Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Andrast posted:

So to combat his huge manbaby tears you are crying your own huge manbaby tears? Seems pretty counterproductive.

I think the idea was that since he offers his shows ad free due to being Patreon funded, that it is annoying that nintendo wants to monitize his work when he is covered under fair use, and as such what he does is get other people to simultaneously content id his videos so that no one gets the money (he didn't want any ads because he is funded by Patreon).

The idea of implying that it is alright to pirate nintendo games was form how nintendo makes you buy and rebuy the same games they made from what is getting on to be thirty years ago for five bucks when they make you re buy them with every new console, and they make you pay five bucks for even their oldest games. They also refuse to release these games on easier formats like pc even though college level coders can do it without even being paid. Nintendo could make wonderful emulators, release all of their games on their own version of steam, and probably rake in an unspeakably large amount of money, but they refuse to. Also I think the logic he was using was that since they decide to pick and choose what parts of copyright law to use, then by that same logic one could pick and choose what parts of copyright law for oneself to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, at this point, we need a new thread title: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Calamity Jim

yes i know i am complicit i am trying to make light of my own shitposting about the same reviewer

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I finally killed Ganon and I can finally look at this thread and discuss the game again.

Ocarina of Time ranks as my favourite game ever. It's difficult to pin down why, I've played it probably more than 10 times over the years and each playthrough is still a delight.

I think some of this is nostalgia, some of it is familiarity with the game that means I don't notice weak points any more because they're part of my memory and I can bypass them easily.

But more than anything I think it's because OoT spoke to me as a child. It took the conventions in gaming I was used to, framed through only really playing platforming games, and threw them out the window. It's the game that showed me that story can be part of a game, it's the game that taught me about examining the world around me and adapting it to my advantage. Perhaps there are better examples and better contemporary games, but OoT is the game that did it for me and nothing to this day can compare to the feeling I had when I saw the final credits of the game.

Breath of the Wild speaks to me as an adult. Anyone who saw me in the thread before the game was released knew I had my reservations about BotW. It was getting rid of dungeons, things that I loved and replacing it with a world that revelled in how vast it was.

I don't have a great experience with sandbox games. My greatest thought after beating Skyrim was how soulless the game had felt. How even with this vast world, it felt like what I did had no impact despite being told I'd achieved greatness. Even games ostensibly about dicking around like Just Cause or Saints Row hold little appeal to me because I need at least some reason to do what the game wants me to.

Breath of the Wild is the game that took these games and showed me that they don't have to be soulless. It created a world where everything feels like it belongs and every character, with only a few lines has volumes of personality. It created a world so vast that I haven't even seen half of it despite playing for 60 hours and despite that has no wasted space. There's never a moment where doing something feels like a chore, because even simple movement from point A to point B has a multitude of different things for you to do. And it did all of this whilst keeping its fundamentals in check. It has difficulty, but it's never frustrating. It has crafting, but it's never boring. I could go on at length about everything I love about this game, but I suspect everyone would get bored.

If Ocarina of Time is the game that showed me that videogames are so much more than I'd understood before, then Breath of the Wild is the game that showed me that even after 20 years of gaming, I can still find that feeling that Ocarina gave me years ago.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

When you have a very very limited amount of time to set up a story in flashbacks and jounral entries alone, and you spend that time setting up clear rules for which hero should be hearing voices from which divine sword/entity, and then having each hero struggling to hear the voice they're supposed to hear while hearing the other's without trying, regardless of the themes/tropes/whatever, I don't think its a much of a reach at all. :shrug:

It is a reach, and you're making poo poo up whole cloth to justify a "twist" that would be laughable in a high-schooler's fanfic.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I have all of the memories except for the one that appears to be on the barracks of some fort. I'm guessing that's Hyrule Castle? Cause I can't think of anything that remotely looks like that in the places I've been too, which is most of the world.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Do Fallen Stars despawn in the morning? Saw one, marked it, got there, nothing.

Oxxidation posted:

It is a reach, and you're making poo poo up whole cloth to justify a "twist" that would be laughable in a high-schooler's fanfic.

Literally just listening to the dialogue in the memories, not sure what was possibly made up. Nice constructive response though!

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Harrow posted:

Okay, at this point, we need a new thread title: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Calamity Jim

yes i know i am complicit i am trying to make light of my own shitposting about the same reviewer

Personally I loved zelda, but somehow feel like I would only give the game an 8/10 myself, given some thought. I don't mean to say it is bad, just that I think this is only nintendo's first foray into open world games, so it makes sense that there are some teething problems, and I look forward to what they plan on making with what they learned from this in mind.

Maybe hard mode will have more stuff than one might think. For ten dollars (split with the other dlc) I should sure hope it does!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Internet Kraken posted:

So I have all of the memories except for the one that appears to be on the barracks of some fort. I'm guessing that's Hyrule Castle? Cause I can't think of anything that remotely looks like that in the places I've been too, which is most of the world.

