Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I think we can all agree that the worst thing about shugoki by far is that their heel click emote can only be done by bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Shugoki options against someone who's turtling:

Light attack -> blocked
Heavy attack -> blocked/parried
Unblockable heavy -> parried
Guard break -> teched
Charge of the Oni -> Sidestepped
Demon's Embrace -> Sidestepped and now you're probably dead

He seems uniquely unable to deal with it, every single attack he has is too slow to hit. Even bad characters Lawbringer at least have Shove and Long Arm so you can pressure them and try to make them slip up. If you're Shugoki and going up against someone who refuses to attack you, you might as well leave the match since you have zero effective options to try and open them up. Best you can hope for is to feint over and over and maybe get in a light attack from it.

Your light is just as fast as half the other character's lights. You can complain about it being too slow but you've got more options than most characters and your whining comes off as really grating.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Shugoki options against someone who's turtling:

Light attack -> blocked
Heavy attack -> blocked/parried
Unblockable heavy -> parried
Guard break -> teched
Charge of the Oni -> Sidestepped
Demon's Embrace -> Sidestepped and now you're probably dead

He seems uniquely unable to deal with it, every single attack he has is too slow to hit. Even bad characters Lawbringer at least have Shove and Long Arm so you can pressure them and try to make them slip up. If you're Shugoki and going up against someone who refuses to attack you, you might as well leave the match since you have zero effective options to try and open them up. Best you can hope for is to feint over and over and maybe get in a light attack from it.

Feint to bait out the parry.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

NeurosisHead posted:

this is how i lose to good shugokis

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Just charge them over and over again. Since you're running at mach 5 you will hardly ever get punished and you get a free heavy when you connect. Your using one the the best characters for breaking defensive players and whining about it.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I find that vs good defensive players opening them up is almost always about mind games than it is applying a specific move/attack/strategy.

Unless I'm playing PK, then I just spin my stick and light attack and zone attack randomly.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Captain Beans posted:

I find that vs good defensive players opening them up is almost always about mind games than it is applying a specific move/attack/strategy.

Unless I'm playing PK, then I just spin my stick and light attack and zone attack randomly.
it is about using all your options in an unpredictable manner

in that guy's case, he needs to use the feint game more, as it is the primary method of baiting out things so you can punish them

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

cams posted:

lol complaining about "turtles."

It's an actual problem though when it comes to warlord, who's pretty much the best character in the game right now with how powerful pure defensive play is, not to mention that they have so many tools anyway that all give guaranteed damage.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

NeurosisHead posted:

This.

Feinting is how you gently caress a defensive character's poo poo up, ESPECIALLY as Shugoki since you can draw out the parry and then win the trade of heavies because of your super armor.

Watched a stream where a Shugoki was intentionally baiting hits to get to red then intentionally doing a trade into the bear hug to literally murder them immediately in one hit. Went through like 5 duels where he'd do it at least once to each of them, and then he'd clown on them with feints for the other rounds after crushing their spirits so thoroughly. Guy was a goddamn artist. :allears:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Every class is viable if your feint game is good. Every class is equally good at baiting out parries and punishing them if you can play mind game. It's just retarded that they gave some classes so many tools and some absolutely none.

Making Warden: Alright let's give him a great overhead to interrupt heavies, a double side light, a fast long ranged zone attack, and quick guard stance changes. To help fight defensive players let's also give him a variable distance unblockable shoulder charge that can be done from any dodge direction, and can be cancelled into a guard break or followed up with a quick attack.

Making Conquerer: How about an unpunishable shield bash that can be done repeatedly forever, and if you get someone out of stamina or backed into a wall its basically a death sentence. Oh and a near instant full block stance.

Making Kensei: Well he's the same archetype as Warden...but we kind of already gave him a ton of good tools and we don't want to just copy that...how about a slightly longer weapon with way, way slower light attacks and an unblockable thats crazy easy to dodge? I guess a dash GB for catching someone who is literally tabbed out of the game an wont see it coming?

Making Raider: gently caress I'm out of ideas, just give him a long throw I guess?

Making Peacekeeper: Just make her attacks really really fast and give her a bleed or something.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Are you arguing that Peacekeeper needs anything else in the game's current state?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Gear (even this current hosed up implementation) I think would be mostly fine if it didn't require a huge investment to get. My only real problem with it is that it disincentivizes playing low level characters in 4v4 games.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

FunkMonkey posted:

Are you arguing that Peacekeeper needs anything else in the game's current state?

