Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

More horses? I'm interested.

Edit: beaten, nevermind! I'm already chief of staff of something.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Trin, we're about wrapping up. When we expecting the other team to be finished putting in their orders?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loel posted:

Trin, we're about wrapping up. When we expecting the other team to be finished putting in their orders?

Sixkiller hasn't updated orders yet.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
General Sixkiller, I have relayed your orders to the men, but there's a problem. They're Welsh.

The men don't understand where on the road they should be defending Stethoscope, or how long they should be driving for before they prepare to shoot.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Loel posted:

All those divisions and artillery pieces are hard to co-ordinate, maybe.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Im particularly proud of our timetable map. My officers have put a lot of effort into it :3:

Observers, admire! :D

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'm proudest of my bad jokes and my less bad jokes.

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
1. How do you feel the planning for this battle has gone, in general?

2. How confident are you in the plans and orders that you personally have laid for this battle?

3. How confident are you in fulfilling the various objectives set by the Army Commander?

4. Is there any one aspect of the battle that seems to you will be most critical, on which success or failure is most likely to turn?

5. Thinking optimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

6. Thinking pessimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
1. How do you feel the planning for this battle has gone, in general?

2. How confident are you in the plans and orders that you personally have laid for this battle?

3. How confident are you in fulfilling the various objectives set by the Army Commander?

4. Is there any one aspect of the battle that seems to you will be most critical, on which success or failure is most likely to turn?

5. Thinking optimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

6. Thinking pessimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

:allears:

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
Orders are done!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Sixkiller posted:

Orders are done!

Roll 20 wants to talk to you, I think it's time for your My Dad Proofreading Session™.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Sixkiller posted:

Orders are done!

Things you need to fix if possible:

If you see the enemy, you need to hold your ground. Turning to face would take time, and take your guys off the road. You really, really don't want that to happen.

Your formations are all scattered. Your guys can make great use of the billy bonus, but it requires compact formations with chits touching one another.

You placed a chit inside Stethoscope. It can only shoot into the town. I don't think that's what you wanted to do.

Your final formation is too far from the road.

You can rotate your chits on roll20. Please do so where needed.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am going to be going on a trip on Tuesday to Thursday. I have no idea how able I will be to give orders and due to the nature of my command I have no idea how much new orders I will need to give. Still though this is something to be aware off and I may need a second in case I am unable to post continuations of my orders.

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
New, new orders are done!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Loel posted:

Let's pull the trigger on this and get things going. I want to see how many Germans we kill.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm still worried about Sixkiller's conditionals,but c'est la vie.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

my dad posted:

I'm still worried about Sixkiller's conditionals,but c'est la vie.

c'est la mort. :colbert:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

xthetenth posted:

c'est la mort. :colbert:

c'est la guerre :c00lbert:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

my dad posted:

c'est la guerre :c00lbert:

ce n’est pas magnifique

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO1CsLRUfsY

Turn 1: 0800
British initiative

With a cheerful tootling of horns, all specially set to play Rule Britannia for the occasion, the RNAS Armoured Cars drive onto the field and split up according to plan. (A few miles behind them, Brigadier Pater Meus mutters a few sotto-voce fart jokes.)

Turn 2: 0830
British initiative

A pleasant drive through the countryside ensues.

Turn 3: 0900
German initiative

Gold enters the Foret de Effyaders.

Red fords the stream and approaches the sunken road.

Turn 4: 0930
British initiative

The advance continues unabated.

xthetenth leads another 6th Cavalry Brigade onto another battlefield, engineers in hot pursuit.

Turn 5: 1000
German initiative

The engineers approach their positions and begin work.

Gold continues motoring for its overwatch point.

Red arrives at its finishing point without sighting any enemies, and stops to await further developments.

xthetenth leads his men on up the road.

Turn 6: 1030
German initiative

The lieutenant (RN) in charge of Gold is rather confused by his orders; he has what appear to be conditional positions closer to Stethoscope, but no orders telling him when to take them up. He settles for holding position at the junction.

