Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Groogy posted:

No it doesn't make more resources available magically. It just makes you have first dibs/or whatever country) on more resources. The only agent in the economy that can make resources appear out of nothing is Artisans.
I should clarify- I know it doesn't affect the raw amount. But in terms of what the player sees, relatively small prestige shifts can crash entire economies. "Sorry, you're now 5th place prestige and your entire cotton supply is gone". It's consistent once you understand it but it is definitely frustrating and opaque to an uninitiated player.

And I should clarify that I've played hundreds of hours of Vicky 2. It's just the hardest Paradox game to understand besides HOI 3.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I should clarify- I know it doesn't affect the raw amount. But in terms of what the player sees, relatively small prestige shifts can crash entire economies. "Sorry, you're now 5th place prestige and your entire cotton supply is gone". It's consistent once you understand it but it is definitely frustrating and opaque to an uninitiated player.

And I should clarify that I've played hundreds of hours of Vicky 2. It's just the hardest Paradox game to understand besides HOI 3.

Also politics has no affect on the flow of goods, meaning you can be at war with some on and still sell guns to them due to how the world market works

Also playing a minor power can suck, because your economy will crash 9 times outta 10 if you get sphered

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
If you didn't get it I was trying to be funny by correcting you and then stating what borked black magic the economy actually does :smug:
Got a lot of hours into it as well. Also reminds me I should stop playing Utopia and continue on my Independent Texas game...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Capitalists are idiots and don't consider supply/demand/resource availability before building factories-
Prestige shifts cause huge spikes in resource availability
Taxation/pop status is a giant black hole of poor information and unclear consequences.
Learning how the economy actually works in V2 takes a lot of time and is basically impossible using the in-game information without a shitload of trial/error. And based on what Wiz's response was when he looked at the code, that's pretty much the case with the underlying code too.

So you're saying it's a pretty good depiction of economics

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Yes because in the real world you will go with this train of thought as a lowly worker who is living on pennies:
"Hmm I got some meat, some fish, some fruit, some grain and even some liquor lucky me. But I don't have any cotton so gently caress YOU I WILL RATHER STARVE TO DEATH"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Groogy posted:

Yes because in the real world you will go with this train of thought as a lowly worker who is living on pennies:
"Hmm I got some meat, some fish, some fruit, some grain and even some liquor lucky me. But I don't have any cotton so gently caress YOU I WILL RATHER STARVE TO DEATH"

Better dead than nakéd

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I have basically no idea how vicky works, which will probably be my handicap when I convert EUIV over :v:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

spectralent posted:

I have basically no idea how vicky works, which will probably be my handicap when I convert EUIV over :v:

Play it like it is a stock market. That's how I could industrialize Texas. I just bought when stuff was cheap and sat on it until demand built up and then dumped it on the market. Also the goods you start with as Texas can give you like £500 000.
Also depending on if you are a small or big nation, you might need to b-line for Prestige technologies if you are going by that strategy. My advice is to buy luxury furniture, the good will just constantly rise in price for like 30 years straight I think. So if you buy it at start of game you got a good investment.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 13, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Also French capitalist's entire strategy for whatever reason. I don't even think they have that much tropical wood in their sphere most of the time, they just loving love fancy chairs and fancy clothes more than anyone else.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 13, 2017

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Same, but Ship Simulator Extremes.

I assume this is PI trying to get back on a branding scheme after being Swedish Focus Home Interactive for so long.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Is that why they let Kerberos release sots2

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

corn in the bible posted:

Is that why they let Kerberos release sots2
That happened like 50 expansions ago.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That happened like 50 expansions ago.

Much like Jesus, Corn in the Bible forgives but he never forgets

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

EU 4 question for y'all. What should I be doing to get value out of expanding once I'm at or exceeding my state limit? I'm playing a Muscovy->Russia game right now and since I can conquer a bunch of lovely land from Oirat and those folks every 15 years I have expanded way farther East than is probably valuable. Combining that with eating the Ottomans and PLC and chunks of Sweden means I am way over my state limit (even with...Administrative? The one that gives 5 states). It feels like the marginal value of 75% autonomy 3-7 development provinces in Siberia and Tunguska (both from conquering and using my NI colonist) is pretty much zero. Do I need to be releasing permanent vassals? Should I just be accepting that I have blobbed to my hearts content and have nothing left to do except force my way to the sea and take over colonial nations for tariffs?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arcturas posted:

EU 4 question for y'all. What should I be doing to get value out of expanding once I'm at or exceeding my state limit? I'm playing a Muscovy->Russia game right now and since I can conquer a bunch of lovely land from Oirat and those folks every 15 years I have expanded way farther East than is probably valuable. Combining that with eating the Ottomans and PLC and chunks of Sweden means I am way over my state limit (even with...Administrative? The one that gives 5 states). It feels like the marginal value of 75% autonomy 3-7 development provinces in Siberia and Tunguska (both from conquering and using my NI colonist) is pretty much zero. Do I need to be releasing permanent vassals? Should I just be accepting that I have blobbed to my hearts content and have nothing left to do except force my way to the sea and take over colonial nations for tariffs?
I'm sure someone will get back to you in this thread because most people read both threads, but there is a dedicated EU4 thread if you like keeping up with the game and the crazy poo poo some people do in it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725024

Your State Limit will steadily increase over the course of the game, which is cool and gives you a reason to keep growing. Having the 75% Autonomy land is better than an enemy having it, however if you dont mind managing a vassal or three yeah you can pop one out so they own the land at 0% autonomy (eventually) and get more out of it than you do.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Much like Jesus, Corn in the Bible forgives but he never forgets

Only God Forgives

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
my vicky 2 experience

start as USCA, figure out how to beat the inital revolt. maintain unity. change tax policy and attract capitalists. very slowly tend to the needs of the capitalists as they drop out for lack of education or whatever. try to give them money. watch as they slowly accumulate funds. good, good soon we will have our first factory, our industrialization will be slow but mighty and the armies of central america wi- what the gently caress, a glass factory? i dont even have coal you sons of bitches. gently caress it, 100% taxes on the rich

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Agean90 posted:

Also politics has no affect on the flow of goods, meaning you can be at war with some on and still sell guns to them due to how the world market works

Also playing a minor power can suck, because your economy will crash 9 times outta 10 if you get sphered

Yeah I always found it weird that Vicky had no embargo mechanics of any kind. Although maybe they tried it at some point and it just broke the economic model too much (I could easily see being embargoed by a great power with a lot of nations in their sphere to be a death sentence no matter how strong your own economy is).

