Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

brugroffil posted:

What is the point of an elaborate home CCTV system?

I imagine finding out which of my neighbors is failing to clean up after their dogs. If I can give video to the police, rear end in a top hat neighbors get tickets. What could go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I got a Foscam that covers my porch for like $125. Has a motion detector and uploads clips to my web server. Figure that's a pretty low cost / investment to have footage if someone ever broke in (which has happened to a neighbor three houses down even though I live in a super low crime area).

Oh and if someone wants to hack it to look at my porch and driveway they are more than welcome.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Battered Cankles posted:

I imagine finding out which of my neighbors is failing to clean up after their dogs. If I can give video to the police, rear end in a top hat neighbors get tickets. What could go wrong?

I would do this in a heart beat. gently caress people who don't pickup after their dog.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

$2500 for a DYI CCTV system seems kind of high, don't most security companies only charge a few hundred dollars for a full installation? I guess those usually come with pretty long monitoring contracts

You can save around $50/camera if you get 1080p versions instead of 4k. You do have to go through the hassle of finding a decent vendor who will sell you USA market stuff. Getting ones that are POE can be harder, I believe all the Hikvision stuff is by default.

For both Hikvision and Foscam make sure you've disabled their ability to communicate with the internet at your router. Foscam's talk to China by default.

Edit: And as with all things, you can save a ton of money pulling your own cat5/6/whatever low voltage cable. It's not hard, but it does involve disturbing your sentient colony of attic spiders.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 11, 2017

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

$2500 for a DYI CCTV system seems kind of high, don't most security companies only charge a few hundred dollars for a full installation? I guess those usually come with pretty long monitoring contracts

According to a google search I spent 10 seconds on:

How much to install security cameras?
The average cost of a 4 channel HD Camera system is around $1000.00 and it will take about 8-12 hours to install the system that is connected to the Internet for remote monitoring. The average labor rate per hour is ~75.00.

According to actual research I did when I set up my system, companies quoted about $500/camera for a complete install of their own camera, which lines up pretty perfectly with that google search snippet. I don't know if they also try to charge you a fee to monitor it after that, I never went that far down the road with them.

I also forgot the reason most people seem to want security cameras, which is so they can watch their stupid dogs all day while they are at work.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

OSU_Matthew posted:

Look at Lorex by Flir. They've got a great selection of systems, including some of the smallest and most affordable POe PTZ cameras I've ever seen. Plus they've got some really slick 2k/4k resolution systems with good NVRs.

Don't use wifi cameras since you still need wires for power, and low voltage poe ethernet cables are a million times easier to run.

Drop cams and stuff are insanely expensive and honestly mediocre at best. You want something with a dedicated NVR unit, preferably with cloud support you can access from an app on your phone.

Eg, here's a whole system for the price of a single POE PTZ dome camera from other places:

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-ip-security-camera-system/hd-security-camera-system-with-nvr-2-ptz-cameras-and-2-bullets/HDIP422Z-1-p

I bought this back in November and I'm loving it. Weatherproof ip66 rated, vandal proof metal domes, inconspicuous, easy to set up. Downside is that it's only 1080 resolution (720 on the domes), but that's plenty adequate for the average homeowner.

This looks like a nice solution except it falls under that security issue people are posting about.

This is why I was asking, I like a cloud solution but want better security than this.

brugroffil posted:

What is the point of an elaborate home CCTV system?

I get packages and want to be able to see if someone steals them from my porch, I've seen reports of people getting into others car lately and it would be nice to give something to the police with pictures, and I would like one that covers the pool so I can have videos of accidents/ monitor for unauthorized usage, leaks, etc.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

dalstrs posted:

This looks like a nice solution except it falls under that security issue people are posting about.

This is why I was asking, I like a cloud solution but want better security than this.

I get packages and want to be able to see if someone steals them from my porch, I've seen reports of people getting into others car lately and it would be nice to give something to the police with pictures, and I would like one that covers the pool so I can have videos of accidents/ monitor for unauthorized usage, leaks, etc.

Basically you want exactly what the hikvision poster above did + local video recording like a synology + vpn access to your house. The synology also has a package for VPN but I haven't tried it. Combine with blocking your cameras ability to hit the outside world at your router and you have a secure solution.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

minivanmegafun posted:

A lot of my neighbors on my south side Chicago street have cameras, which means I don't have to, particularly if my house continues to look like a dump. It just gets left alone.

Right, I think that's a decent strategy. I have a home security camera system, but it's all exterior facing and pretty well hidden. I'm not using it as a deterrant, but mainly to check on alerts and notifications from my home monitoring. Like if I'm on vacation and I get a front door intrusion alert, I want to be able to see if that's a valid alert before asking someone to check on that or calling the cops. Same for a water leak or smoke alert. That lorex system was something like 320$ all said and done, and it does exactly that--gives me a way to check on stuff if I'm not home. It's a cheap peace of mind.

dalstrs posted:

Interesting article on the DVR password bypass. Stuff like that is why I won't get a iOT enabled front door lock or place interior cameras, since that kind of thing might be of interest to people who accumulate and sell that kind of information (like credit card numbers), whereas I don't see my exterior cameras being of much interest to the average hacker. If someone wants to look at my driveway and front porch, they can do that from google maps. At this point I just don't see that anyone bent on stealing my tools or whatever would be bothering to hack my diy home monitoring setup, because most property crime is opportunity based, say I left my garage door open and the wrong person drove by, or they noticed something that piqued their interest.