Hell no, but her design is pretty lazy. She's only good because she's so fast she's basically playing a different game than every other class.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
well feints are cool if you have unblockables i guess, if you dont who gives a poo poo.

Tha_Joker_GAmer fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 14, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Fuzz posted:

This.

Feinting is how you gently caress a defensive character's poo poo up, ESPECIALLY as Shugoki since you can draw out the parry and then win the trade of heavies because of your super armor.

Watched a stream where a Shugoki was intentionally baiting hits to get to red then intentionally doing a trade into the bear hug to literally murder them immediately in one hit. Went through like 5 duels where he'd do it at least once to each of them, and then he'd clown on them with feints for the other rounds after crushing their spirits so thoroughly. Guy was a goddamn artist. :allears:

I really need to focus on this, I guess. Looking up the frame data for Shugoki, every attack he has predictably takes longer to come out than every other character. Doesn't work out too well against someone with good reflexes, so his entire kit is kind of useless unless you're baiting them into trying to attack you with feints. This is essentially a fighting game even though the mechanics are different in a fundamental way, it makes sense that high level play will end up looking ridiculous. I'm watching tournaments of people who are really good at the game and it's the same sort of twitching back and forth endlessly without actually attacking that you see in Tekken or Melee.

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

every attack he has predictably takes longer to come out than every other character.

Kensei's side light attacks are waaaaay slower

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

It's just retarded that they gave some classes so many tools and some absolutely none.

Then you have Lawman, who actually has a pretty good amount of tricks in his arsenal, but none of them really do anything for him most of the time, while mostly being good at helping allies knock someone around.

Like if you gave him a guaranteed heavy off NO SUPESTES or something, he'd probably take a pretty decent step up in 1 on 1 usefulness right there.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
Took a few days off from the game, didn't play all weekend.

First game I attempt this evening errors out with the game 3/4 of the way finished.

So incredibly frustrating. :negative:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I really wish they'd make it where if you're almost dead you can't sprint. Having to chase people down when they bitch out is getting old.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

Then you have Lawman, who actually has a pretty good amount of tricks in his arsenal, but none of them really do anything for him most of the time, while mostly being good at helping allies knock someone around.

Like if you gave him a guaranteed heavy off NO SUPESTES or something, he'd probably take a pretty decent step up in 1 on 1 usefulness right there.

I really do think they balanced the game around different game modes. It's pretty clear that characters like Raider and Lawbringer are supposed to be better in 4v4. However that's an incredibly loving stupid way to balance a game because a class being good at 1v1 doesn't make them worse at 4v4, but a character being designed for 4v4 obviously makes them shittier at duels.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I really do think they balanced the game around different game modes. It's pretty clear that characters like Raider and Lawbringer are supposed to be better in 4v4. However that's an incredibly loving stupid way to balance a game because a class being good at 1v1 doesn't make them worse at 4v4, but a character being designed for 4v4 obviously makes them shittier at duels.

Outside of PK (fast as gently caress), Warlord (if they play defensive max it sucks), Conq (if they play defensive max it sucks) I feel like all the other classes are on pretty good footing, well minus lawbringer really who is indeed better in 4v4 modes than 1v1.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Captain Beans posted:

Outside of PK (fast as gently caress), Warlord (if they play defensive max it sucks), Conq (if they play defensive max it sucks) I feel like all the other classes are on pretty good footing, well minus lawbringer really who is indeed better in 4v4 modes than 1v1.

Nah, Warden is overall just a way better class than either of its counterpart Vanguards, mainly because of that shoulder check and overall speed.

That said, gently caress the Warden, Kensei is way more fun and rewarding to play.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

meat on a Friday posted:

Kensei's side light attacks are waaaaay slower

Yeah, overlooked that. I'm going off these, assuming they're correct:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveForHonor/comments/5v95fy/character_attack_speed_list/

90 frames for a zone attack as well, good lord.

e: and Raider side lights are slow as hell apparently. I never really see anyone playing them.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For active guard classes, if I block an attack or get hit, can I hold my mouse/right stick to the right to get the guard to come out as soon as I leave hitstun, or do I have to move from neutral to right when I'm able to block to get the block up?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Yeah, overlooked that. I'm going off these, assuming they're correct:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveForHonor/comments/5v95fy/character_attack_speed_list/

90 frames for a zone attack as well, good lord.

e: and Raider side lights are slow as hell apparently. I never really see anyone playing them.

