agree. When Gon and Killua get transported to Kite after Greed Island in the anime, it feels like bad writing that we've never heard of Kite before. In the manga your experience is "holy chap it's Kite from chapter one who told Gon who his father was and set him on the path to being a hunter!". You also don't get the setup for Gon being loved by animals which sets up the navigators and Killua's dog.

With how quick Gon is to make friends it's not entirely unbelievable that he would have such a strong reaction to one dying because they were hindered by Gon's presence. Even if you have trouble believing that he actually felt that strongly about Kite as a friend, the fact that Gon believes it's his fault (and honestly, kind of rightly so) is what fills in that gap for me. Like, if the stuff at the beginning had been there it would be better, I agree, but if someone new to the series is bothered by it all you have to tell them is "they actually met in ch.1 of the manga but it was cut out since they didn't think they'd be able to adapt Chimera Ant" and I feel like that's probably enough for most people.

As far as the animal stuff, I feel like you can pretty easily intuit "cheerful kid, raised in the boonies, spent a lot of time outdoors" as someone who's also pretty friendly with animals and thus surprised when he can't connect with a trained attack dog. Again, would have been nice to have something a bit more explicit than that opening scene where he's surrounded by squirrels and rabbits in the tree, but I think in the long run it's nothing too major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's still extremely well done and of course it's emotional but by the time I saw the anime I knew who Kite was so I already had that emotional investment. It still works but Kite's introduction in the Chimera Ant arc is far weaker regardless of that. Even a five minute scene in an early episode could cover Kite and and Gon meeting.

"Hey Gon on our walk to the large tree tell us why you want to be a Hunter". Or even in Trick Tower while they're stuck waiting in the room.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah, using it to fill up time during the Trick Tower scene makes a lot of sense.

I could understand the studio wanting to push back the flashback for pacing reasons, but I still don't get cutting it entirely. Plenty of stories involve someone young and impressionable being inspired to do a thing by a cool stranger, so even if they never got to the Chimera Ant arc it's not like having Kite show up and save Gon's life would be out of place or a hanging plot thread - least, not any more than having the Troupe around.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i got the feeling that they wanted to get through the hunter exam quickly. the old anime spent ridiculous amounts of time on the exam, to the extent of adding an extra filler exam that was pretty stupid. i think there might have been an extra phase or two in the gourmet hunter exam too?

also, it is pretty funny in hindsight that netero stepping in to put a stop to menchi's bullshit probably saved her life. hisoka had already killed an examiner the previous year and he was almost certainly capable of killing those two.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i got the feeling that they wanted to get through the hunter exam quickly. the old anime spent ridiculous amounts of time on the exam, to the extent of adding an extra filler exam that was pretty stupid. i think there might have been an extra phase or two in the gourmet hunter exam too?

also, it is pretty funny in hindsight that netero stepping in to put a stop to menchi's bullshit probably saved her life. hisoka had already killed an examiner the previous year and he was almost certainly capable of killing those two.

The other part of the cooking test was from the manga. The 2011 anime cut it for some reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

At the time they were still unsure they'd even be allowed to adapt Chimera Ant IIRC so it sort of made sense.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

The other part of the cooking test was from the manga. The 2011 anime cut it for some reason.

that test sucked anyway, so no big loss

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

At the time they were still unsure they'd even be allowed to adapt Chimera Ant IIRC so it sort of made sense.

It doesn't really because they had plenty of time to fit it in early on and it wouldn't harm the show to include it even if you never got to the payoff because it informs Gon's character a bit more.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I know that all the fans were like "yeah but there's no way they can do Chimera Ant arc" so I wouldn't be surprised if the animators were doubtful too.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It's not like it's that necessary anyway.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

e X posted:

Honestly, I think they very much changed their approach to the adaption midway into the first arc. In the beginning, they shifted events around a lot, but by the time the story reaches Trick Tower, it basically turned into a completely faithful adaption. I guess they weren't sure about the success and didn't wanted to waste time on a setup that wouldn't become relevant until literally years later, so they streamlined a lot of stuff. But once it became clear that they probably could keep going until the end of the manga, they took great care to keep everything.

The first arc had a recap episode.

I don't recall any recap episodes after that, so it was like, one recap episode early on through the course of 100+ episodes.

Bizarre.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

The first arc had a recap episode.