Still no news for Red. The men polish their Vickers guns nervously.

The cavalry approaches the ford.

Turn 7: 1100
German initiative

Both your engineers are now in position and hard at work.

The 6th Cavalry arrives at Stethoscope.

Just in time, it turns out, to see a German cavalry brigade burst out and charge the armoured cars! The 6th Cav halts and begins switching to Battle Order.

Important note: I am changing how I display units who are attempting close combat; they will now be shown having stopped short of the enemy companies they're trying to charge until after all eligible enemy companies have shot at them.

With the enemy's support companies still apparently moving into position, the MGs burst into life and wreak absolute havoc in the enemy's ranks.

One cavalry company survives unscathed, however; so now they close to combat...

Your lead two cars turn and retreat suppressed, but the third in line successfully repels the charge; then a worrying number of Germans rally from suppression...

Turn 8: 1130
German initiative

xthetenth takes up Battle Order.

The Germans' support units are now ready to fire. They take advantage of this.

Three dead does not trigger the "retreat at half casualties" conditional. The armoured cars return fire and use it all up killing and re-suppressing the enemy; none of their companies succeed in renewing the charge.

Oh, and it turns out that there's yet more German arse hortillery in Stethoscope; it picks off one of xthetenth's companies as they switch to Battle Order.

Full map overview:

Your Divisional HQ has successfully entered the map and I'll confirm in a few minutes when it will be hooked into the telephone network; I remind you that I keep them switched off at all times (unless being moved) so as not to run the risk of accidentally showing them to the enemy.

You have killed 5 enemy companies and lost 4.

:siren: The next soft deadline is 5pm Wednesday 15th March.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Still too early to say much. A lot will depend on the next two turns, and whether they sent someone to cross the ford to the north.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
We didn't shoot quite as well as I'd have hoped.

Otherwise that wasn't bad, given how they blundered into us.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Here's hoping the charge goes off right, I'm thinking I'm in for the ride, and it looks like it'll be an interesting one. I should probably have tried to close a bit more in marching formation if I could without taking another turn, but deploying outside MG range seemed like a good idea.

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
My units cut down most of their cavalry, so XTH should have a easy time.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
By the way, Sixkiller. I'd suggest orders to the effect of getting the northern cars down south to contribute and having most of the cars in the chemin drive into town to take advantage of billy bonuses with X's cavalry, assuming he takes the town.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Looks like X's charge next turn won't quite get to sabre range, but should definitely be close enough for carbines. Can cavalry fire when they're in the middle of a charge attack?

It's a good thing the ACs didn't lose enough units this turn to withdraw, since their retreat was one of X's conditionals for the cavalry to fall back during the approach to Stethoscope.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There is no such thing as "a charge attack" or "a charge move".

Companies move their full movement, with a number of exceptions. One is if they anticipate using rifle fire during a turn; then they can move half. They are disallowed from using rifle fire if they move more than half their movement during a turn, or if they go into close combat. If, during their movement, they come into base-to-base contact with an opponent, they will then attempt close combat. I will move companies in the manner I consider most favourable to them. Therefore:

In the given example, and assuming everything were to take place in open ground: the cavalry will move 6", look for targets, see targets, see that the targets are outwith their movement range, and stop to use rifle fire. Next turn they will repeat; move 6", look for targets, see targets, see they are within movement range, and then decide whether to continue moving or use rifle fire based on their Standing Order. If it says "charge", they move into contact. If it says "rifles", they hold and use rifle fire again. Then on the turn after that, they will move into close combat.

Note that the presence of cover considerably complicates the situation. If the cavalry moves 6" and then cannot see targets, they will keep moving. If they see targets away from their command arrow, they will do what I think is the best and fairest reflection of their orders. You may also be ambushed by companies in cover.

