Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Parallels between the IRA and Sinn Fein have been drawn before now, if that helps.

Fred is trying to legitimise the OPA politically, but he's not quite there in the show yet. It's more of an open secret he leads an OPA faction than anything else, Tycho Station is still technically under the control of the Tycho corporation. That's why he needed those missiles as leverage to get to the negotiating table with Earth and Mars.

Ironically, Dawes ousting the Earth governor and being put in charge of Ceres has given the OPA more legitimacy than any of Fred's gambits up to now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Phi230 posted:

I guess the OPA isn't as scrappy Hezbollah in space anymore because after Eros they should be a legitimate governing force in the system.

So they're hamas then

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

tooterfish posted:

Ironically, Dawes ousting the Earth governor and being put in charge of Ceres has given the OPA more legitimacy than any of Fred's gambits up to now.

Earth pulled out of Ceres to avoid being caught in the middle of Mars/Belt drama following the attacks on the Canterbury and Donnager, not because Dawes managed to force them out. He/his OPA faction was certainly happy to fill that power vacuum, though.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

The Iron Rose posted:

So they're hamas then

Which I guess makes Johnson the PLO?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Which I guess makes Johnson the PLO?

Pretty much. Johnson is totes Abbas

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

The Iron Rose posted:

Mars is Israel and the US is the UN?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

The actor who plays Holden was Warren Peace in the movie Sky High.

Sort of blew my mind when I saw it on IMDB.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Iron Rose posted:

He does seem like a dancing queen

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
When was earth pulling out of Ceres discussed? Is that a book thing, or did I just miss it? There were riots and Mars and the belters were pissed at each other, then Miller got fired and hosed off. Dawes was the de facto leader from the beginning, but I don't recall earth actually pulling out and Dawes officially taking over.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

counterfeitsaint posted:

When was earth pulling out of Ceres discussed? Is that a book thing, or did I just miss it? There were riots and Mars and the belters were pissed at each other, then Miller got fired and hosed off. Dawes was the de facto leader from the beginning, but I don't recall earth actually pulling out and Dawes officially taking over.

Miller might have watched a news feed on the ship to Eros or on Eros?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A little bit of Season 1 chat as it relates to Amazon.

Amazon's search REALLY REALLY sucks and I uncovered through Instantwatcher that Season 1 is avaliable in UHD.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0SMDTT/ref=atv_feed_catalog&tag=iw_prime_tv-20&ref_=asc_homepage

And yes, it's real 4k as far as I can tell. It actually looks substantially better than the blu-rays. I'm actually really pissed that there's not a UHD blu-ray release or I can't buy the new season 2 episodes as they air in UHD.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
While I agree with you about wanting a UHD purchase for season 2, it looks so gorgeous as is I can't imagine it looking that much better.

Also, time for another session 1 rewatch!

vvvvv this guy gets it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bull3964 posted:

A little bit of Season 1 chat as it relates to Amazon.

Amazon's search REALLY REALLY sucks and I uncovered through Instantwatcher that Season 1 is avaliable in UHD.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0SMDTT/ref=atv_feed_catalog&tag=iw_prime_tv-20&ref_=asc_homepage

And yes, it's real 4k as far as I can tell. It actually looks substantially better than the blu-rays. I'm actually really pissed that there's not a UHD blu-ray release or I can't buy the new season 2 episodes as they air in UHD.

BRB, re‐watching season one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Watching "The Expanse" on a 65" OLED is amazing. I'm glad they don't screw up the black level when mastering the show. Having space be completely and totally black with the bright flares of the dives looks incredible.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Platystemon posted:

Dawes is pre‐revolutionary Fidel Castro.

This makes me like Dawes more. Castro was the best.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'll have to rewatch season 1 to check. If they included it, Earth officially withdrawing from Ceres would've been right around when Miller got fired.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Error 404 posted:

This makes me like Dawes more. Castro was the best.

Dawes is a lot less racist against Earthers in the belt than Castro was to blacks in Cuba and there's no reason to think Dawes is homophobic at all (or does the protomolecule = HIV?) so the comparison doesn't seem terribly apt, but you like the sort of political violence against minorities that you like, I guess.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Baronjutter posted:

You know who else isn't that interesting at times? Holden. He always does the right thing, he's such a perfect neutral good main player character but can be really wooden and boring at times.

From the beginning, Holden has reminded me mostly of One from Dark Matter. I don't know why they decided he should be in charge of anything, because he's utterly ineffectual. He pretends to be good and moral as a cover for indecisiveness and lack of conviction. I don't see what he supposedly contributes to anything.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006

Apparently i'm an idiot cuz I just now realized that Anderson Dawes is played by Jared Harris, aka King George VI on The Crown, and Lane Pryce on Mad Men (light spoilers for both).
I wouldn't say he's got wide range, but I could listen to him monologue in any accent all day :allears:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tiggum posted:

From the beginning, Holden has reminded me mostly of One from Dark Matter. I don't know why they decided he should be in charge of anything, because he's utterly ineffectual. He pretends to be good and moral as a cover for indecisiveness and lack of conviction. I don't see what he supposedly contributes to anything.

Sometimes there's a role for just being that sort of moral guy that holds everyone together not through any particular skill or leadership but just because they fell into the role and everyone trusts them enough.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Dawes is a lot less racist against Earthers in the belt than Castro was to blacks in Cuba and there's no reason to think Dawes is homophobic at all (or does the protomolecule = HIV?) so the comparison doesn't seem terribly apt, but you like the sort of political violence against minorities that you like, I guess.

