Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pewdiepi was just being a edgy shitlord making /pol/ jokes. jontron fell hard into the alt right poo poo. which makes me sad because he was pretty funny.

there's no functional difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
bad parents will always find a way to break their children

only difference is that, sadly, "hmm im going to leave this eight year old alone with pewdiepie videos for six hours a day every day" isnt grounds to take their kids away

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

in general parents probably just see video games on the screen and don't think twice about it

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pewdiepi was just being a edgy shitlord making /pol/ jokes. jontron fell hard into the alt right poo poo. which makes me sad because he was pretty funny.

I do wonder if the alt right traps a lot of people into it because they feel alone, isolated by quite a few on the insane. by the insane tumblr-like SJW's that exist.

THIS. DOES. NOT. EXCUSE. BEING. ALT. RIGHT.

This does however make me wonder if a lot of people were pushed into this because of it being a reaction to the most toxic involved in Id. Pol movements.

FuzzySkinner has issued a correction as of 01:22 on Mar 14, 2017

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

I do wonder if the alt right traps a lot of people into it because they feel alone, isolated by quite a few on the insane. by the insane tumblr-like SJW's that exist.

This does however make me wonder if a lot of people were pushed into this because of it being a reaction to the most toxic involved in Id. Pol movements.

imo people get pushed into the direction they were already leaning

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FuzzySkinner posted:

This does however make me wonder if a lot of people were pushed into this because of it being a reaction to the most toxic of Id. Pol movements.

this, i can sorta sympathise with him, he got alot of poo poo a while ago by sjw types for stupid poo poo a few years back so i could understand if he went right wing(or better actual left wing) but instead he started hanging out with the alt right dickheads like sargon and others. now he is quoting bullshit "race science". i never get this idea of just because some there are stupid gently caress and assholes on the woke "left" but why go full retard snowflake nazi. it seems retarded and pointless.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

why are so many youtube personalities tacking hard right

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh Snapple! posted:

this actually is true and not something I'd initially thought about until I read a comment to similar effect. Shits like jontron and pewdiepie inundate kids with a lot of lovely behavior that they pick up solely because it's "cool."

I honestly don't think the alt-right would be half as big as it is if it weren't for South Park singlehandedly making casual anti-semitism acceptable again.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

get that OUT of my face posted:

zeitgeist

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

its a mixed bag. i think a bunch of the athiest types started going right as they saw that parts of the left wernt as "fact/academic minded" as they pretended to be like with the woke tumblr/twitter types. i think gamergate accelerated the shift into overdrive.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this, i can sorta sympathise with him, he got alot of poo poo a while ago by sjw types for stupid poo poo a few years back so i could understand if he went right wing(or better actual left wing) but instead he started hanging out with the alt right dickheads like sargon and others. now he is quoting bullshit "race science". i never get this idea of just because some there are stupid gently caress and assholes on the woke "left" but why go full retard snowflake nazi. it seems retarded and pointless.

Yeah I don't want to defend it, but I see a bit of authoritarian streak in some on the social justice movement.

https://twitter.com/AyeshaASiddiqi/status/825112069779251204

This type of poo poo happens for example. Will Wheaton is...a douche. That being said...when even he is being lumped into this fictional strawman people like this wanker i just posted did? Well yeah, that's gonna create more anger, resentment and people running to find their own version of White Id. Pol.

Oh Snapple! posted:

imo people get pushed into the direction they were already leaning

Could also be the case.

I grew up in a republican household and I still have those traits pretty much programmed into me admittingly.

It's a problem, and it's something that needs to be taken care of.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

youtube on the whole is full of very dumb people who are easily swayed by other dumb people

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Maybe they're sick of self-censoring and think it's easier to pander to a crowd that doesn't go berserk whenever they say a bigoted joke now and then?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I honestly don't think the alt-right would be half as big as it is if it weren't for South Park singlehandedly making casual anti-semitism acceptable again.
even though cartman's anti-semitism is clearly a joke, it's been done so much as a plot point and misinterpreted by middle school idiots that it's hard not to hate the show for it

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah I don't want to defend it, but I see a bit of authoritarian streak in some on the social justice movement.

https://twitter.com/AyeshaASiddiqi/status/825112069779251204
you couldn't have picked a better example of an authoritarian figure in internet social justice. i guess she deleted the tweet but she once said she admires the "immigrant diaspora" for being so family focused and remaining "fiercely united." sounds a bit... volkish to me

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

isolated millionaires.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

punching down makes for easy jokes, and punching down as a political philosophy is fascism

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Guy Goodbody posted:

worse than that is the way south park humor is so rooted in "both sides are always equally bad, therefore the problem is actually the people who have opinions"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

even though cartman's anti-semitism is clearly a joke, it's been done so much as a plot point and misinterpreted by middle school idiots that it's hard not to hate the show for it

you couldn't have picked a better example of an authoritarian figure in internet social justice. i guess she deleted the tweet but she once said she admires the "immigrant diaspora" for being so family focused and remaining "fiercely united." sounds a bit... volkish to me

yeah she is pretty loving bad. there are other less famous ones too, that have the same awful streak but they are also hosed up sad brains who are either zealots, trying to get laid, or both.

wasnt she trying to defend wahabis and stuff for while.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 02:10 on Mar 14, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah she is pretty loving bad. there are other less famous ones too, that have the same awful streak but they are also hosed up sad brains who are either zealots, trying to get laid, or both.

MTV/Buzzfeed has an entire roster of these types of people.

mormonpartyboat posted:

worse than that is the way south park humor is so rooted in "both sides are always equally bad, therefore the problem is actually the people who have opinions"

Yeah i hate that poo poo.

I mean, it's Will Wheaton for god's sake. A guy who I personally can't stand.