If it's the one with a door, then yes. It's easy enough to find if you know you're looking for it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Internet Kraken posted:

There is one flashback in Hyrule Castle, yeah. It's in front of Zelda's room, on a little tower on the west of the castle.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Also this is the same Jim Sterling who 7.5'd Dragon Age Origins because he's absolute dogshit at the game.

Oh and the one that gave Modern Warfare 3 a 9 whilst in the same month giving Mario Kart 7 a 6 because it was "Out of ideas."

And before anyone gets into it, practically speaking gaming grades from a score of 50-100.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nephzinho posted:

Do Fallen Stars despawn in the morning? Saw one, marked it, got there, nothing.

The glow despawns in the morning, I think the star stays for a little bit but it either despawns then or shortly thereafter.

These things are a real sumbitch to try to farm up. Why'd they make the classic sets require them?

Its kinda wonky how some armor sets just need some simple moblin parts or butterflies to upgrade, while others require loving dragon horns, and others still require rare fallen stars. It'd make sense if the harder ones were vastly stronger, but they're not! If anything its backwards.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

The glow despawns in the morning, I think the star stays for a little bit but it either despawns then or shortly thereafter.

These things are a real sumbitch to try to farm up. Why'd they make the classic sets require them?

Its kinda wonky how some armor sets just need some simple moblin parts or butterflies to upgrade, while others require loving dragon horns, and others still require rare fallen stars. It'd make sense if the harder ones were vastly stronger, but they're not! If anything its backwards.

I just need 1 more fallen star and some beetles to finish fully upgrading the * of the Wild set. Does anything else actually use them?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I mean, probably the best armour in the game needs Lynel parts, so maybe it's just a bit weird?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
harkinian you're a dick but im glad that you aren't a dick a hundred years later. welp last memory i need is near the bird beast, it seems. guess i'll finish that up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Also I hope Hard mode does something about boss scaling. Regular enemies have a progression in equipment and health, but I don't think there's any scaling on the bosses. So by the time you've done two divine beasts and are getting strong weapons as drops, bosses go down way to fast. This isn't even touching attack buffs and how they can make them even quicker. I have to go out of my way to make Hinox fun to fight cause I could just kill them before their health bar even appears if I wanted too.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Zaphod42 posted:

From what it seemed like to me, the ones that needed the common ingredients could have good stats but usually didn't have big special effects, whereas the ones with special effects (or the Amiibo outfits) needed the more rare stuff to level up. Seems like combat-affecting things weigh a little more heavily in this than mobility or weather stuff, since sets like the climbing gear or the zora armor are easier to upgrade than something like the barbarian set.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Internet Kraken posted:

Also I hope Hard mode does something about boss scaling. Regular enemies have a progression in equipment and health, but I don't think there's any scaling on the bosses. So by the time you've done two divine beasts and are getting strong weapons as drops, bosses go down way to fast. This isn't even touching attack buffs and how they can make them even quicker. I have to go out of my way to make Hinox fun to fight cause I could just kill them before their health bar even appears if I wanted too.

Spoiler about a shrine quest: Have you fought the one you have to kill naked yet?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Spoiler about a shrine quest: Have you fought the one you have to kill naked yet?

You don't need to kill that one ya know

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nephzinho posted:

I just need 1 more fallen star and some beetles to finish fully upgrading the * of the Wild set. Does anything else actually use them?

Only the amiibo sets. Otherwise I think you can sell them.

Kelp Plankton posted:

From what it seemed like to me, the ones that needed the common ingredients could have good stats but usually didn't have big special effects, whereas the ones with special effects (or the Amiibo outfits) needed the more rare stuff to level up. Seems like combat-affecting things weigh a little more heavily in this than mobility or weather stuff, since sets like the climbing gear or the zora armor are easier to upgrade than something like the barbarian set.

Yeah, that's true. So there is some thought put into it. Still, you can get good defense from easy sets to upgrade like the Hylian set, and then the cosmetic amiibo sets are really hard to upgrade for not much reason. Barbarian set being harder makes sense at least, same with champions since you can see HP levels I guess.

What really boggles my mind is why the dark set can't be upgraded. Its completely worthless :(

I don't mind some things like the starting rags being un-upgradable, that's fine. But the dark link set? Why bother spending 4,000 mon to get it just to make yourself limited to weak armor? I guess its hard mode, for badasses :cheeky:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What's a good spot to find a gerudo shield to forge into a new daybreaker? That shield is too nice not to have on me.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I mean I can make anything tough if I strip naked and use a traveler's sword but then why bother looting anything

Its just jarring to go from fighting a Silver-Maned Lynel, which had appropriate damage and health for a boss with my gear, to a Hinox which died before it even got off its rear end.

EDIT: Speaking of Eventide Island, this was really funny to watch; https://clips.twitch.tv/EntertainingSmellyDillFreakinStinkin

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 14, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Zore posted:

You don't need to kill that one ya know

Where's the fun in that?

Nendil
Apr 4, 2005

3D movies are the dumbest fad since pull-ups.