That being said, H110Hawk hit the security solution on the head. That's how I have mine set up, with the cameras recording to the NVR on my LAN, and from there I set up a VPN to access everything on my lan from anywhere (eg cameras, server, etc). This way you still have internet enabled cameras, but that hard coded password hack just really isn't an issue because the camera system itself isn't talking out to the internet. Plus you're not reliant on others' cloud services which may or may not exist in a year or two.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The most important use of compromised IoT devices is to contribute to DDOS attacks. I've also heard of them being used for other botnet stuff. I have no idea if IoT cameras specifically are useful for that, but, the point here is that it's not really about someone wardriving around looking for cameras to snoop on, it's someone running scripts online to compromise tens of thousands of similar devices in order to gain control of a big network of controlled internet nodes.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/602994/iot-botnets-are-growing-and-up-for-hire/

If you have an IoT device, the reponsible thing to do is secure it. The device provider ought to be selling devices that are secure out of the box, but they're not doing a good job of that, so customers have to take some responsibility.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 13, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Interesting article on the DVR password bypass. Stuff like that is why I won't get a iOT enabled front door lock or place interior cameras, since that kind of thing might be of interest to people who accumulate and sell that kind of information (like credit card numbers), whereas I don't see my exterior cameras being of much interest to the average hacker. If someone wants to look at my driveway and front porch, they can do that from google maps.

Google maps isn't a live video feed

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

The most important use of compromised IoT devices is to contribute to DDOS attacks. I've also heard of them being used for other botnet stuff. I have no idea if IoT cameras specifically are useful for that, but, the point here is that it's not really about someone wardriving around looking for cameras to snoop on, it's someone running scripts online to compromise tens of thousands of similar devices in order to gain control of a big network of controlled internet nodes.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/602994/iot-botnets-are-growing-and-up-for-hire/

If you have an IoT device, the reponsible thing to do is secure it. The device provider ought to be selling devices that are secure out of the box, but they're not doing a good job of that, so customers have to take some responsibility.

Right, similar to the botnet with DVRs that took down VeriSign and several other certificate providers a few months back. I was just hypothesizing from a worst case scenario about the other concerns of having a home camera setup, all of which are mitigated by using a vpn to access local network contents so there's no direct exposure to the wide area network.

Honestly, one of the biggest issues with a lot of these iOT enabled devices are that people just don't change the default login.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

The cameras are all (by and large) just running linux. They are absolutely very soft targets for things like this, even if they have 0 hardcoded or default passwords.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Do we have a thread about pools here? Pool maintenance, pumps, heaters, etc?

Or is this the place?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I had all of my smoke detectors replaced recently and they are all wired back to the panel.

I inattentively made some bacon yesterday and found out what happens when they get triggered.

Holy poo poo.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MrYenko posted:

Or is this the place?

It really brings home the idea of throwing money in a pit. I have an inherited hot tub, and it seems to take perhaps 400 a year in electricity, turned all the way down except when in use. Winterizing it would actually cost more than running it through, and besides winter is the best time to use it. Chemicals don't really cost too much, but you can't ignore them for more than a week or two.

A pool is similar, just more expensive and with more automated treatments as I understand it.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

baquerd posted:

A pool is similar, just more expensive and with more automated treatments as I understand it.

I found my hot tub to be far more annoying than my pool. Maybe because my pool has a small leak somewhere which prevents all the bad things from building up in the water, so I never have to really drain any water, just pay a bit more in chemicals every year to keep the levels right. Draining and refilling the hot tub twice a year was annoying.

Both things came with the house, and I got rid of the hot tub about 4 months ago and I am surprised by how much less annoying stuff there is to deal with now. Plus, the pool is actually nice to look at. I also think it's hard to find a professional company to take care of a hot tub because people are gross and the hot tub water gets way nastier than pool water.

I agree with your $400 estimate, and if your hot tub is in decent condition you could sell it privately or to a hot tub dealer - you won't really get much money out of it but at least it will be gone.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Droo posted:

Both things came with the house, and I got rid of the hot tub about 4 months ago and I am surprised by how much less annoying stuff there is to deal with now. Plus, the pool is actually nice to look at. I also think it's hard to find a professional company to take care of a hot tub because people are gross and the hot tub water gets way nastier than pool water.

