Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Seaside Loafer posted:

Quoting self because no one answered and I was going to put 1995 up tonight if its working.

Google link worked for me, thanks for these!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Actually, come to think of it, don't most comedians do this? I know it was a big deal when Seinfeld 'told us for the last time', where he went through old bits literally for the last time, but if you're a comedian, don't you HAVE to do throw out all of your old stuff?

I used to really dislike Dave Attell because he kept doing the Amish sex and beer nipples bits, but at least he's gotten past that, and it pretty entertaining on the HSS.

They do and it sucks.

I HATE going to see a comedian do stuff off an album or from a special I already heard. I saw an interesting discussion about it on an HBO special where it was Louis CK, Seinfeld, Rock and Gervais and they were split on the idea of doing old bits. I went to see Stephen Wright and it was all stuff I'd heard before.

Comedy's not like music though in the sense that the law of diminishing returns is hastened with humor. It's kind of the opposite to music, actually, where at a rock show fewer people want to hear the new stuff.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

They do and it sucks.

I HATE going to see a comedian do stuff off an album or from a special I already heard. I saw an interesting discussion about it on an HBO special where it was Louis CK, Seinfeld, Rock and Gervais and they were split on the idea of doing old bits. I went to see Stephen Wright and it was all stuff I'd heard before.

Comedy's not like music though in the sense that the law of diminishing returns is hastened with humor. It's kind of the opposite to music, actually, where at a rock show fewer people want to hear the new stuff.

To add to this it's kind of funny because you have people like Dice, who back in their prime, would actually have requests. People would say the bit along with him. They knew exactly what it was. You've got people like Bert Kreischer nowadays where people yell "DO THE MACHINE!!" even though he's sick of telling the machine story. It seems that the "party animals" or "rock star" comedians get a pass in a way.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've often heard that the essence of humour, at its core, is surprise.

Doesn't 'surprise' me that hearing old bits doesn't have the same punch to it, if that's true.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Joey Boots dead of heroin overdose.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

lynch_69 posted:

Joey Boots dead of heroin overdose.

And once again, I am really interested to hear Artie's take.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Moniker posted:

To add to this it's kind of funny because you have people like Dice, who back in their prime, would actually have requests. People would say the bit along with him. They knew exactly what it was. You've got people like Bert Kreischer nowadays where people yell "DO THE MACHINE!!" even though he's sick of telling the machine story. It seems that the "party animals" or "rock star" comedians get a pass in a way.

Patton has a story about doing stand up for a room of drunks who just yelled "king of queens" and " "Ratatouille" at him for an hour.
Like someone said before, fame is weird.

The other thing about music vs comedy...at least live music or comedy, is that at some point you may get a "different" version of a song or an acoustic version or something....
Comedians seem to be the exact opposite. They craft a joke so specifically that they really WANT to say it the same way over and over again. And that makes sense, how many of us have tried to tell a joke or a story or whatever, and you gently caress up one word or line and its all over.
No one cares if Bruce bullshits his way through half Born to Run because he wants to play it different that night. It just becomes known as "the show where bruce played a ukulele and sang Born to Run in German"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Patton has a story about doing stand up for a room of drunks who just yelled "king of queens" and " "Ratatouille" at him for an hour.

The other thing about music vs comedy...at least live music or comedy, is that at some point you may get a "different" version of a song or an acoustic version or something....
Comedians seem to be the exact opposite. They craft a joke so specifically that they really WANT to say it the same way over and over again. And that makes sense, how many of us have tried to tell a joke or a story or whatever, and you gently caress up one word or line and its all over.
No one cares if Bruce bullshits his way through half Born to Run because he wants to play it different that night. It just becomes known as "the show where bruce played a ukulele and sang Born to Run in German"

Boff, the Bruce show last night was the best. He rambled for 45 minutes and then played the ukulele, boff!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

how many of us have tried to tell a joke or a story or whatever, and you gently caress up one word or line and its all over.

My dad tells this story (which has now become my story, about my dad) where he started to tell a joke about two women, Kate and Ethel, except that's wrong, because the punchline is 'which goes to show, you can't have your Kate and Edith too', but his version ends up with 'you can't have your Kate and.... uhh.... Ethel.... too..... drat, I messed that up. Wow.'

Ironically, I think that story gets more laughs than the actual dumb dad joke.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

My dad tells this story (which has now become my story, about my dad) where he started to tell a joke about two women, Kate and Ethel, except that's wrong, because the punchline is 'which goes to show, you can't have your Kate and Edith too', but his version ends up with 'you can't have your Kate and.... uhh.... Ethel.... too..... drat, I messed that up. Wow.'

Ironically, I think that story gets more laughs than the actual dumb dad joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU4cN5-yV2A

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, that was painful and funny because of that.

What's odd is that my dad is normally really good at telling jokes properly, which I think makes it all the better to me.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

haljordan posted:

Boff, the Bruce show last night was the best. He rambled for 45 minutes and then played the ukulele, boff!

How did Ross mark it on his live texted set list?

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I was reminded the other day of my favorite Howard Stern Show prank call. It was the Prince Charles one, specifically the line, "I'm and Earl and an O.B.E. and that makes me an earlobe..."

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

I dunno, Norm Macdonald tells variations on the same joke a ton

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I've often heard that the essence of humour, at its core, is surprise.

Doesn't 'surprise' me that hearing old bits doesn't have the same punch to it, if that's true.