(Also, on a point of pedantry, British cavalry troopers are not issued with carbines; instead they use the same SMLE rifle as the infantry which was explicitly designed to be usable by both, and which is one of the very, very, very few occasions in the history of military procurement when a compromise was actually the best thing to do.)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 14, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Istvun posted:

We didn't shoot quite as well as I'd have hoped.

Otherwise that wasn't bad, given how they blundered into us.

They made it into the town before we were in position, switched to battle order and charged us. We got lucky, but we're about to get a little less lucky next turn. Hopefully we get initiative and X's arse hortilery manages to pick off the enemy arses.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Thanks for the explanation, didn't know how the move/fire mechanics were playing out in the background.

Do you happen to know what the British thought process was in giving their troopers regular rifles? Pretty much every other military seemed to have the idea of a shorter rifle to make it easier to fire while mounted, so I'm wondering if the difference was due to the British seeing their troopers in more of a mounted infantry role, emphasis on infantry.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

This is interesting.

I count 10 cav chits still on the map, plus the five we killed. Things I notice:
We are only facing one brigade in this area (as we would expect to see more rushing us if they had them).
They were heading on the southern road, and apparently were not expecting us. Speculatively, I think they were heading for M7. This suggests they think our south is the weakest position, so we may want to put our reinforcements in that area.
I think our other brigade can finish off theirs, although we'll be losing a lot of the AC brigade.
I think its more important to keep the AC remainder in the north as tripwires, just in case.
Im concerned they have a second brigade somewhere we don't see.

(These are initial thoughts, not orders)

Possible enemy disposition?

Speculative response.

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 14, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Loel posted:

Im concerned they have a second brigade somewhere we don't see.

*Points to brackets filled out with 2 infantry brigades, 1 cav brigade, and their reinforcements coming in sooner*

I'm hoping we clear steth soon. I'm also kind of hoping the ACs don't get too shredded to do it. This has the potential to get nasty for my guys and I hope we can do an adequate job scouting so my dad can get in the right position.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
We need to be prepared for the loss (or severe mauling) of Red Squadron and the 6th Cavalry Brigade. If there's more than one German cavalry brigade in town, the 6th Cavalry is going to get a very bloody nose -- and the ACs may not be around to help them. And if the ACs fall back, so will the 6th....

It's too late to change plans now, so we've got to hope for the best.

Keep a stiff upper lip, wot wot?

Sixkiller, get those northern ACs into the fight and in range of Steth.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Things aren't going bad. They could have gone better with a few tweaks, but there's no reason to be pessimistic yet.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Bit of a shame they got the drop on the ACs but they paid for it in blood.

I feel things aren't going poorly, we are dealing damage to their initial force they were not prepared for and hopefully are about to hold the forward position in Stethoscope, which I was pretty sure was out of our grasp. Right now they are probably freaking out in their thread about how cars can possibly be a thing in the game at this point. Could we have other cars elsewhere? They have to approach cautiously.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

The Belgians are suiting up for their inevitable entrance.

btw meet my favourite new page on the internet http://britishbattles.homestead.com/belgium.html

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 14, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Belgians are suiting up for their inevitable entrance.

btw meet my favourite new page on the internet http://britishbattles.homestead.com/belgium.html

I hope not; the Germans need to cross into the forest or the E1-E6 road before the Belgians come. Once they are past those positions it will be harder to push them back.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

HQ update: DHQ has arrived in the desired position and will be hooked into the telephone network on Turn 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary

Gold squad is to move south to these positions in the 12 o'clock road:

Fight at them.
Gun 'em down.
Do not pursue.
1/2 casualties are taken

{Conditional: if the 6th cav retreat from Stethoscope, the squad will drive back towards the Foret de Effyaders; if one of the cars gets disabled, the remaining car is to retreat back to the Foret de Effyaders. A runner will be sent to headquarters telling them of the situation, in all scenarios}

Fight at them.
Gun 'em down.
Do not pursue.
Last car is dead

Sixkiller fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 15, 2017

• Locked thread