I don't recall any recap episodes after that, so it was like, one recap episode early on through the course of 100+ episodes.

Bizarre.

ep 13 and ep 26 were both recap.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I really like Togashi's early covers

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Killua/Illumi scene is the best scene in the anime. Discuss.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

EmmyOk posted:

The Gon/Killua/Neferpitou/Komugi scene is the best scene in the anime. Discuss.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Not to be a filthy casual, but

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

http://i.imgur.com/lNFrOuX.jpg

So I just found this in the new Jump and HOLY poo poo

HxH Monster Hunter DLC that I did not see coming

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

drat

Though the hair should be made in a way that it's never possible to see the end of it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Editing quotes is the domain of a charlatan and coward.

That scene is really great too and Gon completely crushing Killua was devastating but I still think the scene with Illumi is the better of the two. The VA for Illumi nails the switches between deathly serious and a slight sing song. Ginpatsu no Lullaby when Killua says all he wants is a friend and the Zoldyck theme when Illumi slowly approaches him are absolutely pitch perfect. The hypnotic spirals in Illumi's eyes and how MADHOUSE colour the scene and overlay Illumi's eyes are just great.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a bunch of Killua Illumi scenes and I don't know which you're on about. Which might be telling in the hierarchy of "which scenes are the best" but yeh

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's a bunch of Killua Illumi scenes and I don't know which you're on about. Which might be telling in the hierarchy of "which scenes are the best" but yeh

The one in the hunter exam?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kild posted:

The one in the hunter exam?

Clearly. Killua and Illumi don't meet again until the end of the Election Arc and it's also great but nearly as good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo41dQKLAio

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I hope we'll get to see more Hisoka and Illumi shenanigans in the future.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Haven't played MH since Tri. I'd be tempted to jump back in on this but only if they have a melody hat as well. I want to have the proper attire for when I go with a hunting horn.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I saw this thread show up again- is Togashi still dead

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Fabricated posted:

I saw this thread show up again- is Togashi still dead

Don't know how true it is but basically yea.

http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/...nder-rights.htm

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kild posted:

Don't know how true it is but basically yea.

http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/...nder-rights.htm

read the last paragraph. "all this unfounded speculation? actually it has already been disproven but thanks for buying this clickbait bullshit."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol at anyone who believed that

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

read the last paragraph. "all this unfounded speculation? actually it has already been disproven but thanks for buying this clickbait bullshit."

Just the tokyo ghoul part. Not the anime continuing part (w. or w.o his wife).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that clickbait article didn't use the word manga once. i don't think the author knows such a thing exists. the anime ended and there aren't enough chapters for another season.

no one is taking away togashi's property and anyone who thinks that it is possible is too gullible to live.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My dad is a rock person and he told me that Togashi woke up last week and scribbled two panels where Kurapika is called a huge nerd and went back to sleep but it's also just speculation.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Togashi has died and the manga will be continued like Paradise Lost

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The best scene is actually when Pouf and Youpi revive the King.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
gon uses a sword in the MH dlc :chloe:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

gon uses a sword in the MH dlc :chloe:

There isn't an unarmed option in MH and "Gon" is really just Gon's clothes (and hair) on a regular PC, so, yeah. Gotta use one of the existing weapons.

Can't remember if there's a fishing pole, but you can stab people with a giant shark or smash them with a large piece of meat, at least.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

There isn't an unarmed option in MH and "Gon" is really just Gon's clothes (and hair) on a regular PC, so, yeah. Gotta use one of the existing weapons.

Can't remember if there's a fishing pole, but you can stab people with a giant shark or smash them with a large piece of meat, at least.

MH already temporarily solved the "unarmed" issue with other anime inspired weapon set from One Piece using Luffy as the inspiration. Luffy's fists use the dual sword moveset so there is that. They also created a Zoro weapon set borrowing the Great Sword moveset. I could see Gon's fishing rod being a reskin of the longsword.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Good news!

Shueisha recently confirmed the hiatus is planned to carry on for the foreseeable future.
http://kotaku.com/hunter-x-hunters-hiatus-will-continue-for-now-says-pub-1795156126

That's what good news means right?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Good. Wouldn't want the hiatus to be put on hiatus when it's been goin' on so smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I know it's popular but that hotel room story has to be true for them still to allow such long hiatuses.