I think this is true. Surprise is huge in delivering a clever punch line. Every time you listen to a comedy album it gets less and less funny. With music, even though you can get tired of certain songs, it seems to work in reverse and the more familiar you get with a song the more you like it and want to hear it again. Having it grow old takes much much longer. Like I still get chills when I hear "Gimme Shelter" or "When Doves Cry" but "Satisfaction" and "Purple Rain" not so much.

This probably doesn't belong in this thread but I've always felt that horror and comedy rely on the surprise factor, where once you've seen or heard it it's not scary or funny anymore and suffers from diminishing returns more than drama. This is born out when you stop and think about how cool it is and how much funnier and scarier it is to listen to comedy or watch a horror movie with someone who's never heard or seen it before.

The best punch lines are the ones that catch you off guard. Same with really great scares. I think the two are intertwined; fear and humor.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Hat Thoughts posted:

I dunno, Norm Macdonald tells variations on the same joke a ton

Norm Macdonald is really good and rises above other comedians (people like artie) that need a set routine to be funny. Norm on the Saget roast was pretty amazing

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BobbyK posted:

Norm Macdonald is really good and rises above other comedians (people like artie) that need a set routine to be funny. Norm on the Saget roast was pretty amazing

There are three legendary comedians in my books: George Carlin, Louis CK, and Norm.

Norm is the only one who, upon hearing new material, have no clue where it's going, and it never fails to disappoint.

Edit: at the risk of turning this thread into a Norm lovefest (then again, who gives a poo poo, who gives a gently caress?) here is some prime Norm:

https://youtu.be/lGczCl6_L_o

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm seeing Norm in Chicago next month and I'm so fuckin excited.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Last Chance posted:

I'm seeing Norm in Chicago next month and I'm so fuckin excited.

He's so good, because no matter how much you know he'll put on a good show, you always get that uneasy feeling that he'll bomb.

And he never does.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Conan has him on all the time, he's amazing on there. Conan is lightning fast but Norm is incredibly unpredictable so they work well together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F6dXcW-_Fc

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Chairman of the Bored is probably the best example of someone just being incredibly quick witted. The moth story he told on Conan is also one of his bests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE6QzDrT_x8

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Crotch Bat posted:

Conan has him on all the time, he's amazing on there. Conan is lightning fast but Norm is incredibly unpredictable so they work well together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F6dXcW-_Fc

When he goes "Box office poison" I completely lose my poo poo. Norm is so great.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The greatest thing about Chairman of the Board is this review on IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118836/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
I love Norm so much, and I agree that he is one of the few who dont have to stick to a set act.

I still watch his ESPY monologue when I am bored.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Google link worked for me, thanks for these!

SUPER late, by yeah, it worked for me just fine. THANKS!
Google Drive even lets you select all, and it zips it for you for download. Pretty straight forward.

So... Unlike a lot of you, I've never spent any time listening to old tapes (except for some of the specials they have run on Sirius). I just listen to the most recent shows, pretty much just like I always have for drat near 30 years.
But now I want to listen to the full 1994 tapes... in order. I'm a little freaked out about what it's going to be like, as 1994 was a pretty intense year for me, and yet I would guess I listened to about half of the shows. Not sure what I'll remember and what I won't. Maybe I'll dig up some bad poo poo and go insane!

I'll keep you updated on my progress.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I'd love to jerk off and shoot my load on Robin's titties
I'll do it quickly, you won't even have to leave your booth
Oh Howard please

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I want Robin's butthole. It's my favorite place!
It tastes like meat and vegetables when she sits down on my face.
I don't gave a drat if it's dirty or it's clean
Just give me a jar of vaseline.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Duuu

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Ehhh, Uhh, I mean, I dont know, uh -Woot!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
They recently had Beetlejuice's engagement visit on Sternthology. I totally forgot about his best line ever:

Howard: "Are you getting a pre-nup?"
Beet: "Yeah, I got one of those."
Howard: "What is a pre-nup?"
Beet: "...Sploopy?"

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I want to shoot my goo
On Robin's big brown boobs
and then lick her vagina

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Anybody in this thread own Sirius stock? It was literally 9 cents in 2009, but after the XM merger and now Warren Buffett's involvement the shares are past $5. I don't know if they split the stock at one point or what all the volume numbers mean (I think Sirius-XM bought back some of their own stock) but I feel like I missed out by not buying some years ago.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Former Human posted:

Anybody in this thread own Sirius stock? It was literally 9 cents in 2009, but after the XM merger and now Warren Buffett's involvement the shares are past $5. I don't know if they split the stock at one point or what all the volume numbers mean (I think Sirius-XM bought back some of their own stock) but I feel like I missed out by not buying some years ago.

Hindsight is always 20/20. You could have also purchased it when Stern signed the Sirius deal and it was like $14/share.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Former Human posted:

I have 15 shares and no idea what to do with them at this point. I just bought some for fun way back.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I made a killing on the initial run up, tripled my money. This was way before the BIG crash, though.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

I made a killing on the initial run up, tripled my money. This was way before the BIG crash, though.

Heres the deal, what about RadioiO.com? Yo-Yo-yo

I am uploading January 2006 Bubba Sirius shows. Its taking time...apparently my upload blows.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
so hypnotic

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear
Is scriptcover gone?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Heres the deal, what about RadioiO.com? Yo-Yo-yo

I am uploading January 2006 Bubba Sirius shows. Its taking time...apparently my upload blows.

Knowing what Spice is going to do to Bubba with the Hogan tape should sharpen the tensions on the older shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Szyznyk posted:

Knowing what Spice is going to do to Bubba with the Hogan tape should sharpen the tensions on the older shows.

this is what I'm looking forward to.