If you're going to be like that about it then there's no point trying to make a comparison to anyone at any point in history ever, except maybe the last 15 years.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's a book thing; the entire first book is pretty much concentrated on the Belt vs Mars with Earth as an afterthought (in fact, Earth and Mars are coordinated in having a anti-piracy patrol they both participate together in); as soon as the poo poo hits the fan in the belt Earth pulls out of belt stations entirely. Miller doesn't get fired because he learns too much and tipped off his hand early; he gets fired more because he's a dead weight and the captain doesn't trust him to watch her back when OPA takes control of the station.

Outside of Earth's nukes, pulling out of the Belt, and Protogen, it might as well not exist in Leviathan Wakes.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 14, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

counterfeitsaint posted:

If you're going to be like that about it then there's no point trying to make a comparison to anyone at any point in history ever, except maybe the last 15 years.

Bit of a tangent, but I really dislike this idea in history. It basically acts as a whitewash and erases the stories of people at the time who did actually resist problematic hegemonic thoughts in favour of preserving the image of certain figures.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

gohmak posted:

Mars is Israel and the US is the UN?

I'd say UN is Israel while Mars is kind of like Saudi Arabia.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

It's hard to even compare the Belter's situation to any contemporary political situation because of the physiological realities of being a Belter. Even if there was room on Earth, they could never live there, there is no home for Belters on Mars or Earth, their bodies can't take it. Their fates are consigned to the spaces between gravity wells unless they're willing to accept a complete obliteration of what makes them Belters in the first place.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Most Belters could tolerate the gravity of a moon—probably even Mars, if they can set foot on Ceres or a station like Tycho.

Getting down the gravity well might be a problem, but with the efficiency of an Epstein drive, you could make an arbitarily soft landing.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 14, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ATP_Power posted:

It's hard to even compare the Belter's situation to any contemporary political situation because of the physiological realities of being a Belter. Even if there was room on Earth, they could never live there, there is no home for Belters on Mars or Earth, their bodies can't take it.

Obviously they couldn't handle a sudden change, but adjustment via gradual increases in gravity would be quite possible.

Humans are one of the most adaptable species in existence. Being a Belter doesn't change that.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Platystemon posted:

Most Belters could tolerate the gravity of a moon—probably even Mars, if they can set foot on Ceres or a station like Tycho.

Getting down the gravity well might be a problem, but with the efficiency of an Epstein drive, you could make an arbitarily soft landing.
True, but any moon in the system will never have a climate like Earth or Mars. Whether it's Luna or Ganymede, Belters would still live in conditions not a great deal different than Ceres or an O'Neill Cylinder, the life of the inner planets is not in their future.

E:

enraged_camel posted:

Obviously they couldn't handle a sudden change, but adjustment via gradual increases in gravity would be quite possible.

Humans are one of the most adaptable species in existence. Being a Belter doesn't change that.
Also true, but that wouldn't be true for everyone who is a Belter, and would the people known as Belters exist after an adaptation process like that? Forced to survive, the Humans who are Belters now might be able to adapt a part of their population to live in Earth-like conditions, but it wouldn't be everyone, and especially in the context of Earth or Mars existing, how would those people preserve the culture beyond physiology that makes them Belters?

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 14, 2017

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I'm bad at posting.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

MizPiz posted:

I'd say UN is Israel while Mars is kind of like Saudi Arabia.

I the books the UN is like Uganda while Mars is like Laos.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The OPA isn't Hamas because, to stretch the analogy, a vaguely anti western drug gang isn't Hamas and an organisation of Palestinian peace activists isn't Hamas.

Like the OPA militants are comparable, sure. But a crew of belt pirates or a ceres dockyard union would say they are just as much OPA and have no connection to the hardliners' hierarchy at all.

Whuch makes you wonder about Dawes giving the 'secret weapon' to the belt because there's absolutely no structure for him to control them all, even with his connections.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Bit of a tangent, but I really dislike this idea in history. It basically acts as a whitewash and erases the stories of people at the time who did actually resist problematic hegemonic thoughts in favour of preserving the image of certain figures.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

counterfeitsaint posted:

Do you really not?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Platystemon posted:

A lot of Belt stations are at Mars gravity, 0.38 g, so most belters can handle that. Titan, Ganymede, and Callisto are populated moons with pretty low gravity. 0.14g, 0.15g, 0.13g respectively. And the Moon would be fine, that's 0.16g.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

counterfeitsaint posted:

Hitler was a racist genocidal maniac, Churchill's views of Indians and his inaction during the Bengal famine was just how people were at the time.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's a book thing; the entire first book is pretty much concentrated on the Belt vs Mars with Earth as an afterthought (in fact, Earth and Mars are coordinated in having a anti-piracy patrol they both participate together in); as soon as the poo poo hits the fan in the belt Earth pulls out of belt stations entirely. Miller doesn't get fired because he learns too much and tipped off his hand early; he gets fired more because he's a dead weight and the captain doesn't trust him to watch her back when OPA takes control of the station.

Outside of Earth's nukes, pulling out of the Belt, and Protogen, it might as well not exist in Leviathan Wakes.

No, in the book Miller gets fired because Dawes tells Shadid to do so. She knows that Star Helix is pulling out and Dawes OPA was signing the new pay checks.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The OPA reminds me of my favourite mass murdering strongman from the cold war :v:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I the books the UN is like Uganda while Mars is like Laos.

So then OPA would be like the Zapatistas.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Toast Museum posted:

Do you really not?

I can't speak for counterfeitsaint, but I really have no idea what WhiskeyWhiskers's post meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Number Ten Cocks posted:

What sort of gusano welwala, kaka felota is this?

gohmak fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 14, 2017

• Locked thread