Nephzinho posted:

When you have a very very limited amount of time to set up a story in flashbacks and jounral entries alone, and you spend that time setting up clear rules for which hero should be hearing voices from which divine sword/entity, and then having each hero struggling to hear the voice they're supposed to hear while hearing the other's without trying, regardless of the themes/tropes/whatever, I don't think its a much of a reach at all. :shrug:

Let's not forget that the Goddess Hylia was the one who created the Master Sword (and Fi, for that matter). If anyone besides Link was going to be able to hear the sword, it would be Zelda.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Any way to swap the left and right gyro motion aiming?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
oh poo poo, stone talus. so many hours in this game yet this is the first time i've encountered one. it went down like the chump it is though. savage lynel bow for life

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

spit on my clit posted:

oh poo poo, stone talus. so many hours in this game yet this is the first time i've encountered one. it went down like the chump it is though. savage lynel bow for life

All but one of my bow slots are savage lynel bows. They are the poo poo and mow every single thing in the game down.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

X3 bows with any kind of magic arrows are just stupid powerful. Hell even X3 regular arrows can hit like a truck, although its hard to land all three on one target.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

X3 bows with any kind of magic arrows are just stupid powerful. Hell even X3 regular arrows can hit like a truck, although its hard to land all three on one target.

I found a low power x5 bow that just did silly things with bomb arrows.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I guess that's cool, but I still like climbing it and using a 2-hander charge move with 3 rings of stamina. :black101:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I guess that's cool, but I still like climbing it and using a 2-hander charge move with 3 rings of stamina. :black101:

But sometimes the drat spot is on their back instead of their head and somethings gotta be done.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Nephzinho posted:

But sometimes the drat spot is on their back instead of their head and somethings gotta be done.

I stand on it. I still swing. I still win.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

I found a low power x5 bow that just did silly things with bomb arrows.

Holy poo poo I didn't know that existed :allears:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

It was a base 3x shot bow with a modifier, i think Forest Dweller's.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah once weapons start spawning with affixes you can get any multiple bow to spawn with an extra +2 arrows per shot. I got a Korok one and a regular Lynell one in my playthrough.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Just unlocked my first memory and so far this game is fantastic. I like Nintendo (I own a Wii U), but I am honestly impressed that they managed to make this as their first modern open world game. Bravo.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
uuuuuuugh gently caress yiga archers. they're not hard, they're just annoying. gently caress you and your bananas

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah once weapons start spawning with affixes you can get any multiple bow to spawn with an extra +2 arrows per shot. I got a Korok one and a regular Lynell one in my playthrough.

Oh man oh man. Best I have is a korok one with +12 attack up, which is pretty solid, but +2 arrows would be straight stupid.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

spit on my clit posted:

uuuuuuugh gently caress yiga archers. they're not hard, they're just annoying. gently caress you and your bananas

I used an ancient arrow on one just because I could. Can't teleport out of the abyss fucker.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

yeah are these guys going to harass me for the rest of the game now?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

comingafteryouall posted:

yeah are these guys going to harass me for the rest of the game now?

Yeah. Though they will start alternating with Yiga swordsmen!

Then you start getting groups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Man, today I set off with a single, simple goal: earn 7K more rupees to unlock the final Great Fairy. Took a suggestion to go mining with Wolf Link, thought i'd then try the hunting up north for gourmet meats since WL would also help a lot there. Eventually, a Guardian showed up and targeted wolf grampa and killed him. After a while, and a fire talos, I thought I had enough so i went down the mountain and noticed there's a northwest maze. On the way there I ended up fighting a Zebra Lynel and barely killing it thanks to all the abilities I had. Then I marched over and got to a mountain peak, noticing a shrine further west of the maze, which was oddly easy to solve. Avoided another Lynel near the shrine, then on my way to the maze I got killed by yet another Zebra Lynel who so happened to spam tracking shock arrows immediately. Finally got to the maze, solved it and then went over to Tarrey to sell off all the gems I got and finally went to unlock the fairy. By that point I knew that there was only one last maze left to do so I went for it, but on the way there I saw a shrine to tackle immediately after. I'm finally ready to call it a day when I reach the shrine.. and there's a lady in dire need of alcohol dying on the control panel. Welp. Went to the bar, got that whole sidequest started, took the ice to the place and told the lady where to get her booze on and the loving Sheika tells me entering the shrine is the challenge????? DID YOU PLAN FOR A DRUNKARD TO BE LAYING ON THE PANEL AT THAT TIME OF DAY, AT THAT TIME OF YEAR, IN THIS PART OF THE CONTINENT LOCATED ENTIRELY ON TOP YOUR ENTRANCE PANEL??? Did you somehow scheme the alcohol consumption patterns of the Gerudo 10000 years in advance???????? Anyways I finished getting the barbarian set at least and got a bizarre ending to my trip.

Anyway that's my zelda report i hope i got a B+

spoiler this loving poo poo tia