Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I land in two weeks, mofos. Will be there from the 18th to the 25th.

Should I just show up for your regular meet, or do I rate something special?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Kavalan doesn't do tours in English. D:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Thanatosian posted:

I land in two weeks, mofos. Will be there from the 18th to the 25th.

Should I just show up for your regular meet, or do I rate something special?

If you have Line you can hop on the Line chat--we might be doing something that weekend? Other than that, some of us do have a regular meetup to hang out and bs about news/jobs we hate/whatever

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there a cheap Taiwanese whiskey I might find at a grocery store? Also, is there anywhere I might find a an American size 14-15 pair of sandals or flip flops?

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Thanatosian posted:

Is there a cheap Taiwanese whiskey I might find at a grocery store? Also, is there anywhere I might find a an American size 14-15 pair of sandals or flip flops?

Prime Blue is basically Taiwanese :haw:

In terms of actual Taiwanese whiskey, I'm honestly not familiar with anything outside of Kavalan. I suppose there must be some sort of paint thinner option though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Thanatosian posted:

Croc store in Xinyi. Near the big movie theatre.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Matlock posted:

Croc store in Xinyi. Near the big movie theatre.

Crocs aren't allowed on the escalators, or in any civilized home.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

USDA Choice posted:

Prime Blue is basically Taiwanese :haw:

In terms of actual Taiwanese whiskey, I'm honestly not familiar with anything outside of Kavalan. I suppose there must be some sort of paint thinner option though.

It doesn't have to be super-cheap, just not Kavalan expensive.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Thanatosian posted:

Oh good lord no, what kind of beast do you think I am? They sell flip flops.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Kavalan has the distinction of being the only native Taiwanese whiskey. There are other whiskeys in Taiwan with Chinese labels, but they aren't actually distilled in Taiwan.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Matlock posted:

Oh good lord no, what kind of beast do you think I am? They sell flip flops.
Oh, rockin', I will try there.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Kavalan has the distinction of being the only native Taiwanese whiskey. There are other whiskeys in Taiwan with Chinese labels, but they aren't actually distilled in Taiwan.
I saw a bottle of Royal Golden Ship at a pretty reasonable price, and Googling led me to some disreputable site claiming it was Taiwanese, but it looks like just the bottle is. Any recommendations for cheap Japanese or mainland whiskeys (or anywhere else in Asia) that I probably wouldn't be able to find in a liquor store in the States? I crave new experiences.

I went to the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial today, and it was baller as gently caress. It was loving incredible. I looked for any references to Chiang Wei-kuo, and didn't see any; is that place pretty much run by Kuomintang loyalists? It had a very propaganda feel to it. Still, really cool to see that sort of take on Taiwan history. I may head out to Santo Domingo tomorrow, or the Sun Yat-Sen memorial. Though, if I'm going to the croc store, anyway, maybe I'll hit up the Sun Yat-Sen memorial today...

I have thus far been very surprised at how easy it is to get around speaking no Mandarin or Taiwanese.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 18, 2017

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Thanatosian posted:

I thought they were allowed; you just have to be careful (same with flip flops, heels, etc)

those havana flip flops or whatever they're called are generally ok

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Japan has been pretty good at marketing its whiskeys abroad. Anything in Taiwan you'll be able to find in the States. That shouldn't stop you from buying a bottle of Yamazaki though.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

I went to the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial today, and it was baller as gently caress. It was loving incredible. I looked for any references to Chiang Wei-kuo, and didn't see any; is that place pretty much run by Kuomintang loyalists? It had a very propaganda feel to it. Still, really cool to see that sort of take on Taiwan history.

Oh yeah, that's the place that talks about how the only thing that happened in 1945 was that CKS proclaimed victory over the Japanese.

Crocs are allowed on the MRT, it just sez to be careful.

E: Correction! Crocs aren't allowed on the escalators, but only the escalators, so I suppose you can just slip them off and ride up and down barefoot, there's no sign saying otherwise.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 19, 2017

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have an invite to a wei-ya on Monday; anything I should know behavior-wise?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We found a very small craft beer bar in Tamsui today. The Tamsui Herbal IPA was actually pretty good, but it was a bit too high in CO2, used very generic bottles, and had a label that was simple, and looked like someone had printed it on their own printer; I'm reasonably certain it was someone's home brew. Also, got some fried quail eggs; pretty drat good.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

My weiya advice would be don't go. Also if you're on Line, PM me your id, I'll add you to a goon group.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
yeah I wouldn't bother going to that since you're there for such a short period of time

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Message for U.S. Citizens: Caution Regarding Controlled Substances in Taiwan posted:

We would like to remind all U.S. citizens in Taiwan of the guidance contained in the Department of State’s travel.state.gov website on Taiwan’s local laws, particularly as these laws relate to controlled substances. Over the last several months, the American Institute in Taiwan has seen an increase in arrests related to possession of marijuana. The U.S. citizen community in Taiwan should be aware that penalties for possession, use, or trafficking in illegal drugs (including marijuana) in Taiwan are severe, and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and heavy fines. Taiwan also has the death penalty for certain drug offenses. Law enforcement in Taiwan treats all drug violations very seriously.