Plus you keep hot tubs at optimal ick growing temperature.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
(in eastern PA)

"I'll wait a bit to get a snowblower until post season sales" :downs:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Droo posted:

I found my hot tub to be far more annoying than my pool. Maybe because my pool has a small leak somewhere which prevents all the bad things from building up in the water, so I never have to really drain any water, just pay a bit more in chemicals every year to keep the levels right. Draining and refilling the hot tub twice a year was annoying.

I agree with your $400 estimate, and if your hot tub is in decent condition you could sell it privately or to a hot tub dealer - you won't really get much money out of it but at least it will be gone.

Even if your hot tub is completely broken in many ways, as long as you want to give it away to get it out of there you'll get 24 offers in 24 hours and it'll be gone in 36 hours from first posting it!

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

LogisticEarth posted:

(in eastern PA)

Same.

Same. :(

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

LogisticEarth posted:

(in eastern PA)

Uhhhh I need the exercise I guess.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LogisticEarth posted:

(in eastern PA)

You can borrow mine if you do my driveway first.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I had all of my smoke detectors replaced recently and they are all wired back to the panel.

I inattentively made some bacon yesterday and found out what happens when they get triggered.

Holy poo poo.

Smoke detectors really, really, really need an "I'm making bacon, please deactivate for 15 minutes" button.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Thoguh posted:

Smoke detectors really, really, really need an "I'm making bacon, please deactivate for 15 minutes" button.

One reason I love the Nest Protect, if it senses some mild smoke that's below a certain threshhold, it'll give you a verbal warning where the smoke is and you can go silence the alarm with a push of a button or the app. I've had it alert me once or twice in the kitchen, but I was able to override it and go open up some windows and turn on the fan to mitigate the smoke before it went ballistic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OSU_Matthew posted:

One reason I love the Nest Protect, if it senses some mild smoke that's below a certain threshhold, it'll give you a verbal warning where the smoke is and you can go silence the alarm with a push of a button or the app. I've had it alert me once or twice in the kitchen, but I was able to override it and go open up some windows and turn on the fan to mitigate the smoke before it went ballistic.

And it stays deactivated until the smoke clears, then resets, so I don't have to keep silencing it.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

And it stays deactivated until the smoke clears, then resets, so I don't have to keep silencing it.

AND the app alerts you when the smoke levels start dropping.

Source: made bacon this weekend

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Replace your ionization alarms with photoelectric alarms and you won't need that button

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

MrYenko posted:

Or is this the place?

I don't know but troublefreepool.com is where I came up to speed fast after buying a house with a pool.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

uwaeve posted:

I don't know but troublefreepool.com is where I came up to speed fast after buying a house with a pool.

This is the same for me. Better advice there than I got from the pool store.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

uwaeve posted:

I was thinking based on the name that this was some joke website that was nothing but a blank screen. Imagine my surprise!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Drunk Tomato posted:

I was thinking based on the name that this was some joke website that was nothing but a blank screen. Imagine my surprise!

I'm annoyed I didn't buy the domain first to do that very thing.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Remember to clean out your mower deck at the end of the season, lest you end up with extra soil for your yard!

(Oops that image was kind of huge, my bad)

CloFan fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 22, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

why is your mower full of soil?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Because I didn't clean it out before storing it last fall, and all the accumulated leaves and lawn clippings decomposed. I actually got this mower for free with the house because the PO said it didn't work and they didn't want to bother moving it... new tires, blades, and an oil change it works just fine!

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
That reminds me, I need to pick up a nice composter. I hate throwing out veggie scraps and banana peels when I could just compost them with leaves from my backyard.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

WarMECH posted:

That reminds me, I need to pick up a nice composter. I hate throwing out veggie scraps and banana peels when I could just compost them with leaves from my backyard.

Build one! Check craigslist for those blue HDPE drums, drill out a hole in the center for a length of pvc, and make some cross bracings with either treated or painted 2x4 lumber. Cut out some holes for ventilation and caulk some screen on the inside, cut out a hole to access it, add some hinges and some latches to keep it closed while you tumble, and voila!

Or, you could just have a compost pile staked off where you dump everything compostable, and just turn it occasionally with a pitchfork.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When I was a kid, my dad built a compost pile bin in the back yard. It was just a simple frame with 1x6 boards to hold the compost together, and when he wanted to get some dirt out, he'd remove one of the bottom 1x6s and shovel it out.

Later he bought a fancy barrel composter that you could spin to mix, but he always did love buying gadgets.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

WarMECH posted:

Your local government might sell them for cheap. I bought the Sweethome recommended one from Nashville public works for like $20 less than I saw it anywhere else.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

OSU_Matthew posted:

Or, you could just have a compost pile staked off where you dump everything compostable, and just turn it occasionally with a pitchfork.

Dont do this, it will draw rats. You wanr something that will keep rodents out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

therobit posted:

Dont do this, it will draw rats. You wanr something that will keep rodents out.

That's a really great point, I'd never considered the implications of doing this on a postage stamp lot in the suburbs.

Definitely look at building a composter, it's a cheap, easy, and fun project. Just make sure the barrels you buy were used for food stuffs and not some industrial solvent.