The zone hits everywhere but straight ahead of you in those 90 frames, too. You can apparently unlock and turn left immediately on starting it to catch people immediately by surprise, but it's risky as gently caress and if they're blocking left they have free reign to punish you and probably kill you before you can regain lock and block in the correct direction.

In duels you basically will rarely get off the three hit unless they suck, and the unblockable top is literally only to be used I that rare circumstance where you dash GBed and threw them when they were out of stamina, so they're on the ground, or you throw them into a wall. Basically, situations where they can't block anyway. There's a way to feint directly back into it to throw off the timingbut I suck poo poo at managing it and even if you do it's risky since they can still just roll sideways and punish you and, more importantly, you'd already use stamina to start the combo and that would burn up more.

Honestly I have more luck baiting people into loving up teching your dash GB for a free overhead heavy than I do with all of that poo poo. As Kensai you basically need to peacock a lot and do dashing forward blocks with no attack or GB a lot to throw them off so they won't know what the hell to expect from you. I find the matches where I'm not unpredictably dashing forward at them randomly are the ones I either do poorly or just straight lose.

I will say I'm not a Kensei or even dueling expert by any stretch... I'd rate myself as mediocre, maybe above average but not by much.

Still, it's a fun class.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 14, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The ZA does have hyper armor from start to finish so it's not all bad. Also, even if they parry it, it can be hard to punish effectively.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

fadam posted:

Gear (even this current hosed up implementation) I think would be mostly fine if it didn't require a huge investment to get. My only real problem with it is that it disincentivizes playing low level characters in 4v4 games.

This is my biggest issue tbh

I liked playing different characters a bunch. I usually don't stick to just one character...but now I feel at a disadvantage doing so and I can't help but feel compelled to "grind it out" on one character to get the gear level up so my stats improve... This is murdering my interest in the game. It's way chiller if you can just pick any character and have good odds right off the bat

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Some gear stats just need to be toned down a bit. I only really feel disadvantaged when my opponents are getting revenge every 3 or so seconds.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
People are boosting their dmg as well. I've been two-shot by people in revenge mode while I have to hit a dude four hundred thousand times to kill him

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Wouldn't hurt to have revive speed toned down a bit in 4vs4 either, had to kill a team practically 3 times because their team had full revive gear and a few with the passive, they revived in under a second, they could revive a teammate by the time my swing hit them.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Wouldn't hurt to have revive speed toned down a bit in 4vs4 either, had to kill a team practically 3 times because their team had full revive gear and a few with the passive, they revived in under a second, they could revive a teammate by the time my swing hit them.
Can't revive a dude what's been thrown off a bridge.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Even non-buffed revive speed is reason #2 why anything but 1v1 is dogshit in this game.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Casnorf posted:

Can't revive a dude what's been thrown off a bridge.

Depending on where they land, you definitely can.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
It is the year 1284. Bridges exist. Guardrails are made of titanium. Highly sought after, rarely used.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

10 Beers posted:

Depending on where they land, you definitely can.

Well, sure, if you wanna get semantic about it! Don't throw'em those places! Huck'em offa ledge into a pit or out of bounds, of course.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Throw them into a shallow fountain! Instant death and can never be revived

Fountains of doom

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Honestly, that one's probably my favourite environmental hazard. Foot-deep puddle of doom. :allears:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

There's too many good games at the moment so I'm out of this game until they add some new content and fix what needs fixing.

It's kinda crazy how slow they're being at patching out big bugs and stuff like the debuff resistance giving extra time to counter GB or whatnot.

Then you've got stuff like "gear is meant to be a sideways upgrade" and you realise they made a technical fighter without playtesting it all.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Double Bill posted:

Even non-buffed revive speed is reason #2 why anything but 1v1 is dogshit in this game.

Learn to execute? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Learn to execute? :shrug:

He knows how to execute. Anyone who plays this game knows. Sometimes you finish with a light hit but you know that also.