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm sure someone will get back to you in this thread because most people read both threads, but there is a dedicated EU4 thread if you like keeping up with the game and the crazy poo poo some people do in it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725024

Your State Limit will steadily increase over the course of the game, which is cool and gives you a reason to keep growing. Having the 75% Autonomy land is better than an enemy having it, however if you dont mind managing a vassal or three yeah you can pop one out so they own the land at 0% autonomy (eventually) and get more out of it than you do.

Apparently I am really bad at finding threads. Thanks!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Wasn't the guy who coded Victoria 2's economy some crazy Thatcherite who wanted to have the model prove the :smug: superiority of the free market :smug: but instead because your Capitalists are all pants on head retarded the way to actually have a winning economy was always state capitalism or full communism?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Wasn't the guy who coded Victoria 2's economy some crazy Thatcherite who wanted to have the model prove the :smug: superiority of the free market :smug: but instead because your Capitalists are all pants on head retarded the way to actually have a winning economy was always state capitalism or full communism?
He's also the reason "anarcho-liberal" is a thing in the game, when it wasn't a noteworthy movement.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
The saddest part of Vicky 2 is that actual anarchists aren't in it, other than as technologies.

Same with HOI4 passed Belgium and Cambodia.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The saddest part of Vicky 2 is that actual anarchists aren't in it, other than as technologies.

Same with HOI4 passed Belgium and Cambodia.

There's no events similar to the Paris Commune? Or does that get lumped into communism?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Skwirl posted:

There's no events similar to the Paris Commune? Or does that get lumped into communism?
Wasn't Blanquism a prominent ideology among the Communards, though? It doesn't seem right to label them as strictly and solely anarchists.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Ofaloaf posted:

Wasn't Blanquism a prominent ideology among the Communards, though? It doesn't seem right to label them as strictly and solely anarchists.

In the sense that they were the most professionally organised, but basically in accordance with Blanquism, there weren't that many of them.

e:Definitely an essential part of the history though, you're right.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 14, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
What, anarchists aren't in Vicky? I can see how it'd be hard to model their government but I thought they'd appear as rebels or something.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I don't know how you'd represent an ideology that is all about the state being unnecessary in a game that's all about states, but anarcho-liberal guy probably didn't even try.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Kavak posted:

I don't know how you'd represent an ideology that is all about the state being unnecessary in a game that's all about states, but anarcho-liberal guy probably didn't even try.

You play as anarchist rebels instead

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Capitalists get replaced by craftsmen, a few more reforms unlock for stuff like workplace democracy. I could see it working.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Capitalists get replaced by craftsmen, a few more reforms unlock for stuff like workplace democracy. I could see it working.

That is an interesting idea and would allow Syndicalism in as well.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Kavak posted:

That is an interesting idea and would allow Syndicalism in as well.

i could have sworn there was a mod that gave you more options for communism so you didnt have be a totalitarian bolshevik

also thanks a lot guys now im screwing around in vicky 2 again. christ the military system is a mess now that ive seen all the advances in EU4 and HOI4

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Agean90 posted:

i could have sworn there was a mod that gave you more options for communism so you didnt have be a totalitarian bolshevik

also thanks a lot guys now im screwing around in vicky 2 again. christ the military system is a mess now that ive seen all the advances in EU4 and HOI4

Yeah I remember seeing it in the Byzantine mega-lp, but I can't remember the name of it either.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

play new world order lol

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I really hope Victoria 3 has all sorts of political ideologies modeled. Or at least a handful done really well.

Kavak posted:

Assuming anarchists took over, you could model this by untagging states. They would be incredibly vulnerable to foreign seizure, but uh... that's because anarchism is loving retarded in real life.

Alternatively, you could have your government change hands (as is in the game now) but its replaced with despotism of whatever flavor the movement was.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Given the shitshow that was stellaris discussion after ideologies got revealed, I hope victoria 3 has none at all.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Senor Dog posted:

Given the shitshow that was stellaris discussion after ideologies got revealed, I hope victoria 3 has none at all.
Amen brother.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The only ideologies in Vicky 3 will be "Is King of kwaZulu" and "Will Be Killed By King of kwaZulu".

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I recall somebody talking about a mod they were developing which would add anarchists and anarchist societies into the game.
As far as I recall, it involved a new POP type called "Red Craftsmen", who had the ability to collectively fund the construction of factories and railways, like Capitalists currently do.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

ThaumPenguin posted:

I recall somebody talking about a mod they were developing which would add anarchists and anarchist societies into the game.
As far as I recall, it involved a new POP type called "Red Craftsmen", who had the ability to collectively fund the construction of factories and railways, like Capitalists currently do.

Announcing a hot new Kickstarter: Glass Factory In Virginia! Get in on the early bird level to get your name carved onto one of the bricks. We have a limited upper tier reward where you'll get to personally starve the children one day a week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Senor Dog posted:

I think that depends on how are Paradox tries, as most of the shitstorm was how half assed they were