But these type of people are actually the enemies of social justice because they successfully create opposition figures and push away people (of all backgrounds, not just white) away from their cause.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

being glad that a bunch of wholly different cultures came here and kept their culture alive is the opposite of 'volkish' bullshit

and, on a broader level, don't confuse authoritarianism with violence. violence is inherent in the exercise of power, and people using violent language in their resistance is part of the nature of the power dynamic - for many people, being lovely on twitter is the only way they can feel like they're changing anything or part of a system due to how incredibly hosed the american political system is. those actions also serve to push the overton window; if the "correct" position is somewhere to the right of them, you need those people who are "wrong" to normalize your preferred position

that's drastically different from actual authoritarianism. i'll take ten thousand nobodys on twitter or tumblr writing stupid poo poo that nobody but themselves read over one steve bannon

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

super sweet best pal posted:

Maybe they're sick of self-censoring and think it's easier to pander to a crowd that doesn't go berserk whenever they say a bigoted joke now and then?

it is easy to pander to racist morons, yes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

probaly. but going full alt right because of some dumb gently caress twitter/tumblr clowns still stupid and awful and short sighted.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Manchildren often get really angry at actions having consequences, yes.

In general the alt-right always struck me as being buoyed by the reactions of folks running into a sudden inability to do or say whatever the gently caress they want without getting called on it.

Oh Snapple! has issued a correction as of 02:33 on Mar 14, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMSRAz2VZqk

Here have a Steven Crowder video.

Cenk kinda owned him.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Confirmation Bias. There are a shitload of people on youtube, most aren't "hard right" or political at all. In fact the majority of them don't give a gently caress and just want to play with electricity, or shoot poo poo, or talk about math or video games or whatever.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Jesus Christ. They literally think we're a nation of 3rd graders don't they?
john oliver can actually be funny, but the only humor that he puts in Last Week Tonight are stupid pop culture comparisons. he realized that he can put no effort into being funny and still get universal praise for "being brave" or whatever

mormonpartyboat posted:

being glad that a bunch of wholly different cultures came here and kept their culture alive is the opposite of 'volkish' bullshit
taken within the context of her twitter presence, it definitely comes off as authoritarian

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I would think that the Pewdiepie thing, which has more than a sniff of friendly journalists doing hitpieces to help trigger a contract cancellation without reimbursement for a company on shaky financial footing, would be a reasonable cause of concern for a lot of people who derive their income from youtube.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I post this every time John Oliver comes up and also watch it again because it's perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAFS1gwzTTs

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

The same reason west coast entertainers tack toward liberal technocratic capitalism as a world saving tonic; they don't have "real" jobs so they have no idea how things function and liberal technocratic capitalists are all over the place in Cali & are nice to them without seeming to want anything or to criticize their lifestyle. Youtube entertainers live on the internet, which is right wing central and leftists don't have a great track record when it comes to speaking nicely to people they don't agree with online. When a Jontron or a Pewdiepie does something truly dumb or ugly the left goes "hey, you're a loving rear end in a top hat; stop being an rear end in a top hat, because you're making the world a worse place," woke liberals begin screeching & pointing like a body snatcher, and the alt-right says "hey man, your only crime was not going far enough. please read these memes about europa and a frog then come hang out with us in hell."

So, I mean, if you're a spoiled idiot who receives praise because you talk through your nose about video games for a living, which one of those voices is going to appeal to you the most?

mysterious frankie has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Mar 14, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

mormonpartyboat posted:

it doesnt because im just sitting here laughing?

while i fully believe you should find your own way, there might be better ways than making sure u take time out of your day to be mad at lena dunham's continued existence

lots of things in this world are bad, and you should find ways to laugh at them and find joy in the world instead of stewing in unoriginal repetition of the same few mean and petty jokes!!!!

Your fixation on Lena Dunham is kinda weird. Have I mentioned her once in this thread?

But since you asked, the problem with Lena Dunham is that she's rich as hell and represents everything that's wrong with Clintonite democrats. She also seems a bit attention starved, but otherwise nice.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
A cool way to kick off some old-fashioned soviet-style purges would be to say something "lena dunham bad" and when someone three days later starts fuming about that and overton windows and twitter, you can brutally execute them

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

an actual dog posted:

I post this every time John Oliver comes up and also watch it again because it's perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAFS1gwzTTs
billy eichner owns

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83qlEuB0xrM

godDAMN the Dems need an intervention.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Guys....Guys...Guys.

Rachel Maddow.

That is all.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

jimmy is absolutely right that the democratic plan of just being "anti-trump" and offering no policy or platform is failing horribly

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

dore talking about voters in gallup polls identifying as democrats taking a dive off a cliff between 2008 and 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWKsRlAVVDk

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

maddow and the rest of the media are reporting about another trump tax return like it's a big deal

does anyone actually give a gently caress? why should I even care about this?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/14/us/politics/donald-trump-taxes.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/03/14/report-trump-paid-38-million-in-income-taxes-in-2005/?utm_term=.6cdef9dc7aa4

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

jimmy criticizing obama for sounding like a republican
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeBQC7h37DQ7

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

poo poo, even democrats haven't really talked about the tax returns for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

comedyblissoption posted:

maddow and the rest of the media are reporting about another trump tax return like it's a big deal

does anyone actually give a gently caress? why should I even care about this?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/14/us/politics/donald-trump-taxes.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/03/14/report-trump-paid-38-million-in-income-taxes-in-2005/?utm_term=.6cdef9dc7aa4

I never cared about the tax returns and I never will care about them. Additionally the tax returns she got are from 2005, why the gently caress should anyone give a poo poo about that?

I say lock her up,.

• Locked thread