Stop getting yourselves busted for having pot, guys.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Thought I heard someone mention a while back that there was a nice craft beer place or pub of some kind in Kaohsiung, but I can't find the post; could someone remind me? Or alternatively tell me if I'm hallucinating and there are no such good places in Kaohsiung.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
There are at least three craft beer places in Kaohsiung and a shop that has a huge selection of beer.

Beer store: https://www.google.com.tw/maps/plac...9!4d120.2961235

Here's another few places
https://www.englishintaiwan.com/food-and-drink/kaohsiung/zhangmen-brewery-kaohsiung
https://www.englishintaiwan.com/food-and-drink/kaohsiung/beer-bee-craft-beers
https://www.englishintaiwan.com/food-and-drink/kaohsiung/craft-beer-in-kaohsiung

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Hey belated thanks; went to Zhangmen last night, was nice. I was surprised that there were no other foreign types there!

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Foreigners in Kaohsiung(Taiwan?) are mostly really cheap. They don't enjoy spending 260NT for a delicious beer and would rather spend 169NT for a six pack of BAR and drink it outside.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

thegoat posted:

Foreigners in Kaohsiung(Taiwan?) Asia are mostly really cheap. They don't enjoy spending 260NT for a delicious beer and would rather spend 169NT for a six pack of BAR and drink it outside.

Fixed

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Whoever recommended Kinmen 58 as the liquor of Taiwan: I opened the bottle last week, and it tasted pretty much exactly like I would expect a sorghum-based liquor to taste: pretty bad.

Can anyone recommend a good mixer for it? Is there a typical cocktail the Taiwanese drink it in?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

thegoat posted:

Foreigners in Kaohsiung(Taiwan?) are mostly really cheap. They don't enjoy spending 260NT for a delicious beer and would rather spend 169NT for a six pack of BAR and drink it outside.

Yeah that's what I figured.

Nah this is in no way true in Tokyo and HK I can say from personal experience, and presumably also Shanghai etc. Tokyo craft beer places are frequented even by English teachers who probably shouldn't be spending that much, and then you get the executives on expat packages making USD six figures and not paying for rent, who could care less about a few extra bucks a pint.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Thanatosian posted:

Whoever recommended Kinmen 58 as the liquor of Taiwan: I opened the bottle last week, and it tasted pretty much exactly like I would expect a sorghum-based liquor to taste: pretty bad.

Can anyone recommend a good mixer for it? Is there a typical cocktail the Taiwanese drink it in?

No you drink it and like it

at room temp too

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 14, 2017

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

thegoat posted:

Wow, beer in Taiwan is expensive.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

Pour a shot of it into a pint of Taiwan beer.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

LimburgLimbo posted:

Hey belated thanks; went to Zhangmen last night, was nice. I was surprised that there were no other foreign types there!

thank god

Thanatosian posted:

Kinmen 58 as the liquor of Taiwan

this is accurate like budweiser is the beer of america; it's true, but that doesn't mean it's the good one

GoutPatrol posted:

No you drink it and like it

at room temp too

i think a whisbih chaser might be acceptable

Magna Kaser posted:

Wow, beer in Taiwan is expensive.

for fancy beer maybe

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Spanish Matlock posted:

Pour a shot of it into a pint of Taiwan beer.

mixing a shot with an equal amount of beer as a double shot is also good

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Thanatosian posted:

That was me, and like Spanish Matlock says, putting it in beer makes it kinda tolerable.

I mostly use it as a hazing ritual for newcomers, tbh, I don't actually drink that poo poo if I have any choice.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Radar posted:

That was me, and like Spanish Matlock says, putting it in beer makes it kinda tolerable.

I mostly use it as a hazing ritual for newcomers, tbh, I don't actually drink that poo poo if I have any choice.
Oh, I am definitely sharing this with friends. It may not be the liquor they need, but it's definitely the liquor they deserve.

I also came home with a healthy amount of Kavalan.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

duckfarts posted:

for fancy beer maybe

No, coming from HK, I thought Taiwan 7-11 beer was pricey.
3x 0.5 litre cans here is about 67NTD

Supermarket prices are even lower.
24 cans of off-label San Miguel (same beer, value brand, made in exactly the same vats), costs about 215NTD

And HK beer is pricey compared to Mainland beer.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
The heavy metals content of Taiwanese beer is probably fairly nominal though, which helps

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

duckfarts posted:

for fancy beer maybe

japanese, belgian, american, etc... beers are like 40-50 rmb (180-220 NTD) max even at expensive-er expat places and can be had for like 30~ at more normal places. You can find 60+rmb beers but you have to be really trying/going to places made to gouge people with especially nice expat benefits. Even stuff like hitachino maxes out at ~45-50rmb at most bars (if they have it).

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

lookit all these pussies who can't handle kaoliang

shameful

e:

simplefish posted:

No, coming from HK, I thought Taiwan 7-11 beer was pricey.
That's because we don't have as many British alcoholics.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

That's because we don't have as many British alcoholics.

That's redundant, like ATM Machine

Still, cheaper beer is cheaper beer.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

hey now what's with all this australian erasure hmmmmmmm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Australian Erasure is a fantastic band name